Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2019 MLB Off Season

Recommended Posts

I'm prejudiced but game 7 of a World Series is better than a game 7 in other sports.  

Also of course better than any single knockout game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'm prejudiced but game 7 of a World Series is better than a game 7 in other sports.  

Also of course better than any single knockout game.

Hockey is by far the best. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:
11 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'm prejudiced but game 7 of a World Series is better than a game 7 in other sports.  

Also of course better than any single knockout game.

Hockey is by far the best. 

You're prejudiced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Hockey is by far the best. 

The floor for a game 7 hockey game is definitely much higher than that of a game 7 baseball game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Hockey is by far the best. 

:goodposting:

I've been to:
2001 WS Gm 7
2002 WS GM 7
2003  Stanley Cup game 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The floor for a game 7 hockey game is definitely much higher than that of a game 7 baseball game.

I'll give you Stanley Cup overtime vs. World Series extra innings.

But all NHL playoffs are seven game series so game sevens are relatively common.  There's also not the intrigue of lineups and pitching matchups.  Shifts may get longer but lines don't change much from game 6 to 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I've got an Astros WS ticket at +200.  Nothing huge - $166 to win $322.  Hedging out kinda seems like a wussy move, but I'm not sold on the Astros right now.  What should I do?

stay the course. That's what I would be doing if Kevzilla hadn't played daddy to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Eephus said:

You're prejudiced

now imagine that the hockey team was black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Roles are overrated but nobody should go the day after throwing 100 pitches.

I agree roles are overrated but pitchers are creatures of habit.  Starters get ready to go a lot differently than relievers and it is a transition and different mindset going in.  Not every starter can handle that change especially in a huge moment.  Just like closers that only pitch one inning an outing all year many times have difficulty pitching two innings because of the break between being on the mound.  They have to approach it differently and not everyone can.  I think Kenley Jansen has a problem with that.  He melted down every time he was called on to go more than one inning in last year's playoffs. 

 

But bottom line....nobody should throw the day after throwing 100+ pitches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Roles are overrated but nobody should go the day after throwing 100 pitches.

I generally agree and don’t think Strasburg would be the ideal scenario. But if the Nats find themselves in a hole and need to decide between the Fernando Rodney Experience or Strasburg on no rest, I may take my chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I generally agree and don’t think Strasburg would be the ideal scenario. But if the Nats find themselves in a hole and need to decide between the Fernando Rodney Experience or Strasburg on no rest, I may take my chances.

Is he signed with the Nats for next year?

Cole as a FA inclines me toward using him however it helps win the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'll give you Stanley Cup overtime vs. World Series extra innings.

But all NHL playoffs are seven game series so game sevens are relatively common.  There's also not the intrigue of lineups and pitching matchups.  Shifts may get longer but lines don't change much from game 6 to 7.

But you were basing this on game 7 of the world series so this would be compared to game 7 of the SC finals.  Not any of the other rounds of playoffs.  A game 7 for the trophy is the most exciting thing of that sport.  For a spectator SC Hockey is better than WS baseball (and I am a baseball guy).  The intensity and excitement of any goal being the game winner in non-stop action never lets you relax for a second.  Baseball has a different kind of stress but it gives you breaks to relax and recoup.  Hockey doesn't have that. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Is he signed with the Nats for next year?

Cole as a FA inclines me toward using him however it helps win the series.

He has opt out clause in his contract 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Craziest part of this series is:


The series itself has been amazing as a whole, but individually, the games themselves have been boring.  No drama in game.  

Yep. This has been my wife's complaint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Da Guru said:

I pitched and played OF in HS.   I thought I was a flame thrower but in reality I was only hitting 84-85 with my best fastball.  That is pretty good for HS but a scout won`t even look at anyone unless they are in the low 90s.  I don`t think people realize how hard it is to add MPH to a fastball. Plus toss in the fact I could not throw strikes with my curve and I was a one trick pony. I am left handed and I beaned many a left handed batter with a curve that did not break.

I once read a quote "Great pitchers are born not made"  Should be great "fastball" pitchers.

Yeah it's just all about being born with a live arm. I would my butt off in high school (throwing programs, working out, getting routine therapy done to my elbow, etc.) just to get my arm at the level where colleges would want it for right field and it just didn't happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, belljr said:

I thought Buzz Aldren was Kirk Douglass....

Not kidding

Aldrin last pitched in game 3 so he's rested and ready if called upon tonight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Soto is an adventure out there. 

Need a shortish leash with Max tonight. 

Yeah, he does not have his normal command. Might need Sanchez tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t watched baseball in years....

When did they start allowing jewelry?  The last Astros batter had a Run DMC sized necklace on. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Scherzer looks beatable 

 

12 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Yeah, he does not have his normal command. Might need Sanchez tonight

Isn’t he always shaky to start games and then settles in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

 

Isn’t he always shaky to start games and then settles in? 

Not like this. They are hitting him pretty hard, he’s missing the corners, and he’s not getting swings and misses in the zone. Usually at least some good mixed in with the bad with the settling in, but he just looks bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I haven’t watched baseball in years....

When did they start allowing jewelry?  The last Astros batter had a Run DMC sized necklace on. 

When I was five years old I bought a necklace to mimic Doc Gooden. 
 

Been around for years. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NREC34 said:

I’ve never seen a better fielding pitcher

Maddux 

Edited by Zow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zow said:

Yeah it's just all about being born with a live arm. I would my butt off in high school (throwing programs, working out, getting routine therapy done to my elbow, etc.) just to get my arm at the level where colleges would want it for right field and it just didn't happen. 

Probably more what was connected to the arm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nats will win this boring game. I'm going to bed. Good night.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Greinke's WS patch looks like its made of cardboard

I guess everyone's does, I just noticed it first on ZG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capella said:

Jesus Christ it’s only the 4th inning 

He can't hit a curve ball

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Nats will win this boring game. I'm going to bed. Good night.

You’re crazy. This is super tense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zow said:

You’re crazy. This is super tense. 

Maybe I’m just old but when the bolts game is over I’m out too. I sound like my dad but I’ll just read about it in the morning. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

Maybe I’m just old but when the bolts game is over I’m out too. I sound like my dad but I’ll just read about it in the morning. 

I suppose you’re in the east coast with a small child. 
 

Moving to the west coast has been awesome if just for the times that sporting events start. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Corbin or Sanchez needs to at least start stretching.  Doubt they can get ready as fast as a normal reliever. 

Haven’t seen anything on tv or on Twitter that they are. Insanity if nobody is warming up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astros could be up like 4-0. Can’t get the two out hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zow said:

I suppose you’re in the east coast with a small child. 
 

Moving to the west coast has been awesome if just for the times that sporting events start. 

I am yes. And a 4:45 alarm tomorrow. 
 

I agree with you on the WC. Every time I’m out there I love watching sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

Maybe I’m just old but when the bolts game is over I’m out too. I sound like my dad but I’ll just read about it in the morning. 

nice comeback

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Maybe I’m just old but when the bolts game is over I’m out too. I sound like my dad but I’ll just read about it in the morning. 

Yup. I'm yawning and falling asleep. I've always loved baseball since I played tee ball as a kid but watching MLB is far less enjoyable than watching NFL. I mostly do it now just for gambling and fantasy purposes. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.