What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carr trade value (1 Viewer)

Spookytooth

Footballguy
12 team ppr start ony one qb dynasty. I have good qb depth but so like hoarding qbs in case some get injued in season. Anyway.....which of these do you like (and let me know if both or neither or just one look good).

Carr, 2020 3rd and 2021 3rd for 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd
Or
Carr and 2020 3rd for curtis samuel and 2020 2nd.

Qb points are heavier in this oeague too btw, but I have luck baker jameis and rosen too (but again ill happily keep carr too). 

Thanks!

I'd be hard pressed to give even a 2nd rd pick straight up for Carr in a 1QB league. Also since you are stacked at QB, the other owners know you want to dump him so you'll get even more lowballed. You can hope he has some good press coming out of camp and looks good in the preseason and maybe you can get a 2nd for him but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Anything you can get for Carr is a win in my book.  He's a back end qb2 and or at best a bye week fill in. 

If both trades are something offered to you I'd take the pair of 2nds as Samuel has shown to be nothing more than a flex option.

this. imo there is a 100% chance he isnt starting next year. a 2nd is a steal IMO
They only have journeymen backups (I may have missed something in the offseason) so who do you think is going to be the starter? I know he is in Gruden's dog house but the cupboard is bare so the competition won't be that great.  

If you can get anything for him go for it but I might think about holding onto him for a few weeks and see if he is picking up Gruden's system than trade him if he does well. 

They only have journeymen backups (I may have missed something in the offseason) so who do you think is going to be the starter? I know he is in Gruden's dog house but the cupboard is bare so the competition won't be that great.  

If you can get anything for him go for it but I might think about holding onto him for a few weeks and see if he is picking up Gruden's system than trade him if he does well.

He's had a year in Gruden's system.  Next year's draft is full of qbs who are all better than any non - Murray QB from this draft.  With Gruden's contract gaurenteed for the next billion years there's no reason oak doesn't tank for Tua if it comes to that.

I would guess a top prospect from 2020 draft. I said next year. of course hes starting this year

He's had a year in Gruden's system.  Next year's draft is full of qbs who are all better than any non - Murray QB from this draft.  With Gruden's contract gaurenteed for the next billion years there's no reason oak doesn't tank for Tua if it comes to that.
even fromm or herbert 

I think a lot will depend on where you think oakland finishes in the standings. 

Sure, both Tua and Hebert look like top prospects right now but you may need a top 2, or a top 3 pick to land one of them. Is it a really strong rookie draft for QB after those two guys? Gruden doesn't seem like a "tank for...." type of guy even if that was the right play here. It's possible he went out and gave Antonio Brown all that money to finish with one of the worst two records in the NFL, but it just doesn't make much sense to me. I also think RB and S are the types of positions you draft if you are looking for an immediate impact. Not only do Antonio Brown, Josh Jacobs, and Trent Brown instantly make Carr look like a better player overnight but I find it difficult to believe the team doesn't win an extra game or two at a minimum. Let's say they win 6 games in 2019. In the last draft that would mean they draft somewhere between pick #8-#12. Some people may argue that Gruden might be willing to trade a draft(or several) high picks to move up and that might be the case. But I don't think Mayock trades away a ton of picks and he has a big voice in how they draft. 

This looks like an Eli Manning situation to me, only Carr is about a decade younger than Eli. Last year everyone was high on Barkley, OBJ, Engram and even Sheppard. But they were down on Eli so he was drafted as QB22. Half of those guys under-performed and Eli still finished QB16. This year most people think Jacobs is a big improvement to the backfield(that already has a good proven receiver in Richard), and Jordy Nelson/Seth Roberts(the raiders #1 and #2 WR's last season..... no, seriously) were replaced by Antonio Brown and Tyrell Williams. That seems like a pretty huge upgrade to me. Carr is going off the board as QB23 this year. If his weapons actually stay healthy(unlike Eli last season) I wouldn't be shocked if he finished in the top half of NFL QB's. If you are in a vanilla 12 team redraft league that probably doesn't matter all that much unless your starter gets hurt. But in deeper leagues, QB flex, or dynasty leagues(where a lot of those top 12 QB's are in their mid to late 30's) it definitely matters. I don't think Carr is out of a job in '19 even if he doesn't play in oakland just bases on the ages of starting QB's around the NFL. While it's fun to watch Jackson/Allen run around and score fantasy points do we know yet whether they can throw the ball accurately enough to remains starters in the NFL? Murray seems like a great prospect.... would it really shock anyone to see ARZ draft a QB and it didn't work out? Bottom line, I just think Carr is one of the top 32 quarterbacks and is still in his 20's(he just turned 28).

If anything, I am a "buy" on Carr this year. But admittedly, a lot of that is because the price is so low right now.

Why would anyone ever buy a guy like Carr unless you play SF? There's very little upside regardless of how cheap he is.

Even more confused as to why guys like Murray, Jackson, and Allen were mentioned in relation to Carr. They may not pan out long term but they're worth about 10x Carr right now in fantasy. Maybe 20x. It can't really be quantified by me I guess bc I'd never roster Carr. 

Even rostering a QB like Carr for free in a 1 QB dynasty league (other than for one week when your stud is on bye) is just burning a roster spot that you should be using to shuffle ww lottery tickets that could actually be flipped. Let someone else roster the filler types that just take space. It's inefficient. Just ask your commish to subtract a roster slot from your team and save yourself the trouble of looking at players like this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone ever buy a guy like Carr unless you play SF? There's very little upside regardless of how cheap he is.

Even more confused as to why guys like Murray, Jackson, and Allen were mentioned in relation to Carr. They may not pan out long term but they're worth about 10x Carr right now in fantasy. Maybe 20x. It can't really be quantified by me I guess bc I'd never roster Carr. 

Even rostering a QB like Carr for free in a 1 QB dynasty league (other than for one week when your stud is on bye) is just burning a roster spot that you should be using to shuffle ww lottery tickets that could actually be flipped. Let someone else roster the filler types that just take space. It's inefficient. Just ask your commish to subtract a roster slot from your team and save yourself the trouble of looking at players like this. 
While I agree mostly, I’ve had a lot of luck trading qbs but it’s a lot about timing. When someone like Andrew luck or cam Newton or Rodgers gets injured you can sometimes flip a Carr type for a “decent” return, but just going out and finding a trade partner that wants to pay something for Carr is unlikely. The other tactic to employ is finding someone with a weak or no backup QB and use Carr and a pick to move up, or for a future move, ie carr/3rd for 2nd.

Where did you rank Eli last season among QB's?
I don't rank guys I'd never own. He fits into that same category nicely. In start 1 QB leagues, average or below QBs or guys who may as well be bc they don't consistently score as QB1s have negative roster value. The open spot is more valuable. 

I don't rank guys I'd never own. He fits into that same category nicely. In start 1 QB leagues, average or below QBs or guys who may as well be bc they don't consistently score as QB1s have negative roster value. The open spot is more valuable. 
I already said, "If you are in a vanilla 12 team redraft league that probably doesn't matter all that much unless your starter gets hurt."

Since you responded to the post I assume you also read, "But in deeper leagues, QB flex, or dynasty leagues(where a lot of those top 12 QB's are in their mid to late 30's) it definitely matters."

I'm curious, according to FBG's where do you THINK that Carr finished last season with the ghost of Jordy Nelson and Seth Roberts as his #1 and #2 WR?

I already said, "If you are in a vanilla 12 team redraft league that probably doesn't matter all that much unless your starter gets hurt."

Since you responded to the post I assume you also read, "But in deeper leagues, QB flex, or dynasty leagues(where a lot of those top 12 QB's are in their mid to late 30's) it definitely matters."

I'm curious, according to FBG's where do you THINK that Carr finished last season with the ghost of Jordy Nelson and Seth Roberts as his #1 and #2 WR?
And I prefaced my own post by saying QBs like this only carry any value in SF or the like. 

Carr was something like QB30 in my leagues on a PPG basis. Eli about the same. That's what I care about. If you roster QBs who aren't an advantage at QB or a young guy with potential to be one, I think it's an inefficient use of roster space. 

And I prefaced my own post by saying QBs like this only carry any value in SF or the like. 

Carr was something like QB30 in my leagues on a PPG basis. Eli about the same. That's what I care about. If you roster QBs who aren't an advantage at QB or a young guy with potential to be one, I think it's an inefficient use of roster space. 
So you would take Fitzpatrick over Carr in a dynasty because Fitzpatrick is a PPG all-star?

So you would take Fitzpatrick over Carr in a dynasty because Fitzpatrick is a PPG all-star?
No, I would own neither. But if I had to, yes I would rather own Fitz for his big 4 weeks in Sept than a guy like Carr for the whole season. In reality I would own a difference-maker, and maybe a young guy who could become one (think Murray or Lamar) and that's pretty much it. Otherwise I'd pay less for an older difference maker (think Brees). If I don't fit either of those categories, I don't consider myself to be efficiently using resources. There's owners in my leagues rostering 5-6 QBs. One guy has guys like Flacco and Keenum. He is putting himself at a competitive disadvantage, as are all owners who do this imo. 

I don't know why you think you're making some incredible argument that will catch me in a logic trap. Average QBs who don't give you a chance at an advantage on a weekly basis add no value to your roster. You can find that production on the wire or trade a 3rd for it in the event of an emergency because people are always trying to squeeze any value they can out of them. These QBs you never want to start, but are too "good" to cut...they are the slow dynasty death. I let other people roster players like that. Running lottery ticket skill position players through that roster spot until you hit on one or trade them is a much better use of that precious roster spot. 

There's just no added value from a guy who is a safe bet to play for a long time but at an average level. 

There's just no added value from a guy who is a safe bet to play for a long time but at an average level. 
It's not a logic trap. I think your argument is a sound one, in a 12 team league.

Actually, I should have said a 12 team redraft league. I think Carr will have more startable weeks over the rest of his career than Fitz and it's not even close.

It's not a logic trap. I think your argument is a sound one, in a 12 team league.
I play in 14 teamers, I think it fits there as well.

16 is the earliest I might reconsider. But I'd still consider it a failure to be starting or even rostering a guy like Carr or Eli. 

I play in 14 teamers, I think it fits there as well.

16 is the earliest I might reconsider. But I'd still consider it a failure to be starting or even rostering a guy like Carr or Eli. 
We are just talking about two types of leagues.

I just generally don't play in leagues where you can just grab starting QB's off the waiver wire. If I'm going to wander that far into disbelief and divorced so far from football I just play in guillotine leagues.

But I absolutely do think Carr can finish a top 14 QB this year if he and his weapons stay healthy this year.

We are just talking about two types of leagues.

I just generally don't play in leagues where you can just grab starting QB's off the waiver wire. If I'm going to wander that far into disbelief and divorced so far from football I just play in guillotine leagues.

But I absolutely do think Carr can finish a top 14 QB this year if he and his weapons stay healthy this year.

Don't do the "that may fly in your leagues but mine are made of tougher stuff" thing. It's a bad look and not what I'm talking about here. 

Average QBs don't need to be on the waiver wire. It's usually only total scrubs like Colt McCoy who fit that and still get starting opportunities. Someone is always rostering these types until they smarten up.

The point is that they shouldn't be on your roster, or you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage. I think I've laid out the case pretty well. If your stud QB gets hurt, trade for the Carr-type scrub if you must. But god don't waste that valuable roster spot on a guy you hope to never start all year. It's worth the 3rd round pick or whatever if you have to trade for that type later, if you're active enough on the wire/blind bidding to get value out of that spot. 

Don't do the "that may fly in your leagues but mine are made of tougher stuff" thing. It's a bad look and not what I'm talking about here. 
We simply disagree. Carr was QB18 with Jordy Nelson/Seth Roberts as the #1/#2 WR's and Dough Martin as the leading rusher. With an improved OL, better receivers, and a better receiving back(and a RB that defenses will have to respect more) I think it's probable Carr finishes as a top 14 QB in 2019 unless something unforeseen happens. It seems to me getting a top 14 QB at QB23(Carr's current ADP) is a good value.... even in a 14 team league I would say. You disagree with all that and that's fine.

You would rather have Fitzpatrick(turns 37 during the season) because of his higher PPG in dynasty than Carr(turned 28 this year). I would rather have Carr. That's fine.

I don't think either of us are making any different points that we already have so you can just stop unless you feel like repeating yourself again. Or unless you have other advice on what a "bad look" is. I presume doing that is a "good look".

If you can get anything for him take it.  IMO, he's another "deer in the headlights" season from losing his job.....if he couldn't get the ball to Amari Cooper consistently, do think he's going to be able to get it to Brown?  Dudes captain checkdown.

Users who are viewing this thread