What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shameless plug for Steiner Jr (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
In case anyone out there is bored, you can tune in to watch my son play baseball out in Witchita in the National Baseball Congress World Series. The game starts at 2 today and can be seen either via FB--just search for the National Baseball Congress, or go to youtube and search for it there. He's playing for the Denver Cougars and wearing #8: The Ocho. 

FWIW, this is the first game in their pool, so they'll have at least one more game after this.  The top 2 teams from each pool move on to play next week.  T&P, please and thank you. 

More FWIW, he and 3 of his teammates from his college team drove from Pennsylvania to get there, and if they do go on to play in the second week, he's basically given up the last month or so of his Summer break for baseball. If nothing else, he'll come away from this with a better understanding of what 'sacrifice' means.

More FWIW, he and 3 of his teammates from his college team drove from Pennsylvania to get there, and if they do go on to play in the second week, he's basically given up the last month or so of his Summer break for baseball. If nothing else, he'll come away from this with a better understanding of what 'sacrifice' means.
No, if he didn't play baseball, he'd be giving up the last month or so of his summer break. "sacrifice" would be giving up baseball to work.

No, if he didn't play baseball, he'd be giving up the last month or so of his summer break. "sacrifice" would be giving up baseball to work.
He was doing both starting the week he got home from school, and the Summer ball season ended the day before they left.  He made enough to buy a car and still hit ~.250.

In other news, the FB feed has started but it doesn't seem to be up on youtube yet.

Charlie Steiner said:
His three teammates are at catcher, third base and right field. Good to see them all starting.
howd they do?

can you explain what this is? college age club team world series? 

howd they do?

can you explain what this is? college age club team world series? 
1. Jr had a sac fly in the 1st inning to open the scoring, but a 2-out error by the SS in the 3rd inning turned a 2-0 lead into a 5-0 deficit.  They gave up 4 more runs the next inning and cruised to a 11-3 loss.  He ended up 1-4 at the plate and the only noteable play in the field was a nice barehanded grab and throw back to the infield to turn a triple into a double.  They play the other team in their pool tonight at 9:30 local time.  Since the other team lost their first game as well, the winner of this game will survive to play tomorrow and the loser is done.

2. From what I can tell, it is a college age/eligibility Summer club team "world series", but limited to teams from the west and Midwest.  My son's team is from Denver, and the other teams are mainly "at-large" teams from Kansas, with a team or two from Texas and California.  Of the 12 teams currently playing, only 2 will move on to the second round, where other teams have earned a bye and are waiting.  TBH, even though their site says it's in its been in existence since 1934, I don't think it's as prestigious as it once was.  For example, my son said that there is only 1 player on the roster that was on the team before the tournament.  I'm not sure why the rest of the kids chose not to play, but it seems weird to me that all but 1 player would pass on something like this. Also, from what I can tell, most are DIII/JuCo level players so far.  There may be D1 players here and there, but I'm guessing they would be bench/peripheral players on their school team, as I think this time of year the stars are probably either starting early with their school team or getting some rest in from Summer ball.

Charlie Steiner said:
In case anyone out there is bored, you can tune in to watch my son play baseball out in Witchita in the National Baseball Congress World Series. The game starts at 2 today and can be seen either via FB--just search for the National Baseball Congress, or go to youtube and search for it there. He's playing for the Denver Cougars and wearing #8: The Ocho. 

FWIW, this is the first game in their pool, so they'll have at least one more game after this.  The top 2 teams from each pool move on to play next week.  T&P, please and thank you. 
Good Luck.   I literally almost posted something for my daughters tournament but was too lazy to search for the links - plus I think you had to pay

Game 2 update: Another 1 for 4 day at the plate, another mostly routine day in the field, they pulled off a 4-5 victory to survive for another day. Most noteworthy was that his one hit was off a 92 MPH fastball; he doesn't see those very often so driving one back up the middle was really good to see. 

Next game is this afternoon (~4:30 local time) against one of the other pool winners. Not sure what to expect, but they need to keep the errors down; most of the runs they've allowed have been due to fielding errors, particularly the corner outfielders, who both have let fairly routine balls get past them to the wall and turned singles into doubles and triples with runners on base. 

Bah.  Too bad for the Cougers.  2-0 loss.  
The opposing pitcher had a day.  Jr went 0-3 but at least he didn't strike out or make any errors in the field.  Hopefully his takeaway from this tournament was that he had a solid base hit off a 92 MPH heater.  Also, I don't envy him the drive home; probably won't see him until Saturday.

BTW, thanks for watching.

Users who are viewing this thread