What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VBD baselines (1 Viewer)

mmierop4

Footballguy
Hi team,

looking at different settings to calibrate my personal thoughts on rankings and touching the VBD baseline values to see what happens.

Is it a sound thought to adjust the baseline to the projected pt totals of players?      so baseline is each positions #12 player

this definately moved players around, with TE and QB jumping (Ertz rank #8 ADP #23)(Mahomes rank #15 ADP #24) and RB, WR falling slightly.

opinions? thoughts on this?

thanks team

Im not sure which value you are editing in the VBD sheet, but the assumption of the baseline being player 12 might not be the best across all skill positions. TE is very top heavy so the assumption that player 12 is where the value starts would push Ertz higher, as his points total relative to player 12 is significant. RB and WR would see drops, as the points difference across the top players to player 12 is not nearly as significant. Especially when there are 40 or so wrs that will score similar points compared to the 12th TE. 

Again, without knowing what values you are editing in the sheet its hard to say, but I do not like the idea of forcing a similar baseline across all skill positions. 

Got it. Unless your league has unique settings for the number of skills positions you can start, or unique scoring, etc. it does not benefit you to adjust the VBD values. it would be very easy to over value the wrong positions. Just as you described it would raise TE and QB with drops in RB and WR but assuming a standard around position 12. This places far to much value on the QB and TE position. Again if you have some crazy two QB and two TE league with extra points at both positions, you can skill account for that in the Scoring and and other dominator settings. I strongly recommend against adjusting these values. 

If you have target players keep them listed and dont feel bad about taking a player earlier if you really trust your gut, but use the draft dominator as a tool for comparison. 

As far as I understand it, the VBD baselines in the draft dominator have completely fixed values, so it makes a lot of sense to adjust them to your individual league scoring/settings. It's actually one of the weak point of the draft dominator in my eyes, it should be able to determine the baselines itself based on the league settings.

I aggree with snoochieboochies that simply taking the #12 player is not the way to do it.

In a 12 team league starting 1QB , 2 RB and 3 WR, the starting player baseline should be the 12th QB, the 24th RB and the 36th WR. You can either take last years league results, or take this year's projections to find their scores. If you have flex positions, you got to split it up between 2 or more positions in a way that you think will happen. Often, TEs aren't used at the flex position for exemple. In very standard leagues the number you will have will come pretty close to the one set by the Draft Dominator, but in exotic scorings, especially 2 QBs , Superflex or 2 TE leagues, the baseline of those positions will be way lower than the set values, resulting in the players having more "value".

As far as the worst bench baseline goes, you will have to guess how many players will be rostered at each position. If you think everybody will roster 2 QBs, than it's the #24 QB as the baseline. In 2 QB leagues you can expect every QB to be rostered for exemple, so the number will be pretty close to 0.

When drafting, the "rostered player baseline" becomes more important during the second half of a draft, when you fill up your bench. It clearly indicates which position is harder to find on the waiver wire during the season.

Unfortunatelly, if you override the baselines in the draft dominator while drafting, it overrides the values in all your active drafts. It's also always reset itself to the standard values everytime you closes it.

tl,dr: you can keep VBD baselines in standard format leagues, but absolutely need to change it in exotic formats.

Users who are viewing this thread