Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2020 MLB Spring Training

Recommended Posts

Manfred met with all teams in Florida today and warned them about retaliation by pitchers throwing at Astros.  Tomorrow he will do the same in Arizona.

Boy, I hope no one cheats by breaking the rules to throw at them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

Manfred met with all teams in Florida today and warned them about retaliation by pitchers throwing at Astros.  Tomorrow he will do the same in Arizona.

Boy, I hope no one cheats by breaking the rules to throw at them.  

They should have thrown at Manfred. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB Network had Bull Durham playing when Manfred was speaking.

What the ****?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiefD said:

They should have thrown at Manfred. 

I'm not sure I understand the hatred towards him right now.  Because he wouldn't strip the title?  That's crazy talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brett Gardner files restraining order against obsessed fan

Though Devasahayam, 46,  and Gardner, 36, have never met, she has claimed in her lawsuit that the outfielder has hinted that he is interested in her.

Devasahayam says in the suit that a video of Gardner in the dugout shows that he “motions with his hip on the stairs as though he is having sexual intercourse with me,” according to NJ.com.   :oldunsure:

 

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Manfred met with all teams in Florida today and warned them about retaliation by pitchers throwing at Astros.  Tomorrow he will do the same in Arizona.

Boy, I hope no one cheats by breaking the rules to throw at them.  

So a player who hits an Astros batter with a pitch could be punished more severely than the Astros players who cheated. Makes sense.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GroveDiesel said:

So a player who hits an Astros batter with a pitch could be punished more severely than the Astros players who cheated. Makes sense.

I would say that's EXACTLY what I said.  It couldn't have been more clearer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could literally kill someone with a baseball. This whole thing getting crazy. 

It’s just supposed to be mindless entertainment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

You could literally kill someone with a baseball. This whole thing getting crazy. 

It’s just supposed to be mindless entertainment. 

Wait.  Are you implying that killing someone is WORSE than stealing signs?!?  

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

On a serious note, I thought it was interesting that Manfred said the main reason they didn't go after the players was because even though teams were told not to use electronics anymore that season, that information wasn't passed along to the players.  And he said if they would have tried to suspend players, grievances would have followed and they would have almost certainly lost those cases.  

Weirdly, I personally don't blame the players as much as management.  Of course players will try to get an edge.  That's where the manager and GM need to be the adults in the room.  The Astros front office culture under Luhnow was toxic and reprehensible.  Hinch was a coward who destroyed monitors but refused to tell his own players to stop doing something he knew was wrong. 

Most of the players said they would have stopped if told. :shrug:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 8:26 AM, TheIronSheik said:

Nope.  But they are still doing better than most Americans.

Most American make less than 1500/mo and only get paid six months a year?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

 

Jesus, listen to yourselves.  I couldn't imagine getting this upset over a game. 

:coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Hagen said:

Weirdly, I personally don't blame the players as much as management.  Of course players will try to get an edge.  That's where the manager and GM need to be the adults in the room.  The Astros front office culture under Luhnow was toxic and reprehensible.  Hinch was a coward who destroyed monitors but refused to tell his own players to stop doing something he knew was wrong. 

Most of the players said they would have stopped if told. :shrug:

Can you unpack this a little more?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

Most American make less than 1500/mo and only get paid six months a year?

 

That's taken out of context.  I've gone over this already, GB, but the argument was about the minor leaguers involved in the trade that fell through.  Those minor leaguers were millionaires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

Can you unpack this a little more?  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredwyllys/2020/01/14/the-culture-jeff-luhnow-created/#3aedba953649

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27926780/the-houston-astros-front-office-missteps-began-long-brandon-taubman-comments

I don't want to beat a dead horse but the Astros treatment of Stephanie Apstein was horrific and they almost got away with it.  I have no doubt that was all Luhnow choosing to ruin a woman's reputation to protect a misogynist dbag assistant GM.  They not only lied about what happened, they went out of their way to publicly accuse her of fabricating the story. After they were exposed they had to be publicly shamed into apologizing to her. 

Add in denying a Detroit reporter access against MLB rules and spiking the memo about electronic sign stealing.  Manfred's report even spoke about a culture problem in the front office:

Quote

But while no one can dispute that Luhnow’s baseball operations department is an industry leader in its analytics, it is very clear to me that the culture of the baseball operations department, manifesting itself in the way its employees are treated, its relations with other Clubs, and its relations with the media and external stakeholders, has been very problematic. At least in my view, the baseball operations department’s insular culture – one that valued and rewarded results over other considerations, combined with a staff of individuals who often lacked direction or sufficient oversight, led, at least in part, to the Brandon Taubman incident, the Club’s admittedly inappropriate and inaccurate response to that incident, and finally, to an environment that allowed the conduct described in this report to have occurred.

 

Edited by Tom Hagen
Added Manfred quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, E-Z Glider said:

I actually saw a segment with the complete opposite. It was a running chain of commentary from players that were pissed off. Glasnow and Snell, Kike Hernandez, Stroman. I dont remember them all, but there were a lot. The most definitive comment came from Ryan Braun who said they've "literally never even given a sign from second base in his 15 years in baseball". As much as I dont like/trust Braun, these type of comments have swayed my opinion a bit. If everyone is doing it, knock it off and move on, but if there are truly teams/players that weren't participating at all, it makes it that much worse in my opinion. As it stands now, I feel like the more that comes out, and the more it is discussed, the worse the Astros are looking.

Its getting worse and worse each day. Players (like Trout) wouldnt be coming out with such definitive statements if they had their own skeletons in the closet to worry about. This is becoming a bigger and bigger deal and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaredwyllys/2020/01/14/the-culture-jeff-luhnow-created/#3aedba953649

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27926780/the-houston-astros-front-office-missteps-began-long-brandon-taubman-comments

I don't want to beat a dead horse but the Astros treatment of Stephanie Apstein was horrific and they almost got away with it.  I have no doubt that was all Luhnow choosing to ruin a woman's reputation to protect a misogynist dbag assistant GM.  They not only lied about what happened, they went out of their way to publicly accuse her of fabricating the story. After they were exposed they had to be publicly shamed into apologizing to her. 

Add in denying a Detroit reporter access against MLB rules and spiking the memo about electronic sign stealing.  Manfred's report even spoke about a culture problem in the front office.

 

I think the media was making more out of that story than there was.  I don't think the Astros tried to cover that up.  I think they had their employees back until all of the facts came out.  This is pretty standard everywhere.  And when they did find out, they fired him.  I just don't think that was that big of a deal.  Dude was an idiot and he got fired.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Its getting worse and worse each day. Players (like Trout) wouldnt be coming out with such definitive statements if they had their own skeletons in the closet to worry about. This is becoming a bigger and bigger deal and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.

Please see my unrelated post about people in politics who come out against gay right, then are found in a bathroom soliciting... you know.

I'm not saying everyone is guilty, but I don't think just because you come out against it means you are clean.  

I would also wait to see how this story persists once the season gets started.  There's nothing to talk about now and players are in front of the media for the first time since the news broke.  It was expected to be talked about by everyone these first couple of weeks.  But once meaningful games start being played, I think this will die down.  Hell, even Bauer who has been one of the most vocal people just said that everyone needs to move on from this and stop talking about it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Kansas Comet said:

Justin Turner making sure he won't be on Manfred's Christmas card list 

 

There's a longer interview with Turner on The Athletic.  He also brings up a good point about the dangers pitchers (unknowingly) face when hitters know what pitch is coming.

He also said that since the players weren't punished, more teams will try this going forward.  Dude is an idiot.  STHU, Justin.  

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think the media was making more out of that story than there was.  I don't think the Astros tried to cover that up.  I think they had their employees back until all of the facts came out.  This is pretty standard everywhere.  And when they did find out, they fired him.  I just don't think that was that big of a deal.  Dude was an idiot and he got fired.  

They released a statement calling her reporting "misleading and completely irresponsible"  and that she  “attempted to fabricate a story where one does not exist.”   without doing even the slightest bit of due diligence.  They could have at least tried to figure out what happened before resorting to character assassination.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Please see my unrelated post about people in politics who come out against gay right, then are found in a bathroom soliciting... you know.

I'm not saying everyone is guilty, but I don't think just because you come out against it means you are clean.  

I would also wait to see how this story persists once the season gets started.  There's nothing to talk about now and players are in front of the media for the first time since the news broke.  It was expected to be talked about by everyone these first couple of weeks.  But once meaningful games start being played, I think this will die down.  Hell, even Bauer who has been one of the most vocal people just said that everyone needs to move on from this and stop talking about it.  

I disagree. These guys have had weeks to prepare what they were going to say when asked. I honestly wasn't expecting so many definitive statements against the Astros this week. I was expecting everyone to give the safe, canned replies. I think these statements are actually saying a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

I disagree. These guys have had weeks to prepare what they were going to say when asked. I honestly wasn't expecting so many definitive statements against the Astros this week. I was expecting everyone to give the safe, canned replies. I think these statements are actually saying a lot.

No, what I'm saying is that this is really the first time that all of these players are around the media.  Every single media person was going to ask their local stars, "What's your take on the Astros sign stealing scandal?"  So I think that's why the past week has been littered with sound bites from almost every single player on every single team.  Saturday, most teams start playing ST games.  I would think by then, these questions won't be asked as much anymore.  And come Opening Day, these guys will be focusing on more important stuff, like how their team is doing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NREC34 said:

You could literally kill someone with a baseball. This whole thing getting crazy. 

It’s just supposed to be mindless entertainment. 

Bro you have passed the point of this claiming to be mindless entertainment about 4000 posts in this thread ago. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NREC34 said:

You could literally kill someone with a baseball.

Yeah, when the garbage can banger tells you what’s coming and you line it right back where it came from, right?

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

No, what I'm saying is that this is really the first time that all of these players are around the media.  Every single media person was going to ask their local stars, "What's your take on the Astros sign stealing scandal?"  So I think that's why the past week has been littered with sound bites from almost every single player on every single team.  

Agree with this, but I was expecting a hundred sound bites all saying "It's an unfortunate situation for MLB. We need to move on." Instead we have endless soundbites of people specifically blasting individual Astros players. Not at all what I was expecting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think it's hilarious we're on Tattoo Watch:2020 now.  :lol:

Jesus, listen to yourselves.  I couldn't imagine getting this upset over a game.  Especially one I wasn't playing.  It's like being mad for 6 months because you saw a guy cheat at Words With Friends on the bus.  You weren't playing, but damn if that didn't piss you off.  :lmao:

its good schtick when the guy who posts the most in this thread accuses other people of getting too worked up about this take that to the bank bromigo

Edited by SWC
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Yeah, when the garbage can banger tells you what’s coming and you line it right back where it came from, right?

Doubt it. They’re probably trying to drive the ball out. Also they’re good but not that good. What would be the motive to hit the opposing pitcher (assuming that they could)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SWC said:

its good schtick when the guy who posts the most in this thread accuses other people of getting too worked up about this take that to the bank bromigo

Please show one post of mine where it shows me worked up and I'm being serious about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Doubt it. They’re probably trying to drive the ball out. Also they’re good but not that good. What would be the motive to hit the opposing pitcher (assuming that they could)?

I didn’t say anyone would intentionally. 
 

But I’m sure you would agree that it’s alot easier to hit a ball hard when you know what pitch is coming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

On a serious note, I thought it was interesting that Manfred said the main reason they didn't go after the players was because even though teams were told not to use electronics anymore that season, that information wasn't passed along to the players.  And he said if they would have tried to suspend players, grievances would have followed and they would have almost certainly lost those cases.  

Seems more of a we are cover our ### quote and lip service over anything else. Considering the reactions from current players and big time names I highly doubt the MLBPA would defend the punishments. They'd argued fairness on punishment from fines amount and suspension length These are rules that were broken that the MLBPA agreed to as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I didn’t say anyone would intentionally. 
 

But I’m sure you would agree that it’s alot easier to hit a ball hard when you know what pitch is coming 

Okay. You throw a ball at someone’s head intentionally that’s way different. 

I am sure it is easier for most of them though some say it’s distracting and they don’t want it. 

Bottom line, they were dumb to do it and even dumber to bang on trash cans. Buzzers would have been way smarter. If Fiers still came forward they could have denied it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gump said:

:lmao:  Auburn paid to get Cam. What they didn’t do was cheat between the lines. The way people look back at Au-Cam will be wildly better than your guys will go down.

Auburn cheating and paying for Cam stole a Heisman Trophy from Andrew Luck. It's still cheating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Auburn cheating and paying for Cam stole a Heisman Trophy from Andrew Luck. It's still cheating. 

Everybody pays players in CFB, ESPECIALLY Alabama and the SEC/southern schools. That’s why nobody cares. If 30 teams were banging on garbage cans this wouldn’t be a big deal either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Everybody pays players in CFB, ESPECIALLY Alabama and the SEC/southern schools. That’s why nobody cares. If 30 teams were banging on garbage cans this wouldn’t be a big deal either. 

The NCAA starts caring when they don't get a piece of the pie. JoePA was paying players for yrs and basically extorting law enforcement long before the SEC got real dirty and all while harboring sexual predators. I've said multiple times are colleges are dirty. I'm just pointing out to say what Auburn didn't isn't the same it kind of is when the player should've been deemed ineligible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

That's taken out of context.  I've gone over this already, GB, but the argument was about the minor leaguers involved in the trade that fell through.  Those minor leaguers were millionaires. 

Okay cool I got it out of context. I was stunned last year when I discovered how little the bulk of the minor league players make. We had season tickets for The round Rock Express and I canceled this year because I didn't like their abusive salary structures. That and the parent club are cheaters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Kansas Comet said:

Justin Turner making sure he won't be on Manfred's Christmas card list 

 

There's a longer interview with Turner on The Athletic.  He also brings up a good point about the dangers pitchers (unknowingly) face when hitters know what pitch is coming.

Too bad the pitchers are too deaf to hear the can banging, otherwise they could throw a changeup and baffle the batter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predictable nonsense about cheating is cheating.  As if my daughter rolling a 5 but moving 6 spaces in Candyland is on par with a systematic, sophisticated scheme and cover-up.  The ‘whataboutism’ at this point is almost as shameful as the cheating itself.

Edited by cobalt_27
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

They all knew when it was going on what was going on and then when it got reported they all acted shocked. The media members aren't doing anyone any favors with the voting. They are just sucking up to fans who finally caught on about them being in on the whole gig. Like I said everyone in MLB knew about and there's writers out there who have said we as journalist knew it was going on. I've seen some journalists write about guys juicing up blatantly right in front of them and no one would say a dam thing. The whole No HoF is just lip service to the fans by them because they know the backlash putting them in would cause. 

Like I said they all took the sort way to get the game popular after the strike. 

If everybody knew about it, why didn't pitchers changed pitches when they heard the can banging?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cosjobs said:

If everybody knew about it, why didn't pitchers changed pitches when they heard the can banging?

I'm talking about the PED Scandal in that comment. I was talking about any journalist or baseball person upset with this who defended the PED scandal are just hypocrites and hoping people don't remember how they defended the PED ERA. Everyone knew about the PEDs but then came out SHOCKED it was going on and many of them even defending it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

I'm talking about the PED Scandal in that comment. I was talking about any journalist or baseball person upset with this who defended the PED scandal are just hypocrites and hoping people don't remember how they defended the PED ERA. Everyone knew about the PEDs but then came out SHOCKED it was going on and many of them even defending it 

sorry, misunderstood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cosjobs said:

sorry, misunderstood

No issue a lot being talked about at once here in different situations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

that information wasn't passed along to the players.  

:lmao: 

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The General said:

The cheaters usually don’t get the say in this :lol: 

Yeah why wouldn't he say let it go? His part got him a nice big contract 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hits keep on coming in Astros land Does everyone in this organization think they are above the game?

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

Francis Martes, Astros pitcher, suspended 162 games for PED. 2nd offense. Rough stretch for Astros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note, got tickets to see the Mets on 3/19 down in Port St. Lucie. Had a blast last year, a great complex and great day at the park.

 

ok... now back to sign stealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.