What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (3 Viewers)

I'm not saying they weren't bad calls.  But what I'm saying is sometimes an ump just makes a bad call.  I don't think they are doing it as a make up call, although obviously I can't be positive.  But I don't think professional MLB umpires give a lot of "make up calls."  
I was replying to your comment about announcers not acknowledging missed ball/strike calls as if they are trying to hide it.  They acknowledged both of the missed ball/strike calls we were talking about.

So do we need a lot of runs and lead changes for a game to be epic?
Of course not.  But this was neither some intense pitcher's duel nor a game full of intense near win situations where great plays were made to save the game, or batters came up in incredibly tense scenarios (down by 1 run, 2 outs, runners in scoring position in the 9th inning or beyond).

Then the walkoff came in a no-lose situation with no outs and the bases empty with the broadcast barely back from commercial.

It wasn't like we were talking about bases loaded, 2 outs, down by a run here, or anything near it.  We've actually had those kind of situations a fair bit in the last 2-3 post-seasons (sometimes with the entire series on the line).  Even as an Astros fan focusing just on the Astros I didn't have near the butterflies in my stomach near the end of this game as I've had in quite a few games over the last 3 postseasons.  It was a good, close game.  "Epic" is a pretty big stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't get is why these catchers ALL set up extreme outside or inside. What happens is the umpire then sets up inside or outside right over the catchers shoulder.

So those catchers are basically removing about half of the plate from the umpire's eyes. Just set up over the plate and use your glove to set the target inside or outside. And dang near every catcher does this.

In these days of analytics, why don't they catch this simple fix?
The only fix is a true automated strike zone that doesn’t care about catcher and ump positions. That said, I don’t really mind that human factor and good catcher framing. I just didn’t like the feeling that it was a make up call. It’s hard for me to understand how an ump can call an outside strike when the catcher outside moves his glove more. Just say he didn’t foul it off and end it there.

The only fix is a true automated strike zone that doesn’t care about catcher and ump positions. That said, I don’t really mind that human factor and good catcher framing. I just didn’t like the feeling that it was a make up call. It’s hard for me to understand how an ump can call an outside strike when the catcher outside moves his glove more. Just say he didn’t foul it off and end it there.
FWIW I'm not sure I would say the catcher was already outside before moving his glove outside.  He set up high and outside initially but dropped back to a basically normal position (maybe ever so slightly outside) right as the pitch was released.

still frame from my dvr

But what made it "epic"?  And maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but it was good.  And it was a great finish.  But I feel like "epic" implies it was one of the greatest games played.  Like,  Game 5 of the 2017 WS was an epic game.  One for the ages.  But the game was tied in the 5th inning and then nothing really happened until the walk off homerun in the 11th.  
Click bait makes it epic homey ;)  

We have so much crappy replay in sports, but MLB putting in an automated strike zone would be a real improvement.  Tennis seems to be the only sport that really does it well.

What I don't get is why these catchers ALL set up extreme outside or inside. What happens is the umpire then sets up inside or outside right over the catchers shoulder.

So those catchers are basically removing about half of the plate from the umpire's eyes. Just set up over the plate and use your glove to set the target inside or outside. And dang near every catcher does this.

In these days of analytics, why don't they catch this simple fix?
If it’s a wild pitch basically impossible to block it. Setting body up where the pitch is going to be allows catcher to block and move in a realistic way to stop a 80+ mph ball. 

I see that we have a nor'easter coming up the coast Wednesday.  Doesn't look good for baseball in The Bronx.  And Thursday looks to be windy and cold behind the low.  They'll be able to play that day, but the wind could be a factor.  If it gets rained out, I assume they move the games up and no travel day.  Which is fine.  I never understood the travel day in the playoffs.  These guys travel all season and play the next day.  I think the travel day actually takes guys out of their rhythm more than helps them.  Maybe the pitchers like it, but I'd guess the others would rather just play.

We have so much crappy replay in sports, but MLB putting in an automated strike zone would be a real improvement.  Tennis seems to be the only sport that really does it well.
Not so sure about that. Would have a pretty big impact on the game as we know it. Defensive catchers would no longer be a thing and it would strictly become an offense position. Strong arm would be the only skill required. Catcher probably wouldnt even sit in traditional position. Instead he would just stand back there in the best position to receive the ball and throw out baserunners as efficiently as possible. Tons of players in the minors/majors would suddenly be out of job since the skill they worked on for years would suddenly be obsolete. 

Not so sure about that. Would have a pretty big impact on the game as we know it. Defensive catchers would no longer be a thing and it would strictly become an offense position. Strong arm would be the only skill required. Catcher probably wouldnt even sit in traditional position. Instead he would just stand back there in the best position to receive the ball and throw out baserunners as efficiently as possible. Tons of players in the minors/majors would suddenly be out of job since the skill they worked on for years would suddenly be obsolete. 
They better vote Andrew Yang. 

I see that we have a nor'easter coming up the coast Wednesday.  Doesn't look good for baseball in The Bronx.  And Thursday looks to be windy and cold behind the low.  They'll be able to play that day, but the wind could be a factor.  If it gets rained out, I assume they move the games up and no travel day.  Which is fine.  I never understood the travel day in the playoffs.  These guys travel all season and play the next day.  I think the travel day actually takes guys out of their rhythm more than helps them.  Maybe the pitchers like it, but I'd guess the others would rather just play.
It sucks that the Yanks are too poor to afford a roof. 

It sucks that the Yanks are too poor to afford a roof. 
I said it somewhere else, but I don't get why southern teams have roofs and northern teams have open air.  Like, if Minnesota ever gets to the WS, that could be a mess.

Honestly, in this day and age, anyone building a baseball stadium should be making a retractable roof.  There's no reason not to have one.  You want to play out in the sun with the warm air in your face?  Open the roof.  Most ballparks don't just have the roof retract, like football.  The walls do, too.  Is it hot, cold, rainy?  Close the roof.

Rain outs should only happen at Wrigley and Fenway.  And once they finally demolish those relics, put a roof on it.  

I said it somewhere else, but I don't get why southern teams have roofs and northern teams have open air.  Like, if Minnesota ever gets to the WS, that could be a mess.

Honestly, in this day and age, anyone building a baseball stadium should be making a retractable roof.  There's no reason not to have one.  You want to play out in the sun with the warm air in your face?  Open the roof.  Most ballparks don't just have the roof retract, like football.  The walls do, too.  Is it hot, cold, rainy?  Close the roof.

Rain outs should only happen at Wrigley and Fenway.  And once they finally demolish those relics, put a roof on it.  
I think that makes sense.  Most ballgames are played in the summer.  It is forking hot in Florida in the summer, and pretty nice in MN then.

Also, the stadium has to be a bit boxy even where the roof is retractable instead of fixed (see something like Miller Park in Milwaukee).  A retractable roof would probably kill the view of the Pittsburgh skyline from PNC Park.

I think the only/main problem with them is that it creates obstacles that affect the game.

Yankees hit a routine fly ball in foul territory that would have been the 3rd out of the inning in the 8th or 9th inning last night.  But it hit one of the structures for the roof and then becomes an immediate dead ball, so the batter got to continue instead of being out on a routine pop-up.  I was going to be ticked if he hit in the winning run after that.

It goes mostly un-talked about right now but it's going to become a story if/when something like that happens and then someone hits a walk off home run on the next pitch in a playoff game.

I think the only/main problem with them is that it creates obstacles that affect the game.

Yankees hit a routine fly ball in foul territory that would have been the 3rd out of the inning in the 8th or 9th inning last night.  But it hit one of the structures for the roof and then becomes an immediate dead ball, so the batter got to continue instead of being out on a routine pop-up.  I was going to be ticked if he hit in the winning run after that.

It goes mostly un-talked about right now but it's going to become a story if/when something like that happens and then someone hits a walk off home run on the next pitch in a playoff game.
It happened twice didn’t it? 

I haven’t seen it happen very often though. Seemed kind of flukey. 

So many home runs taken away by either the second or something ring in Tampa Bay over the years. Big bombs back to earth, in a hurry, live. 

So many home runs taken away by either the second or something ring in Tampa Bay over the years. Big bombs back to earth, in a hurry, live. 
Yeah Tampa's is probably the worst.

Just wait until that happens in the bottom of the 9th in the WS or something one day.

TheIronSheik said:

The reason not to have one is about another $350 million on top of the price of a regular yard. This was the problem with the Rays Tampa stadium proposal. Went from 550 to 900 with a retractable roof. 

rockaction said:
Nah. If a ball hits the C or D ring in the trop it’s a homer. The balls you see coming back into play hit the A or B rings which are usually pop ups. 

Ozuna should have had that - would like to see where he was positioned. Of course he just stuck the bat out hard to expect that

Will be shocking if st. Louis can come back from this. Dare I say epic?
As a Cards fan I can pretty much assure you it isn't gonna happen.  They are excellent defensively and pitching but they lack punch.  This series ended with that last inning.  Oh well.  They got closer than 26 other teams.

FreeBaGeL said:
FWIW I'm not sure I would say the catcher was already outside before moving his glove outside.  He set up high and outside initially but dropped back to a basically normal position (maybe ever so slightly outside) right as the pitch was released.

still frame from my dvr
Note the angle of the camera view. Draw a line from where the rubber would be through the plate. It’s slightly right of the pitcher’s left foot, which generally lands around straight in front of rubber towards plate. That line seems to go through the middle of the catcher’s left shin guard. He’s lined up a decent amount outside and I recall he had to reach his glove right to catch it. There are some close pitches according to the box that go either way but that one was outside enough where it’s rare to get a strike call. He definitely never fouled off the pitch before, but the final strike call was pretty bad. 

FreeBaGeL said:
Of course not.  But this was neither some intense pitcher's duel nor a game full of intense near win situations where great plays were made to save the game, or batters came up in incredibly tense scenarios (down by 1 run, 2 outs, runners in scoring position in the 9th inning or beyond).

Then the walkoff came in a no-lose situation with no outs and the bases empty with the broadcast barely back from commercial.

It wasn't like we were talking about bases loaded, 2 outs, down by a run here, or anything near it.  We've actually had those kind of situations a fair bit in the last 2-3 post-seasons (sometimes with the entire series on the line).  Even as an Astros fan focusing just on the Astros I didn't have near the butterflies in my stomach near the end of this game as I've had in quite a few games over the last 3 postseasons.  It was a good, close game.  "Epic" is a pretty big stretch.
It happens so rarely, I don't think that's a big deal.  Before the juiced ball of 2019, I believe the roof was hit something like less than 15 times in the almost 20 year life of Enron/Minute Made.  This year, it's happened like 7 times.  

This game today feels so critical. 

Whoever loses will have to win 3 out of 4. 

If NY loses 2 of those 4 would be JV/Cole and the HFA they got back would also be gone. 

Seems like their fans are super nervous on Twitter. I’ve seen some really horrible tweets too. One guy tweeted that he hoped the Astros plane crashed on the flight to NY. 

This game today feels so critical. 

Whoever loses will have to win 3 out of 4. 

If NY loses 2 of those 4 would be JV/Cole and the HFA they got back would also be gone. 

Seems like their fans are super nervous on Twitter. I’ve seen some really horrible tweets too. One guy tweeted that he hoped the Astros plane crashed on the flight to NY. 
I would say all of the pressure in on Houston today.  It's our ace who is unhittable.  If they can beat Cole, there's nothing standing in their way at that point.  If Cole wins today, it's expected.  If the Yanks win, it's a huge momentum swing that'll be hard to recover from.

I would say all of the pressure in on Houston today.  It's our ace who is unhittable.  If they can beat Cole, there's nothing standing in their way at that point.  If Cole wins today, it's expected.  If the Yanks win, it's a huge momentum swing that'll be hard to recover from.
I think more pressure is on NY for the reasons I stated and they come out tight while Houston plays loose. 

I think the Astro bats really come alive today because hitting is contagious and what Correa did will jumpstart everyone. 

I also think this guy pitching for NY will be rusty and groove some pitches because he hasn’t played much this year. 

But I could be totally wrong, Sheik. 

Not sure one is under more pressure than the other. i think the loser today is in a hole but I believe the Yankees need it more than Houston.  Yanks lose and the best they can hope for is to get to game 6 needing to beat either JV or GC in Houston.  1 of 2 is not usually bad but when it's those 2 I think that's daunting.   A Houston loss today is not the end of the world but if they don't force Boone to use his pen much then that would hurt.  A NY win and a bunch of fresh arms for games 3 and 4 is bad news for Houston.

:2cents:

Not sure one is under more pressure than the other. i think the loser today is in a hole but I believe the Yankees need it more than Houston.  Yanks lose and the best they can hope for is to get to game 6 needing to beat either JV or GC in Houston.  1 of 2 is not usually bad but when it's those 2 I think that's daunting.   A Houston loss today is not the end of the world but if they don't force Boone to use his pen much then that would hurt.  A NY win and a bunch of fresh arms for games 3 and 4 is bad news for Houston.

:2cents:
Right. That’s the best NY can hope for but they still would have to win twice at home. just get to that point. 

If this thing goes 7 and Washington finishes off STL in 4 or 5 they will be sitting pretty with their pitching lined up however they want it. 

Pressure for the Stros is they have to win one on the road now (which has not been their strength in the postseason) and this is their best shot at that with Cole on the mound.

No Gioncarlo Stanton. 

I was listening to WFAN this morning and apparently Reggie Jackson was caught on open mic he didn’t know was on talking crap about him being hurt too much. 

Users who are viewing this thread