What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you leave the house with the listed appliances running? (1 Viewer)

Do you leave the house with the clothes dryer running?

• Yes

Votes: 204 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 79 27.9%

• Total voters

Ned Ryerson

Footballguy
Looking for the FFA to step in re a discussion with my wife.  I don't want to taint the votes with what I think, so simple question, do you leave the house with any of the appliances listed running?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many appliances I wouldn’t be willing to leave running (amongst those that don’t require manual attention, like irons and table saws).

Space heater is one I will reliably turn off when going out, but nothing else comes to mind.

@Walking Boot makes a solid point about coming home to wet clothes, but plenty of times I run to the store and am back in time to shift the clothes.

I said no to the dryer.  I don't really worry about any of them, but wife will not leave dryer running.  She has slowly converted me on the dryer over the last 2 decades.  It isn't that I necessarily agree with her on the topic, but it isn't worth the fight and/or her worrying.  

Pre marriage - yes to all

Married - no to all (got tired of constantly having those “discussions” so I just gave up) 
I didn't know I had an alias named Quint.

What if there's a leak?  What if there's a fire?  

I said no to the dryer.  I don't really worry about any of them, but wife will not leave dryer running.  She has slowly converted me on the dryer over the last 2 decades.  It isn't that I necessarily agree with her on the topic, but it isn't worth the fight and/or her worrying.  
This man knows how to marriage. :thumbup:

I voted yes to all but we're a family of 7 and we have to run all three of these appliances constantly.  Our water bill is egregious.  

Dryer- HELL NO. I dont even goto sleep with Dryer running. The other two, sure. Technically you should always shut the water on you washing machine when not in use. I doubt anyone does that though.

Yes to all of the above.

My ex wife unplugged the toaster when she wasn't actually making toast.  I'd never seen that before, but my current gf does it too. I've lived over half a century and have never seen a toaster spontaneously combust.  I'm willing to risk it.

No to dishwasher because it needs to be opened after completion to let out all the steam and to start drying.  If I didn't have to do that then I wouldn't have an issue. Yes to the others. 

You probably should ask the following instead: Does your wife/spouse/significant other leave the house with the listed appliances running?

My responses to that question would have been the exact opposite. 

Our dryer sucks (I think).  I put in give or take 6 towels, and they take well over 2 hours to dry.  Last night I was stupid and put in 5 big towels and 5 medium/small towels, plus a top sheet.  They took 4.5 hours to dry.  We have a 7-8 year old Samsung, thinking of upgrading.

In the interim, i would love to, for example, do a load of laundry in the AM, and then throw it on the dryer to head out for the day.  The Mrs. says, no way.  As a result in light of Walking Boot's comment re wet clothing and our full time jobs, can only do laundry at night, which backs things up.  Same thing for the dishwasher. 

I know this is a petty annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

No to dishwasher because it needs to be opened after completion to let out all the steam and to start drying.  If I didn't have to do that then I wouldn't have an issue. Yes to the others. 
We bought this Samsung one last year that opens automagically when it's done. Wasn't that expensive either. 

You probably should ask the following instead: Does your wife/spouse/significant other leave the house with the listed appliances running?

My responses to that question would have been the exact opposite. 
Fair point.  i know what I would do, but I'm definitely not in charge regarding this issue.  The other day, I had three or four of my son's clothing items in the dryer, and left for the day with my wife home.  She called after she left the house an hour later realizing that the dryer was on, asking me to return home to turn the dryer off (10 minutes away).  I put my foot down on that one, as i told her that by the time i came home it would be off already.  

My wife definitely has me unplug the toaster when going out for the whole day.

Our dryer sucks (I think).  I put in give or take 6 towels, and they take well over 2 hours to dry.  Last night I was stupid and put in 5 big towels and 5 medium/small towels, plus a top sheet.  They took 4.5 hours to dry.  We have a 7-8 year old Samsung, thinking of upgrading.

In the interim, i would love to, for example, do a load of laundry in the AM, and then throw it on the dryer to head out for the day.  The Mrs. says, no way.  As a result in light of Walking Boot's comment re wet clothing and our full time jobs, can only do laundry at night, which backs things up.  Same thing for the dishwasher. 

I know this is a petty annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.
You need to check to make sure you're getting good airflow in the dryer exhaust.  No way a newish dryer should take that long.  If it is lint in your exhaust then that's a fire waiting to happen.

Dryer- HELL NO. I dont even goto sleep with Dryer running. The other two, sure. Technically you should always shut the water on you washing machine when not in use. I doubt anyone does that though.
50% of the time I unload the washing machine, Wife- "Ned, did you turn the water off to the machine?  You know that's a big way people get leaks."

Me- "Yes honey, I did hear that."

50% of the time I unload the washing machine, Wife- "Ned, did you turn the water off to the machine?  You know that's a big way people get leaks."

Me- "Yes honey, I did hear that."
Yes plumber told me should always shut it off when not in use.

Our dryer sucks (I think).  I put in give or take 6 towels, and they take well over 2 hours to dry.  Last night I was stupid and put in 5 big towels and 5 medium/small towels, plus a top sheet.  They took 4.5 hours to dry.  We have a 7-8 year old Samsung, thinking of upgrading..
Clean you lint catch basin out.

I buy the stainless hoses for the washer just so they don't bust.  They are like 3x the cost but it's worth it.  Haven't turned off my washer hose since I installed the washer.
My wife's grandmother still to this day unplugs her microwave after she's done using it.  She still adheres to the depression rules, don't turn on a light that isn't needed, don't waste A/C (keeps her house at 80 deg in the summer), and don't waste power running that little microwave clock apparently. 

I'm willing to leave the house with any of them running. They'll shut off when they're done, and I know we keep the lint trap clear in the dryer. 

Wife will leave with the dishwasher or the washing machine running, but not the dryer.  I don't even try to fight it

I replied yes to all but funny enough, technology is slowly changing the way I interact with my appliances.  

Back in the day, I would not leave a dishwasher only because it was supposed to be opened after finished.  Now, my Dishwasher has a drying feature built in and also sends an app message to my phone saying it is done.  How that thing runs three times longer yet uses 1/10 of the water and energy it use to is beyond me.

The washer: I use to just leave it.  Did not care.  Always thought "why turn the water off when I'm gone for a week?  What's the chances that hose actually bursts?"  Then technology go the point where it spun dry so well, you didn't even have to worry about them even truly being wet still.  But THEN, the tech got so sensitive that the danged thing will stop if it gets a nano-gram off balance as it is spinning at 2000 miles per hour so now I only run it when I am at house and can monitor it.  

Without reading prior responses:

Yes, but infrequently. 90% of the time, when I do those chores we're either in for the evening or else it's early on a weekend morning and we aren't going anywhere for a bit.

Technically you should always shut the water on you washing machine when not in use.
No kidding?

Logically ... all that does is move the choke point of the water lines back a few feet. It's certainly not a matter of wasting water. Unless the idea is that the choke points at the back of a washer (still got a top loader at home) are more prone to failure than the tap itself.

Only appliance we won't leave on is the oven (and stove top). Especially not on the self cleaning mode.

Yes to all of the above.

My ex wife unplugged the toaster when she wasn't actually making toast.  I'd never seen that before, but my current gf does it too. I've lived over half a century and have never seen a toaster spontaneously combust.  I'm willing to risk it.
We do the same. I guess we learned from our parents?

I always turn off the main breaker whenever I leave the house. Why pay for lights and other background electricity when I'm not even there?

The only appliances that need to run when I'm gone are the refrigerator and the garage door opener, and I've got them both hooked up to a backup battery.

Saves me about $15 per month.

My wife does this therefore I now do this. 

Ok, here's a question. I'm always a bit nervous about curtains touching cords plugged into an outlet. Should I be?

yes to all. 

not worried about a leak, my laundry room has a floor drain. 

I'll even run my oven when not home. It has wifi, so before leaving for one of the kids practices, my wife will put a meal in there, turn it on from her phone from the rink and its ready by the time we get home. Go technology! 

If my dryer starts a massive fire in my basement near my furnace, I would prefer not to be home for that honestly. 

My 3 kids are far more likely to cause more damage than any of those appliances and I leave them home alone. 

That's like asking a skydiver if he avoids going up on his roof for fear of falling.

Of course but I'm divorced.  I'm surprised your wives dont make you turn off the water to your house before you leave.   Maybe theres an alexa compatible valve for that.  

I would leave all three running, though I will say that when we first moved Into my house , everything had just been re-done.  My wife turned on the Washing machine and went out.  Came back and there was water all over the place because I guess they didn’t install something right.  Warped the floor boards slightly.  So there is that. 

Users who are viewing this thread