Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Put down a call for a breaking ball, wait for the trash can (17'), whistling (18'/19') and just fire one high and tight, several times...is what I'm surprised didn't happen.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

You'd probably be ok with the Astros hacking that and relaying it to your hitters.  You're really disappointing me GB.

Sorry?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

You'd probably be ok with the Astros hacking that and relaying it to your hitters.  You're really disappointing me GB.

Honestly, if they could hack it, go for it.  :shrug:

30 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Put down a call for a breaking ball, wait for the trash can (17'), whistling (18'/19') and just fire one high and tight, several times...is what I'm surprised didn't happen.   

That's what Johnny Bench said his Reds did.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

I'd prefer that the pitcher and catcher have some sort of device.  Catcher clicks the pitch and the pitcher's leg gets a single pulse, a double pulse or whatever number the pitch is.  This isn't the 1800's.  Baseball can have tech.

Francesa said something similar 

And look what he was able to do with that information.

Barreled it right at the first baseman?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Major said:

Haha.  I almost feel like the Astros are slowly becoming baseball's Patriots.   I don't mind it.  I guess that's what dominating several seasons will do to you.  Only wish they could've won another title this year  :kicksrock: 

Need more than one title in your history I think to compare to the Patriots. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Need more than one title in your history I think to compare to the Patriots. 

hence my choice of the word slowly and the wish for more titles....it more has to do with the amount of hate and scrutiny for the team

15 minutes ago, Major said:

hence my choice of the word slowly and the wish for more titles....it more has to do with the amount of hate and scrutiny for the team

I don’t think anyone would just hate the team if it wasn’t becoming blatantly apparent that they cheat. People hate cheaters, not the Astros. I still love watching some George Springer. 

Their punishment should be make Correa, Springer, and Bregman all free agents and not allow them to resign with Houston.  

56 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Uh-oh.   allegation supported by a paper trail.    not looking good for the houston asterisks.

This sounds dumb but would baseball vacate a title like the NCAA? 

12 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Get back to me when you have a smoking gun about a camera in center field. 

Otherwise you have trashcan banging on sparse attended September games in 2017. 

It is possible the Astros come clean and open up every can of worms they know on others. From their own intelligence and guys coming from other teams. 

I personally can't wait until they make a 30 for 30 on this era of baseball. It will be fascinating. 

Edited by NREC34
Mistake

25 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

It is possible the Astros come clean and open up every can of worms they know on others. From their own intelligence and guys coming from other teams. 

I personally can't wait until they make a 30 for 30 on this era of baseball. It will be fascinating. 

You weren’t willing to accept the word of a player on the team so I doubt the proof of a camera would persuade you. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 3

Just now, Capella said:

You weren’t willing to accept the word of a player on the team so I doubt the proof of a camera would persuade you. 

I am of the opinion that they did it. 99.9% chance. But....it probably can’t be proven. 

And that they did it because they knew almost everyone else was doing it and them not doing it would put them at a relative disadvantage. 

• Laughing 2

42 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Mike Fiers bro

17 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

And that they did it because they knew almost everyone else was doing it and them not doing it would put them at a relative disadvantage. 

🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

🙄

To be fair, we do know for sure that the Red Sox And Yankees were involved in something very similar.

8 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Mike Fiers bro

What details did he give about the camera?

dont have Athletic subscription sadly

Just now, Ron Swanson said:

To be fair, we do know for sure that the Red Sox And Yankees were involved in something very similar.

Right. To compete at the highest levels of baseball the last few years you better be doing it too. 

You get my argument!

1 minute ago, Ron Swanson said:

...and they should be investigated as well, but let’s not act like that’s why this was done. 

7 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Right. To compete at the highest levels of baseball the last few years you better be doing it too. 

You get my argument!

Your argument is literally a logical fallacy. 

8 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

...and they should be investigated as well, but let’s not act like that’s why this was done. 

Pretty sure they've already been investigated and fined.

1 minute ago, Ron Swanson said:

Pretty sure they've already been investigated and fined.

The Sox have, not aware of the Yankees but maybe so.  If there’s evidence they continued further then the punishment should be even more severe. 

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

Sox were Apple watches. Haven't heard anything about Yankees. 

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

The Sox have, not aware of the Yankees but maybe so.  If there’s evidence they continued further then the punishment should be even more severe. 

Sox caught with Apple watches in Sept '17. MLB fined them and put everyone in notice that future violations could result in serious penalties. The Danny Farquhuar video posted by Jomboy happened 6 days after MLBs warning. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Sox were Apple watches. Haven't heard anything about Yankees. 

You're right...it was the Yankees they got caught stealing signs from.  Imagine that, the Yankees a victim of something...😋

Just now, shadyridr said:

Sox caught with Apple watches in Sept '17. MLB fined them and put everyone in notice that future violations could result in serious penalties. The Danny Farquhuar video posted by Jomboy happened 6 days after MLBs warning. 

It was an arms race going on at the highest levels of baseball being played. For sure. 

2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

It was an arms race going on at the highest levels of baseball being played. For sure. 

So despite all the overwhelming evidence against the Astros you're still not convinced but all the teams doing this despite little evidence your sure about. Gotcha

Just now, shadyridr said:

So despite all the overwhelming evidence against the Astros you're still not convinced but all the teams doing this despite little evidence your sure about. Gotcha

Not sure I understand your statement there. A bit confusing. 

If you look back though, I commented earlier I believe 99.9% that Houston was cheating. Hopefully that addresses what you’re saying there. 

I really, really hope that the guy who wrote Astroball does a follow up book on this. He’s been real quiet on twitter through all this. 

Why didn't other former Astros come out and complain?  It just seems odd.  Was watching IT and Chris Rose was saying his opinion of the Astros would change if this proves to be true.  And Kevin Millar said that's ridiculous because all teams are doing this type of stuff.

5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Why didn't other former Astros come out and complain?  It just seems odd.  Was watching IT and Chris Rose was saying his opinion of the Astros would change if this proves to be true.  And Kevin Millar said that's ridiculous because all teams are doing this type of stuff.

Same reason players didn’t say anything when others were doping, baseball abides by street culture of no snitching and governing with unwritten rules.  It’s the same reason Millar feels the way he does as well.  Stop thinking about baseball players as “normal” members of society who abide by norms.  They’re a bunch of guys who play a game for a living, most of whom were poached directly from HS and thrown on the road into a roaming fraternity of pranks and fart jokes. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Disgruntled former employee. This last start in Houston most likely was the last straw

9 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Same reason players didn’t say anything when others were doping, baseball abides by street culture of no snitching and governing with unwritten rules.  It’s the same reason Millar feels the way he does as well.  Stop thinking about baseball players as “normal” members of society who abide by norms.  They’re a bunch of guys who play a game for a living, most of whom were poached directly from HS and thrown on the road into a roaming fraternity of pranks and fart jokes. 

No.  I think you're completely wrong.  As wrong as when you said "pushing the boundaries was noticing if a pitcher holds his glove higher when throwing a fastball."  

Baseball players know that everyone is doing this.  Or a version of this.  The fact that people are acting like this is a crime similar to hacking into someone's computer is laughable.  I mean, listen, we're talking about sign stealing, not a crime, not a crime, not a crime, we talking about sign stealing. Not a crime. Not, not … Not a crime that I go out there and die doing like it's my last. Not a crime, but we're talking about sign stealing, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about sign stealing. I know they're not supposed to be steal signs. I know they're  supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about sign stealing, man. What are we talking about? Sign stealing? We're talking about sign stealing, man. We're talking about sign stealing. We're talking about sign stealing. We ain't talking about a crime. We're talking about sign stealing, man. When you come to the ball park, and you see them play, you see them play fairly don't you? You've seen them give everything they've got, right? But we're talking about sign stealing right now. We talking about sign stealing.

The sign stealing trashcan seen in Astros 2017 documentary

"MLB has launched an investigation into the Houston Astros’ apparent technology-aided tactics to steal signs dating back to the 2017 season. And the league investigators may want to check out the Astros’ own commemorative World Series documentary.

It may reveal where the sign stealing unfolded...."

First emails, now video...oh man Houston Asterisks...

• Like 2

Stealing signs and tipping them even using a trashcan is fine.  

Not when you are stealing them via live video as its going on.  I f you figure out a pitching tell or catcher tell or sign then so be it

Edited by belljr
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, belljr said:

Stealing signs and tipping them even using a trashcan is fine.  

Not when you are stealing them via live video as its going on.  I f you figure out a pitching tell or catcher tell or sign then so be it

Right.  Worse than murder, but slightly less worse than treason.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:49 AM, NREC34 said:

Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/bhT5fQS

2 minutes ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

Look at all the pics. The camera is on a level above the 3 broadcast cameras next to the big coke bottle. https://imgur.com/a/bhT5fQS

I'm guessing that's also a TV camera.  I'm not saying they don't have a camera out there, but that's a dude with a huge camera just out in the open.  If that was the camera, I think we'd be hearing about this before Fiers said anything.  I'm guessing the camera they used is probably a very small camera that is operated remotely.  

And if that IS the camera, not only do the Astros have use wheelbarrows to carry around their huge balls, but everyone else should have their eyes checked.  Talk about hiding out in plain sight.

2 minutes ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

This picture of the monitor being taken away after the game also looks bad for the Astros and corroborates the allegations. https://i.redd.it/14zod088rbz31.jpg

Again, not saying it's not that, but a lot of teams have monitors back there.  If you watch baseball enough, you'll hear the announcers talk about how a guy will strike out, walk back to the dugout, go into the tunnel, then walk right back out and start chirping at the ump.  And that's because they watch a video of the at bat and can see if the ump called them out on a ball.

6 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I'm guessing that's also a TV camera.  I'm not saying they don't have a camera out there, but that's a dude with a huge camera just out in the open.  If that was the camera, I think we'd be hearing about this before Fiers said anything.  I'm guessing the camera they used is probably a very small camera that is operated remotely.  

And if that IS the camera, not only do the Astros have use wheelbarrows to carry around their huge balls, but everyone else should have their eyes checked.  Talk about hiding out in plain sight.

I'm not passing judgment yet, but the guy operating the camera in question is wearing an orange shirt (1st pic) https://imgur.com/a/bhT5fQS

I long for the days where we questioned the runner interference at first . :doh:

• Laughing 2

Again, not saying it's not that, but a lot of teams have monitors back there.  If you watch baseball enough, you'll hear the announcers talk about how a guy will strike out, walk back to the dugout, go into the tunnel, then walk right back out and start chirping at the ump.  And that's because they watch a video of the at bat and can see if the ump called them out on a ball.

Interesting story from Ben Davis (former catcher and current announcer for the Phillies).... he said that whenever he played for the Giants and the ump made a particularly bad call on balls/strikes, and he was SURE it was the wrong call, he would scoop up a handful of dirt and toss it aside. This was a signal to Bochy to let him know he could really start chirping at the ump.