Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2019 MLB Off Season

11 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Are you thinking/hoping it's a position player or pitcher?  And do they get rid of Hader to get the second shoe?

If Hader can't add a 3rd pitch he's gone. Guys are just sitting on his fastball and it will only get worse. Would love to see Castellanos and Donaldson in a Brewer uniform next year

• Like 2

really hoping the mets can reel in kevin pillar.  what a get this would be for them!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:

If Hader can't add a 3rd pitch he's gone. Guys are just sitting on his fastball and it will only get worse. Would love to see Castellanos and Donaldson in a Brewer uniform next year

Sure, but they sat on fastball all season and he blew it by them by picking his spot on the corners.  Wasn't there a stretch where he threw something like 30-some fastballs in a row and no one got a hit?  That's impressive.  Usually guys have heat or pinpoint accuracy.  Rare for them to have both.

16 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Wheeler turned down a larger offer from the Chicago White Sox that was in excess of $120 million, sources told Passan. - Per ESPN

Figures it finally happens for the first time in history when I make a big deal out of it. :bag: 

Glad it did though! 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Sure, but they sat on fastball all season and he blew it by them by picking his spot on the corners.  Wasn't there a stretch where he threw something like 30-some fastballs in a row and no one got a hit?  That's impressive.  Usually guys have heat or pinpoint accuracy.  Rare for them to have both.

with hader, i don’t think it’s the speed, it’s the deception that seems to have worn off IMO.  guys at this level can hit straight hard stuff they can see.  hader, from the hitters eye, must not allow them to pick the ball up.  but if you watch enough film and study, you can catch where he comes from.  hader reminds me a bit of a harder throwing sid fernandez.  sid Kd guys like crazy with a fastball and slurve, but threw maybe 89?  i think cause he was so fat, guys couldn’t see the ball until it was on top of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-Z Glider said:

Figures it finally happens for the first time in history when I make a big deal out of it. :bag: 

Glad it did though! 

if the mets retained wheeler, would it have been the first time a guy played for someone he was traded for (beltran)?

Marisnick traded.  I know there was no room for him, but he was a great guy.  Htown will miss him.

Interesting to see that the Padres have given zero indication they are going after Cole or Strasburg.  

Reds and Cards in on Madbum.  Sounds like a deal could be coming soon.  Maybe not to one of those two teams, but to someone.  

:lol:  At Wheeler excuse... unless I'm wrong his wife is from a part of NJ thats way closer to NY than Philly

EDIT:  DOH - he turned down White Sox not Mets - CARRY ON

Edited by belljr

8 minutes ago, belljr said:

:lol:  At Wheeler excuse... unless I'm wrong his wife is from a part of NJ thats way closer to NY than Philly

EDIT:  DOH - he turned down White Sox not Mets - CARRY ON

Yeah, that's why it was so funny.  EZ literally just said that no one would turn down more money to make his wife happy, referring to Cole.  Than Wheeler signed with Philly even though CWS offered more money because she wanted to be closer to home.  

It's that old axiom that as soon as you state something definitively on the internet, a situation will occur to prove you completely wrong within 24 hours. :lol:

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Damn Cole to the Yankees 6-250

I'm not seeing this anywhere.  Is this true?

36 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yeah, that's why it was so funny.  EZ literally just said that no one would turn down more money to make his wife happy, referring to Cole.  Than Wheeler signed with Philly even though CWS offered more money because she wanted to be closer to home.  

It's that old axiom that as soon as you state something definitively on the internet, a situation will occur to prove you completely wrong within 24 hours. :lol:

Wheeler was the first person to ever turn down more money and his wife is the first person to ever want to live closer to New Jersey.

The whole thing is just mind bottling. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

4 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

From Passan

For as bad as I've been ragging on Keuchel, I feel like it's guaranteed he signs with the Phils this offseason.

6 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

:bag:

idiot in my baseball group posted this from a fake passan account , sorry

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, HellToupee said:

I was doing all kinds of Google searches and getting nothing back.  I thought maybe my internet was slow or something.  :lol:

Hot Stove After Dark

Tampa acquires OF Hunter Renfroe and 2B prospect Xavier Edwards from the Padres for OF Tommy Pham and an as yet unnamed infield prospect.

Tough to call until the fourth player is identified but Pham is the best player involved.  He is four years older than Renfroe and has less team control.  Renfroe has tremendous power and should benefit from a different ballpark.

ETA:  The final piece headed to San Diego is Jake Cronenworth.  He's closer to the majors than Edwards and played three infield positions _and_ pitcher in AAA last year.  He was a college closer who was clocked at 96 in the minors.  Fun trade.

Edited by Eephus

6 hours ago, Eephus said:

Hot Stove After Dark

Tampa acquires OF Hunter Renfroe and 2B prospect Xavier Edwards from the Padres for OF Tommy Pham and an as yet unnamed infield prospect.

Tough to call until the fourth player is identified but Pham is the best player involved.  He is four years older than Renfroe and has less team control.  Renfroe has tremendous power and should benefit from a different ballpark.

ETA:  The final piece headed to San Diego is Jake Cronenworth.  He's closer to the majors than Edwards and played three infield positions _and_ pitcher in AAA last year.  He was a college closer who was clocked at 96 in the minors.  Fun trade.

Sounds like a lot of people are saying SD got hosed in this deal.

6 hours ago, Eephus said:

Hot Stove After Dark

Pham is the best player involved but Edwards has highest ceiling.

• Like 1

Pirates asking price for Marte sounds like it's high.  Not quite sure I understand what the Pirates are doing.  For the past couple of years they seem to be in a rebuilding process but also trying to get good players.  Not sure that strategy will work.  Pick a lane, Bucs.

16 hours ago, HellToupee said:

I see that the Yanks are putting all of their efforts into Cole.  I think this deal will get done soon and you're "call" on his contract could look brilliant. :lol:

18 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Reds and Cards in on Madbum.  Sounds like a deal could be coming soon.  Maybe not to one of those two teams, but to someone.  

A little disorienting to actually see the Reds active in FA, but I'm glad they finally shot the lock off Castellini's wallet.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Coming in to Hot Stove, i thought MadBum was a Natural for the Bravos. Close to home, anchor for a young staff. Don't the Braves have  FA budget anymore?

Royals added Rusty Kun.tz back to being 1st base coach this year.  He has great hair.

That's all I got...

:kicksrock:

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Coming in to Hot Stove, i thought MadBum was a Natural for the Bravos. Close to home, anchor for a young staff. Don't the Braves have  FA budget anymore?

They've pretty much signed half of the FA's that have signed so far.  They are very active.

5 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Pham is the best player involved but Edwards has highest ceiling.

Prospects usually do but for Edwards to reach that ceiling he'll have to develop some power and prove he can handle SS defensively.  He's young and has an excellent hit tool so that may happen but the Padres have seem him and evidently prefer some of their other MI prospects.

The Rays don't lose many trades though.

Kyle Gibson to Texas for 3/$28M.

Eat innings, get rich.

6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Eat innings, get rich.

DFW is perfect for him. He can join Zeke E for a banquet of meaningless yards & innings

• Laughing 1

25 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Eat innings, get rich.

Didn't this happen last month? :confused:

Heyman says the Phils are actively in on Rendon, Strasburg and Cole.  He said they are looking to make another big splash this offseason but they are trying to do it in a quieter manner this year.  i.e. Not talking about stupid money.

Out of those three, I'd prefer they go after Rendon the hardest.

4 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Heyman says the Phils are actively in on Rendon, Strasburg and Cole.  He said they are looking to make another big splash this offseason but they are trying to do it in a quieter manner this year.  i.e. Not talking about stupid money.

Alec Bohm is a year away and even with the addition of Wheeler, they still need pitching.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Oddly, report just comes across that Rendon is now the Phillies top priority.  Makes sense why they passed on going after Moustakas now.  

1 minute ago, Eephus said:

Alec Bohm is a year away and even with the addition of Wheeler, they still need pitching.

If it turns out Nola just had an off year and Arrietta can get healthy, they have a pretty decent staff.  

47 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

All 3 of these guys are Boras clients and Heyman is a Boras puppet. Just driving up the perceived demand.

• Like 1

Nola, Arrieta, Wheeler, Velasquez, Elfin, Pivetta, Eickoff, 

Robertson, Dominguez, Neris

Let's say they add Strasburg (or Cole).......That's all your SP innings guys and main relievers are right handed.  :shrug:

16 hours ago, Eephus said:

Hot Stove After Dark

Edwards is a slapdick prospect

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, shadyridr said:

Edwards is a slapdick prospect

From @paintingcorner on Twitter, MLB Slapdick+ metrics since 2002.  Here are your top ten

1. Joey Gathright
  2. Luis Castillo
  3. Dee Gordon
  4. Wilson Valdez
  5. Nori Aoki
  6. Tony Womack
  7. Mallex Smith
  8. Ichiro Suzuki
  9. Ben Revere
  10. Emilio Bonifacio

I've owned almost of these guys in fantasy while chasing SB. :bag:

Xavier Edwards currently fits the slapdick hitter mold.  He only has 36 XBH in over 750 minor league PAs.  He turned 20 in August but seems like he could still add some muscle to his frame.

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

From @paintingcorner on Twitter, MLB Slapdick+ metrics since 2002.  Here are your top ten

1. Joey Gathright
  2. Luis Castillo
  3. Dee Gordon
  4. Wilson Valdez
  5. Nori Aoki
  6. Tony Womack
  7. Mallex Smith
  8. Ichiro Suzuki
  9. Ben Revere
  10. Emilio Bonifacio

I've owned almost of these guys in fantasy while chasing SB. :bag:

Xavier Edwards currently fits the slapdick hitter mold.  He only has 36 XBH in over 750 minor league PAs.  He turned 20 in August but seems like he could still add some muscle to his frame.

That's what Blake Snell called him not me 

3 hours ago, shadyridr said:

That's what Blake Snell called him not me 

Snell knows things

7 hours ago, guru_007 said:

Nola, Arrieta, Wheeler, Velasquez, Elfin, Pivetta, Eickoff, 

Robertson, Dominguez, Neris

Let's say they add Strasburg (or Cole).......That's all your SP innings guys and main relievers are right handed.  :shrug:

Worked ok for the Astros.

Astros had 2 hall of famers and another guy who will likely be the highest paid pitcher in MLB history.  Not sure the Phils have anything close to it.  

Point taken that in can be done,.  

Jordan Lyles who helped the Brewers and a lot of fantasy teams down the stretch this year gets paid by Texas 2/$16M.

The Rangers rotation now is Lyles, Kyle Gibson, Lance Lynn, Mike Minor and Kolby Allard.  No superstars but solid.

Marcell Ozuna to sign with the White Sox on Monday. Not the signing I want (need pitching) but having Ozuna in right every day is a hell of a lot better than what they were trotting out there this summer. Still a defensive liability but I'll take my chances there...

7 hours ago, Eephus said:

Jordan Lyles who helped the Brewers and a lot of fantasy teams down the stretch this year gets paid by Texas 2/$16M.

The Rangers rotation now is Lyles, Kyle Gibson, Lance Lynn, Mike Minor and Kolby Allard.  No superstars but solid.

Is there any word on how the new stadium is expected to play, whether pitcher or hitters park? 

13 hours ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

Marcell Ozuna to sign with the White Sox on Monday. Not the signing I want (need pitching) but having Ozuna in right every day is a hell of a lot better than what they were trotting out there this summer. Still a defensive liability but I'll take my chances there...

Haven't seen this confirmed yet.  But if so I hope for your sake he is playing LF.  His arm is not up to playing RF.  Heck, saying defensive liability is understating how bad he would be in right.  And I say this as a guy who is a Cards fan and likes Ozuna.  He is a heck of a nice guy just lacks OF instincts and arm.