What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I just bought a farm... (1 Viewer)

tuffnutt

Footballguy
The wife and I have just purchased 40 acres and a farm house. I have never lived outside of town and have no real experience with farm living. I guess the ultimate goal is to raise some cows and a couple horses and give my kids a different prospective on life. I don't expect to make alot of money( if any) off the land. But I already have a guy coming out tomorrow to bail hay. He says he should be able to get 40 large round bales off it. Other than that, it has 2 ponds, the bigger of the 2 about an acre and a half in size with some nice fish in it. Anyone here hobby farm and if so I'd love to hear some tips. Of course all jokes are welcome as this city slicker tries his hand on the farm!

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, congrats! You've made a major life change. 

Now, the bad news: you're having homophone problems down on the farm already. 

They're hay bales. You bale hay. 

You want your children to have perspective. Prospective is like a prospective or future client. 

But other than that, you're on your way. Cheers! 

I have done the hobby farm thing and could probably give you a list a mile long on pitfalls. #1 is I doubt you will make money off the farm and it will most likely cost you money. Especially if you add critters that are not revenue producers (you did mention horses). My big piece of advice would be to take it slow on the adding of animals on the farm. You are probably farther ahead finding a local farmer to pay you or give you part of the hay crop in exchange for doing the haying. Equipment is expensive and tends to break down. Also, adding animals or doing other farm projects takes a lot of time. Be cautious in taking on too much.

The hobby farm can be great just take it slow on diving into it so it doesn't become too expensive or too much of a time eater.

First off, congrats! You've made a major life change. 

Now, the bad news: you're having homophone problems down on the farm already. 

They're hay bales. You bale hay. 

You want your children to have perspective. Prospective is like a prospective or future client. 

But other than that, you're on your way. Cheers! 
Thanks Rock. I'll work on that LOL

I have done the hobby farm thing and could probably give you a list a mile long on pitfalls. #1 is I doubt you will make money off the farm and it will most likely cost you money. Especially if you add critters that are not revenue producers (you did mention horses). My big piece of advice would be to take it slow on the adding of animals on the farm. You are probably farther ahead finding a local farmer to pay you or give you part of the hay crop in exchange for doing the haying. Equipment is expensive and tends to break down. Also, adding animals or doing other farm projects takes a lot of time. Be cautious in taking on too much.

The hobby farm can be great just take it slow on diving into it so it doesn't become too expensive or too much of a time eater.
Great advice, I think we are probably a year or 2 away from adding livestock so we plan on taking it slow. Doing Hay on shares with the guys buying my shares so I'm already ahead LOL

I lived in a farmhouse for a few years as a kid. The fields were leased out to an agrocorp, but we had use of a barn and horse paddock. My dad knew a guy who knew a guy who worked at a petting zoo that was closing down and looking for homes for the animals. At one point we had 3 dogs (St. Bernard, black lab, and cockapoo), 2 gerbils, a quarter horse, 4 goats, 6 rabbits, 5 raccoons, 5 geese, 30 ducks, and an albino skunk. Fun times.

Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

Chevy Chase did the movie version of this already.

Maybe a sequel with say Matt Damon would help the younger generation.
Actually saw a really good documentary on a plane recently about a couple that bought a farm without knowing anything about farming. Literally had watched everything else available so gave it a shot, ended up really liking it. Intriguing approach to farming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDTM4JxHl8

Green Acres is the place to be.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

Never did buy the premise. I understood the Beverley Hillbillies wanting to move the big city. But why would a successful New York lawyer want to move to an area without either cell service or WiFi?  The guy had to climb a wooden pole just to make a landline call.

The wife and I have just purchased 40 acres and a farm house. I have never lived outside of town and have no real experience with farm living. I guess the ultimate goal is to raise some cows and a couple horses and give my kids a different prospective on life. I don't expect to make alot of money( if any) off the land. But I already have a guy coming out tomorrow to bail hay. He says he should be able to get 40 large round bales off it. Other than that, it has 2 ponds, the bigger of the 2 about an acre and a half in size with some nice fish in it. Anyone here hobby farm and if so I'd love to hear some tips. Of course all jokes are welcome as this city slicker tries his hand on the farm!
That part is pretty cool.  Not a real farm, but we moved to a place with a couple of acres when I was in 7th grade that had a barn with chickens and a rooster.  I quickly learned something new when we chopped that rooster's head off after he woke us up the first several mornings (the neighbors sure were grateful).  We got a bunch of ducks and geese, and even kept a horse there for awhile. Throughout middle school and high school I was up early to collect (and scrub) eggs, fill the feed and water, etc.  Normally not a big deal, but come winter time having to boil a bunch of water to thaw out the water dispensers made it a 5:00 AM prospect before school.  Eventually we fixed up another part of the barn and I would raise 150 chickens at at time, at 10 weeks (I think?) crate them up and take them to the slaughter house, and then I'd sell them to friends and neighbors.  We had a Kubota tractor with a rear deck mower, and in high school I used that to pick up a side business mowing nearby fields.  

I didn't appreciate most of that at the time, but looking back they were all good experiences that drove home positive values and work ethic, and gave me experiences most of my peers in the suburbs of Portland, OR, just weren't getting.

That part is pretty cool.  Not a real farm, but we moved to a place with a couple of acres when I was in 7th grade that had a barn with chickens and a rooster.  I quickly learned something new when we chopped that rooster's head off after he woke us up the first several mornings (the neighbors sure were grateful).  We got a bunch of ducks and geese, and even kept a horse there for awhile. Throughout middle school and high school I was up early to collect (and scrub) eggs, fill the feed and water, etc.  Normally not a big deal, but come winter time having to boil a bunch of water to thaw out the water dispensers made it a 5:00 AM prospect before school.  Eventually we fixed up another part of the barn and I would raise 150 chickens at at time, at 10 weeks (I think?) crate them up and take them to the slaughter house, and then I'd sell them to friends and neighbors.  We had a Kubota tractor with a rear deck mower, and in high school I used that to pick up a side business mowing nearby fields.  

I didn't appreciate most of that at the time, but looking back they were all good experiences that drove home positive values and work ethic, and gave me experiences most of my peers in the suburbs of Portland, OR, just weren't getting.
This is what I'm talking about... I know it will be hard work for the kids, but they will get to experience something that i think will be so invaluable as the grow older. The kids are so excited right now, but that will probably change when they are doing chores before school!

This is what I'm talking about... I know it will be hard work for the kids, but they will get to experience something that i think will be so invaluable as the grow older. The kids are so excited right now, but that will probably change when they are doing chores before school!
Oh yeah, they'll hate it.  Scrubbing #### off of eggs at 6:00 AM isn't a good time for any teenager.  And that damned horse used to mess with me and kick the water dispensers over after I filled them, which grumpy 15-year old me just wasn't stoked to be dealing with.

Users who are viewing this thread