What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crazy thought - can a QB lead the league in rushing? (1 Viewer)

TheWinz

Footballguy
Last year, only 1 RB topped 300 carries, and just barely.  The next closest was at 261.  It seems even the bellcow RB's are maximizing their touches and saving their bodies by catching passes.  The top 9 FF RB's all had 50+ receptions in 2018.  Of the 14 RB's who topped 200 carries in 2018, the highest YPC was 5.0, and the average was 4.5.  Of the top 4 QB's ( I chose to select only 4, because they seem to be the "runners"), the highest YPC was 7.1, and the average was 5.4.

Scenario - QB rushes 210 times at 6 YPC = 1260 yards, top RB rushes 280 times at 4.5 YPC = 1260 yards

Not only do I think it's possible, I think it's probable, in the next 4 years.

I personally don't see it happening.  The qb position is far to valuable for any franchise to put at that high a risk.  A qb running 210 times is a catastrophic injury waiting to happen.  

Lamar Jackson started 7 games last season and put up 695 yards rushing. If he produced at the same rate this season and started all 16 games he would put up more than 1500 yards.

Now, I'm sure they're not going to run him as much this season as they did last season, but still... 

Lamar Jackson started 7 games last season and put up 695 yards rushing. If he produced at the same rate this season and started all 16 games he would put up more than 1500 yards.

Now, I'm sure they're not going to run him as much this season as they did last season, but still... 
He had 140 yards prior to those 7 starts. So it was 555 in the 7 starts. A pace of about 1270 over 16.

He had 140 yards prior to those 7 starts. So it was 555 in the 7 starts. A pace of about 1270 over 16.
Is it that obvious I was referring to Lamar when I made the thread?  BAL is a run 1st, run 2nd, and run 3rd team.  They went 6-1 with him, so why fix what's not broken?  Turning Lamar into a pocket passer is like turning Rivers into a scrambler.  BAL knew exactly what they drafted; they are simply hoping he doesn't get killed.  Ball control/time of possession helps their already good defense.  He had 119 carries in his 7 starts, so I would say 200 for 16 games is surely within reach.

Yes, it is entirely possible that Lamar Jackson does it. It would take a few special circumstances though: Lamar struggles passing the ball, but the D and OL are so good that the Ravens are able to be super run heavy. On top of that, I think it would require a few guys like Zeke, Saquon, Chubb, Derrick Henry to miss some games with injury.

TheWinz said:
Is it that obvious I was referring to Lamar when I made the thread?  BAL is a run 1st, run 2nd, and run 3rd team.  They went 6-1 with him, so why fix what's not broken?  Turning Lamar into a pocket passer is like turning Rivers into a scrambler.  BAL knew exactly what they drafted; they are simply hoping he doesn't get killed.  Ball control/time of possession helps their already good defense.  He had 119 carries in his 7 starts, so I would say 200 for 16 games is surely within reach.
Disagree completely.  And who said you have to turn Jackson into a pocket passer?  He can (and will) be a hybrid.

And to answer the question, I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheWinz said:
Is it that obvious I was referring to Lamar when I made the thread?  BAL is a run 1st, run 2nd, and run 3rd team.  They went 6-1 with him, so why fix what's not broken?  
Because defenses adjust.  Same reason why we don’t see the Wildcat formation anymore and why RG3 was Rookie of the Year using a read-option offense and then not so good once defenses realized what he was doing.

Another thing to consider is that the Ravens new Offensive Coordinator, Greg Roman, has historically run one of the league’s slower paces with among the least amount of offensive snaps per game.

Kliff Kingsbury, on the other hand, has spoken about running one of the league’s fastest paces on O, and he drastically wants to increase the offensive snaps per game.  If that happens Kyler Murray may be the QB with greater rushing yards than Jackson.

I’d probably still take Jackson in that category, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kliff Kingsbury, on the other hand, has spoken about running one of the league’s fastest paces on O, and he drastically wants to increase the offensive snaps per game.  If that happens Tyler Murray may be the QB with greater rushing yards than Jackson.
chip kelly tried this fast pace thing with the Eagles and failed. it worked for maybe first half of his first season, but it looked to me the players simply can't keep up with such a pace through a season in the NFL. system worked great for him in college, but recruited players specifically for that system at oregon.

mirroring what others said about Jackson already, i doubt he gets near the rushing numbers he had last year. mostly because of defense adjustments to his tape. i can see Murray having more rushing stats than Jackson this year (not necessarily because i think he's a better rusher than jackson) so agree with the second part of this.

to the OP question, highly highly doubtful that could ever happen in the NFL. Take the top 3 rushers for each season in the last decade and you think any QB in the league now or historically can match what they do for a season?

Vick broke 1,000 yards in a full 16 game season, and I remember him as being the best rushing QB the league has ever seen (maybe since, too).  The same year, though, two RBs each had around 1,800 rushing (LT and Larry Johnson).  18 other RBs also topped  Vick that year, including his own teammate - Warrick Dunn. 

Vick broke 1,000 yards in a full 16 game season, and I remember him as being the best rushing QB the league has ever seen (maybe since, too).  The same year, though, two RBs each had around 1,800 rushing (LT and Larry Johnson).  18 other RBs also topped  Vick that year, including his own teammate - Warrick Dunn. 
Yes it is very unlikely. In 2015, only 7 RBs broke 1k and Gurley waw 3rd with 1100 yards. Peterson and Doug Martin had 1400 yards so it would take a flukey season like that plus Peterson and Martin missing some time with injuries. Although last year we saw pretty low rushing totals. Only 5 players cleared 1100 rushing. It is very unlikely but given the randomness of a 16 game season full of injuries, I think it's possible. 

After Josh Allen came back from injury, he was on a torrid pace. Now I doubt he keeps that up for a full season, but if he did, it would be 1269 rushing. 

Because defenses adjust.  Same reason why we don’t see the Wildcat formation anymore and why RG3 was Rookie of the Year using a read-option offense and then not so good once defenses realized what he was doing.

Another thing to consider is that the Ravens new Offensive Coordinator, Greg Roman, has historically run one of the league’s slower paces with among the least amount of offensive snaps per game.

Kliff Kingsbury, on the other hand, has spoken about running one of the league’s fastest paces on O, and he drastically wants to increase the offensive snaps per game.  If that happens Tyler Murray may be the QB with greater rushing yards than Jackson.

I’d probably still take Jackson in that category, though.
Tyler? 🤔 

Users who are viewing this thread