Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2019 MLB Off Season - Hot Stove and Winter Meetings

Posted (edited)

I know there's a baseball forum that 15 people use, but I figured it would be OK to have this just for today.

It's crazy to think the two biggest moves so far are from sub .500 teams.  And the biggest move (arguably) last year was from another sub .500 team trading for Archer. (Danger zone!)

Will anyone big get traded?  I think if the Mets move Thor, the GM needs to be fired.  I can't see why the Giants wouldn't move MadBum.  At least get something for him instead of nothing come the offseason.

As a Phillies fan, I don't expect much movement since they have no one down on the farm to trade.  As an Astros fan, I'm excited to see if they make a big move for a #3 starter.  I was hoping Stroman (especially since his name fit perfectly), but that ain't happening.  

Less than 5 hours to go.  I'm thinking the main fireworks have already gone off.  Expecting this next couple of hours to be anticlimactic.  

Edited by TheIronSheik
  • Like 1

If the Tigers don't trade Castellanos, Greene, and Boyd - I'm going to be super pissed.

Rumor is, the asking price for Syndergaard is ridiculous. 

I think Boyd will get dealt and likely Greinke and Ray...although Greinke's contract is pretty substantial. 

Per usual, I expect the Twins do little to improve the club. 

2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I think Boyd will get dealt and likely Greinke and Ray...although Greinke's contract is pretty substantial. 

Per usual, I expect the Twins do little to improve the club. 

Really would hope the Twins nab one of the top tier starters available and a reliever.  Otherwise this great season will just result in another short post season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Yeah, they want the best prospect and an MLB decent player.  And clubs are saying they aren't budging from that.  But if you trade for Stroman, it makes no sense to trade Noah.  Wheeler, yes.  But Thor, no.

Too bad, because I'd love to see Thor in an Astros uniform.

• Like 1

Just saw the report that the Mets have said Thor is off the trading blocks.

there’s a reason only 15 people use the baseball forum 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

On a side note, is Yasiel Puig the first player ever to be involved in an on-field altercation where he was not part of either team playing? :lol:

• Like 3
  • Laughing 4

17 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

As a Phillies fan, I don't expect much movement since they have no one down on the farm to trade.  As an Astros fan, I'm excited to see if they make a big move for a #3 starter.  I was hoping Stroman (especially since his name fit perfectly), but that ain't happening.  

Less than 5 hours to go.  I'm thinking the main fireworks have already gone off.  Expecting this next couple of hours to be anticlimactic.  

WTH man?

3 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

WTH man?

Spent about half my life in each city.  If they face each other in the WS, I am a Phillies fan.  

Phillies made their moves. Pitching is an after thought to them apparently.

The Mets should be looking for much needed bullpen help and go for it.

deGrom, Syndergaard, Stroman, Wheeler & Matz.

oh and maybe stop batting Cano cleanup.

• Like 1

Don’t worry there’s like 7 more deadlines to move players.  

3 minutes ago, Gottabesweet said:

Not anymore.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, =Smackdown= said:

The Mets should be looking for much needed bullpen help and go for it.

deGrom, Syndergaard, Stroman, Wheeler & Matz.

oh and maybe stop batting Cano cleanup.

Mets would probably be in the WC spot if they didn't trade for Diaz/Cano

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Capella said:

Oh?   Which is?  And incidentally I thought your comment was funny, Sheik.  

I am expecting another dull deadline.  Most teams right now don't care about winning, it seems.  Hoping I'm wrong, though. 

Edited by Aerial Assault

45 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Really would hope the Twins nab one of the top tier starters available and a reliever.  Otherwise this great season will just result in another short post season.

They are already saving 11M from last year. Additionally, attendance is up 20% and viewership is up 40%. 

Zero reason to be so cheap. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Yeah, this is the year they need to go for it.  That's a good ball club that just needs a couple of pieces. 

57 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

yep. I am assuming I will be annoyed later today.     Romo came in a pitched a great inning in a close game last night, we need another one of those guys badly.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whoknew said:

If the Tigers don't trade Castellanos, Greene, and Boyd - I'm going to be super pissed.

Boyd is among those whose shopping mystifies me. Lotsa guys w multiple years of team control left (3 more for Boyd) being placed on the market, a huge sea-change. Don't know the math, but i can't see the risk/reward of any prospect having the value of a quality player just entering their arb years unless a team simply cant afford those and, if you cant afford those, you shouldnt be a franchise.

*not arguing w you, wk, just using that to make the point

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

Boyd is among those whose shopping mystifies me. Lotsa guys w multiple years of team control left (3 more for Boyd) being placed on the market, a huge sea-change. Don't know the math, but i can't see the risk/reward of any prospect having the value of a quality player just entering their arb years unless they simply cant afford those and, if you cant afford those you shouldnt be a franchise.

*not arguing w you, wk, just using that to make the point

I understand your point. But I think this is Boyd's high water mark/career season. He's 28 years old and has never really been this good before. 

For context -

Year                ERA                 FIP               SO/9             SO/W

2016              4.53                4.75                 7.6                  2.83

2017             5.27                4.51                 7.3                   2.08

2018             4.39                4.45                8.4                     3.12

2019             3.94                3.47              12.1                    6.14

So its possible that he just all of a sudden got a lot better at his age 28 season - but I'd be kind of surprised. And the Tigers are just not anywhere close to competing. By the time they are ready (2022 at the VERY earliest), Boyd will be 32. I just have a hard time seeing him being worth paying big money for at that point. And the Tigers desperately need minor league impact bats. Almost all of their top prospects are pitchers.

I get your point - a bird in the hand. I just think in Boyd's situation, it makes a lot more sense to trade him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, comfortably numb said:

Mets would probably be in the WC spot if they didn't trade for Diaz/Cano

True

but that would also mean Familia would most likely be their Closer.

death by hanging or death by firing squad?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

49 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yasiel Puig brawling for the Reds last night after they traded him is great schtick

If he was in the crowd watching he would jump the fence just to get in on that.

Jesus Aguilar going to St. Pete to change Capella's attitude.

The Brewers get Jake Faria in return.

6 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I understand your point. But I think this is Boyd's high water mark/career season. He's 28 years old and has never really been this good before. 

For context -

Year                ERA                 FIP               SO/9             SO/W

2016              4.53                4.75                 7.6                  2.83

2017             5.27                4.51                 7.3                   2.08

2018             4.39                4.45                8.4                     3.12

2019             3.94                3.47              12.1                    6.14

So its possible that he just all of a sudden got a lot better at his age 28 season - but I'd be kind of surprised. And the Tigers are just not anywhere close to competing. By the time they are ready (2022 at the VERY earliest), Boyd will be 32. I just have a hard time seeing him being worth paying big money for at that point. And the Tigers desperately need minor league impact bats. Almost all of their top prospects are pitchers.

I get your point - a bird in the hand. I just think in Boyd's situation, it makes a lot more sense to trade him.

ya, i guess. i'm old-fashioned - more patient w lefties, esp w the up in K9. like i said, he's not the only one under multi-yr control in the chatter. altho, i dont think there's a real Sham/Woj (sad as they are) or Shefter in baseball anymore, so maybe the talk is just that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

The yanks will spend at will to get another starter.

If that was the case they'd already have Verlander or Corbin or Keuchel

• Like 1

Come on Yankees. Offer Garcia for MadBum. Lets get this done!

1 hour ago, Gottabesweet said:

Nah they did away with waiver trades. One deadline now. Hard stop.

17 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Martin Maldonado to the Astros.  No Candyman though.

You think Carter Kieboom gets traded today or is he off limits?

Welcome back, Machete!

I think the Astros get Robbie Ray or a very remote chance at Bumgarner.

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

off-limits. the rep & rankings indemnify him, cept str8up for a star. Dave Dombrowski's the only GM who it doesnt bother to be "the GM who traded him"

Just now, Ramblin Wreck said:

I think Nats would listen (particularly if any one controlled beyond this year, as that seems more to be Rizzo’s MO), but probably off limits as he is still a big part of the plan for next year — and his value may have taken an unfair hit with his call-up this year, as he was always thought of as more a 2B than SS.  Luis Garcia may be more likely to go, as he is a bit duplicative there.

I’m kind of torn on what I hope the Nats do. Definitely need RPs and maybe even a SP, but they have really bled the farm system a lot the past few years.  

Yankees and Astros making last minute (hour?) pushes to work a deal for MadBum, Wheeler.

2 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I think Nats would listen (particularly if any one controlled beyond this year, as that seems more to be Rizzo’s MO), but probably off limits as he is still a big part of the plan for next year — and his value may have taken an unfair hit with his call-up this year, as he was always thought of as more a 2B than SS.  Luis Garcia may be more likely to go, as he is a bit duplicative there.

I’m kind of torn on what I hope the Nats do. Definitely need RPs and maybe even a SP, but they have really bled the farm system a lot the past few years.  

Yeah same here.  I'd be more comfortable with them trading Kieboom if they had already extended Rendon but I'm getting the feeling now that they won't pay him either.  I am hoping they can use lower tier prospects to upgrade Sipp and Blazek with rentals.  I'm okay if Garcia fetches one of the better relievers like Greene.

Just now, TheIronSheik said:

Yankees and Astros making last minute (hour?) pushes to work a deal for MadBum, Wheeler.

'Stros also in play for Robbie Ray.  

2 hours ago, Capella said:

Ok Bill Simmons.

1 hour ago, Aerial Assault said:

Oh?   Which is?  

Baseball is bad and it sucks. 

Just now, RUSF18 said:

Ok Bill Simmons.

Don’t get this one. He loves baseball. 

3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yanks need to stop with the prospect hugging. Garcia and Frazier for MadBum & Smith. Lets get it done!

3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

'Stros also in play for Robbie Ray.  

I wouldnt give up much for this wild thing.

Just now, shadyridr said:

I wouldnt give up much for this wild thing.

Agree.  I'd rather have Grienke if they're going that route.

Just now, TheIronSheik said:

Agree.  I'd rather have Grienke if they're going that route.

Greinke could probably be had for B level prospects but Yankees refuse to go over luxury tax threshold. I wish they got him.

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yeah same here.  I'd be more comfortable with them trading Kieboom if they had already extended Rendon but I'm getting the feeling now that they won't pay him either.  I am hoping they can use lower tier prospects to upgrade Sipp and Blazek with rentals.  I'm okay if Garcia fetches one of the better relievers like Greene.

Yeah, Morosi tweeting that Tigers still asking for Kieboom from Nats for Greene.  I'd pass on that, but Garcia would be a decent pay.  I'd rather they trade Garcia than Wil Crowe given the pitching issues.

The Pirates should be selling big but likely won't.   It doesn't really matter what this teams does as long as the ownership stays the same.

Greinke will always be my favorite Royal. Without him being a big fat cry baby about wanting to play for a winner, we would have never gotten:

Lorenzo Cain

Alcides Escobar

Jake Odorizzi, who we flipped as part of the deal to get James Shields and Wade Davis

Thank you Zack for helping the team you were dying to get away from win a World Series, while you still wait for one..... :headbang:

Giants asking the Astros for Joshua Rojas for MadBum.  Why is this trade not done?!? :confused:

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

Giants asking the Astros for Joshua Rojas for MadBum.  Why is this trade not done?!? :confused:

Because that CANT be true