What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me understand the desire to see Trump fail (1 Viewer)

Bossman

Footballguy
First, let me be forthcoming ... I don't think that I've ever posted in the politics forum.

I'm very ignorant when it comes to politics and I prefer it that way.  True what they say ... ignorance is bliss.

So, as someone attempting to look at our countries health without bias, seems like we're in a pretty good place ...

I watch the stock market continue to climb, economy is strong, unemployment is low, so tell me why is it so many people want Trump to fail?

Is it his policies that people don't agree with ... or is it that they just don't like him as a person?

If it's his policies ... which ones in particular have you wanting him to fail?  Please be specific.

Explain how you are suffering from having Trump as your president?

If it's his policies ... which ones in particular have you wanting him to fail?  Please be specific.
Climate change and the national debt/budget deficit. Both are ticking time bombs and IMO the biggest federal issues we face.

Trump's policies of exiting the Paris accord and repealing Obama's Clean Power Plan have set climate change efforts back at least a decade. Ditto for his tax cuts and ballooning the debt/deficit.

That's more than enough damage for one person.

First, let me be forthcoming ... I don't think that I've ever posted in the politics forum.

I'm very ignorant when it comes to politics and I prefer it that way.  True what they say ... ignorance is bliss.

So, as someone attempting to look at our countries health without bias, seems like we're in a pretty good place ...

I watch the stock market continue to climb, economy is strong, unemployment is low, so tell me why is it so many people want Trump to fail?

Is it his policies that people don't agree with ... or is it that they just don't like him as a person?

I think he is failing in so many ways.  

I want to see him fail to be re-elected.  I wish his policies (like I do with any president) were better for the country.

Nobody in here is wanting people to hurt or the stock market to fail.

I think as a nation we are suffering.  Our relationships with allies are suffering.  Consumers are suffering with his trade wars...as are workers and farmers.

Unemployment and the market are following trends just fine...I don't believe much of it is attributable to any president much less Trump himself.

I want his policies to fail to even be implemented because many are just bad policy (he has no stance on healthcare or ideas...his tax plans have not been beneficial to the right people...I oppose the recent change by the AG on the death penalty...I believe his stance on limiting even legal immigration is bad for our country).  And right now I believe he has too much control over congress...I think too many are afraid to oppose him and are appeasing what he wants...McConnell may have been doing that already...but others are following along and creating the wrong kind of gridlock and not doing their actual jobs.  I also oppose what has happened to the federal judiciary under him.n  Then there are his views on climate and the environment...education...and the complete and total disaster his hiring has been (and he lack of confirmed directors at major positions rather using "acting" directors who were not confirmed by congress).  Oh, and exploding the debt during a strong economy is completely ridiculous.

And then we can get into his personality and words and childish behavior that is just completely unbecoming of a president.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock market looks good on paper if you aren’t paying close attention but in reality it’s being propped up and it’s a house of cards that is going to fall. Hard. 
I am going to hate myself for asking but what exactly is propping up the stock market?

I am going to hate myself for asking but what exactly is propping up the stock market?
We did give a monster buttload of capital to the rich and corporations. Sure we blew a hole in the deficit but nothing matters. 

It's a charge card transition. Sure we're a little cash poor but hey look at that nice furniture set in the living room!  

We did give a monster buttload of capital to the rich and corporations. Sure we blew a hole in the deficit but nothing matters. 

It's a charge card transition. Sure we're a little cash poor but hey look at that nice furniture set in the living room!  
Yes, the tax law helped the stock market but it isn't propping it up.

Anyone not embarrassed by having Trump as president has a very low opinion of our country.
First off, Trump is the only one that represents America? I get that he's POTUS, but this like giving a head coach all the credit for wins/losses.

Secondly,  what if you had a low opinion before Trump was elected. Does the same apply to those people?

For me it is as simple as I want more out of our country than low unemployment and a good stock market. Yes, those are good things, but not at the expense of decency, caring for the vulnerable, and not being a giant ****
Well said.  Couldn’t agree more.  Our President is a representation of us and is supposed to reflect our best aspersions and qualities.  

I have no desire to see Trump fail, as that’s bad for the country, but I absolutely want him out of office as soon as humanly possible. Politics aside (and I do have issues with him there) he’s an embarrassing representation of the worst of our reality TV, vapid, social media culture today.  None of these things were ever what America stood for.  

First off, Trump is the only one that represents America? I get that he's POTUS, but this like giving a head coach all the credit for wins/losses.
He’s the elected leader and face of our country.  That’s vastly more important then any other example you could give.  So yes, right now, he represents us.  

Fail at what?

I want to see him fail at trying to destroy important norms and institutions. I want to see him fail at doing any crimes he attempts. I want to see him fail at shifting power from other branches to the executive. I want to see him fail at gaslighting the public with his constant lies. I want to see him fail at convincing anyone that the media are our enemies. I want to see him fail at walling off the American economy from the rest of the world.

I do not want to see him fail at overseeing a strong economy. I do not want to see him fail at keeping us out of wars. I do not want to see him fail at avoiding national embarrassment.

So there are some things I want him to fail at and some things I want him to succeed at. The reason in each case is that I think this country and its constitution and its principles of democracy, freedom, and the rule of law are important.

Fail at what?

I want to see him fail at destroying important norms and institutions. I want to see him fail at doing any crimes he attempts. I want to see him fail at shifting power from other branches to the executive branch. I want to see him fail at gaslighting the public with his constant lies. I want to see him fail at convincing anyone that the media are our enemies. I want to see him fail at walling off the American economy from the rest of the world.

I do not want to see him fail at overseeing a strong economy. I do not want to see him fail at keeping us out of wars. I do not want to see him fail at avoiding national embarrassment.

So there are some things I want him to fail at and some things I want him to succeed at. The reason in each case is that I think this country and its constitution and its principles of democracy, freedom, and the rule of law are important.
Sounds like someone is having a bad day.

/s

He's divisive

He constantly lies, yet spins it that everyone else is lying

He's a bully

He's a narcissist

He's never apologized about anything

He doesn't have one humble bone in his body

He's corrupt - charitable orgs were fraudulent

He lies

He spends his time tweeting, fighting, arguing, playing golf and watching cable news - neat job.

Your neighbor who has a nice house and a nice car but can't make the payments because they're overwhelmed by the debt it took to obtain those things is not prospering, even if they lie through their teeth/fingers 200 times a day telling you how successful they are.

dkp993 said:
He’s the elected leader and face of our country.  That’s vastly more important then any other example you could give.  So yes, right now, he represents us.  
Simplest answer: He won't impeach himself. 

I think there are a lot of people that make up our government. Some suck less than others.

Don't Noonan said:
WAT?   What impact do you think all those stock buybacks had?  Dampen the market?  The market is up because they know in Trump they have someone who will sacrifice our environment and the common worker at the alter of corporate profits.

It's quite SAD.

Don't Noonan said:
He is having a bad day.
Nah, having a great day owning you.

"Trump's 2.9% is way better than that bum Obama!"  but Obama hit 2.9% also "But that was two years before Trump took over!!"

Obama sucks, I mean he's produced much better financial metrics than Trump by all reasonable standards, but Obama sucks!!!!

dkp993 said:
Charge up that credit card and worry about those bills later.  Let’s pass along the issues created now to our children, let them clean up the mess.  We made $500 more this year, yay us.  
I'll vote for the dem credit card forgiveness plan in 2024. 

There are several reasons I think Trump is bad for our country. Not the least of which is the harm his EPA roll backs will do to our environment separate from climate change. National parks, rivers, clean water & air, etc. Then add in his horrible policy towards climate change.

Don't Noonan said:
Here's a historical chart of P/E ratios.  Nothing alarming here (unlike the true bubble of 2008/9).  However, it is true that after such an extended, 10-year run, it's likely that the market will have some sort of correction in the rather near future.

I don’t like Trump, but I like:

smoking hot stock market is allowing me to retire two years early (money actually matters to some of us middle class folks)

super low unemployment jobs for those who want to work

excellent housing markets

low interest rates going lower

almost no inflation 

the other stuff immigration not such a big issue where I live, I believe trade war to soon be resolved and things important to me will be good.

Bossman said:
I'm suffering from embarrassment and dismay that he is the leader of our country, given his lack of intelligence, ability, initiative, maturity, decency, civility, and values.  He has lowered the bar for what was already a poor political climate.  We deserve much more from the presidency. 

I'm suffering with worry about the long-term damage to our environment, our nation's financial health and social fabric, and our relationships with other countries - both friend and foe. 

I'm suffering with anguish over the treatment of minorities, including those affected by DACA (quite a number of whom I know here at my university), and those seeking refuge in our country. 

Nah, having a great day owning you.

"Trump's 2.9% is way better than that bum Obama!"  but Obama hit 2.9% also "But that was two years before Trump took over!!"

Obama sucks, I mean he's produced much better financial metrics than Trump by all reasonable standards, but Obama sucks!!!!
Isn't that racist?

I called him years ago, “The Chaos President” (and others have since). He’s attempted to upend 7decades of work, by the best of us, to create a stable, democratic, international order. He is all the bad things we’ve seen in history (what we’re supposed to learn from).

Corrupt, dishonest, kleptocratic, the list could go on and on.

I would love successful policy for this country, but not at that steep cost. And this is just an incomplete macroscopic view. The details are overwhelming.

I don't want him to fail, I just want him to stop lying and ruing relationships we have/had with our allies.

Simplest answer: He won't impeach himself. 

I think there are a lot of people that make up our government. Some suck less than others.
Not sure what this has to do with how people feel about the POTUS being our representative which is what we were discussing.  

Not sure what this has to do with how people feel about the POTUS being our representative which is what we were discussing.  
No. The statement I responded to was this:

James Daulton said:
Anyone not embarrassed by having Trump as president has a very low opinion of our country.
Being embarrassed having Trump as POTUS and having a low opinion of our country, can be two different things. I asked about those that felt embarrassed before Trump was elected. I brought up the inability to at least try to impeach Trump. That's an embarrassment as well. Hence, Trump isn't going to impeach himself. 

Users who are viewing this thread