What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv & no CBS (1 Viewer)

shadrap

Footballguy
For those who don't know CBS wants a price increase from Directv to broadcast local CBS.   Right now in most markets your local CBS is not on Directv.   I see this as a major stumbling block for NFL football  fans in major markets .   As of now if you are a Directv customer in Denver you won't get the Broncos if on CBS.  As it also stands now(directv subscriber) you either put an antenna on your roof or subscribe to a local cable service.  This is a major problem for Directv.  Wondering if Dish has CBS?   thoughts on this mess?????

Six years ago it was CBS and Time Warner. Few care about summer TV. The NFL season will be where the rubber meets the road. I cant see either side not wanting this to end before the season starts. 

FWIW, I would by an antenna product before cancelling DirectV. You likely do not have to go up on your roof to get it to work. 

Yeah, same situation here.  We have an antenna but CBS doesn't come in great.  It was nice to get a clear CBS signal through the DirecTV.  Hope they get it resolved soon.

Speaking of DirecTV, I really wish they added NFL RedZone.  Sucks that it's on Sling but not DirecTV.

Dish does have CBS but they currently do not have the Fox sports regional networks.  This is where I would watch my local teams, the brewers and bucks.  Just annoying.  Each side is blaming the other side.  I am sure DirectTV is well aware and using the timing of the NFL starting as leverage to get the price increase.

For those who don't know CBS wants a price increase from Directv to broadcast local CBS.   Right now in most markets your local CBS is not on Directv.   I see this as a major stumbling block for NFL football  fans in major markets .   As of now if you are a Directv customer in Denver you won't get the Broncos if on CBS.  As it also stands now(directv subscriber) you either put an antenna on your roof or subscribe to a local cable service.  This is a major problem for Directv.  Wondering if Dish has CBS?   thoughts on this mess?????
Did you try Locast by any chance?  My DTV box supports the app.  The directions on how to use it are on the screen where your local CBS channel appears.  Note that I believe Locast only works in these cities

Baltimore, MD

Boston, MA

Chicago, IL

Dallas, TX

Denver, CO

Houston, TX

Los Angeles, CA

New York, NY

Philadelphia, PA

Rapid City, SD

San Francisco, CA

Sioux Falls, SD

Washington D.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have DirectTV bundled with our phone and frankly it sucks.   Affected by weather, infomercial channels galore and now this spat with CBS.   It is probably time to go back to Comcast or Verizon...

Dish does have CBS but they currently do not have the Fox sports regional networks.  This is where I would watch my local teams, the brewers and bucks.  Just annoying.  Each side is blaming the other side.  I am sure DirectTV is well aware and using the timing of the NFL starting as leverage to get the price increase.
Huh? DirectV isnt the one trying to get more money (in this instance)

Did you try Locast by any chance?  My DTV box supports the app.  The directions on how to use it are on the screen where your local CBS channel appears.  Note that I believe Locast only works in these cities

Baltimore, MD

Boston, MA

Chicago, IL

Dallas, TX

Denver, CO

Houston, TX

Los Angeles, CA

New York, NY

Philadelphia, PA

Rapid City, SD

San Francisco, CA

Sioux Falls, SD

Washington D.C.
Not my cities by my son in Denver can get CBS through what you just described although it's a pain.

If you have Directv and don't get the Sunday Ticket for free you aren't doing it right.

Also, antennas are cheap and work well if you go that route (and you will with many of the streaming services)

Yeah, same situation here.  We have an antenna but CBS doesn't come in great.  It was nice to get a clear CBS signal through the DirecTV.  Hope they get it resolved soon.

Speaking of DirecTV, I really wish they added NFL RedZone.  Sucks that it's on Sling but not DirecTV.
Wait, what? 

Exactly.  If Directv ever lost the Ticket, I would cancel my contract at the next available opportunity.  It's sort of pointless otherwise.
They are charging me for the Sunday ticket this year.  I am dropping the ticket this season $49/mos for 6 months isn't worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have not had many problems in recent years with Direct.  It takes some major storm and downpour to screw up my signal.

CBS is not an issue here...but we are without ABC (I guess the company they are fighting with is affiliated with ABC here in Nashville).  That will suck for some shows my wife likes and college football.  We will likely go with an antenna and hope it works

Ramblin Wreck said:
Did you do the phone call routine with the retention department?
No.  We have our phones bundled with DirectTV.  So you are suggesting that I can and say I want to cancel DirectTV?

No.  We have our phones bundled with DirectTV.  So you are suggesting that I can and say I want to cancel DirectTV?
No idea what will happen with your phones bundled.  I've always been willing to cancel when I made the call because I was okay with only having the red zone channel, which is what I have now.  But I always had success going to the retention department and telling them how much I love Directv but my wife wants to go to Cable/Sling/Hulu and paying for the Sunday ticket would make the bill too high to convince my wife to stay.  Usually when they were done I had free Sunday ticket and hundreds of dollars of credits for the next 12 months.  Just be nice and patient.

We have our internet bundled with DTV.  I am going through the full cancellation process in order to just get back to the discounts I already have- and hopefully a couple extras - superticket and a $200 VISA GC.  

When I placed the cancellation order (for 8/15) I kept the 50mg internet ...it will go from $40/mo to $60/mo.  

This whole CBS thing is the pits - if I get the ST then not much of a problem - we watch very little network TV.  If not - then I'm out will have to go to Fidelity or Dish.

I have DirecTV and had no idea this spat was going on. Shows how much I watch CBS, which is never - except during NFL season. If they don't have it resolved by then, it will be an issue, especially living in an AFC city 

Ramblin Wreck said:
If you have Directv and don't get the Sunday Ticket for free you aren't doing it right.

Also, antennas are cheap and work well if you go that route (and you will with many of the streaming services)
Still?  I use to have good luck with this prior to the AT&T take over, not so much recently.  Though I will admit I haven’t put a ton of effort into it either.  The $200 hasn’t been worth a ton of time on the phone for me.   

IvanKaramazov said:
Exactly.  If Directv ever lost the Ticket, I would cancel my contract at the next available opportunity.  It's sort of pointless otherwise.
Same for me.  

I have Dish and CBS is now out as of a few weeks ago.  I was told they are negotiating.  I am paying for CBS on the APP right now.

It doesn't sound like anyone is paying for the ticket so I don't get why everyone would cancel immediately if DTV lost the ticket.  Also, many are getting big discounts that are making DTV cheaper than many of the streaming services. 

Let's say DTV loses the Ticket and it goes to Dish, who is going to charge $50/month for the Ticket and another $50 for their service and offered no discounts.  Are all of you going to switch to Dish and pay the $100/month no questions asked? 

I switched to DTV a few months ago and it's the absolute worst service I've ever had.  The installation was a complete joke, the on demand and rewind has never worked.  I've easily had 8 service calls in my first few months.  They've had to swap out the main DVR genie and the signal goes out with just about every rain storm.  I'm already bailing, as the Ticket certainly isn't worth all this hassle. 

I'll gladly pay more, significantly more to avoid this crap service. 

nirad3 said:
eoMMan said:

Wait, what? 
I'm confused, too.  We have DirecTV and ST and the Red Zone Channel.  What gives?

I'm confused, too.  We have DirecTV and ST and the Red Zone Channel.  What gives?
Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to DirecTV Now. It's all streaming with no physical dish. My guess is you guys with a dish can access the NFL channels but us streamers with DirecTV Now can not (I could in the past when I had Sling TV).

I can't believe I stuck with DTV for as long as I did, nothing but problems and jumping through hoops to get deals. I'll never go back.

It doesn't sound like anyone is paying for the ticket so I don't get why everyone would cancel immediately if DTV lost the ticket.  Also, many are getting big discounts that are making DTV cheaper than many of the streaming services. 

Let's say DTV loses the Ticket and it goes to Dish, who is going to charge $50/month for the Ticket and another $50 for their service and offered no discounts.  Are all of you going to switch to Dish and pay the $100/month no questions asked? 

I switched to DTV a few months ago and it's the absolute worst service I've ever had.  The installation was a complete joke, the on demand and rewind has never worked.  I've easily had 8 service calls in my first few months.  They've had to swap out the main DVR genie and the signal goes out with just about every rain storm.  I'm already bailing, as the Ticket certainly isn't worth all this hassle. 

I'll gladly pay more, significantly more to avoid this crap service. 
Huh? Not sure what's hard to understand. Not everybody lives in the home market of their favorite  team.  

I think most agree that DTV customer service has taken a dive. They stick with DTV just for the Ticket. 

You'd think this was a football message board or something.  

I wouldn't cancel immediately.  I might wait until my credits run out.

I think most are hoping that once DTV exclusivity runs out there would be a true streaming option like MLB, NHL, MLS , etc.

But yes 50 + 50 sounds reasonable compared to DTV prices as long as new accounts aren't paying 10 + 10.

irishidiot said:
Not my cities by my son in Denver can get CBS through what you just described although it's a pain.
I get CBS just fine 49 miles north of Denver with a leaf antenna.  Cut the cord.

Baltimore, MD

Boston, MA

Chicago, IL

Dallas, TX

Denver, CO

Houston, TX

Los Angeles, CA

New York, NY

Philadelphia, PA

Rapid City, SD

San Francisco, CA

Sioux Falls, SD

Washington D.C.
Locast being sued by 'Big Four'

JaxBill said:
Huh? Not sure what's hard to understand. Not everybody lives in the home market of their favorite  team.  

I think most agree that DTV customer service has taken a dive. They stick with DTV just for the Ticket. 

You'd think this was a football message board or something.  

I wouldn't cancel immediately.  I might wait until my credits run out.

I think most are hoping that once DTV exclusivity runs out there would be a true streaming option like MLB, NHL, MLS , etc.

But yes 50 + 50 sounds reasonable compared to DTV prices as long as new accounts aren't paying 10 + 10.
My point is those that will leave aren't really paying anything, or very little to begin with. 

You even said you'd stick it out through the credits. 

I get that new customers are valued more than existing customers, but that runs across most services including cable/satellite, cell phone, newspaper, streaming services, amongst others. 

I'm a new DTV customer and am far from $10+10. And even with those numbers, the service blows. Cancelling after 4 months. The Ticket isn't worth this crap service. 

No NFL Network on ATT UVerse has got me searching for another provider or getting serious about cutting the cable.

No NFL Network on ATT UVerse has got me searching for another provider or getting serious about cutting the cable.
Wait, wat?!?

That's who I planned on dumping DTV for.  I left uVerse about 4 months ago and NFLN was part of my package then.  When did this happen? 

Dropping DTV as soon as my subscription runs out this Sept. Plenty of Sports channels thru my off air antenna and YoutubeTV with their Sports package. I have been with DTV for 10 years and am tired of the run around i get since the ATT take over. Not worth it. Youtube is cheaper also.

maybe this is a dumb question but it sounds like some in here are saying as long as you have the Ticket you will still be able to watch your local team (in the 700's) that would normally be on your regular CBS channel....like channel 4 or something....right?

but IIRC....if you try to watch the local game in the 700's on the Ticket it will tell you that it is being blacked out because it is available on another channel which is your local channel....so are we sure they have worked that out to where it won't be blacked out in the 700's 

not sure if I am explaining that right.....for instance I live an hour north of Denver.....(Chiefs fan so I get the ticket).....but when it comes to watching the Broncos I would have to watch them on the regular CBS channel (4)....the Bronco game would be unavailable in the 700's.....but currently (4) is not available....come football season will I now be able to watch the Broncos on channel 712 or something...?

maybe this is a dumb question but it sounds like some in here are saying as long as you have the Ticket you will still be able to watch your local team (in the 700's) that would normally be on your regular CBS channel....like channel 4 or something....right?

but IIRC....if you try to watch the local game in the 700's on the Ticket it will tell you that it is being blacked out because it is available on another channel which is your local channel....so are we sure they have worked that out to where it won't be blacked out in the 700's 

not sure if I am explaining that right.....for instance I live an hour north of Denver.....(Chiefs fan so I get the ticket).....but when it comes to watching the Broncos I would have to watch them on the regular CBS channel (4)....the Bronco game would be unavailable in the 700's.....but currently (4) is not available....come football season will I now be able to watch the Broncos on channel 712 or something...?
I don't think so.  I believe the blackout is based on whether you're within the local broadcast area, not whether you are actually receiving the local broadcast. 

You're probably going to have to plug in a $25 over-the-air antenna and watch it on your TV regular like in the olden days. Modern rabbit ears. 
how exactly does this work....sorry need it explained like I'm a 4th grader....will I have to unhook things to my TV that are currently in place....?  where do the rabbit ears plug into the TV....with our new TV now there is really only one entry point which Direct TV is in now and then a HDMI or something

how exactly does this work....sorry need it explained like I'm a 4th grader....will I have to unhook things to my TV that are currently in place....?  where do the rabbit ears plug into the TV....with our new TV now there is really only one entry point which Direct TV is in now and then a HDMI or something
I think you went the wrong way with 4th grader.  I think you meant 40th grader or @shuke

Users who are viewing this thread