What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Axis & Allies on Steam July 31, 2019 (1 Viewer)

zed2283

Footballguy
I couldn't find the old "Risk" thread for WarLight or WarZone or whatever it's called now, so I thought I'd start a new one to see if I could attract that old crew to see how many would be interested in checking this out.  This is my favorite board game of all-time, my friends and I spent zillions of hours in the summertime playing (the old 1984 version).  It looks like this is going to be the online version of one of the newer editions: Axis & Allies 1942, which is basically the updated version of the one I used to play.

Steam to release online version of Axis & Allies

Trailer

Axis & Allies: A Buyer's Guide

Last edited by a moderator:
I played a lot of Ambition (an A&A knock off iPhone game) with my friends until it shut down. I've been following this closely and am super excited to see this finally happening! 

love it. 

poked around to see if BROADSIDE was undergoing similar, but no dice - i loved affectating me sum John Paul Jones, i was one serious sail clipping mo' - guess it's been ten years gone since i last played that one. 

My friends and I spend a huge amount of time playing A&A and games like it. We had a pool table in our basement, which made for a great "5 star Generals-type" layout.

One of our favorites was Diplomacy (and it's medieval Italy based knock-off - Machiavelli). We liked those because they took away the randomness of playing with dice; having everyone list their plays at the same time made things fun, too. It allows for some behind-the-back sneakery that playing in turn doesn't.

I need to look at the game, and would likely be interested.

otb_lifer said:
love it. 

poked around to see if BROADSIDE was undergoing similar, but no dice - i loved affectating me sum John Paul Jones, i was one serious sail clipping mo' - guess it's been ten years gone since i last played that one. 
Is that Broadside & Boarding Parties?  We always thought about trying that one out, but stuck with the Gamemaster Series (A&A, Conquest of the Empire, Shogun (later called Samurai Swords, I think), and Fortress America).

My friends and I spend a huge amount of time playing A&A and games like it. We had a pool table in our basement, which made for a great "5 star Generals-type" layout.

One of our favorites was Diplomacy (and it's medieval Italy based knock-off - Machiavelli). We liked those because they took away the randomness of playing with dice; having everyone list their plays at the same time made things fun, too. It allows for some behind-the-back sneakery that playing in turn doesn't.

I need to look at the game, and would likely be interested.
We played Diplomacy in my European History class in High School. Really enjoyed the elimination of luck in that game.

We had a ping pong table in the basement that turned into a table for games.  My brother and I played a lot of War of Pacific and believe the map was something like 4ft x 6ft.  Anyone else play W of P??

zed2283 said:
[scooter] said:
I might go for this.

But only if we do NO HEAVY BOMBERS. :rant:
Why not?
The whole "Weapons Development" gimmick is bad enough, but if you get Heavy Bombers it just tips the scales too much in your favor. It's a guaranteed win.

so I'm new to Steam...can you play this on line/browser based or do I need the steam application? My computer is a bit older and my OS is not supported by it...grrrrrr 

The whole "Weapons Development" gimmick is bad enough, but if you get Heavy Bombers it just tips the scales too much in your favor. It's a guaranteed win.
I always liked the weapons development.  Although heavy bombers is the only one I ever cared about...

You're probably right, but by the time you get to the point where you're spending on weapons development, the game is already over and it just helps speed things up.

Is that Broadside & Boarding Parties?  We always thought about trying that one out, but stuck with the Gamemaster Series (A&A, Conquest of the Empire, Shogun (later called Samurai Swords, I think), and Fortress America).
it was a board game from way back in the 70s, when i was but a wee lifer ... Revolutionary War naval battle shtick - think "Battleship" played on a board akin to Stratego's, using Colonial era vessels. 

I dunno game always seemed broken.  Instead of making it balanced they erred to side of realistic.  

If Germany rolls #### the first two rounds it's basically over.

I dunno game always seemed broken.  Instead of making it balanced they erred to side of realistic.  

If Germany rolls #### the first two rounds it's basically over.
For experienced players I think you're right, the game is basically over after the first two rounds, one way or the other.

I've never played this newer 1942 edition though, so I don't know if it's the same or not.

[scooter] said:
I might go for this.

But only if we do NO HEAVY BOMBERS. :rant:
We eliminated them when I was playing this with friends back in the day, only way to give the Axis a fighting chance. Even then, too much emphasis on realism made it tough. If you didn't roll well as Germany in your initial turns against Russia, it was just a slow inevitable grind to defeat.

Does that old WarLight thread exist anymore?
It does, somewhere.  IIRC it's called "New Timewaster."  Between that nondescript subject line and the atrocious search function here it's no wonder you couldn't find it.  If you do find it, feel free to give it a bump. 

I responded, as did a few others, in the WarLight thread/game you started there, and I still play a bit, as do some others from here (although the FBG clan is dead).  If you still play WL or want to, respond there and I'll invite you to a game or we can play that one you started even.  Several others joined it.  

Does that old WarLight thread exist anymore?
It does, somewhere.  IIRC it's called "New Timewaster."  Between that nondescript subject line and the atrocious search function here it's no wonder you couldn't find it.  If you do find it, feel free to give it a bump. 

I responded, as did a few others, in the WarLight thread/game you started there, and I still play a bit, as do some others from here (although the FBG clan is dead).  If you still play WL or want to, respond there and I'll invite you to a game or we can play that one you started even.  Several others joined it.  
Archived

Got an email a little while ago saying that it was ready for download.  And on sale for $17.99.  Gonna check it out first thing after work!

Ok, so I paid up and got the game.  Did the tutorial and played a single player game for 20-30 minutes.  Pretty disappointed so far.  The interface feels pretty clunky, it's almost impossible to follow the other players'/opponents' turns, and you can't follow or choose your losses when defending in battle.

I'll give it some time as this is an "early release" and the developers are already getting a ton of feedback.  Plus I'm not as familiar with this newer 1942 edition so it's a bit different than the game I'm used to.  But so far the old 1998 computer version is waaaaay better.

I jumped at getting the game too. Having issues with "going offline" and having the game restart. Some of the transitions seem like they could be better too. I'll wait to pass judgement as it is early access (ie play test and find the bugs for us!) . I loved this game when younger.

Someone on one of the Steam forums posted a link to this game TripleA which is an unofficial A&A game.  It's free and so far plays better than the official game released today.

Users who are viewing this thread