What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (2 Viewers)

I mean Cole is awesome but it’s amazing the Rays can’t adjust. This is 14 innings of domination now. Insane. 

Great series.  Nothing but respect for the Rays.  Now just hoping the Stros find a way to win without Cole or Verlander.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Swanson said:
Holy pitching changes, Batman.
Like I said, this is when you start to notice it.  Imagine how much better it would be if when the Rays changed pitchers, the guy had to come out to the mound and just start throwing to a batter.  I'd also require all teams to have a bullpen cart.  Not just for speed, but also because they make me laugh.

One thing that didn't factor into the game but I thought was interesting:

Late in the game, Alvarez was on first and the long fly ball was hit to the warning track.  AJ said he saw Alvarez not retouch 2nd base on his way back to first.  The Rays asked for them to check on replay.  Immediately, my first thought was "That's not reviewable.  That's a simple appeal to the bag."  I think when the umps got together, that's what they were talking about.  What could they look at in the review.  And I think they determined that "Did anyone tag Alvarez after the ball was caught on the warning track?"  If not, he's technically safe.  But I think that even after the replay, if they would've appealed to 2nd base, he might have been out.

Baseball is weird in that it's the only sport where an umpire can see someone do something wrong and won't make the call unless he's officially asked.  So strange.

Ended up not turning into anything, but I wonder if that's what happened.

Sheik...I was on about beer #7 when that play you are talking about occurred. I had no idea what was going on or why they were looking at replays. Thanks. 

I thought they determined that there was no indisputable proof that his foot didn't skim the bag at 2nd, so the call on the field stood.  If they had called him out it would have stuck as well. AJ in the booth seemed to think they missed the call but none of them talked about the visual proof angle.  

I thought they determined that there was no indisputable proof that his foot didn't skim the bag at 2nd, so the call on the field stood.  If they had called him out it would have stuck as well. AJ in the booth seemed to think they missed the call but none of them talked about the visual proof angle.  
They didn't really go into detail.  And they only showed us one angle, which was from, what looked like, the Goodyear Blimp.  

All that said, if you remember, after the Rays asked for a review, the umps all got together and talked for a little bit.  I think that's where they were saying, "We can only call him out if someone tags him."  You are not automatically out if you don't retouch 2nd base on your return.  Just like if you are running home and don't touch 3rd base, you're not immediately called out.  The pitcher has to throw over to third and appeal.  Then the ump can call you out.  After the review, all the umps said was "Safe", which he would have been whether he touched 2nd or not.  Now, if someone would've tagged him or 2nd base, then I think they could have ruled him out.

Again, I could be wrong, but I don't understand why that's not an appeal instead of a replay.

comfortably numb said:
D'Arnaud and Syndergaard for RA Dickey was 1
D'Arnaud also in the Halladay to the Phils deal.  He went from Philly to Toronto, then to the Mets.

Last edited by a moderator:
So.... I’m reading this morning that Glasnow was tipping his pitches. 

You might not want to do that against the Astros. The Dodgers found that out a couple of years ago. 

Sucks. Especially sucks when you realize how good he was after he stopped tipping. ####. 
He’s really good. Hopefully you guys have him locked up for a few years cheap. 

I can’t even imagine what Brent Strom could turn him into. 

The clips I saw of the pitch tipping showed pretty clearly what was happening.  None that I saw talked about what he did in the 2nd and 2/3 of the third when he was pretty dominant.  Did he correct it after the first? If so that's pretty impressive that they figured it out in between innings. Or even more impressive that he didn't fix it and they still couldn't touch him.

When I was watching I thought, Wow- they are hammering some really good pitches. Was it when he jams his glove in his face?

Cowboysfan8 said:
Yeah this

Plus.....why couldn’t they just use Maeda and Jansen? Why the sudden urge to bring starters out of the bullpen in the playoffs?

Its ####### stupid 
Because Dave Martinez of the Nationals did it.  So it must be the great new thing and Roberts has to do it too.

I saw somewhere earlier that the Dodgers announced Roberts will be back. 
I saw that too.  Aside from Maddon, not sure who would be an upgrade over Roberts.  At least in the regular season. 

He has lost in the NLCS, WS, WS, NLDS in his 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread