What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Turn 2019: Strategy for drafting at the 12 spot (1 Viewer)

If you draw the 12th pick, you feel

• Ecstatic

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cool with it

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Could have been better, could have been worse

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Not happy about it

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Totally screwed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
So you are at the wheel, what are you doing? How do you handle the 12/13 picks? Any larger strategy to keep in mind? Who are you targetting?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've picked for turn on a couple best ball drafts.  I have 8 Rb's and 6 WR's that I like there.  Ranking depends on format.

Elliot
Kamara
McCaffrey
Gordon
Chubb
David Johnson
Joe Mixon
Saquon Barkley

OBJ
Tyreek Hill
Julio Jones
D. Hopkins
TY Hilton
Devante Adams

At the 3/4 turn there is enough talent at both RB and WR, that I don't feel the need to have a predefined strategy with regard to RB/RB or WR/WR or RB/WR at the 1/2 turn.  I like the following that are available around the 3/4.

D. Freeman
K. Johnson
J. Jacobs
Diggs
Edelman
Woods

This biggest problem about the turn is that you have to plan ahead more for the runs that are going to happen in the 22 picks between yours.  

For traditional leagues that start 3 WRs, I am finding myself liking the safety of the stud WRs over the high upside, but risky RB options. I was feeling confident about Joe Mixon but the injury to their 1st round OT and the surprise retirement of their starting guard does make me slightly more nervous than I was. 

1/2 I am looking at some combo of OBJ, Julio. Michael Thomas Tyreek, JuJu or Mike Evans. They all seem like pretty high floor and high ceiling guys. Tyreek and OBJ are probably the most volatile, Thomas and Julio seem the least. 

3/4 I don't mind jumping all in here and taking Brandin Cooks and Zach Ertz/George Kittle if one of those TEs falls there. It's a risk but I like the potential to heavily outscore opponents at WR2,3 and TE. If I am looking RB, Freeman, Kerryon and Aaron Jones are tempting as they have real top 10 potential. 

5/6 I generally hate the players available here. If Chris Godwin falls here, I pounce even if I had 3 WRs already. Otherwise, I often find myself going with the last top TE left: Engram, Henry or OJ. I generally find one of them leaks to there. I am also highly intrigued by Matt Ryan even though I acknowledge it's too early. Tyler Boyd also seems like a good value here. Otherwise, I find myself taking a RB I hate like Chris Carson, Tevin Coleman or Lamar Miller (not again).

7/8 Lat. Murray is my guy here but I am pretty sure by the time the draft comes, I will need to grab him at the 5/6. I also like Dante Pettis, Rashad Penny, Christian Kirk.

9/10 Often I find myself going QB here with some combo of Goff, Winston, Murray, Wentz. If I punted TE, I don't mind Austin Hooper. He is just entering the TE prime and is on a high powered offsense so it seems like a smart dart. 

11+ Dak, Lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews (got to get in on that Ravens passing game lol), Damien Harris, D'onta Foreman, Justice Hill, Keke, MVS (he will rise in ADP tho), Gallup, Moncfrief, Deebo. 

This biggest problem about the turn is that you have to plan ahead more for the runs that are going to happen in the 22 picks between yours.  
Yep, which makes me feel like going RB/WR, RB/WR in the first two turns helps provide balance and immunizes you from runs at those positions, being forced to draft/value player you don’t like, etc. Do you think it makes you more aggressive with QB and TE?

Yep, which makes me feel like going RB/WR, RB/WR in the first two turns helps provide balance and immunizes you from runs at those positions, being forced to draft/value player you don’t like, etc. Do you think it makes you more aggressive with QB and TE?
I start to consider a QB in the 9th.  If Cam or K. Murray are there at the end of the 9th I would take one of them.  In best ball drafts, I take a second at the end of the 11th.  

As far as TE.  I don't hate either Ertz or Kittle if they fall to the 3/4.  Otherwise I'm waiting very late and getting some one like Graham, Reed, Andrews.

I start to consider a QB in the 9th.  If Cam or K. Murray are there at the end of the 9th I would take one of them.  In best ball drafts, I take a second at the end of the 11th.  

As far as TE.  I don't hate either Ertz or Kittle if they fall to the 3/4.  Otherwise I'm waiting very late and getting some one like Graham, Reed, Andrews.
Yes, I think in Best Ball I am much much less likely to jump for a QB or TE early. The fact that one doesn't have to make start/sit decisions changes everything. 

1/2 - Kelce is way too early in my books, although I have seen him go.  You will be playing catch up all draft.  Choices at RB will be some combo of Bell, Gordon, Conner, Mixon, and Gurley.  Passing on Gurley here, not risking the volume decline as the season goes on.  I also think Bell will be gone before the turn, leaving only Gordon, Conner, and Mixon.  Assuming Gordon is still holding out come draft day, cross him off too.  Well, that narrowed itself down to Conner & Mixon pretty fast.  If Conner is there, I am taking him.  And I am with you on Mixon - his stock has taken a hit with his OL.  So, I am hoping to pair up Conner with a stud WR.  Nuke and Adams will be gone, and you will have a slim shot at Julio, but the rest are likely there.  Between Thomas, Hill, OBJ, I am going Tyreek.  1.12 - Conner, 2.1 - Hill

3/4 - Starting RB/WR allows the most flexibilty going forward.  Using ADP from FF Calc, my RB choices here may be Freeman, Henry, Jacobs, Johnson.  If Freeman is there, he is a no-brainer, but I doubt he will be.  WR options may include Diggs, Edelmann, Cooks, etc.  Kittle and/or Ertz may also slide, but let's assume they don't.  RB's will be too thin at 5.12, so one here is a must for me.  3.12 - Henry, 4.1 - Diggs

5/6 - 2 RB's and 2 WR's after 4 rounds.  It's early for a 2nd tier TE, but I like Engram and would take the leap.  Only QB I would consider this early went long ago.  I like the WR options better than RB's here.  5.12 - Jeffery, 6.1 - Engram

7/8 - In dire need of RB depth at this point - one for sure, maybe two.  Hoping Latavius falls, but ADP has him going a few spots too early.  ADP's will change for sure, but as of now, it's gonna be - 7.12 - Ekeler, 8.1 - Wentz

9/10 - I kinda shocked myself taking a QB earlier than the 9th, but I have a feeling the big QB run will take place in the 9th, and I don't pick til the end of that round, so I jumped early.  At least I am happy with my QB and don't feel the need to double up so fast.  Also happy at TE, and will likely hit the WW for my bye week filler, unless it's deep rosters.  Another RB is in order and I am gonna reach - 9.12 - Barber, 10.1 - Coutee

11/12 - My favorite late round pick here, and my backup QB - 11.12 - Funchess, 12.1 - Jackson

13/14 - Filling out roster now - 13.12 - Malcolm Brown, 14.1 - top K left

15.12 - Last to pick a D, just hunting for week 1 matchup - 15.12 - you decide

Of course, this was all done using current ADP from FF Calc, but I like the RB/WR/RB/WR/Engram type approach from the 12 spot.

I’ve just put a little bit of thought into this spot, but I keep coming back to considering Kelce and Mahomes at 1-2. I am not usually a QB early guy, but it just feels like you are locking up potentially the top two guys at two positions. Spend the rest of the draft grabbing wr’s and rb’s, and you could end up with a pretty good team.

At the turn I love a RB/WR combo giving me flexibility at the 3/4 turn and later on in the draft.  I see a lot of guys taking the same position twice which can be risk in competitive drafts.

Based on current ADP I like Chub/Tyreek.  My #6 RB and my #2WR.

I don't love any of the RBs likely to be available at the end of round #1: Bell, Connor, Mixon, Chubb, etc- so I'm likely going back to back at WR, especially in ppr formats. Some kind of Thomas, Julio, Hill, JuJu combination; all of those guys offer higher floors than the available RBs.

Coming back to rounds 3 and 4, a Mahomes/Lindsay combo works. Lindsay is getting shorted with all the Freeman talk. Make no mistake- Lindsay is the top playmaker on the Broncos and second place is not all that close. This idea that his volume decreases is fallacious- he will get the same number, if not more touches, but perhaps more as a receiver. If you watched a fair amount of Broncos tape, it is clear to see that Lindsay is dynamic and a big time playmaker. If you can grab him in the fourth- don't overthink this.

From 5/6 and beyond- guys like Godwin, Kirk, and DJ Moore pop for me, but if people snooze on James White, especially in ppr, pounce and reap the rewards of a perpetually underrated producer. You can, from rounds, 7 and beyond alternate between safety and upside. Miles Sanders is a legit prospect who is undervalued right now.

I've done a number of bestballs from the 12 spot and a few from 11 and 10, so far this season. And one FBG from the 12. 

I described a couple drafts elsewhere about how I approach drafting an elite TE in the 1st, but I usually don't. In FBG Kelce is gone by 12 anyway. And I'm not taking Kittle or Ertz there.

So here is my 12 spot strategy for PPR bestballs and redrafts.

1/2 WR WR - I love OBJ THOMAS JULIO ADAMS and to a lesser extent Evans and Juju. Chubb is the only RB I'd consider here after the top 4 RBs. 

3/4 RB RB - I am trying to be very cognizant of how this might change come the end of August when I do my bigger money drafts, but so far I have not seen a 3/4 turn where there weren't two RBs I like here. Between Freeman, KJ, Ingram, Henry once or twice, Jacobs sometimes, Montgomery usually, I feel there are typically at least 2 starting RBs that I like in that area (I realize others might see these RBs differently).

5/6 A little murky, regardless of strategy or draft pick. I either wait super late on QB or I take an elite one early. I usually snag Luck or Rodgers here. Luck is my preference based on FF playoff schedule. My experience has been that championships often hinge on elite QB performances in weeks 14-16. Every damn time I win or lose in the playoffs, there is an elite QB  box score either in my favor or against. And it is always from a predictable QB in terms of there are only a few of them capable of putting up boffo games on a somewhat regular basis, and with very respectable floors. Luck and Rodgers meet the criteria for me this year and are usually there at 5.12. 6.01 I'm not against pairing Ebron with Luck, if Henderson or James White happen to be there I snag them up first. I don't hate DJ Moore or Godwin.

7/8 BPA until the end. At this point I will have chosen certain forks in the road and would be looking for quality starters still. If I haven't got a top QB or TE by now I will likely wait quite awhile still and hit WRs and RBs here depending on the board and draft etc. 

9/10 I might take Brees or Cam here. I'm thinking more and more about upside moonshots here. Metcalf. RB well is pretty dry at this point but I might take Harris, Singletary or even Barber if I'm super desperate. I kind of like Vance McDonald here if available. Might reach for someone like Andrews or even Herndon if there has been a serious TE run and I'm still waiting. It means drafting more depth at the position later whereas taking a solid TE early allows more flexibility here in these middle rounds. 

11/12 Might not want to wait until the next turn if I haven't taken a QB or TE yet. I should be pretty dang strong and deep at RB and WR if that is the case. But this is all BPA at this point so hopefully you're not picking scrub TEs and QBs over upside WRs and RBs. Anyway if I feel I've nailed the draft to this point I might snag my Bears defense for fun. 

Users who are viewing this thread