What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (4 Viewers)

Boras trick #1 
Yeah, and Heyman has become an industry joke at this point. He parrots whatever Boras tells him and then Boras agrees to give him the scoop when something actually does happen.

Although it wouldn't totally shock me to hear the Phils were at least submitting an offer. There have been rumblings that they may be willing to go over the cap.

You gotta love ESPN with their BREAKING NEWS:  Yankees offer Cole more than what Strasburg got.

Umm... Ok.  Unless you have specifics, this means nothing.  We all pretty much knew that already.

The Giants also traded for the remains of Zack Cozart.  They're taking on his entire 2020 salary of $12.7M but are getting SS prospect Will Wilson for their troubles.  Wilson went 1.15 in the most recent amateur draft.  San Francisco will send cash and/or a PTBNL.

The Anaheims free up money to spend on free agents.  The Giants get a mystery box of a former All-Star and an interesting future piece in Wilson.  If Cozart is healthy, he could be a decent spare IF who can spell the equally washed Brandon Crawford vs. LHP.

The money is incredible and 9 years seems nuts. But they've got a window to win before they have to start REALLY paying all the hitters, and they got severino (and Paxton) at a discount, so here we are.

Lots of pressure on Boone now. No more excuses

The money is incredible and 9 years seems nuts. But they've got a window to win before they have to start REALLY paying all the hitters, and they got severino (and Paxton) at a discount, so here we are.

Lots of pressure on Boone now. No more excuses
There’s no possible way this contract doesn’t end up being an awful deal even for the Yankees. It’s basically over $1M per start.

There’s no possible way this contract doesn’t end up being an awful deal even for the Yankees. It’s basically over $1M per start.
The crazy thing is they're really only paying him for the (hopefully) 5-7 starts he'd make during a world series run. I mean, they just won 103 without him.(while suffering a historic number of injuries and not having severino for basically the entire season)

You're also paying for him NOT to pitch for the Astros, which also carries huge value.

But you're absolutely right, this thing will almost certainly be an albatross 6 years for now. But if they win multiple titles, they won't care. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yankees payroll has mostly stagnated over the last decade while revenues have essentially doubled. The contract might be pitched as an albatross 6-7 years from now, but they will certainly be able to afford it. Especially if they enhance the franchise value with more titles, and considering what $36 million will mean 6-7 years from now

The Yankees payroll has mostly stagnated over the last decade while revenues have essentially doubled. The contract might be pitched as an albatross 6-7 years from now, but they will certainly be able to afford it. Especially if they enhance the franchise value with more titles, and considering what $36 million will mean 6-7 years from now
I didn’t mean to suggest the Yankees as an organization can’t afford it, actually I probably think every team probably could afford it. But under the current structure, I believe I read they’re $40M over the threshold which leads to pick placement and other penalties. 

Of course we might be locked in out 2-3 years and everything changes. Kudos to them for going for it. 

I didn’t mean to suggest the Yankees as an organization can’t afford it, actually I probably think every team probably could afford it. But under the current structure, I believe I read they’re $40M over the threshold which leads to pick placement and other penalties. 

Of course we might be locked in out 2-3 years and everything changes. Kudos to them for going for it. 
They're trying to trade Happ and both Tanaka and Paxton are FA at year end. I think they'd like to be under the threshold but were willing to go over it for only one player and that was Cole. 

I don't think they're 40m over the highest threshold which is 248m.

The Stanton contract is an albatross. 

Cole right now and probably projecting out the next 4-5 years is the best starting pitcher on planet earth. So the best on the planet get’s paid what the market dictates.

And who is to say he can’t be great for the rest of his career give or take a year or two. This is what it takes to grab a #1 stud starter in todays MLB. They are the rarest of baseball commodities not named Mike Trout. 750 guys play in The Show......750. That’s it. 

If the Yankees can somehow rid themselves of that Stanton contract all will be right. That was an awful move and I hated it from day one. He is a guy who simply can’t stay healthy......ever.

Look at how some of the greatest pitchers in MLB history have done late in their careers.....like Cole’s former teammate Justin Verlander. And Cole has better stuff IMO than Verlander. 

As a Yankees fan.....this is joyous morning. Our rotation and bullpen.....top notch. We are gunning for multiple titles here over the next 2-3 years. If we get one, two it was all worth it.  

Strange that a deal that big has an opt out after 5 years.  

Congrats to the Yanks.  If nothing else, Cole is a great guy.  Sad to see him go in that sense.  But so glad the Astros didn't waste money on him.

I see they are shopping Correa.  As I said yesterday, they have to figure out a way to shed money if they want to keep the core.  Apparently they are still looking for a 3rd starter and they want money to do that.  With Springer coming up soon, it sounds like it's either Correa or Springer.  And while I love them both, Springer is the obvious choice here.  

Congrats to the Yanks.  If nothing else, Cole is a great guy.  Sad to see him go in that sense.  But so glad the Astros didn't waste money on him.

I see they are shopping Correa.  As I said yesterday, they have to figure out a way to shed money if they want to keep the core.  Apparently they are still looking for a 3rd starter and they want money to do that.  With Springer coming up soon, it sounds like it's either Correa or Springer.  And while I love them both, Springer is the obvious choice here.  
No. You trade Correa so you can extend Springer. I love Correa and it pains me to say that. He just seems to be a bit of a head case that can’t stay healthy for a full year. Unreal talent though. 

A lot of chatter on Twitter about Luis Castillo of the Reds. 

No. You trade Correa so you can extend Springer. I love Correa and it pains me to say that. He just seems to be a bit of a head case that can’t stay healthy for a full year. Unreal talent though. 

Sadly, because of his injuries, his trade value is probably at an all time low right now.  

Reds would be dumb to trade Castillo for Correa

The Stanton contract is an albatross. 

Cole right now and probably projecting out the next 4-5 years is the best starting pitcher on planet earth. So the best on the planet get’s paid what the market dictates.

And who is to say he can’t be great for the rest of his career give or take a year or two. This is what it takes to grab a #1 stud starter in todays MLB. They are the rarest of baseball commodities not named Mike Trout. 750 guys play in The Show......750. That’s it. 

If the Yankees can somehow rid themselves of that Stanton contract all will be right. That was an awful move and I hated it from day one. He is a guy who simply can’t stay healthy......ever.

Look at how some of the greatest pitchers in MLB history have done late in their careers.....like Cole’s former teammate Justin Verlander. And Cole has better stuff IMO that Verlander. 

As a Yankees fan.....this is joyous morning. Our rotation and bullpen.....top notch. We are gunning for multiple titles here over the next 2-3 years. If we get one, two it was all worth it.  
Love the Cole signing. Expensive but I don’t pay the bills. The Stanton contract reminds me of signing Giambi. It was a hopeful contract not a smart one. At least $49M of tied up salary in Ellsbury and Tanaka is gone after 2020. Stanton though, maybe he has a good 2020 and opts out. I doubt he would unless he’s just not happy. He’s made a lot of money already so maybe, but probably not. Dumb deal with all the marquee FAs that we’re about to be available. Oh well, not my money.

Can't stand the Yankees, but undoubtedly this was a move they had to make.  There are only a handful of premier, in their prime pitchers in the league that ever come available and when you do, you have to put your best foot forward.  Window is going to be really tight though for the Yankees.  I think they'll certainly fall pretty soon into the salary cap hell that the Red Sox are in now, but hey, you have to pay your dues to win championships.  Cole also has the smooth delivery that could suit him well to pitch great into his middle 30's at least.  

all that said, that's a whole lotta chedder to one player, when you already have a behemoth contract out there to Stanton and they are going to have to pay huge money to keep Judge around long term too.  

As far as the Astros go, big loss, but I mean, they still are trotting out a solid 1-2, and they do have a ton of arms (and maybe one day this Whitley kid can turn into something).  And I like Springer, but I mean, he's a 30 year old corner outfielder.  He's a very good player but also very easily replaceable, imho.  Correa is 5 years younger, plays a great defensive SS and has the physical abilities of a premier offensive player as well.  He has been injury prone yes, but I think my bigger issue with him is he needs a good serving of humble pie.  He thinks he's the next Arod and deserves to get paid as such.  I'd still probably try to keep him over Springer though as the Astros have a lot more OF options in their system and truth be told, there are always very good FA outfielders available.  

If he throws 100 pitches  a start hes making >10k per pitch.  Not a bad gig.
I know its fun to say these type of things but I never understood this line of thinking. Its not like they show up to the ballpark, pitch, and then go home. There's offseason preparation, in season training, bullpen sessions, studying game film. These guys are at the ballpark or gym for a lot longer than 3 hours of the game. Still pretty cool to earn that much money to train and play a game but it is what it is.

I know its fun to say these type of things but I never understood this line of thinking. Its not like they show up to the ballpark, pitch, and then go home. There's offseason preparation, in season training, bullpen sessions, studying game film. These guys are at the ballpark or gym for a lot longer than 3 hours of the game. Still pretty cool to earn that much money to train and play a game but it is what it is.
:goodposting:

The real problem is that Gleyber Torres will only make about $600,000 next season. That's dumb and bad.

My dad is a huge Yankees fan.  He cracks me up.  He's been complaining since they got beat in the ALCS that the Yankees won't spend the money to go after Cole.  I have hundreds of texts from him where he's telling me that George would've done anything and paid any amount to get Cole and that the new Yankees are a joke because they won't pay the big bucks anymore.

Fast forward to today.  I text him to congratulate him on his Yanks getting Cole.  His reply back was, "I can't believe they just wasted all of that money on one pitcher."  :lol:  

First big free agent hoopla I can remember was Dave Winfield. Just looked up what his contract was. 10 years for 23 million. 

Maybe that should go in the getting old thread. 

First big free agent hoopla I can remember was Dave Winfield. Just looked up what his contract was. 10 years for 23 million. 

Right.  Or how about Rick Monday being the first player ever taken in the modern day draft.  How is that possible?  I watched that guy pitch in person?  

Right.  Or how about Rick Monday being the first player ever taken in the modern day draft.  How is that possible?  I watched that guy pitch in person?  
I remember Monday playing a bit towards the end of his career and have seen a video of him saving the flag in the outfield. 

I think you have a few years on me, Sheik. 

Every big FA signing makes me think back on the cover of 1968 baseball annual edition of SI - it was a team picture of the World Champion St Louis Cardinals with the caption "MILLION DOLLAR TEAM".

happ and ellsbury are a wash for cole’s money.  but this kind of deal means guys like didi go.  the window is 3-5 year while guys like gleyber, judge, sanchez don’t get paid big.  paxton and tanaka-san will be interesting calls going forward, but yanks gonna yanks.  just wonder how much tickets are gonna be going forward.  told my buddy that cole is no jake marisnick.  

I remember Monday playing a bit towards the end of his career and have seen a video of him saving the flag in the outfield. 

I think you have a few years on me, Sheik. 
:lol:   

I'm coming up on the old 46.  He played into 1984.  My family knew Mike Piazza's family so we went to a lot of Dodgers-Phillies games.  Mike would be the Dodgers batboy at these games.  My brother and I were at a game and we were asking all of the Dodgers for baseballs and autographs.  Again, we were in early because of Mike.  But they kept refusing because we had Phillies gear on.  Finally, one guy walked by and offered to sign a ball.  He asked if my brother wanted anything written on it.  My brother said, "Sign it 'To (Sheik's brother), the guy who taught me everything.'"  And without missing a beat, the guy signed it that way.  To this day, that ball is still sitting on my brother's mantle.

To (Sheik's brother), the guy who taught me everything.

Bob Welch  

Also, I said "pitched" when talking about Monday.  I meant 'play'.  Got pitching on the mind with the Cole signing.

:lol:   

I'm coming up on the old 46.  He played into 1984.  My family knew Mike Piazza's family so we went to a lot of Dodgers-Phillies games.  Mike would be the Dodgers batboy at these games.  My brother and I were at a game and we were asking all of the Dodgers for baseballs and autographs.  Again, we were in early because of Mike.  But they kept refusing because we had Phillies gear on.  Finally, one guy walked by and offered to sign a ball.  He asked if my brother wanted anything written on it.  My brother said, "Sign it 'To (Sheik's brother), the guy who taught me everything.'"  And without missing a beat, the guy signed it that way.  To this day, that ball is still sitting on my brother's mantle.

To (Sheik's brother), the guy who taught me everything.

Bob Welch  

Also, I said "pitched" when talking about Monday.  I meant 'play'.  Got pitching on the mind with the Cole signing.
Okay. I thought you meant you could remember him being drafted. I’m a year older than you fml. 

Between Bob Welch and Steve Howe there was some bad luck later in life from some of those early 80s Dodgers guys. 

Opt outs should go both ways.   After 5 years the player or the team should be able to opt out or stay put.

Opt outs should go both ways.   After 5 years the player or the team should be able to opt out or stay put.
They can go both ways. Either the Yanks didn’t push for their own opt out or Cole wouldn’t agree to one. Why should it be required?

Users who are viewing this thread