What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wiff rant (1 Viewer)

As Ernie Harwell used to say,  "he stood there like a house by the side of the road".
That's right. You're a Tiger fan. Sort of bittersweet when Harwell was going through his last days and the other team or the national broadcast would let him call the game over their call letters. He always did a good job, but it was sad knowing that it was the end for him doing games.

That's right. You're a Tiger fan. Sort of bittersweet when Harwell was going through his last days and the other team or the national broadcast would let him call the game over their call letters. He always did a good job, but it was sad knowing that it was the end for him doing games.
per wiki, "For 55 seasons, 42 of them with the Detroit Tigers, Harwell called the action on radio and/or television."

so he had a good run.

rockaction said:

Leroy Hoard said:
per wiki, "For 55 seasons, 42 of them with the Detroit Tigers, Harwell called the action on radio and/or television."

so he had a good run.
It was a crazy big deal when he passed. There was a viewing at Comerica Park- thousands and thousands of people went. Kind of weird IMO but he's a legend in these parts for as long as those who remember listening to baseball games over the radio live on. 

It was a crazy big deal when he passed. There was a viewing at Comerica Park- thousands and thousands of people went. Kind of weird IMO but he's a legend in these parts for as long as those who remember listening to baseball games over the radio live on. 
I honestly didn't know that he had passed; I just remembered his retirement. He was truly entertaining to listen to, even for the brief time he was allowed over the air into my consciousness. RIP.

I honestly didn't know that he had passed; I just remembered his retirement. He was truly entertaining to listen to, even for the brief time he was allowed over the air into my consciousness. RIP.
9 years ago now

"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

Last edited by a moderator:
9 years ago now

"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."
Wow. I must have known and forgotten. Nine years? Seems like yesterday I just heard him calling a game...

My apologies to Mr. Harwell and my state of mind. RIP. 

9 years ago now

I believe he would recite that passage just before the season began.

Users who are viewing this thread