What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adirondacks - the mountains, not the chairs (1 Viewer)

zoobird

Footballguy
Thought I’d start a thread for all things Adirondacks.  Looks like no thread on the topic exists, and a small amount of info is scattered around in other threads.  There must be a fair number of people on here who spend time there or have done so in the past...and if not, then there definitely should be!  The Adirondacks are an awesome place to do all sorts of outdoors activities. I spent a lot of time there as a kid, took about twenty five years off (which I regret) and have started going there at least a few days each summer for the past few years.  The place is huge - nearly the size of Yellowstone, and you could spend an entire lifetime exploring it...so I’m definitely a newb. That said, if there’s interest, I’ll share what I know and hope others can do the same.

Going to start with a tip on something we didn’t discover until our third short trip to Lake Placid.  Swimming in Chapel Pond is a great experience, and is the type of ‘secret adventure’ that makes the Adirondacks special.  If you’re coming from NY, Boston or Albany towards Lake Placid (which is where we generally stay) you’ll be going North on Route 87 until you exit on Route 73.  Chapel Pond is hard to miss - it’s the first of the spectacular lakes that you’ll see on the left side of the road with huge cliffs dropping straight down to the water. The "secret" part of it is that you can swim there, and you may find yourself completely alone if you go at the right time.  There’s at least one parking area at the side of the road just past the pond and cars will sometimes be parked along the side of the road (although it’s not supposed to be allowed). Don’t be discouraged though...most of those parked are there for the nearby hiking trails or rock climbing.  

If you follow the unmarked trails at the left (facing the pond) end of the pond, you should be able to find your way onto a beachy area less than 100 yards away.  Parts of it are a bit muddy, but don’t let that stop you. There’s a small area that’s mostly kind of sandy...and the water gets deep FAST, so you won’t be standing a whole lot anyway.  We spent an hour swimming there in mid-July, and only saw two other people (who left about halfway through) go near the lake. Other than that, we had the lake to ourselves, able to enjoy a swim with the amazing cliffs looming on either side of us.

My mother is from Cranberry Lake, so I also spent many summer weekends up there as a kid. I haven’t been back since high school (mid-90s). I do miss it and plan to take my family back at some point. The geography can be amazingly beautiful and unlike anywhere else in the country. 

If anyone is interested, I can elaborate on any of the following:

Why Lake Placid > Lake George

Railbiking

Island hopping on Lower Saranac Lake in kayaks

Driving up Whiteface Mountain

Food in Lake Placid

Crane Mountain hike

Best hike in NY State (which I haven't done, but have been researching)

Food in Lake Placid
I'd be interested in your take and/or recommendations here. We've been going every 4th of July with my wife's family for the past 10 years or so. Love the fireworks over Mirror Lake, but we haven't had too much luck with our dining choices lately. I'm wondering if we're overlooking some place good. 

Some of us do the drive up Whiteface and then the short walk to the top at least every other year, which I love. This summer was the first that we also tried out the gondola up Little Whiteface - that was pretty neat as well. 

jhib said:
I'd be interested in your take and/or recommendations here. We've been going every 4th of July with my wife's family for the past 10 years or so. Love the fireworks over Mirror Lake, but we haven't had too much luck with our dining choices lately. I'm wondering if we're overlooking some place good.
The food in Lake Placid (and I think the Adirondacks in general) really isn't the best.  The crowds and difficulty parking in town at peak times just add to the problem.  That said, what we've found so far:

There are surprisingly many bbq restaurants in Lake Placid.  Most aren't very good, but we thought Smoke Signals was MUCH better than the others that we've tried (Pickled Pig and Delta Blue).  It's on par with some of the better bbq in NY/NJ...so plenty good enough for me, but maybe not for anyone who's spent much time in the South.  Pickled Pig is ok if you're really hungry and have low expectations.

The food in the restaurant at the Crown Plaza (short walk up hill from village) is very average, but the view is amazing...especially if you sit outside.  The one really exceptionally tasty thing there is the chipotle chicken sandwich, which is really good.

There's a crepe place in town that we ate at a couple of visits ago and I think it was good.

Main Street Pizza was fine, although nothing special.

jhib said:

Some of us do the drive up Whiteface and then the short walk to the top at least every other year, which I love. This summer was the first that we also tried out the gondola up Little Whiteface - that was pretty neat as well. 
Been a while since I have been up there, but I do remember having good meals at Cafe Rustica (Italian) and Lisa G's (pub food).  The restaurant in the Whiteface Lodge was good too.

dot.

did the IM lake placid, but other than that (and a couple training weekends up there) have spent no time in the area. it was beautiful and I'd love to go back... but IIRC, about 5hrs away from the city? that's a long trip for a weekend.

Just as everybody would live in Oregon if it werent for the rain, the rest would live in the Catskills/Adirondacks except for the snow. To be that idyllic but just a hop, skip, jump from the City is fantastic.

My favorite Adirondacks memories arent really memories. When i had weeks between tours backinaday, i'd go up and visit my bff who was going to college (year-round) in Vt to chill. I didnt smoke pot so i'd double down on the booze and whatever else (except for greenies to keep me going, i'd never get loaded on tour cuz i was mgmt) and i have flashes of memory about a lot of things but only Jeff remembers them well enough to be stories, so i dont have any. But each of these chill weeks entailed an entirely hungover trip to the Adirondacks in Jeff's perpetual search for jumping gorges. All of upstate NY is so heavily glacier-cut that there are river gorges frikkin everywhere and gettin' whiskied up and jumping off the highest possible point into pools of water was nirvana for Jeff. I'm acrophobic and couldnt go beyond a 15-20 ft bunny bump, but me pal's mania grew so that once, in the Jemez Mts of NM, i saw him do a jump that was not only over 70 feet up but required getting 10 feet OUT to clear the cliffs on the way down. Got a standing O from the couple-dozen folks @ the swiimin' hole. His Johnny Carson moment.

But i got all these intense memories of Adirondack river gorges however, because i was too hungover going out & too drunk coming back, i cant tell you where any of em were.

zoobird said:
Railbiking
Question about Ralbiking.  I have just started looking into this.  My daughter goes to college in Utica and I was thinking about taking her on a railbike trip when I take her back to college.  I was also looking to possibly combine it with an Adirondack Scenic Railroad ride from Utica.  They used to have a 'combo' trip where you would take the train, go on a railbike ride, then ride the train back to Utica.  Was wondering where you did railbiking and if you had any experience with the scenic railroad ride.

One last question, are any of the railbike trips scary for someone afraid of heights?  I saw some trips go over a river bridge.

Question about Ralbiking.  I have just started looking into this.  My daughter goes to college in Utica and I was thinking about taking her on a railbike trip when I take her back to college.  I was also looking to possibly combine it with an Adirondack Scenic Railroad ride from Utica.  They used to have a 'combo' trip where you would take the train, go on a railbike ride, then ride the train back to Utica.  Was wondering where you did railbiking and if you had any experience with the scenic railroad ride.

One last question, are any of the railbike trips scary for someone afraid of heights?  I saw some trips go over a river bridge.
We went in North Creek.  It was fun and scenic, but not spectacular.  I'd probably do it again in another location, but wouldn't repeat the same location.

That was last year, and I think a location in Saranac Lake was about to open a few days later on a portion of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad track.  I forgot to check this year whether that ended up happening.  If it did, maybe there's some kind of combined route with railroad + railbike...unless the railroad is no longer operating.

The most interesting part of the North Creek route was a high crossing over a river.  I suppose if you're VERY afraid of heights it might be uncomfortable, but I'm mildly uncomfortable with heights (won't go on roller coasters, won't stand or even watch my kids stands on the glass floored part of observation decks) and I wasn't at all afraid while railbiking across the river.

Users who are viewing this thread