What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's so great about the sport of golf? (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
What makes you tune in for four hours of coverage on a Sunday? How is the sport of golf appealing?

ETA, not trying to stir the pot. I want to get into the sport but never got down to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gambling.  Napping.  Hot wives.  Nice scenery.  :shrug:

I am not a good golfer and haven't golfed in years.  But I like watching it a lot. 
I've been an avid golfer my whole life. Played for the high school team, been in a weekly league for 25 years, participate in a $20 cash drawing for every major. I never watch it. Even when I have a guy in the hunt. On the other hand, I love to watch baseball which most people consider boring.  :shrug:

For watching it probably helps if you play.

Imagine trying to hit a 5 foot putt in front of thousand people, with your life's work depending on it, to be a part of history. Now imagine making similar putts and shots over the course of 4 days. These guys do it at levels that are hard to imagine if you have even just gone to a driving range or played putt putt.

Watching the back 9 of the majors on Sunday is as good as sports gets.

It's relaxing - I'm usually good for a 20 minute nap during the telecast.

The venue changes every week, weather plays a big factor, and play is not confined within a small playing field.

They play beautiful courses.

There is always pressure, and it is interesting to see how players handle it or don't.

The focus is on multiple different and changing personalities every week - not just one or two stars.

It takes an enormous amount of skill.

There is very little subjective application of the rules, and referees or rules officials play a very small role.

As an avid golfer, I can appreciate and relate to the game.  I can also pick up tips and learn from the pros and the analysis. 

British Open was cool for morning drinking in college. I haven't watched golf since my buddies golfed back then. Just can't do it.  

I like watching elite sportsmen who use the same equipment that I've used, playing the same places that I've played, and making the same shots that I've made.

(Granted, I only make an elite-level shot 0.01% of the time. But those are the shots that inspire me to keep playing and keep watching.)

As for playing golf,

I am outside in a natural environment.

I have a choice of multiple courses, all of which are different and challenging.

I have a choice of tees I can play that further customizes my experience. 

I can play as long or as little as I want.

I can exercise heavily (carrying my bag), moderately (push cart), or lightly (riding).

I can play alone if I need a reset, play with new people, or play with friends.

I can drink, or not.

As someone who played nothing but ball sports growing up, it's really the only game with a ball where you don't need someone else to play.  I like to hike, but hiking while chasing a ball around is so much more fun.  The feel of a perfectly struck mid-iron is pretty sweet, especially when you walk up to the green and sink the putt.

It's really several games in one - long game/approach, chipping and pitching near the green, and putting.  All are totally different skills and all must be practiced and mastered to be any good.  I enjoy the challenge of practicing these skills.

When playing with others, I can play games within the game.  I can gamble too, which adds to the pressure and fun.

At the end of a round, I have a score that precisely reflects how well or poorly I played.  Add up/Post those scores and I have a handicaps that tells me how good of an overall player I am. 

After the round, I can enjoy a beer or 3 with my friends.

At the end of a round, I have a score that precisely reflects how well or poorly I played.  Add up/Post those scores and I have a handicaps that tells me how good of an overall player I am. 
This may be the most true/false statement ever about playing golf! Totally true in that the final score is a indication of how well the round went as a whole. But it's amazing how you can feel like you are "chasing it" all day and end up with a decent score or feel like you are crushing the ball and end up with a terrible one! 

As for watching on TV, I don't do it all the time but do enjoy watching it on occasion. A final round major with multiple players in contention is compelling drama and high entertainment, IMO. Tourney results can turn on any single shot at any moment. 

Love walking, clearing my head, embracing the challenge, shaking off demons to hit the perfect shot once in awhile. It’s basically you against your own ability (handicap) and you can play against anyone with it. Cute cart girls help too. 

As for watching I don’t like to watch easy courses where these guys shoot 25 under. No John Deere classics with lesser fields and lesser tests. I love watching when players have to hit perfect shots or get punished. Augusta, Carnoustie, most US Opens.

LPGA getting easier on the eye too. Fewer Laura Davies lookalikes. 

One of the things about golf that I find fascinating is that two players of different skill levels can shoot the same score and have wildly different reactions. 

I can shoot 80 and it would be a career low. I’d be ecstatic. Someone else could shoot 80 and throw all of their clubs in a lake. 

It’s just you against the course - and your own expectations. 

What makes you tune in for four hours of coverage on a Sunday? How is the sport of golf appealing?
Probably have to be a golf geek to really enjoy it. Otherwise it's basically nap time.

Men's golf, the skill level is off the charts. 

Women's golf they hit it as far or farther than the avg man, and make putts. They shoot 65 where you would shoot 85 from the same tees. Plus some of them are hot

This may be the most true/false statement ever about playing golf! Totally true in that the final score is a indication of how well the round went as a whole. But it's amazing how you can feel like you are "chasing it" all day and end up with a decent score or feel like you are crushing the ball and end up with a terrible one! 

As for watching on TV, I don't do it all the time but do enjoy watching it on occasion. A final round major with multiple players in contention is compelling drama and high entertainment, IMO. Tourney results can turn on any single shot at any moment. 
This is a great post. Well said

Golf boils down to you vs yourself. I know how often I choke when I put the slightest pressure on myself.  How these folks are able to quiet their demons and hit clutch shots amazes me.  And also, I’m entertained (encouraged?) when they can’t.

Plus, when on the course you can repeat the following ALL DAY and nobody seems to care:

Be the ball Danny

NOONAN!! MISS! NOONAN!!

I don't believe the heavy stuff is coming for quite some time

It's In The Hole!

Nananananana.........

You beast...you're a little monkey woman

You'll have nothing and like it

Double farts

$1000 BUCKS SAYS YOU MISS THAT PUTT

I couldn't watch golf until I played it.  The pros make it look so easy and until you have tried it you don't have any appreciation for what they are doing.  Plus it is a great napping sport.  You can nod off and still have an idea of what is happening every time you wake up and catch a glimpse. 

There is very little subjective application of the rules, and referees or rules officials play a very small role.
While I am not personally a fan of golf this is almost enough to make me watch by itself. I also like that the best player gets the most rewards. It's a 100% incentive/performance based pay structure. There are sponsorships but there are no guaranteed contracts. People are ALWAYS playing for something even if it's just overall point standings.

I used to love watching the NBA, but the officiating plays such a huge part in that sport it became unwatchable. There seems to be a separate set of rules for each player on the court. The golf course plays no favorites and punishes each player equally for each mistake. 

One the number one common factor in the thread is it is a good sport for napping, well... I think it speaks for itself.

While I am not personally a fan of golf this is almost enough to make me watch by itself. I also like that the best player gets the most rewards. It's a 100% incentive/performance based pay structure. There are sponsorships but there are no guaranteed contracts. People are ALWAYS playing for something even if it's just overall point standings.

I used to love watching the NBA, but the officiating plays such a huge part in that sport it became unwatchable. There seems to be a separate set of rules for each player on the court. The golf course plays no favorites and punishes each player equally for each mistake. 
Good points. There is something to be said about having only yourself to rely on.

For watching it probably helps if you play.

Imagine trying to hit a 5 foot putt in front of thousand people, with your life's work depending on it, to be a part of history. Now imagine making similar putts and shots over the course of 4 days. These guys do it at levels that are hard to imagine if you have even just gone to a driving range or played putt putt.

Watching the back 9 of the majors on Sunday is as good as sports gets.
Is watching bowling fun too? 

Watching golf is so much better than playing golf
Complete opposite. 

Agree. We just learned earlier than most because of our population.  It’s really ignorance with Asian vs Oriental. Many people just aren’t aware of it. Fact. 
Some people are just not aware of that.  It is more here in the states than in China or Japan. I stated before that when I was in Japan and China for work many there used the term Oriental when talking about  non-western people. How it became an offensive term I am not sure as I never heard it used as a slur.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread