Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2019 MLB Off Season

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Even with all of that, I still think the Cubs play the Cards tough.  Tougher than the Rockies will play the Brewers.  JMO.

I could definitely see the Cubs inciting a brawl if that's what you mean by tough.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

They are better.  I never said they weren't.  But the ball is "juiced" this year, so inflated numbers don't really mean that much comparing two different seasons.

But my point still stands:  Great teams in baseball don't always win the World Series.  

Nope, but that's the way I'm going to bet, boring as that may be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Time for the Twins to right years of wrong and finally take down the Yankees! 

As said on Minneapolis radio- "It is time for Bombasota, the land of 10000 rakes"

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, East Coast Bias said:

Looking forward to seeing the A's lock up a wildcard spot tomorrow. 

I'd appreciate it if you fumble around these next two games and not lock this up until Sunday. Not that I'm heavily invested in A's regulars or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be rooting for the Minnesota Twins for a few reasons...

1. They haven't won as much as the big teams (Yankees, Dodgers, etc.)

2. They are lower on the payroll scale.  I like it when the teams that spend a fortune on players don't have success. 

3.  The Phillies are out of it.  (yes, sort of hypocritical when reading #2)

4. They play spring training ball in FL.

 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A’s offense slumping at the wrong time. Can still get a home game but not sure that will matter. Will need close to a perfect game from Manaea against the Rays to have a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

A’s offense slumping at the wrong time. Can still get a home game but not sure that will matter. Will need close to a perfect game from Manaea against the Rays to have a chance.

Is that who they said they’re going with? Rays are pitching Morton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

A’s offense slumping at the wrong time. Can still get a home game but not sure that will matter. Will need close to a perfect game from Manaea against the Rays to have a chance.

Shame that Jesus Luzardo had various injuries throughout the year and was just recently called up.  He's electric when healthy.  It would have been interesting to see him a starting role for the whole season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Capella said:

Is that who they said they’re going with? Rays are pitching Morton. 

It will either be Manaea on 5 days rest or Fiers on 4. They added PED Montas back to the rotation a couple days ago and swapped Manaea and Fiers presumably to have Manaea on 5 days rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, East Coast Bias said:

It will either be Manaea on 5 days rest or Fiers on 4. They added PED Montas back to the rotation a couple days ago and swapped Manaea and Fiers presumably to have Manaea on 5 days rest.

As a Rays fan it’s pretty sweet having a guy who won game 7 of the World Series a few years ago out there for the one-off game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Shame that Jesus Luzardo had various injuries throughout the year and was just recently called up.  He's electric when healthy.  It would have been interesting to see him a starting role for the whole season.

He’s looked good in limited innings. Excited about next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals wipe out the Cubs to take the Central.

Should be interesting to see how the red hot Brewers continue in the Wild Card - Scherzer awaits. Not sure anyone wants to play them.

Not sure I'll be able to handle the Cardinal bullpen vs the Braves - thats a tough lineup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cheese and Crackers said:

Brewers playing absolutely meaningless extra innings, should've just let em score in the 9th:doh:

Exactly what I said. Once they got to the 10th they should have let Perez pitch and been done with it.

But that's what we get with Counsell

Edited by Mr.Pack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 11:55 PM, ILUVBEER99 said:

Brewers blew golden opportunity to have shot at division.  Choke job.

On one hand, I was thinking, "Well, they're not going to win every game, so not really a choke."  But on the other hand, if you're winning with 2 outs in the 9th and you have the best closer in baseball on the mound, losing is choking at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

If any team has given the Astros troubles this year, it's been the A's.  

Unfortunately I would say the Reds. I witnessed it in person too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, side note:  Amazed that the Cubs are letting Maddon go.  I hope the Phillies fire Kapler and sign Maddon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

If any team has given the Astros troubles this year, it's been the A's.  

Agreed.  Although the Ray's gave us a nasty start to the season. Still rather play the Rays though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not someone who complains about pace of play, but once the playoffs start, this is when the game really slows down.  One thing I never understood that could shave a lot of time off the game is this:  When you bring in a relief pitcher, he doesn't get to throw any warm up pitches on the mound.  What's he been doing in the bullpen for the past 10 minutes?  Why does he get another 5 minutes on the mound?  When they call in a pinch hitter, they don't stop the game and let him take 5 minutes of batting practice at the plate.

The reliever warms up in the pen.  If he gets the call in, he comes in and he starts pitching right away.  No warm up throws.  There's no reason for it.  By doing this, you can have the teams bring in relief pitchers all day without slowing the game down in the late innings.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I'm not someone who complains about pace of play, but once the playoffs start, this is when the game really slows down.  One thing I never understood that could shave a lot of time off the game is this:  When you bring in a relief pitcher, he doesn't get to throw any warm up pitches on the mound.  What's he been doing in the bullpen for the past 10 minutes?  Why does he get another 5 minutes on the mound?  When they call in a pinch hitter, they don't stop the game and let him take 5 minutes of batting practice at the plate.

The reliever warms up in the pen.  If he gets the call in, he comes in and he starts pitching right away.  No warm up throws.  There's no reason for it.  By doing this, you can have the teams bring in relief pitchers all day without slowing the game down in the late innings.  

Bullpen mound is way different than real mound.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Bullpen mound is way different than real mound.

Why?  Why would they be different?  It's not like they're made by two different manufacturer's.  Plus, tough ####.  The batting cage is different than a batter's box on the field.  If you eliminate the warmup pitches from the game, it speeds everything up.  Instead of the 8th inning taking 2 hours hours because you're bringing in a new pitcher to face each batter.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Why?  Why would they be different?  It's not like they're made by two different manufacturer's.  Plus, tough ####.  The batting cage is different than a batter's box on the field.  If you eliminate the warmup pitches from the game, it speeds everything up.  Instead of the 8th inning taking 2 hours hours because you're bringing in a new pitcher to face each batter.

There's different holes on the real mound based on where the actual pitchers' landing spot is. 8 pitches seems reasonable to let a relief pitcher to get a good feel for the mound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

There's different holes on the real mound based on where the actual pitchers' landing spot is. 8 pitches seems reasonable to let a relief pitcher to get a good feel for the mound.

I say no.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get what you're saying from the viewer's perspective, but I think there are a number of potential unintended consequences that could stem from such a change. If you want to use the minors as a case study then I'd be open to it depending on what findings result. Without that it's a flat no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I get what you're saying from the viewer's perspective, but I think there are a number of potential unintended consequences that could stem from such a change. If you want to use the minors as a case study then I'd be open to it depending on what findings result. Without that it's a flat no.

That's fine.  I'm all for testing in the minors.  But I don't think it's a huge difference.  Now, I'm no professional baseball pitcher, but I did play into college.  And I hated throwing warmup pitches on the mound.  I'd throw a couple in the pen then I'd want to get out there and throw.  You walk onto the mound and the first thing you do is move dirt around to your liking.  But I don't need 8 more pitches.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

That's fine.  I'm all for testing in the minors.  But I don't think it's a huge difference.  Now, I'm no professional baseball pitcher, but I did play into college.  And I hated throwing warmup pitches on the mound.  I'd throw a couple in the pen then I'd want to get out there and throw.  You walk onto the mound and the first thing you do is move dirt around to your liking.  But I don't need 8 more pitches.  

These guys are creatures of habit. This has been their routine since they started pitching. If you want to install a new routine then as long as it does not increase injury risk I'm all for it in the interest of speeding up the game. Needs years of data before considering bringing it up to the majors though. And I don't I feel good about slave labor minor leaguer's being the guinea pigs to determine if there is such increased injury risk.  So I'd need convinced that likely isn't a potential outcome before going forward with such an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

We need an electronic strike zone. Who’s with me?

No.

Baseball needs the human element in my opinion. The beauty of it is no clock, and human error and judgment is part of the game. If they are going to make the whole thing like a video game, I'm out.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Dodgers but bullpen will kill this team again unless the offense gets crazy hot for 12-16 games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

These guys are creatures of habit. This has been their routine since they started pitching. If you want to install a new routine then as long as it does not increase injury risk I'm all for it in the interest of speeding up the game. Needs years of data before considering bringing it up to the majors though. And I don't I feel good about slave labor minor leaguer's being the guinea pigs to determine if there is such increased injury risk.  So I'd need convinced that likely isn't a potential outcome before going forward with such an idea.

How are they going to get injured?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing about the postseason I don't like is I can't watch the team's broadcasters.  Baseball is great when your guys are calling the game.  Listen to some of the greatest calls ever and baseball is a magical sport.  But when it goes to the guys who have no stake in the game, baseball can be a dull game called by dull people.  And that's no knock on the broadcasters.  It's just the fact they are neutral neuters everything.

During the regular season, I watch the Astros on MLB.tv.  And I can pick my broadcast.  But they don't allow that for the postseason.  I hate that.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

How are they going to get injured?

I don't know - that's why it's a range of potential outcomes. There are more if-then's that popped in my head, but without the data to support we stop at the 'if.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I don't know - that's why it's a range of potential outcomes. There are more if-then's that popped in my head, but without the data to support we stop at the 'if.'

But you don't want to test it on "slaves" in the minors?  So essentially, you want data, but don't want to get data.  Got it.  

I'll just move on to talking about the postseason, GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocked to hear that Ausmus is fired.  I thought he was really good in Detroit.  I wonder if he'll get another gig.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I'm not someone who complains about pace of play, but once the playoffs start, this is when the game really slows down.  One thing I never understood that could shave a lot of time off the game is this:  When you bring in a relief pitcher, he doesn't get to throw any warm up pitches on the mound.  What's he been doing in the bullpen for the past 10 minutes?  Why does he get another 5 minutes on the mound?  When they call in a pinch hitter, they don't stop the game and let him take 5 minutes of batting practice at the plate.

The reliever warms up in the pen.  If he gets the call in, he comes in and he starts pitching right away.  No warm up throws.  There's no reason for it.  By doing this, you can have the teams bring in relief pitchers all day without slowing the game down in the late innings.  

You are right about the pace of play. 

I don't think the 8 warmup pitches is the main cause of slow pace of play.  You know they get those pitches, great time to go get another beer.  The bigger problem in that the batter steps out of the box and/or the pitcher is just slow between pitches.  I see it in my boys' games (12 and 10).  Every pitch the kids get out and take a practice swing or shake their heads about the call.  Just stay in the box and be ready to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dino259 said:

You are right about the pace of play. 

I don't think the 8 warmup pitches is the main cause of slow pace of play.  You know they get those pitches, great time to go get another beer.  The bigger problem in that the batter steps out of the box and/or the pitcher is just slow between pitches.  I see it in my boys' games (12 and 10).  Every pitch the kids get out and take a practice swing or shake their heads about the call.  Just stay in the box and be ready to go. 

Yeah, that needs to be toned down, too.  And normally the eight pitches aren't a bad thing.  But as you watch this postseason, from the 7th inning on, each half inning will take about 20 to 30 minutes.  And that's because a guy walks, then they call for a lefty.  They bring him in and they go to break.  He throws his 8 warm up pitches or whatever and finally action resumes.  First pitch, pops up to the catcher.  1 down.  Oh, but now they need to bring in a righty.  So commercial and this guy throws another dozen warm up pitches.  2nd pitch, the guy flies out to right.  Uh-oh.  Need to get a lefty back in there to pitch.  Take him out and another commercial break so he can warm up.  Finally, he faces the next guy who grounds out to the first baseman on the first pitch to end the inning.  20 minutes for that.  Meanwhile, the pitchers combined to throw 8 live pitches and 40 warm up pitches.  It's ridiculous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

One thing about the postseason I don't like is I can't watch the team's broadcasters.  Baseball is great when your guys are calling the game.  Listen to some of the greatest calls ever and baseball is a magical sport.  But when it goes to the guys who have no stake in the game, baseball can be a dull game called by dull people.  And that's no knock on the broadcasters.  It's just the fact they are neutral neuters everything.

During the regular season, I watch the Astros on MLB.tv.  And I can pick my broadcast.  But they don't allow that for the postseason.  I hate that.

Love Blum, Kalas, and Julia.  But I can't figure out if they're really that good or if I have Stockholm syndrome after the last couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Shocked to hear that Ausmus is fired.  I thought he was really good in Detroit.  I wonder if he'll get another gig.  

@Doctor Detroit to the white courtesy phone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shadyridr said:
3 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Why?  Why would they be different?  It's not like they're made by two different manufacturer's.  Plus, tough ####.  The batting cage is different than a batter's box on the field.  If you eliminate the warmup pitches from the game, it speeds everything up.  Instead of the 8th inning taking 2 hours hours because you're bringing in a new pitcher to face each batter.

There's different holes on the real mound based on where the actual pitchers' landing spot is. 8 pitches seems reasonable to let a relief pitcher to get a good feel for the mound.

When the guy who spent one hour looking around the Baseball HoF is arguing against you regarding pace of play, it's time to find a new argument.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The clock for pitching changes was reduced to two minutes this year.  The reliever is warmed up and ready to pitch by the end of the commercial break.

The bigger pace of play issue is the amount of time between pitches.  There are slow workers who average 30 seconds between pitches which often gets exacerbated by the batter stepping out because the pitcher has taken too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

But you don't want to test it on "slaves" in the minors?  So essentially, you want data, but don't want to get data.  Got it.  

I'll just move on to talking about the postseason, GB.

No, I'm conflicted. I'd need reasonable assurances from people that know what they're talking about from a predictive injury perspective. I can see how it could happen, but is it unfounded? :shrug: I'm not going to pretend to have the answer when I don't have all the necessary info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Eephus said:

When the guy who spent one hour looking around the Baseball HoF is arguing against you regarding pace of play, it's time to find a new argument.

Do you have me confused with someone?  I loved the Baseball HOF.  I was with 3 females that didn't appreciate it as much as me and I wasn't going to keep them there all day, but we were there for a couple of hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.