What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (10 Viewers)

At least you don't have Kapler anymore
I don't think it was all his fault. Injuries and lack of pitching hurt more than anything. Honestly the only guy I'd want managing is bringing Charlie back to do it. Something with Girardi just doesn't sit well

I know this probably won't hold much water coming from an Astros fan, but stealing signs is not a huge deal.  And I wouldn't care who did/does it.  (Keep in mind, the article said multiple teams, but the Astros are being focused on because they won the WS.)

First off, Fiers is an ###hole.  Never been a fan of guys who are OK "cheating" when it's helping them, but then report it once it's no longer helping.  

But more importantly, it's the 21st century.  There are cameras everywhere.  If you are still throwing down a single amount of fingers to indicate a pitch, that's on you.  You should be using an encrypted system like the 3rd base coach giving signals.  And honestly, I'd be OK with the pitcher and catcher being able to communicate with each other using some tech device.  Why do we force them to give signs in the year 2019?!?  It's dumb.
I agree Phillies did this awhile back but a lot of teams did at the time. We were just focused more do to the success. 

I love how ESPN has made the Astros out to be this evil organization.  Was reading something last night where they said this cheating scandal comes on the heels of the issue with the front office being misogynistic. 

What?  :confused:

One guy said something dumb.  And he got canned.  And, honestly, it wasn't even that offensive.  Sure, in this #metoo era, it's viewed as offensive.  But is it really?  Dumb?  Yes.  Offensive?  No.  If he would have yelled, "Hey, #####es!  I'm glad we traded for a guy who beats women because I like when men beat women!  It's the greatest thing since Hitler!"  That's offensive.  But yelling "That's why we traded for him!" is not offensive.  Again, very dumb.  And I would have let him go, too.  But not because what he said was offensive.  Because he's a moron.  

The Astros are not evil.  Far from it.  

As for tanking, lots and lots of pro franchises have done it. 

I remember “suck for Luck” quite well. 

Not to interrupt the talk about banging trashcans, cameras and disgruntled fans, but who’s everyone got for Cy Young tonight?

NL- deGrom (yeah, I’m a Mets fan. But I don’t think this is a race. ) eta: 21 straight innings to end the season with 0 runs allowed- thats making a statement.

AL- i’m going with Cole slightly over Verlander, but you could easily convince me to go Verlander.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeGrom goes back to back. Did they say who else has done that?
Koufax (back when there was only one award for both leagues)

Denny McLain

Palmer

Maddux (four consecutive)

Clemens

Pedro (three)

Randy Johnson (four)

Lincecum :wub:

Kershaw

Scherzer

I haven't commented here in awhile. So the Phillies hired Girardi. Not really happy about this. Wanted Buck or Maddon honestly. Girardi has a few questionable moves how he's handled young pitching staffs. He also doesn't related well to Young players from what I've heard from Yankee fan friends and he apparently had a falling out with Yankee Vets in Posada and Jeter and one other. He also has a laundry list of pitchers he's screwed the careers of most famously pitching Josh Johnson after a rain delay in his MIAMI days after almost a 1 and 1/2 hour delay after he had started the game. Some experts feel that was the beginning of the end for Johnson with injuries starting to mount shortly after. 
I'm surprised the Phillies let Girardi cross-examine Ambassador Taylor at the impeachment hearings.

NREC34 said:
You’re gonna need more proof than they had a good record at home for this “blatant” cheating after the rule was changed. 

Whatever they allegedly did in 2017 was legal at the time. 

The Astros have a lot of smart people running them who aren’t necessarily baseball people. They will push the envelope as far as they can to win because that’s what their hired to do. 
Stop defending this.   You're embarrassing yourself.

They have a player literally on the team admitting it. 
A disgruntled player now on a division rival who got left off the postseason roster. Yes. 

You also have another player, Beltran who says they didn’t. 

I see a lot of people on Twitter saying that they think these clips are faked. 

If they did do it some in some regular season games it wasn’t against the written rules at the time. They also should’ve figured out something better than banging on a trash can. Too obvious. 

Surprised Cole lost to Verlander.  That was a shocker.

Hoping some Giants fans can help me with this.  I tape Intentional Talk on MLB Network and when I went to watch yesterday's episode, it was pre-empted by the Giants press conference of introducing Kapler.  Thing is, it came in not at the beginning.  The owner (Middle Eastern named guy) was apologizing for something.  He kept saying he needed to do a better job at "that" and that they needed to work on "that" at all levels of the organization.  Then Kapler went into the same thing.  But they never mentioned what they were apologizing for.  I ended up watching about 10 minutes of it before I got bored and fast forwarded.  When it was over, they went to the guys in the studio and the one guy asked what he thought of the presser.  And the guy said, "One word: Wow."  Then they went on to talk about how odd that presser was because usually introducing a new manager is a good thing but they kept talking about contentious it was.

What happened?  :confused:

Hoping some Giants fans can help me with this.  I tape Intentional Talk on MLB Network and when I went to watch yesterday's episode, it was pre-empted by the Giants press conference of introducing Kapler.  Thing is, it came in not at the beginning.  The owner (Middle Eastern named guy) was apologizing for something.  He kept saying he needed to do a better job at "that" and that they needed to work on "that" at all levels of the organization.  Then Kapler went into the same thing.  But they never mentioned what they were apologizing for.  I ended up watching about 10 minutes of it before I got bored and fast forwarded.  When it was over, they went to the guys in the studio and the one guy asked what he thought of the presser.  And the guy said, "One word: Wow."  Then they went on to talk about how odd that presser was because usually introducing a new manager is a good thing but they kept talking about contentious it was.

Back story from when Zaidi and Kapler were in the Dodgers organization.

Saw this over on Reddit: Astros plate discipline numbers in all games (MLB rank in parentheses):

Year Contact Swinging Strike
2014 75.7% (30) 11.2% (28)
2015 75.9% (29) 11.5% (29)
2016 74.7% (29) 11.4% (28)
2017 81.2% (1) 8.5% (1)
2018 79.9% (2) 8.9% (2)
2019 80.7% (1) 8.6% (1)

That is some kind of turnaround starting in 2017.    Amazing 🤣

Saw this over on Reddit: Astros plate discipline numbers in all games (MLB rank in parentheses):

Year Contact Swinging Strike
2014 75.7% (30) 11.2% (28)
2015 75.9% (29) 11.5% (29)
2016 74.7% (29) 11.4% (28)
2017 81.2% (1) 8.5% (1)
2018 79.9% (2) 8.9% (2)
2019 80.7% (1) 8.6% (1)

That is some kind of turnaround starting in 2017.    Amazing 🤣
Well, the 2014 and 2015 teams were terrible and had no name players.  

They added Beltran in ‘17 too. He’s notorious for figuring out tipped pitches. 

Don’t see how these stats prove a thing. 

I think Cole had a stronger finish but Verlander was more consistent 

i had bets on both to win though 💰

I don’t really follow but I just assumed Cole would be the runaway winner. Was pretty surprised to see it was Verlander. 

I don’t really follow but I just assumed Cole would be the runaway winner. Was pretty surprised to see it was Verlander. 
They were saying it was neck and neck towards the end of the season.  And really, I don't think there was a wrong pick.  You could make a case for either.  But I thought Cole would win, especially with all of the K's he was throwing up this season.

So let me get this straight. Patriots video practices is cheating. But astros using video to steal signs DURING games is not cheating? 

Take off the rose colored glasses. Hinch is gonna get a huge suspension and Astros are definitely gonna lose draft picks. 

You can't be serious here. 
I may also have on said rose colored glasses but I'm not sure I understand the outrage here or what they did wrong either. Hasn't sign stealing long been a part of the game?  And doing it electronically wasn't illegal until after 2017?

I may also have on said rose colored glasses but I'm not sure I understand the outrage here or what they did wrong either. Hasn't sign stealing long been a part of the game?  And doing it electronically wasn't illegal until after 2017?
There's a reason it was made illegal. BECAUSE IT WAS CHEATING

So if it wasn't against the rules in 2017 why is MLB investigating? Why hasn't Hinch come out and say "yeah we did it but we stopped doing it once the rule was put in place"

But that seems like an old story.  Why did it come up during his introduction?  I assume a reporter asked trying to make a name for him/herself?
The handling of the sexual assault has been a big deal on Giants Twitter and media throughout the interview process.  It's a bad look from a franchise that had its President/CEO suspended for three months this season following a public altercation with his wife.

It's awkward when a new managerial hire is immediately on the defensive and its not like Kapler can flash his ring to distract the fanbase.  Zaidi and the front office must be banking that it'll blow over by opening day.  It probably will but this hasn't been a popular move.

A disgruntled player now on a division rival who got left off the postseason roster. Yes. 

You also have another player, Beltran who says they didn’t. 

I see a lot of people on Twitter saying that they think these clips are faked. 

If they did do it some in some regular season games it wasn’t against the written rules at the time. They also should’ve figured out something better than banging on a trash can. Too obvious. 
really don’t care at all (I think all teams should cheat as much as possible) but you can’t just ignore what a player on the team is saying like he’s some jilted boyfriend with hurt feelings.

Players change teams literally all the time without making these accusations. You’re just being a super homer here. Your team cheated. They got away with it. It’s not a personal assault on your character. Just enjoy it. I would find it hilarious if my team cheated this much and pulled it off. I wish the Bucs would start cheating for God’s sake. 

gump said:
Mike Trout!  Now tied for the 2nd most MVPs in baseball history.  :tebow:
Trout is so good.  The league needs him in some postseasons.

Greatest thing to come out of Millville NJ.

shadyridr said:
So let me get this straight. Patriots video practices is cheating. But astros using video to steal signs DURING games is not cheating? 

Take off the rose colored glasses. Hinch is gonna get a huge suspension and Astros are definitely gonna lose draft picks. 
Apples and oranges.  Sign stealing has been part of the game forever.  It's like saying you watched an NHL game, saw a guy fight and only get a penalty, yet in the NBA he'd get a suspension.  

Eephus said:
The handling of the sexual assault has been a big deal on Giants Twitter and media throughout the interview process.  It's a bad look from a franchise that had its President/CEO suspended for three months this season following a public altercation with his wife.

It's awkward when a new managerial hire is immediately on the defensive and its not like Kapler can flash his ring to distract the fanbase.  Zaidi and the front office must be banking that it'll blow over by opening day.  It probably will but this hasn't been a popular move.
Got it.  That makes a lot more sense.  Thanks for the explanation because I had no clue. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread