Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2019 MLB Off Season

4 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The system is likely to change during the nine year run of Cole's deal.

Could change in two years.  And really it only matters a lot if you've gone over three years.  So a lot of teams that have not gone over can be thinking that making a big signing won't matter that much because the third year will be when it changes.

Crazy to hear that the Dodgers didn't make an offer to Rendon because they felt he didn't want to play in LA.  Only for the other LA team to sign him.

Whoopsie.

38 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Only for the other LA team to sign him.

:confused:     There is no other team on LA.   OC is vastly different from LA.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

:confused:     There is no other team on LA.   OC is vastly different from LA.  

They are literally called the LA Angels.  So I think it's OK to call them "the other LA team."

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

They are literally called the LA Angels.  So I think it's OK to call them "the other LA team."

definitely not LA though, just a dumb name.

Just now, CGRdrJoe said:

only there for marketing purposes

28 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

28 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

only there for marketing purposes

I think you guys are being too literal.  I don't think the report meant he didn't want to live in that small area of LA.  I think it meant the Dodgers didn't think he had an interest playing in southern CA.  

34 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Jose Peraza to the Sox for 3mil , not earth shattering but I like it

Guess that means no more Holt

8 hours ago, Jamesinaz said:

Not sure how you determine this.  Career WAR is 46 Munson and 50 Simmons.  Other stats also favor Simmons.  Munson might have been better had he had a longer career but it is what it is.  

In either case both great players.

eye test and hardware i think.  munson with the shorter career, but 2 rings, ROY and MVP.  some GGs too?  AS games pretty close, but simmons played 8 more years?  i am not a WAR guy, but if munson played another 5 years he’d of had a higher WAR i assume?  

1 hour ago, Chemical X said:

eye test and hardware i think.  munson with the shorter career, but 2 rings, ROY and MVP.  some GGs too?  AS games pretty close, but simmons played 8 more years?  i am not a WAR guy, but if munson played another 5 years he’d of had a higher WAR i assume?  

Sad day when Munson died.  I've a friend who was briefly a catcher for the yanks in 1979 with Munson.  His career ended pretty much when he and Richetti were hit from behind by a drunk driver.  Munson was a great player no doubt.  As was Simmons.  As a Cards fan I think Simmons HOF entry is long overdue and glad to see it.  

42 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i've seen every Yankee since the Mazeroski homer & i'll take Munson over all of em but the Mick

Rivers?

6 hours ago, Eephus said:

Rivers?

i was in the Fenway bleachers the night a buncha guys started throwing machine bolts at Rivers for his part (largely running around a scrum, rabbit-punching opponents in the back of the head) in a previous Yankee/RedSox melee

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Makes sense. Guess they didn’t bother to get it for Ellsbury?

Yanks had insurance on Ellsbury. Mets had insurance on Wright. 

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

Yanks had insurance on Ellsbury. Mets had insurance on Wright. 

So they are not paying him and collecting insurance?

1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

So they are not paying him and collecting insurance?

Correct but he still counts against luxury tax

Yeah, the insurance only matters if you have an actual stake in the Steinbrenner fortune. Its basically meaningless to the rest of the world.

10 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

i was in the Fenway bleachers the night a buncha guys started throwing machine bolts at Rivers for his part (largely running around a scrum, rabbit-punching opponents in the back of the head) in a previous Yankee/RedSox melee

Rivers' arm wasn't strong enough to throw them back.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Rivers' arm wasn't strong enough to throw them back.

If i'm not mistaken, i remember one of his relays to 2nd rolling to a stop

On 12/12/2019 at 2:02 PM, TheIronSheik said:

I think you guys are being too literal.  I don't think the report meant he didn't want to live in that small area of LA.  I think it meant the Dodgers didn't think he had an interest playing in southern CA.  

on MLB TV right now at the Angels presser, "I don't think the Hollywood atmosphere lifestyle is a good fit for us."    That means exactly that he didn't want to live in the LA area.

Anyone seen where Manfred is talking about getting rid of all of minor league baseball? I’ve seen a lot of people tweeting about it. 

32 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Anyone seen where Manfred is talking about getting rid of all of minor league baseball? I’ve seen a lot of people tweeting about it. 

MLB's plan is to reduce the number of MiLB teams from 160 to 118 beginning in 2021.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:24 AM, wikkidpissah said:

Is this the game you are referencing? Piniella bowled over Fisk at the plate, and mayhem ensued.

https://youtu.be/ohQaOO_mTzs?t=79  

That's your melee, right there. I wasn't there for that, but i went the next time the Yanks were in town and, in the center field bleachers (which were sealed off for all but Yankee games in those pre-sellout days) there were guys throwing stuff they specifically brought (batteries, bolts) to chuck at Rivers. I believe he wore a batting helmet to play CF in Fenway for the rest of his Yankee career.

47 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

That's your melee, right there. I wasn't there for that, but i went the next time the Yanks were in town and, in the center field bleachers (which were sealed off for all but Yankee games in those pre-sellout days) there were guys throwing stuff they specifically brought (batteries, bolts) to chuck at Rivers. I believe he wore a batting helmet to play CF in Fenway for the rest of his Yankee career.

The advance preparation required to bring projectiles to a baseball game is what really sets Boston/NY/Philly fans apart. :thumbup:

• Like 1

@Ken_Rosenthal: Kluber to #Rangers is close, sources tell The Athletic.

@ThreeTwoEephus: Am hearing that Emmanuel Clase will be part of the return to Cleveland in the Kluber trade.

8 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

@ThreeTwoEephus: Am hearing that Emmanuel Clase will be part of the return to Cleveland in the Kluber trade.

Delino DeShields Jr also going over. Man, Kluber’s value took a big hit last year.

17 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Clase is a 21 year old Dominican pitcher. which means he'll turn 24 in a few weeks.

@ThreeTwoEephus: Those are not going to be the only two names in this trade, but for Indians fans reading this: Emmanuel Clase throws a 101mph *cutter*. Wrote a bit about him here: https://theathletic.com/1118819/2019/08/06/weaver-wire-chapter-18-too-many-cooks-i-mean-strikes-wait-too-many-strikes/

• Like 1

@Ken_Rosenthal: Bumgarner to #Dbacks, five years, $85M, $15M deferred, sources tell The Athletic. First with agreement: @JeffPassan.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Don Quixote said:
5 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Delino DeShields Jr also going over. Man, Kluber’s value took a big hit last year.

Surprised Cleveland couldn't get more that that for Kluber.  He has two years left at Tanner Roark money and the second is a club option with a low buyout number.

DeShields is much better in fantasy than real life but it's tough to predict PAs in the Cleveland OF.

48 minutes ago, Jules Winnfield said:

Twins are doing nothing 

They've expanded their gap to Cleveland

On 12/12/2019 at 9:32 AM, =Smackdown= said:

Mets are right up against the luxury tax and need two 40-man roster spots. Expect a trade.

Mets just saved at least $10 million by restructuring Yoenis Cespedes’ contract for 2020. The full details aren’t out yet, but it appears that Cespedes agreed to this in order to avoid an investigation into the “fall” that he took on his ranch which caused his rehab to be extended.

Chris Mazza was DFA’d to make room for Wacha. The Porcello deal not officially finalized yet, but will have to DFA one more once it is.

10 hours ago, Jules Winnfield said:

Twins are doing nothing 

What can they do?

Rule change for next year: 3 batter minimum for pitchers. Unless they finish a half inning or get injured. 

• Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Rule change for next year: 3 batter minimum for pitchers. Unless they finish a half inning or get injured. 

Seems like everyone hates this one. Numbers guys say it will save 44 seconds per game. Getting "injured" leaves the door open for inevitable shenanigans. :thumbdown:

44 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Love it

31 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Crazy to let a legend like MadBum walk.  Contract seems about right too.

Weird. Its not like the Giants are opposed to spending money even now.

29 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Seems like everyone hates this one. Numbers guys say it will save 44 seconds per game. Getting "injured" leaves the door open for inevitable shenanigans. :thumbdown:

I saw that figure too but it seems very low. How much time does a single pitching change take between mound visit, calling the guy, him coming out, and tossing warm up pitches? 

2 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Love it

I'm good with it.  I doubt it'll make much a difference in overall game length but will certainly affect the usage of the situational lefty.  Those guys that can only get lefties out will be less use to a manager. 

2 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I saw that figure too but it seems very low. How much time does a single pitching change take between mound visit, calling the guy, him coming out, and tossing warm up pitches? 

Each pitching change takes about 2.5 minutes. The 44 seconds is an average and according to MLB.com there were appx 800 of these future "illiegal" appearances over the whole season. 800 * 150 seconds = 120,000 seconds over 2430 games is appx 49 seconds so the numbers make sense. Basically games in which this wouldn't happen would have no change in time and games in which this would happen would save at LEAST 2.5 minutes.

I like it from the strategy perspective.

1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

Why do relievers even need warm up pitches? Aren’t they already warmed up?

See page 9 of this thread

3 batters rule is stupid.  Baseball needs to stop trying to fix what ain't broken.  Are they going to enforce it in a world series game when a reliever comes in and can't find the strike zone?  I doubt it.  

• Like 2