What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Management People question in Retail: If you have an employee who won't work weekends and not a great worker how long till you fire/get rid of them? (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
Backstory to the situation I have a friend who works at one of those knockoff Verizon Stores the Go Wireless which is separate from the Main Verizon stores. He works in the King of Prussia area about  35 mins with Traffic from Philly where the Biggest Mall in America KOP is and a pretty ritzy area. He has past management experience with the company but has had bad luck with running stores that don't do so well or having to just replace a guy who didn't work out and having to clean up their ####. He just got a lets see how you do for a month with this store trial run as the SD of his store was moving out of town do to some personal issues and addictions so it was best for him to leave. 

The problem: My friend has one other person at his store hardly ever listened to him when he wasn't a manager. This is a problem as usually in retail the person with more experience you listen to no matter what unless a manager says other wise. Dude was never great with customers either so my friend would always be telling him he's doing wrong protocol and such. The guy also does videoograpghy and other things during the weekend. Shoots videos and stuff for very small clients making amateur videos for music and such so he cannot work weekends and even refused. My buddy just 2 days ago told me that the kid is basically fired once he is able to get a new employee at the start of next month coming in. Weekends are the busiest time and they make money off commission so he's basically telling his employer I really don't care about making $$$ or working

The Question: If you were a manager knowing the guy can't work weekends already would you have hired him? Most retail stores weekends is the busiest time of the week. If you did hire him and knew he didn't follow orders from other employees telling him he did stuff wrong how long would he have lasted for you? Let him off with a warning first suspension if it keeps up then termination? 

The main problem from what I was getting here wasn't just the guy didn't listen to my friend but my buddy has a tendency to be too nice and let people walk over him and that's not good as a manager. I think he tries to be too friendly with the co workers which then negatively impacts some of his decision making and he also hates confrontation with co workers. I told him he needs to stop being so nice to the co workers if he's managing the store. They'll see that as weakness to you and will try to get other favors out of you. Now granted there's being nice and then theres being consistent and fair. My department manager is fair on how she runs things but doesn't go out of her way to be our friend all the time either. The guy in question at my buddies store I wouldn't have hired if I knew he couldn't work weekends at all and refused too begin with. Had I hired him and found out the other stuff I would've just let him go on the spot given the fact I shouldn't have to keep an employee who refuses to work the busiest days of my business week. 

TLDR

But if you have enough coverage to take care of weekends who cares if one person is only a weekday worker? it's not like that guys attendance on a weekend is going to save somebody's life.

Tldr

But in retail, if a guy doesn't work weekends and still sucks at his job, the other workers will start to resent management if you don't fire him.
Wut? I used to work retail at one of the heavyweights in the retail picture. From what I saw over a considerable amount of time, retail workers (outside of management) really don't much care about their or other's work. It's a mindless, repetitive job day after day. The large majority clock in, do their job, keep their heads down and mind their business, and go home.

Wut? I used to work retail at one of the heavyweights in the retail picture. From what I saw over a considerable amount of time, retail workers (outside of management) really don't much care about their or other's work. It's a mindless, repetitive job day after day. The large majority clock in, do their job, keep their heads down and mind their business, and go home.
Not the retail I've worked. You have that do your job and go home a bit but if they see one guy getting away with stuff like not working weekends, that's going to piss people off.

Fire the guy. DO NOT WAIT. Your friend will be feel 1000 times better.
You will be doing this guy(fired guy) a favor. He knows he's bad at this
job and doesn't care.

You can not enforce any rules or discipline when you let a worker slack
off. The other workers will not respect you. Retail or not.

I’d say get back to me when the guy actually performs a fireable offense. So far you have listed he doesn’t work on weekends, which they obviously knew when they hired him, and he doesn’t listen to other non-management employees. Now that your buddy is the manager, if the employee still refuses to listen to him, then he can fire him.To date, I don’t see what the guy has done wrong.

Would think you’d have to talk to HR. If working weekends was not part of the job description when hired you’d need to document where he’s falling short on performance. 

What was his stated availability when he applied for the job? Live by that and if you hired him knowing that he can't work weekends then you are the Idiot. Otherwise you make them live up to what they were hired to work.

Have been food and beverage operations for 25yrs (similar demands on the scheduling).....

I have let go countless marginal employees with scheduling limitations.  Cut bait and move on.  

Tldr

But in retail, if a guy doesn't work weekends and still sucks at his job, the other workers will start to resent management if you don't fire him.
Love me some TLDR. I even have sold my sales team on it. Give me the TL;DR if you're going to send a wall of text that I don't have time nor interest in reading. 

Tldr

Yeah I agree. However the good thing for my buddy is it's just him and this guy at the store 

TLDR

But if you have enough coverage to take care of weekends who cares if one person is only a weekday worker? it's not like that guys attendance on a weekend is going to save somebody's life.
problem is he has no one but himself to cover weekends so he's in a tough spot. The dude has refused to work weekends 

Not the retail I've worked. You have that do your job and go home a bit but if they see one guy getting away with stuff like not working weekends, that's going to piss people off.
Yep thats me. when I did carts and stuff at my Job I literally worked all weekend Fri/Sat/Sun granted I was out early but I had one co worker who hardly worked Sat/SUn and called out if they did work those days. People in my industry see others get away with stuff and do get pissed. Now special circumstances in some cases like students who had sports on weekends but once the sport was over they were back working weekends. 

A lot of retail outfits will schedule a bad employee one hour a week in hopes they just quit. 
LOL Thats what my job did. Schedule them one or two days hope they quit. We had a guy we hoped quit but decided instead to no call no show 3 times in a row so the next time he came in he was canned. Was over the Christmas holiday so a very merry Christmas to him 

Based on how you characterize him it sounds like your buddy isn’t really “manager material.” I could write a book-long post on how to make him a retail manager but it’s just too much to get into here.

So I’ll just say, set expectations for everyone. Treat everyone fairly. Back up what you say with action and documentation. Easier to be tougher at first, then back off some. If the one guy isn’t cutting it, have a talk about performance and what that needs to look like. If he doesn’t meet that let him go. Be clear with him at that time that it’s performance based. This isn’t really about weekends.

I’d say get back to me when the guy actually performs a fireable offense. So far you have listed he doesn’t work on weekends, which they obviously knew when they hired him, and he doesn’t listen to other non-management employees. Now that your buddy is the manager, if the employee still refuses to listen to him, then he can fire him.To date, I don’t see what the guy has done wrong.
I actually listed that he didn't listen to my buddy as a non manager when he was breaking protocol on some things when helping people with. That seems enough to discipline the guy 

It's true, the guy who hired this guy should be the one who gets fired. 
That I'm not sure who hired him. I don't know if the outgoing manager hired him or someone else and I don't know how the hire process for his company really works. Not sure if it's by store based or you just apply online and they shove you in a store that needs help in your general area. 

A lot of retail outfits will schedule a bad employee one hour a week in hopes they just quit. 
Don’t be a rinky dink retail outlet that does this passive aggressive grade school crap. Just a terrible way to conduct yourself. If you’re an adult run the business like one.

What was his stated availability when he applied for the job? Live by that and if you hired him knowing that he can't work weekends then you are the Idiot. Otherwise you make them live up to what they were hired to work.
I'm not entirely sure if he said he could or not. But from what I'm getting out of the conversations there seems to have not been any limitations of working weekends. I think what happened was there was more employees at the store originally. My buddy was transferred to help this store as they lost a few employees. Recently in the last 3 months his Manager was leaving and moving to Colorado as he's a recovering Alcoholic and he thought best a move out of the area will help his recovery and keep him straight. Since employees left the employee in mind has been needed to work more weekends. My friend was given the Manager position on a trial based as he has past experience with it already at the store. Now it's just him and this guy who won't work weekends. He's getting a new employee and the dude is basically fired but nothing will be official till August 5th. 

This sounds a little similar to my situation where at the time I was told I didn't have to work Sundays if I didn't want to and I told them just ask me if they need me to work a Sunday or in an emergency. After 2 of my co workers were fired in march I went from not having to work Sundays besides maybe once a month till working every Sunday unless I took the day off for one reason or another but I didn't refuse to not work it. 

I'd probably look to hire some ex ICE agents.. good, hard working folk.
I'd rather not. I'm afraid they might mistaken my employee who's of Mexican Decent and also a veteran as an illegal and take them in despite the proper paper work...

Interesting, not working weekends and retail means he's losing 80% of the earning window. 

I wish someone would work the crap hours and I only had to work prime time. 

Thankfully it's been over 30 years since I worked in the retail industry. 

I'd rather not. I'm afraid they might mistaken my employee who's of Mexican Decent and also a veteran as an illegal and take them in despite the proper paper work...
the irony of employing all the ignorance that goes into racism against a government agency you are accusing of such is off the charts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - I'm sticking with the need for a better manager.

Good managers can figure out retail 101 without fantasy football message board input.

guy was hired knowing he wouldn't work weekends because he has another job.  you need someone to work during the week and if he doesn't care about getting bigger commissions (because he has a 2nd job), why is that any business of your buddy's?  also, if the buddy wasn't his boss, the guy has no real reason to listen to him.  at some point you may have said he is his boss now, but i skimmed after you included so many unneeded details.

anyway, if he sucks at the job, boss should fire him.  but not working weekends (when he was hired with that known in advance), shouldn't be a reason imo.

just write the guy a letter and tell him he has to read it trust me he will quit immeditaely take that to the bank bromigo

spOOfy said:
guy was hired knowing he wouldn't work weekends because he has another job.  you need someone to work during the week and if he doesn't care about getting bigger commissions (because he has a 2nd job), why is that any business of your buddy's?  also, if the buddy wasn't his boss, the guy has no real reason to listen to him.  at some point you may have said he is his boss now, but i skimmed after you included so many unneeded details.

anyway, if he sucks at the job, boss should fire him.  but not working weekends (when he was hired with that known in advance), shouldn't be a reason imo.
In his job field it's mandatory they work weekends as it's the busiest time of the week. I use to work at a Gamestop and it was mandatory you work 2 of the 3 busiest days plus available for any big releases or midnight releases. If you couldn't they didn't hire you. Given my other job my current job it was mandatory for me to work Sundays so I would work GS Friday Open or early afternoon depending on work schedule and work Sat till close which was 9. I was told today by my buddy that this worker was hired because he told them HE COULD WORK WEEKENDS. He did ask for a weekend here and there off but at that time which I said there was more employees then. within the last 6 months he's been telling everyone he can't work weekends now. From my understanding the filming stuff was just a hobby his at that time of hiring. Didn't really work weekended did it as a side thing hobby not really making money hence him applying for the current job. 

My buddy was a former store manager himself. This guy was a newer employee not doing his job well enough. PA is an AT WILL TO WORK State meaning Employers in PA don't need a reason to fire someone. So the company or my buddies manager at the time could've told the guy he was done working with them since he wouldn't work weekends after he initial told them he could. My Store Director has flat out told at least 3 of my former co workers if they can't work certain days of jobs they were needed then they can leave and couldn't work there anymore and they can come back though when they armor available. 

Fishboy said:
Interesting, not working weekends and retail means he's losing 80% of the earning window. 

I wish someone would work the crap hours and I only had to work prime time. 

Thankfully it's been over 30 years since I worked in the retail industry. 
Yeah I agree I wish I could do that 

So talking to my buddy yesterday I found out more info my conclusion is my buddy was put in a ####ty position to star

1. Kid was hired by a DM no longer there as a part timer (despite the company not liking to hire nor does it hire part timers) as he was in school)

2. This year took a year off from school he's 20

3. old manager had a I don't give a #### attitude was gonna take his PTO time while out in Colorado then leave the company. Basically let the kid get away with what ever. Manager just had a tough break up when my buddy got there 8 months ago has issues with drinking hence why he was leaving for Colorado

4. Kid lives 5 mins from the store opened the store at least 5 times in the last 2 weeks late. 1 time you get a write up 2nd termination

5. Company doesn't want to fire him as it seems like they don't have an available workers to transfer to my buddies store

6. He's getting a new person on the 5th of Aug and he's worked with the guy before. Works at the busiest store in the district and top sales guy

Overall it seems my buddy was left with a ####ty situation and was ####ed from day 1 of this. Sucks for my buddy but it looks like he only has another week or so to deal with this future fired employee. 

Backstory to the situation I have a friend who works at one of those knockoff Verizon Stores the Go Wireless which is separate from the Main Verizon stores. He works in the King of Prussia area about  35 mins with Traffic from Philly where the Biggest Mall in America KOP is and a pretty ritzy area. He has past management experience with the company but has had bad luck with running stores that don't do so well or having to just replace a guy who didn't work out and having to clean up their ####. He just got a lets see how you do for a month with this store trial run as the SD of his store was moving out of town do to some personal issues and addictions so it was best for him to leave. 

The problem: My friend has one other person at his store hardly ever listened to him when he wasn't a manager. This is a problem as usually in retail the person with more experience you listen to no matter what unless a manager says other wise. Dude was never great with customers either so my friend would always be telling him he's doing wrong protocol and such. The guy also does videoograpghy and other things during the weekend. Shoots videos and stuff for very small clients making amateur videos for music and such so he cannot work weekends and even refused. My buddy just 2 days ago told me that the kid is basically fired once he is able to get a new employee at the start of next month coming in. Weekends are the busiest time and they make money off commission so he's basically telling his employer I really don't care about making $$$ or working

The Question: If you were a manager knowing the guy can't work weekends already would you have hired him? Most retail stores weekends is the busiest time of the week. If you did hire him and knew he didn't follow orders from other employees telling him he did stuff wrong how long would he have lasted for you? Let him off with a warning first suspension if it keeps up then termination? 

The main problem from what I was getting here wasn't just the guy didn't listen to my friend but my buddy has a tendency to be too nice and let people walk over him and that's not good as a manager. I think he tries to be too friendly with the co workers which then negatively impacts some of his decision making and he also hates confrontation with co workers. I told him he needs to stop being so nice to the co workers if he's managing the store. They'll see that as weakness to you and will try to get other favors out of you. Now granted there's being nice and then theres being consistent and fair. My department manager is fair on how she runs things but doesn't go out of her way to be our friend all the time either. The guy in question at my buddies store I wouldn't have hired if I knew he couldn't work weekends at all and refused too begin with. Had I hired him and found out the other stuff I would've just let him go on the spot given the fact I shouldn't have to keep an employee who refuses to work the busiest days of my business week. 
TLDR...

Milan still sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread