What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moscow Mitch (1 Viewer)

Joe Mammy

Footballguy
Morning Joe calls McConnell out for blocking election meddling bill. McConnell goes before Senate to complain, he doesn't like the name.

Why would any American block a bill from benefiting us from foreign meddling in our elections?

If the shoe fits Mitch, wear it.

Nice job, twitter! Just goes to show, hastags work!

#moscowmitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Mammy said:
Morning Joe calls McConnell out for blocking election meddling bill. McConnell goes before Senate to complain, he doesn't like the name.

Why would any American block a bill from benefiting us from foreign meddling in our elections?

supposed reasoning is that he is concerned about more federal control over what is supposed to be a state process.

Joe Mammy said:

Exactly how does one go about the bolded?

Joe Mammy said:
The only logical answer is he doesn't think Trump can win again without Russian assistance.

The only logical answer is he doesn't think Trump can win again without Russian assistance.
And because he took millions of dollars from the companies who would be required to invest millions to comply with the new requirements to make voting machines and elections safer.  They don't want to incur the cost, and Mitch is their #####, so he has to protect them from the legislation.  

Mitch is a true patriot.

and now we have LeningradLindsay trending, because of something that Graham did that doesn't even seem to relate to Russia, as far as I can tell.  Very odd.

And yet the howls from the left about the Supreme Court seat both undermine the claim of the "least dangerous branch" and speak to only valid reasons for support of Trump, no? 

I don't agree with the tombstone. That it is procedural is not debatable. You want the loaded term, it's on you to defend it.
He is refusing to even bring items up for discussion because he doesn't like them.  I don’t think my term is loaded...it accurately describes what he is doing and its pathetic.

He is refusing to even bring items up for discussion because he doesn't like them.  I don’t think my term is loaded...it accurately describes what he is doing and its pathetic.
You use the term you like. I'm not really complaining, simply pointing out that procedure more accurately and dispassionately describes what he is doing, regardless of its unprecedented nature. Obstruction seems to be reasonably accurate, but more loaded in colloquial meaning and shading. 

So there is apparently a group of young deplorables calling themselves "TeamMitch".   They apparently thought it would be funny to stand next to a cardboard cut out of AOC and mockingly kissing and choking her on social media.

I am sure their pretend girlfriends are ecstatic right now

Obstruction, in Merriam-Webster's example, is used in an example sentence with "Congressman," and "preventing passage." Perhaps Mitch is obstructing a vote, rather than using procedure to prevent its rightful passage from one place to another, which is how obstruction is generally held in usage, both by thesaurus and commonality. Either way, either use is fairly appropriate, one more loaded than the other.  

But enough. You call it what you want. I'll call it what I want. Both are acceptable; my opinion is that one is more accurate in terms of shades of meaning. I wonder what American Heritage says. They used to do a good job with meaning shades. 

American Heritage emphasizes that in sports, obstruction is a violation of the rules. It also uses examples where rightful passage is blocked, as in a roadway or the hallway to an office blocked by protestors.

It seems like every example of "obstruction" between the two dictionaries involves a commonality of "normal" or "routine" and "unencumbered" passage, and while the bill and the nomination should have by procedural norm passed to the Senate for confirmation or vote, it was no guarantee that they would pass there with a positive result.

Is this clearing anything up? Shouldn't. Both seem correct. One is consistently used when there's been a violation, one is neutral. Take your pick accordingly. 

So there is apparently a group of young deplorables calling themselves "TeamMitch".   They apparently thought it would be funny to stand next to a cardboard cut out of AOC and mockingly kissing and choking her on social media.

I am sure their pretend girlfriends are ecstatic right now
And "finger her". It's not a great look. I don't blame Mitch for that but if I were him, I would put those kids on blast. These are the times and places where real leadership can make a difference. A simple tweet with the picture and message saying "I am not a fan of AOC's politics but she is a human being that deserves respect. Nothing about this picture is funny or clever and it offends me that it's done by people who clearly support me. I would never support this behavior and I hope that the kids here take some time for serious self reflection and prayer." That would go a long way IMO. 

Nobody affirmatively shouted down Jon Favreau and company when they were seen fondling a cardboard cutout of a famous political woman, why should Mitch? I think it would go a long way if there wasn't BOF SIDEZ as precedent in dirty Twitter games such as that. 

I also think we're laying way too much at the feet of people for affirmative denials and responses to social media of which they may not be aware nor want to comment on to lend the social media users any credence whatsoever.

This strikes me as a precedent lain at the wrong feet. 

A simple tweet with the picture and message saying "I am not a fan of AOC's politics but she is a human being that deserves respect. Nothing about this picture is funny or clever and it offends me that it's done by people who clearly support me. I would never support this behavior and I hope that the kids here take some time for serious self reflection and prayer." That would go a long way IMO. 
I definitely don't think he should retweet the image.

Ignoring it entirely is probably correct.

Obstruction, in Merriam-Webster's example, is used in an example sentence with "Congressman," and "preventing passage." Perhaps Mitch is obstructing a vote, rather than using procedure to prevent its rightful passage from one place to another, which is how obstruction is generally held in usage, both by thesaurus and commonality. Either way, either use is fairly appropriate, one more loaded than the other.  

But enough. You call it what you want. I'll call it what I want. Both are acceptable; my opinion is that one is more accurate in terms of shades of meaning. I wonder what American Heritage says. They used to do a good job with meaning shades. 
I just looked up "Mansplaining" in the dictionary and lo and behold there was a picture of your avatar. 

I just looked up "Mansplaining" in the dictionary and lo and behold there was a picture of your avatar. 
To sho? I thought sho was a guy...

I think the whole point of "mansplaining" is condescending to a woman who is generally considered more knowledgeable about the subject than you but can't get a word in edgewise due to circumstance or sexism

And you.

have just been.

"mansplained" to.

by the hottest. avatar.

This side. of the sun. 

And you.

have just been.

"mansplained" to.

by the hottest. avatar.

This side. of the sun. 
Ok.  Now that my morning snark is out of the way, *here* is an issue I can really sink my teeth into. 

While you, my friend, have a wonderful avatar.  Like Maleficent herself, sadly, there is someone fairer in this great realm.  And her name is @Mile High

Users who are viewing this thread