What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foreigner: Favorite Song (All-Time Rank) (1 Viewer)

Favorite Song

• Blue Morning Blue Day

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Feels Like The First Time

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Jukebox Hero

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Cold As Ice

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Dirty White Boy

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Waiting For A Girl Like You

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Double Vision

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I Want To Know What Love Is

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Hot Blooded

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Urgent

• I Don't Want To Live Without You

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Head Games

• Long Long Way From Home

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Say You Will

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I voted "very good", but probably should've gone with "okay". They weren't transcendent or even very clever, but they knew how to create songs that sounded good on the radio and were full of hooks. Sorta like Eagles or Journey.

"Long Long Way From Home" was my song choice.

EB, did you choose "HOF"?

I voted "very good", but probably should've gone with "okay". They weren't transcendent or even very clever, but they knew how to create songs that sounded good on the radio and were full of hooks. Sorta like Eagles or Journey.

Yeah I almost went with “very good” and then thought relative to other bands/artists they are “okay” at best and went with that. I like a bunch of their songs but I could live with never hearing them again and not miss it.

Went with Long Long Way but have never liked Foreigner.   As the list shows, they put out a decent amount of rememberable songs but they all sound very similar to me.   I get bored with their songs quickly and its tough to make it though one song.   

I wouldn't turn the channel if they came on but I never went out and bought any of the albums/tapes/cd's.

Actually, if "Waiting for a girl like you" came on, I would turn the channel.

Lesser version of the eagles or journey.

Opened the thread thinking I might not even know a song they did, then recognized most, liked a few. But as a whole they're entirely forgettable. 

Urgent and Double Vision are tied for me. I said excellent. For it's time, Mic was a good songwriter imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have good songs, but they are one of those bands that if I never heard a song of theirs again, I wouldn't care.  There were tons of rock bands who were around at the same time who were significantly better. 

Starrider is probably their best song, yet isn't an option here. 

Went with Corporate Rock. Just seemed like a fitting category.

Not a huge fan. For the song, I picked Double Vision because of its weird synth that probably sounds good on gak. 

Starrider is probably their best song, yet isn't an option here. 
Good call - was going to say Starrider as well.

I also put them in the “ok” camp. Strong group of musicians and some good hooks,  but nothing special for their time.

Like other bands of their era (notably Styx, Journey, REO) they had several decent albums in the 70s, one career defining  album in the early ‘80s (4) and then fell off the cliff with a bunch of turkeys through the ‘80s (although Journey did have Frontiers)

For it's time, [guitarist Mick Jones] was a good songwriter imo.
I think the songs as lyrical compositions are OK. Better than average, but not particularly noteworthy among their contemporary peers. I like Mick Jones, but appreciate his musicianship more than his writing.

Lou Gramm's vocals, however, simply elevated those tunes THAT much. That guy is a hugely underrated rock singer.

Voted for "Juke Box Hero" where Gramm slides effortlesstly between haunting wistfulness and blood-pumping excitement. Jones is in solid form, and a young Thomas Dolby keys out a foreboding sonic backdrop.

I did as well, in 1985. Their music does not hold up. At all.
I can see what you're saying, but I think if you appreciate heavy/loud/glam/trash/lounge act sort of stuff, they still really work somehow. The synths in 1984 almost kill the album they're so in the foreground (think I'll Wait) but they are who they are.

I will say it's sad that I spent so much seventh and eighth grade energy on liking them. Just my two cents on that. 

Went with Long Long Way but have never liked Foreigner.   As the list shows, they put out a decent amount of rememberable songs but they all sound very similar to me.   I get bored with their songs quickly and its tough to make it though one song.   
Voted "Okay". I agree that a lot of their songs sound the same.

Ultimate okay band.  A lot of these songs are listenable and they definitely had multiple hits.

They don't really raise the heart rate too much though.

Voted Juke Box Hero but Feels like the First Time and Hot Blooded are equally good.

Corporate Rock/"Dirty White Boy"

... and if i wasn't bored out my ####in' skull i woulda never bothered to pop in here - they are the epitome of "meh" - disposable pablum for the less adventurous masses :shrug:

I'm in lock-step agreement with you on this.

I hated Van Halen growing up , was a punk/new wave guy but Ain’t Talkin’Bout Love is a great song. Still hat them 
I'll join your Van Halen hater's club, and I agree Ain't Talkin' About Love kicks ###.  And file Ice Cream Man away under guilty pleasure songs.  <<< semi-colon didn't feel right.

Their songs range from OK to Very Good but as a band, they're the epitome of Corporate Rock.

Urgent is Very Good.

YACHT ROCK!

Upon first viewing of options I was certain my choice would be Urgent.  Then Hot Blooded.  Last night I was about to finalize with Cold As Ice.

Then I remembered a great dad moment from a couple months ago:  driving home from work headed to little girl’s school (she’s 4 and a half) and it comes on about 2 minutes out from pulling in.  Windows go down, volume maxed out, and I am slaying, the judges have all slammed the button and had their chair switch around to see this rock god.  The kids were all out on the school playground, they all know my car, as does my daughter who yells happily at my arrival.  I do a slow lap around the parking lot because I’m finishing this masterpiece.  Her face, lord I wish I had the camera ready for the very first and very real memory of dad-caused embarrassment. 

Their song for me is none other than I Wanna Know What Love Is

Pretty spot on, they had some good hooks but nothing exceptional. I was actually more into The Babys (very similar) in h.s. but Foreigner was more popular. Graduated in ‘80.

I think LWH was my favorite back in the day but went with FLTFT, pretty sure that was the first song I heard from them.

To me, their quintessential song is "Urgent." But in seventh grade (the year Foreigner 4 came out) my friend and I wrote an epic parody of "Juke Box Hero" on the school bus - "Nuke War Hero." So I voted for that.

Users who are viewing this thread