Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2019 MLB Off Season - Winter Meetings

33 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

0-7 in World Series starts.   Very puzzling and Kershawish.  JV did not look confidant at all last 2 outings.

One thing that drives me crazy about Verlander is when he gets up 0-2, he throws that big curve that is nowhere near the zone that the hitter lays off on instead of putting the guy away.  Then next thing you know it is 3-2 and he walks the guy.  Did it twice in a row yesterday with 2 outs and added about 20 pitches to his count.

This doesn't work when you are dealing with patient hitters that are seeing a guy twice in one week and have already seen this pitch.  It works well in the regular season against most hitters that are in the midst of a long season.  Pitching in the playoffs is difference because everything is amplified and tendencies are researched 100% more than in the regular season.  You need to change your tendencies as well.  In addition, he needed to make pitches that gave a look that it might be a strike....not a complete miss than you could tell from his hand wasn't going to be a strike.  Some if it is poor execution as well.  The pitch might not be the wrong pitch but the execution was not ideal. 

15 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Honestly after reading the rule and watching the replay it seems insane to me that anyone could argue it was a bad call.  It was called exactly as the rule is written.  If you don't want to get called for interference then don't run outside the lane.  If you want to shave a quarter step off your run down the first base line by running outside the lane then you are risking getting called for interference if it looks like you may have gotten in the way.  He took the risk and lost.

This becomes irrelevant once you have a rule that has a large variance in how and when it is called. 

It would be like arguing that by the letter of the law 37 miles an hour is speeding. Sure you are right. But you are also wrong. 

Edited by parasaurolophus

23 hours ago, Todem said:

If anyone here has played/coached (I have done both) baseball at a high level high school and beyond I dare to say you would hate to see robots calling games.

I was a "high level pitcher" and I would've loved a robo ump.  Nothing more upsetting then throwing a perfect pitch that has been called a strike all game only for it to be called a ball on a 3-2 count.

8 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I was a "high level pitcher" and I would've loved a robo ump.  Nothing more upsetting then throwing a perfect pitch that has been called a strike all game only for it to be called a ball on a 3-2 count.

Yeah that is frustrating. But screw robo umps man. 

16 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

This becomes irrelevant once you have a rule that has a large variance in how and when it is called. 

It would be like arguing that by the letter of the law 37 miles an hour is speeding. Sure you are right. But you are also wrong. 

This gets called a lot more often than someone going 37 in a 35 gets pulled over for speeding.

What percentage of the time do you think someone who is running outside the basepath and knocks the fielder's glove off gets called for runner interference?

It's probably more akin to going 45 in a 35.  Sometimes you get pulled over for it, sometimes you don't.  But you can't really complain when you do get pulled over for it because you knew you were breaking the rule and there was a decent chance you might end up with a ticket.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Not sure I agree with that. "High level pitchers" are more likely to get calls from umps than some no-name.

All for robo umps.  It could be like Family Feud back there  X X X

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

I want to hear more about The Sheik’s pitching career. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, E-Z Glider said:

Not sure I agree with that. "High level pitchers" are more likely to get calls from umps than some no-name.

For the purpose of this argument, "high level pitcher" was just meant to say someone who played high school or beyond.  I played into college.  And I've gone on record here many times saying I was not very good when compared to other pitchers on my team or at the college level.  I didn't mean for it to come off as me saying I was a great pitcher, by any means.

10 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

For the purpose of this argument, "high level pitcher" was just meant to say someone who played high school or beyond.  I played into college.  And I've gone on record here many times saying I was not very good when compared to other pitchers on my team or at the college level.  I didn't mean for it to come off as me saying I was a great pitcher, by any means.

Dangit.

This follow up post eliminated my shtick answer of you being a high-quality slow pitch softball pitcher.

Opportunity lost....

11 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

What would you say that your fastball came in at in mph?

You, of all people should be preaching the importance of pitching!

29 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I thought it was a horrible call at first.  Then after reading the rule and watching the replay, then seeing the home plate umpire in perfect position even though it was rare the call was correct.

Just now, NREC34 said:

I pitched and played OF in HS.   I thought I was a flame thrower but in reality I was only hitting 84-85 with my best fastball.  That is pretty good for HS but a scout won`t even look at anyone unless they are in the low 90s.  I don`t think people realize how hard it is to add MPH to a fastball. Plus toss in the fact I could not throw strikes with my curve and I was a one trick pony. I am left handed and I beaned many a left handed batter with a curve that did not break.

I once read a quote "Great pitchers are born not made"  Should be great "fastball" pitchers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

lol.... that's not what I was insinuating at all.... comment had nothing to do with you.... I meant that the truly "high-level" pitchers in MLB with proven track records of control are more likely to get beneficial calls. Glavine/Smoltz/Maddux made a living at it. They would get calls that no other pitchers would get. Works the same way for batters. A guy known to have a "great eye" (like Miggy) is less likely to get rung up on a close pitch than some schlep. A robo ump would ensure everyone is on the exact same level and I would think that would upset the "high level pitchers".

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I pitched and played OF in HS.   I thought I was a flame thrower but in reality I was only hitting 84-85 with my best fastball.  That is pretty good for HS but a scout won`t even look at anyone unless they are in the low 90s.  I don`t think people realize how hard it is to add MPH to a fastball. Plus toss in the fact I could not throw strikes with my curve and I was a one trick pony. I am left handed and I beaned many a left handed batter with a curve that did not break.

I once read a quote "Great pitchers are born not made"  Should be great "fastball" pitchers.

I pitched in LL and a little after that. Went to one of those radar things they had set up in the ballpark last year in Cleveland. The hardest I could muster  with all my strength and not even a legal windup was 61, I think. 84-85 is really way better than most could do, but yeah, not good enough to play in the show. 

6 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I pitched in LL and a little after that. Went to one of those radar things they had set up in the ballpark last year in Cleveland. The hardest I could muster  with all my strength and not even a legal windup was 61, I think. 84-85 is really way better than most could do, but yeah, not good enough to play in the show. 

Man I remember facing a guy as a fresman in HS that could hit upper 80's and I was like why am I even bothering to stand here and flail my bat out at the ball.

I still consider it the greatest accomplishment of my lousy HS career that I actually connected and hit a soft pop out to 2nd against that guy.

ETA: It didn't help that a teammate was beaned in the face by that guy and broke multiple bones in his face, which was incidentally the start of my career as a catcher since I was his backup.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I made a DI team as a walk on and was terrible.  I bunted a ball off my face during batting practice and before the season started, I threw out my already fragile arm.  I had an option to have surgery on it to fix it, but since I knew I was not going to go any further in my career, I elected to retire from the sport.  After about a decade, I started going out and playing in softball leagues for fun as a replacement.  I'd play the outfield and wow people with throws from the center field fence to home plate to nail a runner testing my arm.  Of course, that would usually be the end of me throwing for the season.  

I've stated before that I was one of the best on my team at every age I played.  In HS, I was one of the 2 best pitchers on my team.  The two of us dominated other teams.  I was the fastest guy on my team.  I threw the hardest and most accurate.  I was all around great.  When I walked onto the college team, I had high hopes.  After the first practice, I realized that everyone on that field was the best player in their HS.  And we we're not even on a good DI team.  I was the slowest guy on the team and I threw the slowest out of all of the pitchers.  My saving graces were that I had great control and I threw 3/4, side arm and submarine.  And I was equally good with each angle.  I also had a screwball which (at the time) caused havoc with lefties.

Again, all in all, I sucked.  The only reason I made the team was because they ended up not cutting any pitchers except for two guys who looked like they thought they were trying out for intramural baseball.  And that's my story.  :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Yup.  I'd also add that there are people out there who can throw in the 90's but can't throw a second pitch that comes out of their hand looking like a fastball.  If you can throw 100mph, but your curve looks different coming out of your hand, that 100mph fastball is just going to leave the yard quicker when they crank it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

At my best, I was probably mid to just over mid 80's.  Seeing the other guys throwing in the 90's felt like they were throwing 80mph faster than me.  Again, my control and deception made up for my lack of speed.  Although, once in college, neither of those things could have kept me from getting shelled routinely.  I would have been great for a batter or two.  But that's about it.

42 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

AA Little League All-Star for the Astros

14 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I was mid 60s too. Pretty embarassed to see that R.A. Dickey's knuckleball got up into the 70s and that mofo was just floating.  :wall:

• Laughing 1

I will say, going into tonight's Game 7, there's a different feel than 2 years ago.  In 2017, I felt like it had to happen or my soul would be crushed.  When they won, it was an amazing feeling.  And a couple of months later, I got to see my Eagles win the SB.  I got to take my daughter to the parade in Philly and that was a great memory.  

Sure, I still want Houston to win tonight, but I don't NEED them to win, if that makes sense.  I used to feel like there were empty spots in my heart without the Eagles, Astros and Phillies winning.  But I've seen them all now.  And I've been able to share them with my family.  

I have a beautiful wife, a wonderful daughter, an amazing family...  It's just weird to me.  I remember 2 years ago, the day of Game 7 being so nervous and trying to think about how I'd handle a loss.  It consumed me.  But today, it's not that big of a deal.  Again, I want them to win.  I really hope they do.  But if they don't, tomorrow will just be a normal day.  And 2 years ago, I know that wouldn't have been the case.  

I actually started getting sick yesterday, so when I get home from work tonight, I'll probably end up just going to bed.  I think I've finally realized that while sports are great and I love them, I no longer have to let them consume me.  Get upset by them or feel depressed by them.  It's a freeing realization.  I feel like I've unlocked a level I've been trying to beat for decades.  :lol:

Go 'Stros!

27 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I was at Comerica Park in Detroit where they had the radar set up. You get 5 pitches for a couple bucks.  I was watching guys throw and they were in the 50s and 60s.  I thought I am pretty sure I can hit 80.    First pitch was 67, topped out at 71.  Getting old..

Edited by Da Guru

10 minutes ago, falguy said:

I was mid 60s too. Pretty embarassed to see that R.A. Dickey's knuckleball got up into the 70s and that mofo was just floating.  :wall:

It's even more soul crushing when you see those guys throwing BP and it looks like they're barely chucking them in and they're registering low to mid 80's.

42 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

At my best, I was probably mid to just over mid 80's.  Seeing the other guys throwing in the 90's felt like they were throwing 80mph faster than me.  Again, my control and deception made up for my lack of speed.  Although, once in college, neither of those things could have kept me from getting shelled routinely.  I would have been great for a batter or two.  But that's about it.

Sounds kind of like Maddux. 

4 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Sounds kind of like Maddux. 

I used to say that, albeit jokingly.  Again, I could pitch against a guy in practice and fool him the first at bat.  But after the second or third time, I was just throwing them BP.  It was a huge reality check.

6 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

I wouldn't rule out Stras or Verlander either.

I'd rule out Verlander.  He's been average at best this series.  

6 hours ago, BLUE BOMBER said:

Early indications from Vegas showing that more money is coming in on the Nationals than the Astros. Whether this is sharp money or public money, I am not sure.

5 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Scherzer is truly the key to me. 

If he is totally healthy he could shut the Astros down. If not and they tee off him it could get ugly. 

I don't gamble because to me it's a losing proposition but if I did bet this is a game I would just pass on - nobody knows how healthy he is.  Dude could go out there and try to gut it out and pitch a gem, get shelled in the 1st or throw 3 pitches and has to come out.  Seems like a fool's errand to guess some guy's health.

• Like 1

Just now, Major said:

I'd rule out Verlander.  He's been average at best this series.  

Yeah, that's true.  And Astros have more bullpen to pull from than the Nats, so less of a need for him.

If Strasburg's arm isn't Jell-O today, I would not hate going to him like D'Backs did with Randy Johnson in 2001.

They’re saying on Houston talk radio that this will be the first ever matchup of 2 Cy Young winners in a WS. 

Seems like that should’ve happened before. How in the world has Strasburg not won one?

30 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

We've got game 7 of the World Series in a few hours and this had devolved into some glory days conversation.  Neat.

If coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions.  How much you wanna bet I can throw a football clear over dem mountains?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was in HS I could throw a football over that mountain. 

1 minute ago, Jayrok said:

I hit 50% of my half court shots in HS.

Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

I hit 50% of my half court shots in HS.

And they were fade aways, amirite?

1 minute ago, Jayrok said:

And they were fade aways, amirite?

called bank on everyone 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

We've got game 7 of the World Series in a few hours and this had devolved into some glory days conversation.  Neat.

I've got an Astros WS ticket at +200.  Nothing huge - $166 to win $322.  Hedging out kinda seems like a wussy move, but I'm not sold on the Astros right now.  What should I do?

14 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

They’re saying on Houston talk radio that this will be the first ever matchup of 2 Cy Young winners in a WS. 

Seems like that should’ve happened before. How in the world has Strasburg not won one?

Injuries, mostly.  He's topped 200 innings only twice.  200 Ks thrice.  He finished 3rd in 2017, behind Scherzer and Kershaw.  Scherzer topped him in ERA, WHIP, Ks, Innings and the dumbest metric considered, wins.  His competition in the NL has been fierce.  

All that said, he should win it this year.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I've got an Astros WS ticket at +200.  Nothing huge - $166 to win $322.  Hedging out kinda seems like a wussy move, but I'm not sold on the Astros right now.  What should I do?

I had $20 to win $280 on the Nats at the start of the playoffs. I hedged $70 to win $40 on the Astros after they went up 3-1 on the Yankees because I thought they were gonna steamroll the Nats. No idea what to think about this game tonight, but I sure hope the Nats win. :banned:

35 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Ya, but How far can to toss a Ritz?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

First ever in a game 7. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, falguy said:

Ya, but How far can to toss a Ritz?

100 yards. Minimum. 

• Like 1

Guys on the radio just summed up that interference call pretty well, i think. 

Basically said it is a bad rule that is selectively enforced and pretty much only comes into play when there is a bad throw.

ETA: but all three agreed by letter of the law it was called correctly. 

Edited by parasaurolophus
  • Like 1

I had a friend was a big baseball player
Back in high school
He could throw that speedball by you
Make you look like a fool boy

6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Guys on the radio just summed up that interference call pretty well, i think. 

Basically said it is a bad rule that is selectively enforced and pretty much only comes into play when there is a bad throw.

ETA: but all three agreed by letter of the law it was called correctly. 

I thought Fangraphs posted a pretty detailed account of the rule this afternoon too.  Kind of interesting that Joe Torre was on the losing argument of a non-interference call in similar circumstances involving Travis Fryman -- report there said, "The Yankees blamed Hendry for not calling Fryman out for interference, but Jim Evans, the crew chief, explained that no matter what Fryman’s path to first was, the ball hit him as he stepped on or was about to step on the base and he was entitled to be in fair territory when he reached the base because the base was in fair territory."  Maybe Torre telling umps to call it in that situation now?

AJ Hinch said today that he sided with Turner.

2 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Yeah, that's true.  And Astros have more bullpen to pull from than the Nats, so less of a need for him.

If Strasburg's arm isn't Jell-O today, I would not hate going to him like D'Backs did with Randy Johnson in 2001.

With how conservative the Nationals have been with Starsburg over the years there is no way in hell they are bringing him back today after throwing 100+ pitches yesterday.  if there was a couple days in between then maybe....but no way he is available today after throwing that much yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, Gally said:

With how conservative the Nationals have been with Starsburg over the years there is no way in hell they are bringing him back today after throwing 100+ pitches yesterday.  if there was a couple days in between then maybe....but no way he is available today after throwing that much yesterday. 

Still TBD...

Chelsea Janes @chelsea_janes
Davey said he’s going to ask Strasburg if he thinks he can pitch tonight.
5:33 PM · Oct 30, 2019

29 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Still TBD...

Chelsea Janes @chelsea_janes
Davey said he’s going to ask Strasburg if he thinks he can pitch tonight.
5:33 PM · Oct 30, 2019

It would be a big mistake.  (See Kershaw).  He did his job helping the bullpen yesterday by going 8+ innings...

Bringing in starters to relieve is a huge risk.  

Edited by Gally
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gally said:

Bringing in starters to relieve is a huge risk. 

Roles are overrated but nobody should go the day after throwing 100 pitches.

• Like 1