Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

You never know...the Nats could ride good pitching all the way to win it all. 

Is this a record for runs scored in a postseason after 3 games? 1 run? Are you kidding me?

11 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

FWIW I'm not sure I would say the catcher was already outside before moving his glove outside.  He set up high and outside initially but dropped back to a basically normal position (maybe ever so slightly outside) right as the pitch was released.

still frame from my dvr

Note the angle of the camera view. Draw a line from where the rubber would be through the plate. It’s slightly right of the pitcher’s left foot, which generally lands around straight in front of rubber towards plate. That line seems to go through the middle of the catcher’s left shin guard. He’s lined up a decent amount outside and I recall he had to reach his glove right to catch it. There are some close pitches according to the box that go either way but that one was outside enough where it’s rare to get a strike call. He definitely never fouled off the pitch before, but the final strike call was pretty bad. 

19 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Of course not.  But this was neither some intense pitcher's duel nor a game full of intense near win situations where great plays were made to save the game, or batters came up in incredibly tense scenarios (down by 1 run, 2 outs, runners in scoring position in the 9th inning or beyond).

Then the walkoff came in a no-lose situation with no outs and the bases empty with the broadcast barely back from commercial.

It wasn't like we were talking about bases loaded, 2 outs, down by a run here, or anything near it.  We've actually had those kind of situations a fair bit in the last 2-3 post-seasons (sometimes with the entire series on the line).  Even as an Astros fan focusing just on the Astros I didn't have near the butterflies in my stomach near the end of this game as I've had in quite a few games over the last 3 postseasons.  It was a good, close game.  "Epic" is a pretty big stretch.

It happens so rarely, I don't think that's a big deal.  Before the juiced ball of 2019, I believe the roof was hit something like less than 15 times in the almost 20 year life of Enron/Minute Made.  This year, it's happened like 7 times.  

This game today feels so critical. 

Whoever loses will have to win 3 out of 4. 

If NY loses 2 of those 4 would be JV/Cole and the HFA they got back would also be gone. 

Seems like their fans are super nervous on Twitter. I’ve seen some really horrible tweets too. One guy tweeted that he hoped the Astros plane crashed on the flight to NY. 

1 minute ago, NREC34 said:

This game today feels so critical. 

Whoever loses will have to win 3 out of 4. 

If NY loses 2 of those 4 would be JV/Cole and the HFA they got back would also be gone. 

Seems like their fans are super nervous on Twitter. I’ve seen some really horrible tweets too. One guy tweeted that he hoped the Astros plane crashed on the flight to NY. 

I would say all of the pressure in on Houston today.  It's our ace who is unhittable.  If they can beat Cole, there's nothing standing in their way at that point.  If Cole wins today, it's expected.  If the Yanks win, it's a huge momentum swing that'll be hard to recover from.

9 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I would say all of the pressure in on Houston today.  It's our ace who is unhittable.  If they can beat Cole, there's nothing standing in their way at that point.  If Cole wins today, it's expected.  If the Yanks win, it's a huge momentum swing that'll be hard to recover from.

I think more pressure is on NY for the reasons I stated and they come out tight while Houston plays loose. 

I think the Astro bats really come alive today because hitting is contagious and what Correa did will jumpstart everyone. 

I also think this guy pitching for NY will be rusty and groove some pitches because he hasn’t played much this year. 

But I could be totally wrong, Sheik. 

Not sure one is under more pressure than the other. i think the loser today is in a hole but I believe the Yankees need it more than Houston.  Yanks lose and the best they can hope for is to get to game 6 needing to beat either JV or GC in Houston.  1 of 2 is not usually bad but when it's those 2 I think that's daunting.   A Houston loss today is not the end of the world but if they don't force Boone to use his pen much then that would hurt.  A NY win and a bunch of fresh arms for games 3 and 4 is bad news for Houston.

:2cents:

1 hour ago, falguy said:

Not sure one is under more pressure than the other. i think the loser today is in a hole but I believe the Yankees need it more than Houston.  Yanks lose and the best they can hope for is to get to game 6 needing to beat either JV or GC in Houston.  1 of 2 is not usually bad but when it's those 2 I think that's daunting.   A Houston loss today is not the end of the world but if they don't force Boone to use his pen much then that would hurt.  A NY win and a bunch of fresh arms for games 3 and 4 is bad news for Houston.

:2cents:

Right. That’s the best NY can hope for but they still would have to win twice at home. just get to that point. 

If this thing goes 7 and Washington finishes off STL in 4 or 5 they will be sitting pretty with their pitching lined up however they want it. 

Pressure for the Stros is they have to win one on the road now (which has not been their strength in the postseason) and this is their best shot at that with Cole on the mound.

• Like 1

No Gioncarlo Stanton. 

I was listening to WFAN this morning and apparently Reggie Jackson was caught on open mic he didn’t know was on talking crap about him being hurt too much. 

Cole has been inhuman at home and just dominant on the road.  The only that stands out for me is his HR rate.  For someone so dominant, he yielded 29 homeruns.  Yanks need to hope for 2 long balls at least tonite with hopefully someone on base each time.  Severino is a crap shoot right now, over/under on his innings is what, 4?  Obviously the formula for the Yanks is get 2 out of 3 at home.  I would have concern that Paxton taxed the BP, then Severino goes 4 and taxes the pen and game 4 is a pen game, unless the weather pushes game 4 back and allows Tanaka-san to pitch game 4 Thursday against Greinke.  If I was the Yanks, i'd hope for no rain out, so games 4 and 5 are vs. the Houston pen and Greinke.  Then you tangle with Verlander and Cole in 6 and 7 on the road.  I think I did that right..... 

Looks like the worst of the wind in The Bronx will be before evening.  Winds over 20mph during the day, but will drop to 15-20mph by evening.  Not a huge drop, but better than 35mph gusts whipping up during the game.  Either way, it's going to be brutal at the game.  Damp with temps hovering around 50 degrees.  But it'll feel closer to 40 degrees.  

Looks like the wind will be blowing across the field from right to left.  That could make fielding fly balls a nightmare.

7 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Looks like the worst of the wind in The Bronx will be before evening.  Winds over 20mph during the day, but will drop to 15-20mph by evening.  Not a huge drop, but better than 35mph gusts whipping up during the game.  Either way, it's going to be brutal at the game.  Damp with temps hovering around 50 degrees.  But it'll feel closer to 40 degrees.  

Looks like the wind will be blowing across the field from right to left.  That could make fielding fly balls a nightmare.

Ah must be why they’re playing JJ Reddick 

4 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Ah must be why they’re playing JJ Reddick 

My bad.  This will  be for Thursday's game.  

2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

My bad.  This will  be for Thursday's game.  

You think Wednesday will be rained out?

30 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

You think Wednesday will be rained out?

Yes.  I would say a 99% chance it's rained out.  Maybe higher.

By the way, I believe the Astros have only ever won one playoff game in The Bronx.

A lot of pitches for Severino.  If the Astros can hold win this game and deplete the Yanks bullpen, that would be a win-win-win. 

Grooved that ball to Altuve like I predicted earlier and he has 32 pitches. 

I liiiiiiiiiiiike this start. 

Come on Correa

Hell of a first inning.  Not quite epic but definitely intense.  

Just now, Major said:

Hell of a first inning.  Not quite epic but definitely intense.  

That was 2 beer inning

Must be time to go to the pen to start the pitching carousel once again. 

49 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

By the way, I believe the Astros have only ever won one playoff game in The Bronx.

Out of how many chances?

another 25.  61 pitches after 2 IP.    He went 83 vs MINN in 4 ip

Just now, bryhamm said:

Out of how many chances?

two series.  Epic sample size :D

I hope the Yankees put that nerdy looking white dude in next inning 

Watching Cole is like watching a master painter with how locked in he is right now. The only two Yankees that look remotely up to the task are LeMahieu and Torres. 

9 minutes ago, Jayded said:

Watching Cole is like watching a master painter with how locked in he is right now. The only two Yankees that look remotely up to the task are LeMahieu and Torres. 

Hicks looked pretty good.

4 minutes ago, jimmy b said:

Hicks looked pretty good.

I feel like if you could get a guy that just fouls off like 20 pitches per at bat on purpose, wouldn’t that be worth something to a mlb team?

8 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Home plate umpire is leaving the game

I'm a little old and admit haven't seen this before.   see how it goes.

1 minute ago, kodycutter said:

I'm a little old and admit haven't seen this before.   see how it goes.

I think he called that last inning with a concussion. 

• Like 1

Another reason for an automated strike zone there.  Home plate ump's body being in the way just saved a run.

• Like 1

Whelp next one got by too and ump didn't save them this time.  All made possible by the awesome baserunning after Springer was caught in the rundown.

Stuck listening ro the game on the mlb app. Chose the NYY WFAN feed. The play by play radio guy was horrible. Any chance the Yanks could kick down a couple bucks and hire someone who doesn’t sound like he’s in mourning? Wow. Switched to the Astros feed.

1 minute ago, MindCrime said:

Stuck listening ro the game on the mlb app. Chose the NYY WFAN feed. The play by play radio guy was horrible. Any chance the Yanks could kick down a couple bucks and hire someone who doesn’t sound like he’s in mourning? Wow. Switched to the Astros feed.

John Sterling? Yeah he's horrible but he's been doing Yankees games since the 80s. Probably a HOF broadcaster. 

If I'm Hinch, I'm leaving Cole in there until he shows signs of weakness.  Dude is in the zone.  

• Like 1