What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Long weekend getaway ideas DEPARTING from NYC area (1 Viewer)

comfortably numb

Footballguy
The weekend thread reminded me of wanting to start a few threads like this but with departing locations across the states to share ideas.

This thread can be used for 2-4 day weekend trips departing from the NY/NJ area.

I'll add some suggestions later.

Saratoga Springs, NY

It’s a beautiful, artsy community with boutique shops and galleries three or four hours north of the city.  The city’s name is derived from the town’s natural hot water springs which you can still enjoy at a private spa.  The town also has a picturesque horse race track where you can go and bet on the horses or just watch.  Finally, the area also has the Saratoga Performing Art Center (SPAC) which is an outdoor concert venue that gets big name acts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saratoga Springs, NY

It’s a beautiful, artsy community with boutique shops and galleries three or four hours north of the city.  The city’s name is derived from the town’s natural hot water springs which you can still enjoy at a private spa.  The town also has a picturesque horse race track where you can go and bet on the horses or just watch.  Finally, the area also has the Saratoga Performing Art Center (SPAC) which is an outdoor concert venue that gets big name acts.
My aunt and uncle spent many years working/volunteering at SPAC. Nice area.  

Catskills. Have dinner at Peekamoose. Stop at some of the roadside waterfalls. Maybe a visit to Howe Caverns. 

Not the most glamorous place, but Lancaster, PA pretty good if have very little kids.  Strasburg Railroad provides a nice ride through Amish country on a steam train (the "A Day Out with Thomas" weekends are crazy busy, but any kid into Thomas & Friends will love it).  Some other train-based activities around there like the Pennsylvania Train Museum, and the model trains in the Choo Choo Barn.  Dutch Wonderland an amusement park geared to little kids.  Turkey Hill Ice Cream is pretty close in Columbia.  Hershey, PA also pretty close.  Downtown Lancaster has the Central Market and some brewpubs.  Also, James Buchanan's Wheatland for any history nerds.

Gettysburg for a full-on history weekend getaway experience.

I've heard good things about New Hope and Lambertville.   Stay at a b&b with lots of bars, restaurants and shops within walking distance

Had friends who used to go to Block Island every summer for a week.

For us- mostly day trips.... Although just got back from a great week on the Jersey shore (Ocean Grove).

Mohunk mountain House is fun, but too pricey for me these days.

We're staying up in the Warwick area for a weekend towards the middle of September. Got a sick AirBNB right on the lake. Leaving the kid at home, just trying to relax a bit and check out, with a real nice view and quiet.

Haven't been before but it's only an hour or so from the city, there's a nice walkable town, lakes, old school drive in movie theater...seems perfect.

Is flying to Iceland too far? You can do it for $400 per person and be there in 5.5 hours.

Edit: honestly, NYC/NJ has so many airports and flies to everywhere. You can do a long weekend anywhere domestically/Canada super easily and for cheaper than renting a house in the Hamptons if it's just you and your girl/a buddy.

Is flying to Iceland too far? You can do it for $400 per person and be there in 5.5 hours.

Edit: honestly, NYC/NJ has so many airports and flies to everywhere. You can do a long weekend anywhere domestically/Canada super easily and for cheaper than renting a house in the Hamptons if it's just you and your girl/a buddy.
:goodposting:

This is off-season in the Caribbean...also cheaper than trying to rent a place somewhere local.

Finger Lakes - Stay in Ithaca or Watkins Glen.  Visit some wineries.  Take 1 mile-ish walk at Watkins Glen State Park and visit at least one of the other waterfalls in the area (I'd suggest the upper end of Robert Treman State Park...which is the less popular and more spectacular end..looks like something from Lord of the Rings).  Do lake stuff (swim, kayak, ferry, etc.).  Visit Glass Museum in Corning, which is way more interesting than it sounds...kind of has the vibe of a cool, very high tech/industrial game company's office.

Adirondacks - See my Adirondacks thread for more detailed discussion, but...stay in Lake Placid.  Kayak or paddle board on Mirror Lake if you're a newb or explore 100s of other lakes if you want something more adventurous.  Thousands of places to do hikes of all lengths and difficulties.  1980 Olympic stuff in Lake Placid.  Railbiking in at least one location.  Drive up to top of Whiteface Mountain.

I second flying.  It's way better than sitting in traffic.  The places people have named so far have brutal traffic commutes during the weekend, especially Ocean City MD unless you're going to drive at 4am.

I second flying.  It's way better than sitting in traffic.  The places people have named so far have brutal traffic commutes during the weekend, especially Ocean City MD unless you're going to drive at 4am.
 You're not necessarily wrong but driving to an airport for 30 or 40 minutes and then waiting in the airport for 1 to 2 hours and then taking a 1 to 3 hour flight is also time consuming. Not mention more costly and a little harder to do as a last minute thing. 

Throw kids into the mix and that just multiples things

Seems like Bermuda would be an possible trip from your location. Last minute arrangements are probably tricky though.

My in-laws (NoVa) have beach houses near OC. We take the train out of NYC to Wilmington DE and rent a car from there. Avoid all NYC traffic and splits the trip up for the kids (about 2hrs each leg)

Any specific locations?

How is this type of trip in terms of budgetwise?
The good thing  about Cape Cod is that it spans all budgets, from kitschy 70's type motels to luxury resorts. We stayed here when we went and I'd recommend it if you like B&B's. It's not really our thing but we liked it anyway. It's a little pricey but it's away from the bigger towns and easily accessible. Really cool just walking around the neighborhood on our way to a nearby restaurant.  Spent a day in Chatham and drove up to Race Point Beach. It's beautiful everywhere you drive. We didn't go to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. There will be far less of a range of options to stay but the ferry was very close to where we stayed. We went on a 4th of July weekend and I expected a lot more traffic than there was. I'm dying to go back...maybe next year.

Had friends who used to go to Block Island every summer for a week.

For us- mostly day trips.... Although just got back from a great week on the Jersey shore (Ocean Grove).

Mohunk mountain House is fun, but too pricey for me these days.
Can't recommend this place enough! Conceivably pricey, but if you stay in New Paltz or any of the Hudson towns for one or two nights and at the Hotel for one or two then you're in for a treat. Meals and snacks are included. Factor in the outdoor activities trails galor, swimming/kayaking in the lake, Olympic size pool, tours of the hotel, kids activities (with or without the parents) horse mounted trail rides and it's not much if any more expensive than many of the other places mentioned. 

Bermuda is great if you're looking for a great beach that's close. Been a few times...the first time we went, caught a real early flight and were on the beach by like 11am (they're an hour ahead). So from that perspective it's awesome, because to get that much out of a travel day is really hard to beat.

But also think it's the worst food for the money of anywhere I've been. You can find a couple solid restaurants but the price to quality ratio is terrible. Last time we were there we went to the same place for dinner 3x out of 5 nights. And generally speaking, I'm really low maintenance when it comes to meals.

Can't recommend this place enough! Conceivably pricey, but if you stay in New Paltz or any of the Hudson towns for one or two nights and at the Hotel for one or two then you're in for a treat. Meals and snacks are included. Factor in the outdoor activities trails galor, swimming/kayaking in the lake, Olympic size pool, tours of the hotel, kids activities (with or without the parents) horse mounted trail rides and it's not much if any more expensive than many of the other places mentioned. 
I've been there a couple times to walk the property but never to stay. Are you saying you get access to all that stuff? Meals are included? How are the meals?

I've been there a couple times to walk the property but never to stay. Are you saying you get access to all that stuff? Meals are included? How are the meals?
Plus, factor in the walk out the door and you're there vs the hike /bus ride for the day hikers. 

*Mounted trail rides are extra unless you BYOH 

One bonus to staying at Mohonk Mountain House is that you get easy access to this unbelievably fun, amazing hike: https://hikethehudsonvalley.com/hikes/mohonk-mountain-house-labyrinth-and-lemon-squeeze/

If you don't stay there, you can choose between cheaper parking with an 8-9 mile (round trip) semi-boring walk through the woods to get to the 1 mile of awesomeness or more expensive parking and a 5.5 mile round trip.

If you do stay there, you can walk about 50 yards to the start of the awesomeness.  The pictures hardly due justice to how much fun it is.  And because it has a very safe/curated feel to it, you'll be very comfortable doing a far more challenging, interesting hike than you might be in a more 'wild' location.

Good stuff to do in Cape Cod:

Tons of great bike trails.  Best view of water as you ride seems to be from the one near Falmouth..I think the name has 'seaway' in it.  Longest one goes up the middle of the Cape near Brewster, Harwich and other towns.

Unique bay beaches.  Very flat, so when the tide goes out it goes 2-3 miles out from the shore, leaving all sorts of interesting pools and streams.  Nothing more relaxing than using your feet to dig trenches and canals in Cap Cod Bay or having hermit crab races with the cute little buggers that are scurrying around in the water here.

Unique ocean beaches too.  Find a way to get out to the barrier island beaches near Chatham.  You may find yourself completely alone...other than the seals and great whites.  I don't recommend swimming here, but still probably my favorite ocean beach anywhere.  If you stay at Wequosset (sp?) resort, it's super expensive, but one nice benefit is a free shuttle boat that goes out to the barrier island every hour and gives you a chance to see thousands of seals on the way.

If you do the sit down and not the meh buffet, they're very good 
we did the sit-down once or twice on a different visit- definitely better. but that's all I remember- so, not memorable. 

the place is really stunning though- in all seasons- and if the price-tag is doable, definitely worth the visit and stay. I know they do mid-week specials (still too rich for my blood).

we did our usual day-trip to the Rockaways on saturday via the ferry out of pier 11/wall-street. when they first started that ride several years ago, it was an easy trip... but the city has caught on, and there's a huge line there every time we've been the last couple years. we took the 9:30, and luckily were able to get on the first boat without having to wait for the next (huge line and we were some of the last ones they let on). big fan of that ferry- love the ride out to the beach, and love that they provide the shuttle bus to Jacob Riis.  takes as long as the A train, but much nicer views and onboard concessions (fairly reasonably priced). good eats and drinks at Jacob Riis, as well as chair/umbrella rentals (we forgot we had put ours in storage). and the water temp has been perfect the last few weeks. 

Mystic is a lot of fun, and the Newport Mansions are under an hour away

Mystic Seaport, Aquarium, grab a slice at Mystic Pizza, a few local shops as well, and only a 2hr and change drive from NYC.. 

Users who are viewing this thread