What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do you spend on the lottery? (1 Viewer)

I'LL play when it gets to three hundred million and above otherwise not worth playing.  So I'll spend anywhere from 1-5 Dollars.

The only time I play the lottery is when a work pool happens. The thought of them winning/retiring would kill me if I wasn't involved....

I only play if the pot gets over $100 mil and I am in a spot to buy a ticket.  Then I usually get two quick picks.   I plan to only win once so I want to make sure it is worthwhile when I win. 

Lifetime total is around $8-$10

I've played a handful of times when Powerball was at $400M or more.

Only when it gets big and there is an office pool. No way I am going to be the only one stuck working if they win!

I’ll play the powerball and mega millions occasionally when it’s a big jackpot 

i usually buy a $2 State lottery ticket on the way out of the grocery store.  I think it’s match $5 win the jackpot ($1Mish) but then they give you 5 random numbers to match for an instant win.  Those range from $2-$500

It's illegal in our Christian values, kinda racist state. 

So, around $10 a few times a year when I go up to Tennessee. 

Always buy them when on the road in some podunk town when I’m on vacation.

Will usually spend about $20 a month on them. 

The only time I play the lottery is when a work pool happens. The thought of them winning/retiring would kill me if I wasn't involved....
Same for me. The company I work for isn't exactly Fortune 500, and I realized when a work pool started that if hit, losing that many employees at once would probably put us under. I looked at it as more of an insurance policy than anything.

Powerball and Mega Millions regularly - scratch tix occasionally on myself, additional scratch tix to hand out at Christmas. Estimating $700 annually. 

I'll get on a kick where I'll spend $2 or $3 a week for a few weeks, then forget for a month or so, then spend $2 or $3 a week for a few weeks, then forget for a month or so. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's illegal in our Christian values, kinda racist state. 

So, around $10 a few times a year when I go up to Tennessee. 
Wow, I didn't know there was a state that didn't have a lottery.

I kinda dig that.  I think gambling should be legal everywhere, but state-sponsored lotteries with little/no competition in their quest to steal every last dollar from poor people? Seems in poor taste to me.

People should be free to make all the dumb choices they want, but the gubment doesn't need to be the pusher man either.

State lotteries make about as much sense to me as state sponsored meth labs. 

Same for me. The company I work for isn't exactly Fortune 500, and I realized when a work pool started that if hit, losing that many employees at once would probably put us under. I looked at it as more of an insurance policy than anything.
Owner of a manufacturing company i deal with said that when he hears about a lotto pool at his place he will buy 20 shares of the pool so if the workers hit it won't be enough for them to leave.

Not sure if this is a NYC thing - I never observed it in my thirty years in Michigan or six years down south - but I cannot fathom people who spend $40-50 on daily tickets. If there’s only one clerk in the bodega you’re stuck waiting for them to finish.

It's entertainment money. Like at a strip club, except the chance of getting a payoff on $2 is higher with lottery.

I spend maybe $20 / year and that is only when the jackpots get big.

I am always amazed at the money people spend on scratch-offs.  There are $20, $30 tickets (I think even $50) and that gambling rush only lasts a few seconds.

BobbyLayne said:
Not sure if this is a NYC thing - I never observed it in my thirty years in Michigan or six years down south - but I cannot fathom people who spend $40-50 on daily tickets. If there’s only one clerk in the bodega you’re stuck waiting for them to finish.
thing is, up here in northern New England, the gas stations are giving discounts for cash pay but the line for pre-pay is clogged by the ijjitts you're talking about redeeming their scratchers & such

BobbyLayne said:
easily remidied by the tried and true "jeeeezzusss, are you ####### kidding me?!??!?"

it has never failed to influence the clerk to tell the dumb #### to step aside so i can cash out my beer and smokes  :shrug:

60 Minutes had a piece on them

the great author Voltaire made his millions by finding a flaw in a lottery (verrrry popular in 17 & 18C Europe, aristocrats were licensed to operate them by the Crown) and telling the owner he'd either ruin him or run his lottery for him. it became his major source of income, financing his exile in Geneva and successful ventures into textiles & clockmaking, for the rest of his long life

easily remidied by the tried and true "jeeeezzusss, are you ####### kidding me?!??!?"

it has never failed to influence the clerk to tell the dumb #### to step aside so i can cash out my beer and smokes  :shrug:
Although I’ve said that in my head many times, in my heart I truly feel sorry for them. I’d never even attempt to have a conversation with the daily player, but you just know 1) it’s likely an addiction, and/or 2) logic and math are not gonna have much effect.

eoMMan said:
I thought every state had it. Are you in Alabama or Mississippi?

pollardsvision said:
Wow, I didn't know there was a state that didn't have a lottery.

I kinda dig that.  I think gambling should be legal everywhere, but state-sponsored lotteries with little/no competition in their quest to steal every last dollar from poor people? Seems in poor taste to me.

People should be free to make all the dumb choices they want, but the gubment doesn't need to be the pusher man either.

State lotteries make about as much sense to me as state sponsored meth labs. 
Alabama. There's recent talk of adding one. If the money really goes to schools and roads, I'll get behind it. 

Alabama. There's recent talk of adding one. If the money really goes to schools and roads, I'll get behind it. 
The money will go to schools and roads, but they will spend the money that was going to schools and roads on something else.

Users who are viewing this thread