What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (7 Viewers)

I saw that no players will be suspended.  Which is odd, because they basically said that this was devised by the players.  They said the penalties will be on par with what the NCAA does with their lack of control or whatever.  After discovering that other teams are doing similar things, I think MLB should've waited to hand down a punishment.  It's going to suck that the Astros get the brunt of the punishment, then in 5 months find out that half the teams are doing the same thing.
You sound like a pats fan defending spygate. It's pretty sad. Everyone but you predicted this was gonna be a HUGE punishment. 

And take that a step further. If Hinch knew, then Cora knew.  How do they punish Cora?
Cora will definitely get suspended after that new Athletic article.

Certainly, the Red Sox will be punished by MLB as well – perhaps harshly, given the repeat offender nature of the alleged actions by both franchise and manager Alex Cora, an Astros bench coach in 2017. Their crimes do not match the Astros, who are technically on trial for sign-stealing but also may bear the brunt of a visceral disdain stemming from any number of events, most recently the Taubman debacle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also said from the beginning, if they got caught cheating, they should face punishment.  All that I was implying with my last post was maybe hold off on the sentencing phase until we finish the investigation.  I don't care if the Astros get fined or whatever.  My point was that if they come down with a harsh fine on Houston and then figure out that 10 other teams were doing similar things, it'll seem odd to punish everyone severely.  At least IMO.  If you finish the investigation and you determine it was only 3 teams, then you throw the book at them.  

I guess that makes me as bad as a Pats fan.

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

BREAKING: Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for one year after an MLB investigation found the team used technology to cheat during its World Series-winning 2017 season, sources familiar with the punishment tell ESPN.

ETA more from Ken Rosenthal:

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
BREAKING: Per sources, MLB’s penalties for #Astros include:

*One-year suspensions for GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch.

*Losses of 1st and 2nd round draft picks in both 2020 and ‘21.

*A fine of $5M. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

BREAKING: Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for one year after an MLB investigation found the team used technology to cheat during its World Series-winning 2017 season, sources familiar with the punishment tell ESPN.

ETA more from Ken Rosenthal:

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
BREAKING: Per sources, MLB’s penalties for #Astros include:

*One-year suspensions for GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch.

*Losses of 1st and 2nd round draft picks in both 2020 and ‘21.

*A fine of $5M. 
I think the biggest thing here is the Hinch fine.  That's going to hurt them the most.

Those lost draft picks are pretty hefty, though. Doesn't seem like much but as good as the Astros draft, that one is a kick in the sack.
Not saying that's not a big deal, but I still think the biggest blow is losing Hinch for the year.  Again, not saying the rest isn't bad, but I think that's the biggest kick in the sack.

I think the biggest thing here is the Hinch fine.  That's going to hurt them the most.
They’re toast. 

They might be above average this year and back into the playoffs. 

Springer will leave after the year and maybe they have a fire sale for others that are good. It’s been a fun few years at least. 

They’re toast. 

They might be above average this year and back into the playoffs. 

Springer will leave after the year and maybe they have a fire sale for others that are good. It’s been a fun few years at least. 
I don't think it will be that bad.  And honestly, even before this came out, I was saying the Astros only have 1 or 2 more years left of dominating the AL West because other teams were getting better and the Astros were getting older.  It's cyclical.  You can't be great forever.  The fans will still love the players, so why would they leave this team?  

Lol 

I don’t have anything against the Astros, downright like guys like little second baseman whose name eludes me, but that is just outrageous they got busted for that. 
Altuve. I'm not a fan of "taking away championships" in any sport or sense.  It just seems silly.  Everyone knows who won.  It's such a silly thing to me.  I mean, I get what you're saying.  But it just seems strange to take a championship away from someone.  It would be as silly to make the 1919 Reds play another team afterwards because it wasn't fair they were handed a championship.

Again, I totally get what you're saying, but I just don't think it would do anything.  Everyone in Houston would still celebrate that championship.  Do the Dodgers just get named the new Champ?  

Altuve. I'm not a fan of "taking away championships" in any sport or sense.  It just seems silly.  Everyone knows who won.  It's such a silly thing to me.  I mean, I get what you're saying.  But it just seems strange to take a championship away from someone.  It would be as silly to make the 1919 Reds play another team afterwards because it wasn't fair they were handed a championship.

Again, I totally get what you're saying, but I just don't think it would do anything.  Everyone in Houston would still celebrate that championship.  Do the Dodgers just get named the new Champ?  
Nah it is dumb for sure. It was dumb when CFB tried to do it to USC. But it would have to bother somebody tremendously to have that done right? The owner, team prez, etc. Imagine being told to take your only WS banner down. That would have to be painful. 

When the NCAA pulls it (like Louisville a few years back), they just vacate it.  No declared champion.  Houston would be forced to take down its banner, but nobody would put one up.

Nah it is dumb for sure. It was dumb when CFB tried to do it to USC. But it would have to bother somebody tremendously to have that done right? The owner, team prez, etc. Imagine being told to take your only WS banner down. That would have to be painful. 
Probably just don’t want to open up that can of worms where “cheating” can lead to vacating a title. Do it with Houston and you’ll get people complaining that it should also happen with those steroid-heavy teams. 

Not saying it’s right...

When the NCAA pulls it (like Louisville a few years back), they just vacate it.  No declared champion.  Houston would be forced to take down its banner, but nobody would put one up.
Right.  And I'm saying that's silly.  And I've always said that about vacating wins, whether it was a team I rooted for or rooted against.  I just think it's, for lack of a better word, dumb.

As a Phillies fan, it would be good to see the Astros get in more trouble than they did.  But, boy I tell ya, it's days like this I'm thankful, as a Phillies fan, my team hasn't been involved in any nefarious doings. 

Right?  As a Phillies fan, I'm disgusted.  Just beside myself with anger.  Again, as a Phillies fan, I'm just glad to see that this has been taken care of.  Sickening, really.
I just wish the M's would have picked up some tricks.

Seriously though they told the teams to knock it off after the watch incident with the Red Sox.  If they were dumb enough to email each other about this they kind of have it coming.

Sounds like Cora is going to get crushed as well.

I just wish the M's would have picked up some tricks.

Seriously though they told the teams to knock it off after the watch incident with the Red Sox.  If they were dumb enough to email each other about this they kind of have it coming.

Sounds like Cora is going to get crushed as well.
Yeah, there's nothing worse than getting caught after you've been told clearly not to do it.  And as someone else pointed out, they didn't even really try to hide what they were doing.  If you're going to cheat, cheat smart.  

Seems that Beltran was the only player mentioned in the report, but won’t be punished. I guess that’s MLB’s way of putting heat on him now that he’s a manager, without having to punish him directly. (Disclaimer- I’m a Mets fan, thus the interest.)

Seeing some tweets that say it’s essentially a lifetime ban for Hinch and Luhnow because they’ll likely be blackballed by the rest of mlb. I could see that happening. 

If they’d have just gotten the last 8 outs against Washington I’d be ok with everything that’s going to happen. 

Go from the absolute high of Altuve hitting that homer and literally right after the game everything just started crumbling. Sports are a cruel mistress. 

Seeing some tweets that say it’s essentially a lifetime ban for Hinch and Luhnow because they’ll likely be blackballed by the rest of mlb. I could see that happening. 

If they’d have just gotten the last 8 outs against Washington I’d be ok with everything that’s going to happen. 

Go from the absolute high of Altuve hitting that homer and literally right after the game everything just started crumbling. Sports are a cruel mistress. 
Hinch will be back next year for them, guaranteed. 

Wow.  Stiff penalty for the Stros.   It will be a shame if this is the start of their demise.  Fun team to watch, full of talent.  

Yeah, that's a pretty massive penalty.  I mean, I was expecting Luhnow to get suspended for a year, I thought Hinch maybe 50 or 80 games or something.  I mean, ffs, it takes multiple drug testing failures for a player to get suspended for a half year.

Losing 1st and 2nd round picks for two years just icing on the cake.  Really harsh penalty.  

Far worse punishment than the one for the Cardinals hacking them. Forgot who it was that asked me if they deserved worse and I said yes.

Alex Cora is in BIG trouble. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets banned - 

Link

Cora was involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs. Cora participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players’ conduct. Manfred said Cora's discipline won't be determined until MLB's investigation into allegations the Red Sox stole signs electronically in 2018 with Cora as manager was completed.

Users who are viewing this thread