What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (4 Viewers)

AL at least means that they can give him a break as a DH every now and again.  Not worth the contract if he starts playing DH more than on a part-time basis, but may at least help to keep his legs fresher than if he stayed the NL.

Eephus said:
Grandal gets a lot of his defensive value from pitch framing.  He was second best in MLB last year in stealing strikes. 

I wonder if we get robots calling balls and strikes during the term of his contract.
Can you believe we're rewarding him for cheating?  I mean, he clearly knows the pitch is a ball, but he's trying to trick the umpire.  Guy's careers have been ruined over stuff like this.  They come up to the majors, get one at bat, strike out on a clear off the plate pitch, and get sent down to the minors never to return.  I think we should hang these offenders.

This is why I cant understand my fellow yankees fans who complain about Gary Sanchez. I guess they'd  rather pay a lot more money for an inferior player.

Can you believe we're rewarding him for cheating?  I mean, he clearly knows the pitch is a ball, but he's trying to trick the umpire.  Guy's careers have been ruined over stuff like this.  They come up to the majors, get one at bat, strike out on a clear off the plate pitch, and get sent down to the minors never to return.  I think we should hang these offenders.
Sheik, have you ever watched Field of Dreams?

Heard of the name Moonlight Graham?

I have.  What's your point?  Are you saying because the Astros stole signs, Graham never got to bat?  That might be the hottest take I've ever heard.
I am saying that a guy could come up to the majors and get one at bat and never be heard from again. 

Sheik, I am genuinely worried about the Astros. If Manfred wants to make an example out of them and suspend Luhnow and/or Hinch they are toast. If it’s a fine and some draft picks or something they will be okay in my opinion. 

I am saying that a guy could come up to the majors and get one at bat and never be heard from again. 
Graham didn't get an at bat, so that doesn't really make sense.  If anything, it proves me point more.  

If you are good enough, you won't be judged on one at bat.  These guys are playing in the minors for a reason.  If they are good enough, a team will bring them up.  If they bring them up, they suck and send them back down, their career isn't over.  They can tear it up in the minors and get called up again.  If a guy doesn't make it in the majors, it's not because of any single event.  It's because they aren't good enough.

The Royals beat the Astros in that epic comeback in 2015.

IN YOUR FACE CHEATERS!!!!!!
That one still hurts.  Not as bad as Joe Carter's home run.  But this one stings.  The 2017 World Series helped heal the wound a little.  Thank God no one can ever take that away from us.  :mellow:

Sheik, I am genuinely worried about the Astros. If Manfred wants to make an example out of them and suspend Luhnow and/or Hinch they are toast. If it’s a fine and some draft picks or something they will be okay in my opinion. 
I don't think anything drastic will come.  Maybe big suspensions but no law was broken.  So I don't think anyone is being forced out of a job.  I think (if they find evidence, which it seems they might) we'll see huge fines and long suspensions. 

I think Manfred wants to make an example out of them, but it won't be anything like the Cardinals hacking punishment.  Dude went to jail for that.  

I don't think anything drastic will come.  Maybe big suspensions but no law was broken.  So I don't think anyone is being forced out of a job.  I think (if they find evidence, which it seems they might) we'll see huge fines and long suspensions. 

I think Manfred wants to make an example out of them, but it won't be anything like the Cardinals hacking punishment.  Dude went to jail for that.  
If it’s real harsh I predict all hell will break loose and the Astros will spill whatever they know about others. 

I was mostly kidding

But you’re kinda reminding me in here of Eagles fans

Youre ALMOST happy that they won one, but they’re so annoying that you really wish they hadn’t 
Ouch, GB.  I'm an Eagles fan, too.   :lol:

I don't know if my tone comes across on here the wrong way a lot, but I can assure you most times I'm going for the joke or to try and make people smile.  

the astros win is forever tarnished i mean its nice i guess for houston fans that they won but its sort of trash and always will be and thats just how it is same thing any brewers fan has to admit about brauns mvp take that to the cheaters gonna cheat take that to the bank brohans 

the astros win is forever tarnished i mean its nice i guess for houston fans that they won but its sort of trash and always will be and thats just how it is same thing any brewers fan has to admit about brauns mvp take that to the cheaters gonna cheat take that to the bank brohans 
The Brewers have also been mentioned as another team heavily into stealing signs. 

Since you can’t win anything it doesn’t matter though. 

The Brewers have also been mentioned as another team heavily into stealing signs. 

Since you can’t win anything it doesn’t matter though. 
tough but fair and i have heard that but i still like going and sitting in the cheap seats sucking a beer and having a dog and yelling that muchado sucks so ive got that going for me which is nice take that to the bank brohans 

I'm at work and don't listen to videos with sound here.  Or really anytime, I guess.  But I notice that in the comments (and yes, it looks to be mainly Astros fans) people are saying the whistling is happening before the pitcher nods or in some cases before the catcher throws down a sign.  Can anyone confirm this?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/22/astros-sign-stealing-2017-playoffs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_source=reddit.com

”Fiers alleged that Houston stole catchers’ signs from a camera positioned in centerfield at Minute Maid Park. The signs were read on a television monitor just steps behind the Astros’ dugout. A signal for an off-speed pitch would prompt someone to bang a dugout trash can loudly enough for the hitter to hear. The absence of such a noise would alert the hitter to a fastball. The use of devices to steal signs is illegal in baseball.”

“A source familiar with the sign-stealing investigation said by midweek that Manfred’s investigators had interviewed “15 to 20” Astros personnel, including the 2017 coaching staff and manager A.J. Hinch—some more than once. The source said the investigation confirmed the scheme as described by Fiers was used during a period of about three months during the 2017 regular season. The source added that the investigation is also pursuing whether the Astros used modified systems to acquire signs in the 2017 postseason, when scrutiny is heightened and the banging of a trash can would be more manifest. The Astros were 8–1 at home in the 2017 postseason.“

“MLB is also investigating a directive by the Houston front office to its scouts that encouraged the use of cameras to surveil dugouts of potential playoff opponents as part of the team’s preparation for the 2017 postseason.“

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/22/astros-sign-stealing-2017-playoffs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_source=reddit.com

”Fiers alleged that Houston stole catchers’ signs from a camera positioned in centerfield at Minute Maid Park. The signs were read on a television monitor just steps behind the Astros’ dugout. A signal for an off-speed pitch would prompt someone to bang a dugout trash can loudly enough for the hitter to hear. The absence of such a noise would alert the hitter to a fastball. The use of devices to steal signs is illegal in baseball.”

“A source familiar with the sign-stealing investigation said by midweek that Manfred’s investigators had interviewed “15 to 20” Astros personnel, including the 2017 coaching staff and manager A.J. Hinch—some more than once. The source said the investigation confirmed the scheme as described by Fiers was used during a period of about three months during the 2017 regular season. The source added that the investigation is also pursuing whether the Astros used modified systems to acquire signs in the 2017 postseason, when scrutiny is heightened and the banging of a trash can would be more manifest. The Astros were 8–1 at home in the 2017 postseason.“

“MLB is also investigating a directive by the Houston front office to its scouts that encouraged the use of cameras to surveil dugouts of potential playoff opponents as part of the team’s preparation for the 2017 postseason.“
MLB only confirmed the scheme, but that doesn’t mean it’s confirmed and MLB just hates Houston. 

Travis d'Arnaud to the Braves.  Braves seem to be signing a lot of players.  Or at least be mentioned in almost every free agent out there.

I just heard a rumor that a couple of teams were stealing bases during the 2019 season.  They had an elaborate system of where the third base coach would send signs to the runners on the basepaths in an attempt to alert them whether to attempt to steal a base.  If found guilty, I hope Manfred kills their families and burns down their hometowns.  

I give props to the Nats.  Apparently they were using 5 different kinds of coded signs all through the playoffs.  I also saw where one AL pitcher would give signs to the catcher.  This was me growing up because I refused to wear glasses when I pitched.  My catcher got tired of throwing down a sign, and then getting crossed up because I thought I saw a 1 instead of a 2.  So I would touch my hat or my shoulders like I was pulling my shirt.  And then the catcher would touch his glove to the ground on the pitch he wanted.  

Again, why in this day and age you'd rely on the antiquated system of throwing down a single number and hoping no one could see was beyond me.

Strasburg and Cole could both be Twins according to the rumors around my house. 
I still think Cole is going to disappoint whoever signs him.  Strasburg, in my opinion, is the real catch this offseason.  And, he'll most likely be a lot cheaper than Cole.

That said, I'd still be happy if my team signed Cole.  I'm not saying it's a definite he'll decline.  I just think he has a bigger chance of busting than Stras.

I still think Cole is going to disappoint whoever signs him.  Strasburg, in my opinion, is the real catch this offseason.  And, he'll most likely be a lot cheaper than Cole.

That said, I'd still be happy if my team signed Cole.  I'm not saying it's a definite he'll decline.  I just think he has a bigger chance of busting than Stras.
Agree on Cole. If the Astros can get Wheeler they can turn him into something better than Cole has been the last couple of years. 

This is my first time reading through this thread and you've pretty much made it miserable, sir.
Also, I would probably suggest only reading each thread once, GB.  For the most part, all threads are bad reading them the second time through.  Although, GM's thread about the tilde was straight money.  I probably read that 20 times and each time had tears running down my face.  But, yeah, for the most part, a baseball thread is going to be boring reading it a second time through.  YWIA

What's everyone's thoughts on this Evan White contract signing?  I'm not sure what to think about it.  On one hand, it seems good for the the players.  But on the other hand, are they shorting themselves out of possible long term money?  I don't know enough about how MLB contracts work to know this.  

I can't believe the Phillies have the 5th longest postseason drought in baseball.  I mean, I know it's been since 2011 but that seems like yesterday.  And honestly, not even 10 years ago.  Seems weird to call something a drought in MLB when it's less than a decade.

But, I'm ready for this drought to end.  I'll be surprised if they don't sign either Stras or Rendon.

Sheik, when the Phillies go down to Houston next year to play the Astros, who do you hope wins those games?

Sheik, when the Phillies go down to Houston next year to play the Astros, who do you hope wins those games?
For regular season games, I root for the team that would benefit more.  If they were to meet in the WS, I would root for the Phillies.  But I would not be sad if the Astros beat them.  

TheIronSheik said:
What's everyone's thoughts on this Evan White contract signing?  I'm not sure what to think about it.  On one hand, it seems good for the the players.  But on the other hand, are they shorting themselves out of possible long term money?  I don't know enough about how MLB contracts work to know this.  
It seems like a fair deal for both sides.  $24M is generational wealth for the player but not enough money to be a significant sunk cost to the Mariners if White turns out to be a bust. 

It's a bit of a paradox in that the club is betting on the player being a major long-term contributor while White and his agent are hedging by taking the sure thing.  White has less than 100 MiLB games above A ball but the Mariners must like what they've seen. 

The Astros signed a scrub catcher from the A’s. 

I would absolutely hate for anything illegal that Mike Fiers has done to get told by him. 

Phillies sign Josh Harrison.  Small move but I like these moves.  Low risk, high potential.  If he turns out to be done, so be it.  But if he can produce like he did a couple of years ago, nice find. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread