What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (6 Viewers)

I've read 3 articles detailing the Greinke trade and how it all went down and it's really a fascinating story.

Astros had wanted Stroman but the Mets took him and then hoarded starters.  Then when the Astros realized the Yankees weren't making any moves, they decided to go after Greinke.  So the Mets might have hurt the Yankees chances of winning a WS this year.  I'm sure that makes the Mets happy.

I also wonder if other teams have finally caught on to how the Yankees hype machine works when it comes to their prospects. They get writers to put together over the top stories about the potential of guys who they don't think will turn into stars and try to keep their top end talent quieter. 

If I'm an opposing GM, I want the guys that Cashman is refusing to part with and have little interest in the ones that he will only begrudgingly include in deals.

I also wonder if other teams have finally caught on to how the Yankees hype machine works when it comes to their prospects. They get writers to put together over the top stories about the potential of guys who they don't think will turn into stars and try to keep their top end talent quieter. 

If I'm an opposing GM, I want the guys that Cashman is refusing to part with and have little interest in the ones that he will only begrudgingly include in deals.
i was looking at the pitcher, Deivi Garcia, that the Yanks wouldnt give up for ANYBODY. He's 5'9, 160. Gonna hafta torque himself into the ground to get the ball past major leaguers

i was looking at the pitcher, Deivi Garcia, that the Yanks wouldnt give up for ANYBODY. He's 5'9, 160. Gonna hafta torque himself into the ground to get the ball past major leaguers
We're still early in the PR cycle for him though. If they get through the offseason without moving him, we'll have a better idea of which bucket he goes into. I would've flipped my #### if he was the key piece in a Syndergaard deal.

Justus Sheffield was completely untouchable at one point too.

We're still early in the PR cycle for him though. If they get through the offseason without moving him, we'll have a better idea of which bucket he goes into. I would've flipped my #### if he was the key piece in a Syndergaard deal.

Justus Sheffield was completely untouchable at one point too.
from ESPN:

The average height of an American male is 5-foot-10, yet 14 MLB teams don't have apitcher under 6 feet tall. The Yankees have one pitcher under 6-2 and boast fivepitchers at least 6-7. The Cardinals have eight pitchers 6-4 or taller. Kansas City is the only team in baseball with five pitchers 6 feet or under
Fangraph on the subject

it would be hard for me to consider anyone under 6' even a serious prospect anymore. modern players can foul off a pitcher with no angles all day. and most players listed at 5'9 (ala Stroman) are shorter than 5'9

Tough stretch for Jonathan Lucroy.  First, he gets laid out at home by Jake Marisnick of the Astros and suffers a concussion.  He finally comes back and the Angels trade for Max Stassi of the Astros, so he gets DFA'd.  I bet he hates the Astros.

Side note: Marisnick did nothing wrong and shouldn't have been suspended.

Tough stretch for Jonathan Lucroy.  First, he gets laid out at home by Jake Marisnick of the Astros and suffers a concussion.  He finally comes back and the Angels trade for Max Stassi of the Astros, so he gets DFA'd.  I bet he hates the Astros.

Side note: Marisnick did nothing wrong and shouldn't have been suspended.
Are you sure Lucroy got DFA'd?  I think it was the other catcher on the roster.

Yup.  It was Lucroy.  

With the new rules, I'm not sure if he'd be eligible for the postseason if another team were to pick him up, though.
Not 100%, but it looks like he'd be eligible.  He could be a good pick up for a team trying to fill a spot.  I'm looking at you, Phillies.

Not 100%, but it looks like he'd be eligible.  He could be a good pick up for a team trying to fill a spot.  I'm looking at you, Phillies.
Players have to be on a team's 40-man roster by Aug 31 to be eligible for post-season.   Lucroy could be claimed on waivers or signed after passing through waivers.  The Anaheims would get no compensation in either case, although the the former option would provide some payroll relief.

Philly loves Cole Hamels.  And Cole loves Philly.  

I thought it was awesome seeing Cole Hamels wearing the DPM patch on his Cubs uniform while pitching at the Bank last night.  It was a shame he got rocked (although, we needed it), but mad respect for that guy.

It's funny how Philly gets such a bad name as far as fans, but the players who play here love this city and the people in it.  

If anyone is still curious what kind of pitcher Zack Wheeler is, today's start is his career in a nutshell.

Teams are pretty much set, minus which wild card spot they occupy.  

How much of a collapse is this for the Cubs?  The NL Central was kind of crappy all year, so it wasn't like they dominated than crashed and burned.  But to fall from division leader to out of the playoffs in a month is still a little crash and burn.  

Excited for these games.  Much like last year, I feel any team that makes the postseason has a legitimate chance to win the whole thing.  Except last year, the Red Sox just seemed slightly better than everyone else.  This year, I don't think there's "one" dominant team.  

As for the Giants and Mets, I'm wondering if they now regret not trading Madbum and Wheeler?

After all the jockeying between the NL wild card contenders and pretenders over the past six weeks, the race for the AL wild card looks like it's going to be tighter down the stretch.  The same three teams have been battling it out for two AL slots since the All-Star break.

As for Bum, there will be teams in October who'll wish they traded for him in July.

I have to say that it’s been a fun ride with my Mets this year. While the Bullpen was excruciating to watch (Outside of Lugo, who basically stepped up and put the rest of them on his back), there were so many unexpected players step up and start to shine. Hard to believe that Alonso and Mcneil didn’t make the team until the day before the regular season opener. 

This is the first year that I’ve been fully into MLB for a while (bought the mlb package, watched and listened to a ton of games). I have no team to root for, but looking forward to the post season.

Eephus said:
After all the jockeying between the NL wild card contenders and pretenders over the past six weeks, the race for the AL wild card looks like it's going to be tighter down the stretch.  The same three teams have been battling it out for two AL slots since the All-Star break.

As for Bum, there will be teams in October who'll wish they traded for him in July.
It is amazing that the past 2 weeks have been filled with articles talking about all of the fun tiebreaker scenarios we could see for the NL and with a week left, it's pretty much over.  Cubs and Mets both have an elimination number of 1.

Dodgers fan and again the bullpen will be the difference. Offense could compensate if they can stay hot for extended periods. 

Putting some coin on the Astros to win it all.  Nothing sexy about it and the return won't help me retire, but that team is loaded, experienced and difficult to discern any flaws. 

Dodgers fan and again the bullpen will be the difference. Offense could compensate if they can stay hot for extended periods. 
As a fan of the team, do you think this team is better than the last two seasons?  Not meant to be a pointed question or take a dig at all.  Serious question.  I don't get to see much of the Dodgers play since they are Pacific Time, so I can't say I know.  Just seems like the team isn't much different than the past seasons.  Of course, nothing incredibly wrong with that, since they were dominating but just wondered what a fan of the team thought.

Putting some coin on the Astros to win it all.  Nothing sexy about it and the return won't help me retire, but that team is loaded, experienced and difficult to discern any flaws. 
While I agree with your assessment, baseball and hockey seem to be crap shoots once the playoffs start.  Good luck.  As an Astros fan, I hope you win your bet.

While I agree with your assessment, baseball and hockey seem to be crap shoots once the playoffs start.  Good luck.  As an Astros fan, I hope you win your bet.
I don't think so, not with Verlander and Cole taking the mound.  Is there another playoff team that has anything close to the 1-2 punch of those guys?   I mean....that's 600 strikeouts between two dudes.  That's incredible.  

Then looking at their offense, they lead MLB in Avg, OBP, Slugging, OPS....and in some categories, like OBP, they lead by a LOT.

Okay, how's their bullpen?  Well, Osuna has been filthy for the most part with 0.88 WHIP and he's got a lot of help too.  

I think they win it all and Yuli is the MVP.

As a fan of the team, do you think this team is better than the last two seasons?  Not meant to be a pointed question or take a dig at all.  Serious question.  I don't get to see much of the Dodgers play since they are Pacific Time, so I can't say I know.  Just seems like the team isn't much different than the past seasons.  Of course, nothing incredibly wrong with that, since they were dominating but just wondered what a fan of the team thought.
They are better offensively but that is so streaky. If they get hot for 12-16 games they could World Champs. 

I don't think so, not with Verlander and Cole taking the mound.  Is there another playoff team that has anything close to the 1-2 punch of those guys?   I mean....that's 600 strikeouts between two dudes.  That's incredible.  

Then looking at their offense, they lead MLB in Avg, OBP, Slugging, OPS....and in some categories, like OBP, they lead by a LOT.

Okay, how's their bullpen?  Well, Osuna has been filthy for the most part with 0.88 WHIP and he's got a lot of help too.  

I think they win it all and Yuli is the MVP.
I remember thinking the same thing when the Phillies had 5 stud pitchers.  

I don't remember their offense being anywhere near as good as the one Houston is rolling out.  
It wasn't a bad team.

C Carlos Ruiz 

1B Ryan Howard 

2B Chase Utley 

3B Placido Polanco 

SS Jimmy Rollins 

OF Raul Ibanez

OF Shane Victorino

OF Hunter Pence

And they had a run diff. of +184.

It wasn't a bad team.

C Carlos Ruiz

1B Ryan Howard 

2B Chase Utley 

3B Placido Polanco 

SS Jimmy Rollins 

OF Raul Ibanez

OF Shane Victorino

OF Hunter Pence

And they had a run diff. of +184.
2011 Phillies

OBP .323
AVG .253
SLG .395
OPS .717
HR 153
RBI 693

2019 Astros

OBP .353
AVG .275
SLG .469
OPS  .850
HR 278
RBI 867

That's significantly better.

2011 Phillies

OBP .323
AVG .253
SLG .395
OPS .717
HR 153
RBI 693

2019 Astros

OBP .353
AVG .275
SLG .469
OPS  .850
HR 278
RBI 867

That's significantly better.

They are better.  I never said they weren't.  But the ball is "juiced" this year, so inflated numbers don't really mean that much comparing two different seasons.

But my point still stands:  Great teams in baseball don't always win the World Series.  

Brewers have been amazing in September most of which without their best player and closer, who's been out all year.  Counsel has done a fantastic job managing this year.
They remind me of the 2007 Colorado Rockies.  Getting hot at just the right time.  Rocks cooled off during the WS, unfortunately for them.  But the Brewers are definitely a scary team to face right now.

I would rather take my chances with 5 stud pitchers. 
Sure.  So would I.  I'm just saying that 5 stud pitchers doesn't guarantee anything.  Just like a +300 run differential doesn't guarantee you anything.  Slumps pop up in baseball and if one hits during the postseason, all the stats get flushed down the toilet.

They remind me of the 2007 Colorado Rockies.  Getting hot at just the right time.  Rocks cooled off during the WS, unfortunately for them.  But the Brewers are definitely a scary team to face right now.
I’d feel much better if they had Yelich.  Regardless of what happens from here on out I’m happy with how the season turned out especially where they were sitting a month ago.

I’d feel much better if they had Yelich.  Regardless of what happens from here on out I’m happy with how the season turned out especially where they were sitting a month ago.
Understandable.  But if I can give you any hope, just think of the Eagles when Carson Wentz went down.  And everyone counted them out.  I think baseball is a sport where a player can go down and it not affect the team too much in the short term.  Now, if he's out the whole year, probably not great.  But if you lose him for just the playoffs?  Well.  Not great, not terrible.

Hell, I think the Brewers might actually win the division.  Cubs are going to want revenge on the red birds and the Brewers play against the Rockies who are just ready to go play some golf.

All my ‘Stros need to do is win one more and they’ve locked home field throughout the playoffs (I think). Greinke 2 outs from the teams 3rd no hitter of the year last night. Could sweep all post season awards if Bregman can squeak by Trout for MVP. 

Yes, these guys are good. Like ‘27 Yankee good. If they can’t win it all it’ll be a big let down for me.

Football is totally dead to me right now and I’m enjoying this ride, Shiek. 

All my ‘Stros need to do is win one more and they’ve locked home field throughout the playoffs (I think). Greinke 2 outs from the teams 3rd no hitter of the year last night. Could sweep all post season awards if Bregman can squeak by Trout for MVP. 

Yes, these guys are good. Like ‘27 Yankee good. If they can’t win it all it’ll be a big let down for me.

Football is totally dead to me right now and I’m enjoying this ride, Shiek. 
I'll definitely be disappointed, but it's been an awesome season.  I love that the Astros make the moves and play hard while having fun.  If they lose, it won't be because they didn't try.  And I give them credit for that.  I love this team from top to bottom.  But my heart's been broken so many times in sports, I'll go into this postseason knowing that being the best in the regular season doesn't mean anything come October.

I'll definitely be disappointed, but it's been an awesome season.  I love that the Astros make the moves and play hard while having fun.  If they lose, it won't be because they didn't try.  And I give them credit for that.  I love this team from top to bottom.  But my heart's been broken so many times in sports, I'll go into this postseason knowing that being the best in the regular season doesn't mean anything come October.
Yes. I gave some Mariners fans some smack on Twitter yesterday about their record season and then they didn’t even advance to the WS. 

They seem to talk a lot for a franchise that never won anything. 

Its unbelievable and incredibly awesome the Cubs have lost 8 straight games, with *that roster* and their season on the line.  Historic collapse. The goat is back.

Hell, I think the Brewers might actually win the division.  Cubs are going to want revenge on the red birds and the Brewers play against the Rockies who are just ready to go play some golf.
Nah, they're checked out. Bryant and Baez have already been shut down. Kudos to Rizzo if he says eff it I'm playing, but I think he's next. For their sake hopefully Kimbrel tells them he's done. Since Darvish had a forearm thing earlier this month they should probably just him down too. Probably more.

Nah, they're checked out. Bryant and Baez have already been shut down. Kudos to Rizzo if he says eff it I'm playing, but I think he's next. For their sake hopefully Kimbrel tells them he's done. Since Darvish had a forearm thing earlier this month they should probably just him down too. Probably more.
Even with all of that, I still think the Cubs play the Cards tough.  Tougher than the Rockies will play the Brewers.  JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread