What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (4 Viewers)

So if you're keeping count at home, 3 teams have had face-to-face meetings with Gerrit Cole:  Yankees, Dodgers and Angels.  

That seems to match up with the three teams that have the best shot of landing him.

Mother of god, the greatest news that could have possibly come out today:

The Wilpons are selling majority ownership of the Mets over the next five years. 
I don't know much about the Mets ownership, but is it that bad?  It seems like they had a good run there a few years back and if the injury bug wouldn't have hit their pitching staff, they'd have been even better.

Not the case. They both made offers, but not as much money or years as the Phils.

There have been a handful of guys over the years that have given "home-town discounts" on a contract, but never a really big-name guy on his first crack at FA. Too much at stake for the player/agent to accept anything less. Would also be majorly frowned upon by the MLB union as it would be affecting the "value" of all future FA's.
Wheeler turned down a larger offer from the Chicago White Sox that was in excess of $120 million, sources told Passan. - Per ESPN

I don't know much about the Mets ownership, but is it that bad?  It seems like they had a good run there a few years back and if the injury bug wouldn't have hit their pitching staff, they'd have been even better.
They were good owners at one point IMO, but allegedly lost a lot of money with Bernie Madoff and have been unable to compete financially since.

ETA: I never knew until recently that the reason the Mets agreed to pay Bobby Bonilla until 2035 is because the Wilpon's were making a 12% return from Madoff and thought they would come out ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Hader is a goner. I don't think his value will ever be higher. He was just recently granted Super-2 so he's going to get expensive quicker than planned. And his HR rate last year was alarming. Sell high and plug some holes. Remember this post when it happens.
Agree with this.  Pitchers like him typically don't have long careers to begin with and they have a bunch of holes to fill.  Might as well trade him as his value isn't going to get any higher.  Love him as a player but I think this is the direction they should go.

Yes. 

They have a lower payroll today than they had like 8 years ago. They get insurance money on enormous contracts for guys who are sidelined and actually admit to the fans that they won’t reinvest those payments back into the team. They claim poverty because of Madoff but print money between the tv network and all their other business interests. They accept peanuts back with certain trades because they’d rather dump a guy’s $2mm in remaining salary instead of actually getting an asset. They basically do the opposite of what all their big market competitors do. 

Oh and none of that from the money side has anything to do with how they (specifically Jeff, the son) micromanage damn near everything in the organization from how they teach hitting at lower levels, to the medical staff, to the ticket office. If you have an hour (seriously) I can point you to an impeccably sourced article chronicling all of this over the past decade. 

Yes. 

They have a lower payroll today than they had like 8 years ago. They get insurance money on enormous contracts for guys who are sidelined and actually admit to the fans that they won’t reinvest those payments back into the team. They claim poverty because of Madoff but print money between the tv network and all their other business interests. They accept peanuts back with certain trades because they’d rather dump a guy’s $2mm in remaining salary instead of actually getting an asset. They basically do the opposite of what all their big market competitors do. 

Oh and none of that from the money side has anything to do with how they (specifically Jeff, the son) micromanage damn near everything in the organization from how they teach hitting at lower levels, to the medical staff, to the ticket office. If you have an hour (seriously) I can point you to an impeccably sourced article chronicling all of this over the past decade. 
I know a guy that might like to read it.  Can you email link to cbeltran@cctvpartsdirect.com?

only thing that scares me is the 5 year thing.   make this like a band-aid and just rip it off.  cohen will becomes the richest mlb owner and is a met fan, not a brooklyn dodger fan.  maybe this will end the cano like financial garbage.  then, get rid of van wagenen and get some real baseball people in here that might not work on the cheap for a chance for a job.  good riddance to the coupon family.

If Hader can't add a 3rd pitch he's gone. Guys are just sitting on his fastball and it will only get worse. Would love to see Castellanos and Donaldson in a Brewer uniform next year
Sure, but they sat on fastball all season and he blew it by them by picking his spot on the corners.  Wasn't there a stretch where he threw something like 30-some fastballs in a row and no one got a hit?  That's impressive.  Usually guys have heat or pinpoint accuracy.  Rare for them to have both.

TheIronSheik said:
Sure, but they sat on fastball all season and he blew it by them by picking his spot on the corners.  Wasn't there a stretch where he threw something like 30-some fastballs in a row and no one got a hit?  That's impressive.  Usually guys have heat or pinpoint accuracy.  Rare for them to have both.
with hader, i don’t think it’s the speed, it’s the deception that seems to have worn off IMO.  guys at this level can hit straight hard stuff they can see.  hader, from the hitters eye, must not allow them to pick the ball up.  but if you watch enough film and study, you can catch where he comes from.  hader reminds me a bit of a harder throwing sid fernandez.  sid Kd guys like crazy with a fastball and slurve, but threw maybe 89?  i think cause he was so fat, guys couldn’t see the ball until it was on top of them.

Marisnick traded.  I know there was no room for him, but he was a great guy.  Htown will miss him.

Interesting to see that the Padres have given zero indication they are going after Cole or Strasburg.  

Reds and Cards in on Madbum.  Sounds like a deal could be coming soon.  Maybe not to one of those two teams, but to someone.  

:lol:   At Wheeler excuse... unless I'm wrong his wife is from a part of NJ thats way closer to NY than Philly

EDIT:  DOH - he turned down White Sox not Mets - CARRY ON

:lol:   At Wheeler excuse... unless I'm wrong his wife is from a part of NJ thats way closer to NY than Philly

EDIT:  DOH - he turned down White Sox not Mets - CARRY ON
Yeah, that's why it was so funny.  EZ literally just said that no one would turn down more money to make his wife happy, referring to Cole.  Than Wheeler signed with Philly even though CWS offered more money because she wanted to be closer to home.  

It's that old axiom that as soon as you state something definitively on the internet, a situation will occur to prove you completely wrong within 24 hours. :lol:

Yeah, that's why it was so funny.  EZ literally just said that no one would turn down more money to make his wife happy, referring to Cole.  Than Wheeler signed with Philly even though CWS offered more money because she wanted to be closer to home.  

It's that old axiom that as soon as you state something definitively on the internet, a situation will occur to prove you completely wrong within 24 hours. :lol:
Wheeler was the first person to ever turn down more money and his wife is the first person to ever want to live closer to New Jersey.

The whole thing is just mind bottling. 

Hot Stove After Dark

Tampa acquires OF Hunter Renfroe and 2B prospect Xavier Edwards from the Padres for OF Tommy Pham and an as yet unnamed infield prospect.

Tough to call until the fourth player is identified but Pham is the best player involved.  He is four years older than Renfroe and has less team control.  Renfroe has tremendous power and should benefit from a different ballpark.

ETA:  The final piece headed to San Diego is Jake Cronenworth.  He's closer to the majors than Edwards and played three infield positions _and_ pitcher in AAA last year.  He was a college closer who was clocked at 96 in the minors.  Fun trade.

Hot Stove After Dark

Tampa acquires OF Hunter Renfroe and 2B prospect Xavier Edwards from the Padres for OF Tommy Pham and an as yet unnamed infield prospect.

Tough to call until the fourth player is identified but Pham is the best player involved.  He is four years older than Renfroe and has less team control.  Renfroe has tremendous power and should benefit from a different ballpark.

ETA:  The final piece headed to San Diego is Jake Cronenworth.  He's closer to the majors than Edwards and played three infield positions _and_ pitcher in AAA last year.  He was a college closer who was clocked at 96 in the minors.  Fun trade.
Sounds like a lot of people are saying SD got hosed in this deal.

Hot Stove After Dark

Pham is the best player involved but Edwards has highest ceiling.

Pirates asking price for Marte sounds like it's high.  Not quite sure I understand what the Pirates are doing.  For the past couple of years they seem to be in a rebuilding process but also trying to get good players.  Not sure that strategy will work.  Pick a lane, Bucs.

Reds and Cards in on Madbum.  Sounds like a deal could be coming soon.  Maybe not to one of those two teams, but to someone.  
Coming in to Hot Stove, i thought MadBum was a Natural for the Bravos. Close to home, anchor for a young staff. Don't the Braves have  FA budget anymore?

Pham is the best player involved but Edwards has highest ceiling.
Prospects usually do but for Edwards to reach that ceiling he'll have to develop some power and prove he can handle SS defensively.  He's young and has an excellent hit tool so that may happen but the Padres have seem him and evidently prefer some of their other MI prospects.

The Rays don't lose many trades though.

Users who are viewing this thread