What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ex is letting 12 yo son stay home by himself all day. Cool? (1 Viewer)

They'd be at least...

Votes: 3 2.1%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 27 18.9%

Votes: 7 4.9%

Votes: 54 37.8%

Votes: 22 15.4%

Votes: 18 12.6%

Votes: 8 5.6%

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
Some kids baby sit at 12 years old. 12 is fine to be home alone. 
My 12 year old is going into 7th grade. That’s around the same time we started letting our oldest (18 now) stay home and not have to go to his younger brother’s games. My 12 year old can make himself some foods like pizza bagels, so he’d even be good for lunch. That said we work from home so my boys aren’t usually home alone for more than a few hours during the week and maybe 5-6 hours on the weekend for something like a baseball tournament. 

Do you mean she’s doing it today because something is going on or like that is the plan all day, every day during the summer? 

I don’t think it’s weird if there are days like that. It’s a bit extreme as an every day plan A though. 

Do you mean she’s doing it today because something is going on or like that is the plan all day, every day during the summer? 

I don’t think it’s weird if there are days like that. It’s a bit extreme as an every day plan A though. 
She works MWF, so three days of the week.  

Last edited by a moderator:
my oldest (about to be 11 year old) has a friend (about to be 11) who is home with his 8 year old brother all day while parents are at work this summer

seems a bit young for me but they have no problems 

we're waiting until next summer to let ours stay home alone all day 1-2 days a week to see how it works out

My daughter is 9, and while we wouldn't leave her home all day, occasionally we do for a couple hours or so if she doesn't want to tag along for grocery trips/errands. I imagine by the time she's 12 we won't have an issue with all day.

Like others said, though... depends on the kid. I'm a year and a half older than my sister but it seemed like my parents trusted her more than me to be in charge when they left us home. :lol:

My daughter is 9, and while we wouldn't leave her home all day, occasionally we do for a couple hours or so if she doesn't want to tag along for grocery trips/errands. I imagine by the time she's 12 we won't have an issue with all day.

Like others said, though... depends on the kid. I'm a year and a half older than my sister but it seemed like my parents trusted her more than me to be in charge when they left us home. :lol:
9 seems too young for a few hours but that's just my opinion

to be a little blunt... if you have reason to think your kid can't handle it, have a talk about it privately with your ex. if this is just not ok because of some "ex conflict" type thing, then don't make a big deal out of it and stick your kid in the middle of the conflict, imo. 

In the days of instant communication, I think 12 is a pretty good number. Old enough to take care of mostly anything they need food wise, etc., and old enough to take action with a call/text/etc if there was an emergency.

My 9 yo handles himself pretty well for short stints.  I'd feel pretty confident by 10 years he'd be fine as long as I could easily contact him.  We do this now with our Alexa's around the house.  

By the time he's 12 I would imagine I'd have no issues leaving him by himself while I went to work.  

9 seems too young for a few hours but that's just my opinion
Yeah I can understand that concern. I was a little apprehensive the first couple of times. She does have the ability to text us and it's usually 1-2 hours. She is pretty mature for her age and we feel like she handles it okay. This may be sexist but if she was a boy I'd probably not allow it. I know the trouble boys can get into.

I will occasionally run to the store which is directly behind our neighborhood with my 8 (9 in February) and 6 (7 in November) year olds home alone.  I don't think I'm gone more than 15 minutes tops.  Even then I worry a bit since there's no home phone or cell they can use there.  I should probably just leave mine with them and teach the 8 year old how to call Mom if anything happens.

I figure by the time they're 12 and 10 we can leave for longer periods of time, but honestly I don't know what situation would pop up where we'd need to leave them BOTH home alone.  Maybe the older one if the younger had a sport practice/game or something.  

12 is fine.  Just make sure he knows how to use the home's preferred defense weapon if needed. You don't want him going all Culkin on you.

to be a little blunt... if you have reason to think your kid can't handle it, have a talk about it privately with your ex. if this is just not ok because of some "ex conflict" type thing, then don't make a big deal out of it and stick your kid in the middle of the conflict, imo. 
I'm literally within 5 minutes from her place and work from home, so he could be here instead.  However, he doesn't like being here because of my wife and her son (who are perfectly nice to him, but they're not "his family"), so apparently he's better served to be by himself as far as my ex is concerned. 

Also, he does have a chronic bleeding disorder that would require emergency medical attention if he were to accidentally hit his head or have a severe cut.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the 70's, my parents split up and I was home alone everyday after school starting at 9 years old (almost 10) until my mom got home from work at like 6:00 or 6:30. I went to day camp in the summers (or sleep away camp some when I got older). The world was a different place then, and I don't know all these years later what an appropriate age it is to leave a kid alone and for how long. I have a 17 year old now where I almost have to beg for him to go out of the house he is home so much.

I think 12 is just fine too.  But as mentioned above, if you're uncomfortable about it, perhaps have a talk with the ex to discuss your concerns rather than making it a fight.

Last year my 12 year old stayed home alone 3 days a week during the summer.  However, our home does have an alarm which they know how to arm/disarm.  We have cameras in the home, and the 12 year old has a cell phone.  I'll be honest, I was way more concerned than both my wife and kid.  I'm also only about 10 minutes away from home.

I bet a question about when we were left home alone would skew significantly younger.

My mom left me alone for a couple hours at 6 and I would head out the door for the day at 8 or so.
I remember taking a train from NY to Boston by the time I was 12.

Depends on the kid, neighborhood, etc.  We left our kids at home at 10 yrs old for the workday but we were 10-15 minutes from home and had neighbors that were teachers and home during the day if there was something immediate. 

Kids knew how to make themselves an easy lunch (microwave stuff, cereal, sandwich etc) and we were close by.  I think its good for them to start doing stuff on their own.  We would give them daily chores they had to complete by the time we got home from work.  It works well to help with independence and growing up.  Nothing wrong and it's probably a benefit. 

Back in the 70's, my parents split up and I was home alone everyday after school starting at 9 years old (almost 10) until my mom got home from work at like 6:00 or 6:30. I went to day camp in the summers (or sleep away camp some when I got older). The world was a different place then, and I don't know all these years later what an appropriate age it is to leave a kid alone and for how long. I have a 17 year old now where I almost have to beg for him to go out of the house he is home so much.
The world is probably a safer place now with immediate contact through cell phones. 

I'm literally within 5 minutes from her place and work from home, so he could be here instead.  However, he doesn't like being here because of my wife and her son (who are perfectly nice to him, but they're not "his family"), so apparently he's better served to be by himself as far as my ex is concerned. 

Also, he does have a chronic bleeding disorder that would require emergency medical attention if he were to accidentally hit his head or have a severe cut.   
totally valid concerns. knowing what's happening and being available if needed is likely sufficient but that's up to you guys. good luck!

Depends on the kid we would leave r 8 year old son alone a couple of hours.  Because he is mature enough to handle it.  Our stepson wasn't mature enough to be let alone until he was 15.  Even then we would have cameras in the house. To check on them.  So depends on the kid.

12yo’s can babysit younger kids if they want in MN anyways.  I know I was watching my younger sister at age 10-12 for half the day.

It would be silly to pay a babysitter for a 12yo kid these days unless he’s a hot mess or something....

What a great point when you can leave your child home alone.   For years, you were restrained, but now you're free again to go wherever whenever.   

Ok yea that’s kinda lame, I’d want him at my place In That scenario.  Or at least he would be biking over everyday for lunch.  

My dad was a single parent for a while so I consider myself feral from the ages of 8-12. I’d say freshman year so 14 or 15 years old.

It’s not because your wife and her kid aren’t family.  It’s because he wants to be alone at your ex’s house.  People who want to be alone are doing things they don’t want others to see.  

Leaving him home alone for 30 hours a week with a chronic bleeding disorder and other options available (your house) seems ... unwise.    

As long as he has ready access to a capable firearm and proper training, and is fully advised in the castle doctrine, I'd be fine with it.  This is all available on Youtube.

What good can come from a kid sitting at home unsupervised day after day? The only scenario I could see where this might be OK would be if he had a best buddy in the neighborhood that he's always with or a bunch of friends in the neighborhood that he's hanging out with. If he's just sitting at home by himself all day that seems like a recipe for developing some really bad habits at a really young age.

Wow. I simply cannot imagine ever having left my kids home alone under the age of 10. I guess I'm just paranoid, but that seems absolutely insane to me.

I wrote a short story about the exploits of 12 year old me at home by myself. It was called "The Hunt For Playboys". (they were found)
No joke, every nook and cranny in the house will be searched.  All I ever found was The Joy of Sex, filled with "x-rated" pencil illustrations.  Terrible!

Users who are viewing this thread