What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (4 Viewers)

I ran into her once when she was in the Crawford Boxes, doing some thing with the broadcasters. Took me quite a while to realize why everyone around me was becoming so aroused.
Well, to be fair, it could have been you if you were still rocking the Jeff Bridges hairstyle.

The amusing thing is seeing how Astros fans are as clueless as the team itself, and how the backlash they’re creating with their obstinance will lead to further consequences.
Yeah, show that playbook how you respond when your team does something like this. 

I've seen a wide array of responses and all have categorically failed to appease the tiniest bit of vitriol.

Is it in that book about when a family member ends up being a criminal? That chapter on eternal shunning and villification as the optimal rehab?

I've been a very hard core fan for over 50 years. They have done something that shocks and saddens me. Do you want the Astros to vacate the sport and disband? Good for you if you do. But I don't think that will happen. So what do we do? Create a Nazi Germany?

In fairness to all of us, he should have perhaps considered that scenario before jumping on his soapbox to condemn the actions of other domestic violence offenders.  It was a bad look for him to say nothing at all once Osuna was his teammate considering how much he had to say on the topic prior. Again, my 2 cents only.
I like Correa's stance, even if the words had some weak parts. Having Crrea personalized license plates have nothing to do with my opinion.

Trying to look at the problem by quantifying the net advantage gained is sort of missing the point.   There's only one result to a strike.   If you're able to put a ball in play because you know what pitch is coming, there are a lot more potential positive results, including a clean hit, a misplayed ball, an error, a sacrifice, moving the runner over, etc.   You're also probably fouling off more balls, since you're not fooled on the speed.  That means more pitches per AB and wearing a pitcher out earlier in a game.   The fact that you knew what pitch was coming and didn't end up getting a hit doesn't mean you and your cheating team didn't gain an unfair advantage.  Then you multiply that advantage over every at bat, and every game over the course of an entire season.   It's a big deal.   That's why it's cheating.
So how would you quantify this as a big deal?  I can guarantee that they did not steal signs for every pitch of every home game as you imply here.  So my question is where does it cross over from cheating to the worst thing ever in the history of sports?  Did they use it for 10% of home AB's?  20%?  I really have no idea how much of an advantage was gained and that's why I would like to know how much it was used and what were the results.  I understand that "positive" results can take many forms but I also know it can lead to "negative" results as well.  It would be interesting to have this quantified.  Also, how does it compare to legal sign stealing with the results.   it's hard to quantify this as a "big deal" without really knowing the extent of it.  Yes, they cheated.  Yes, there performance is tainted.  I just don't know how big of a deal it is without quantifiable data. 

There is so much outrage and I just wonder how big of an impact did it really make. 

Yeah, show that playbook how you respond when your team does something like this. 

I've seen a wide array of responses and all have categorically failed to appease the tiniest bit of vitriol.

Is it in that book about when a family member ends up being a criminal? That chapter on eternal shunning and villification as the optimal rehab?

I've been a very hard core fan for over 50 years. They have done something that shocks and saddens me. Do you want the Astros to vacate the sport and disband? Good for you if you do. But I don't think that will happen. So what do we do? Create a Nazi Germany?
I’m actually loving the villain role. Everyone being upset and thinking that calling them names or saying the championship doesn’t mean anything is hilarious to me. This has been my favorite time ever to be an Astros fan. 

And I addressed that too.  You have an advantage every at bat.   You multiply that over an entire game.  You multiply that over an entire season.  Even if it doesn't result in a single extra hit, lengthening abs and putting more balls in play is a significant advantage.  You're putting more balls in play and wearing out pitchers faster.   You want to quantify it how?  Is it an extra 10 wins a season?  Go look at how many one run games they won.   That's probably a good start.
I can guarantee that it did not happen every AB for the season.  That is ludicrous and there is no evidence saying this is what occurred.  However, putting a ball in play and getting out is actually a benefit to the pitcher.  It takes less pitches to get through a game that way.  I have also seen batters swing at bad pitches because they know a fastball is coming and are geared up for it.  Just knowing the pitch doesn't necessarily result in a positive situation for the batter.

The quantifying of the data I would like is actually how often it was used and what "advantage" was gained because of it.  You can see if extra/less pitches were seen per AB.  You can see if it resulted in higher OBP or slugging percentage or whatever hitting metric you want to use.  The point is you cannot just assume that it was used for AB for every home game and that it resulted in a huge advantage without having any data.  Especially when what little data does seem to be available points to it being used occasionally and not every pitch of every AB. 

Also, as I have said previously some people don't like to know what pitch is coming from a system like this because it takes away their focus.  So what advantage they gain from knowing the pitch they lose because they are focused on something other than hitting.  I have known many hitters on my teams that have felt that way.  It then becomes a detriment to them because they aren't focused completely. 

I do think the Astros got an advantage from it.  I am just not so sure how big of an advantage it really was.  If we had data about how often it was used and the results of the usage while also comparing it to legal sign stealing methods/results it would give a better basis than just speculation.   

We can never know what advantage, if any, they got because we can’t know what they’d have done without the information. 

So even if it was very little or none everyone that wants to pile on will be justified to do so. 

We can never know what advantage, if any, they got because we can’t know what they’d have done without the information. 

So even if it was very little or none everyone that wants to pile on will be justified to do so. 
I disagree to some degree.  Some assumptions would have to made (just like in any data evaluation).   If we somehow could know every pitch that was known by the batter and had the result of every one of those pitches we can have some idea how much it helped them based on the actual results.  We could assume that every non-strike pitch that was swung at that it was a negative (basically - i know the pitch will be x so I am swinging no matter what).   We could assume that every HR was an advantage.  We can continue on with every scenario and rule it as an advantage or disadvantage and then come to some conclusions.  I mean if stat guys can figure out that some player is worth 8 wins over replacement level play then they can come up with some formula to figure out how much an advantage/disadvantage was gained by knowing the pitch that was coming. 

I can guarantee that it did not happen every AB for the season.  That is ludicrous and there is no evidence saying this is what occurred.  However, putting a ball in play and getting out is actually a benefit to the pitcher.  It takes less pitches to get through a game that way.  I have also seen batters swing at bad pitches because they know a fastball is coming and are geared up for it.  Just knowing the pitch doesn't necessarily result in a positive situation for the batter.

The quantifying of the data I would like is actually how often it was used and what "advantage" was gained because of it.  You can see if extra/less pitches were seen per AB.  You can see if it resulted in higher OBP or slugging percentage or whatever hitting metric you want to use.  The point is you cannot just assume that it was used for AB for every home game and that it resulted in a huge advantage without having any data.  Especially when what little data does seem to be available points to it being used occasionally and not every pitch of every AB. 

Also, as I have said previously some people don't like to know what pitch is coming from a system like this because it takes away their focus.  So what advantage they gain from knowing the pitch they lose because they are focused on something other than hitting.  I have known many hitters on my teams that have felt that way.  It then becomes a detriment to them because they aren't focused completely. 

I do think the Astros got an advantage from it.  I am just not so sure how big of an advantage it really was.  If we had data about how often it was used and the results of the usage while also comparing it to legal sign stealing methods/results it would give a better basis than just speculation.   
If you assume that there was even one extra hit or one extended AB each game, you've given yourself a significant advantage.    Apply that to 81 home games, plus playoffs and World Series.   It is inarguable that it was a competitive advantage.  If they didn't gain a perceptible advantage from cheating, they wouldn't have taken the risk.  Trying to measure the exact benefit of how they cheated is a pointless tangent, and completely unnecessary.  The consequences should follow the assumption of maximum benefit, and penalties should be imposed on the players as well as the team.   

As Alex Wood said, “I would rather face a player that was taking steroids than face a player that knew every pitch that was coming.”  

This not only screwed with other teams and fan bases, but it may have ruined some players' careers.  Mike Bolsinger is suing the Astros since he got sent down to the minors after getting shelled by Houston.  He never made it back to the bigs.  

If you believe what they’ve said (I know, some will say you can’t believe them and it’s a valid point) they felt the scheme wasn’t helpful and they abandoned it in 2018. 

If you assume that there was even one extra hit or one extended AB each game, you've given yourself a significant advantage.    Apply that to 81 home games, plus playoffs and World Series.   It is inarguable that it was a competitive advantage.  If they didn't gain a perceptible advantage from cheating, they wouldn't have taken the risk.  Trying to measure the exact benefit of how they cheated is a pointless tangent, and completely unnecessary.  The consequences should follow the assumption of maximum benefit, and penalties should be imposed on the players as well as the team.   

As Alex Wood said, “I would rather face a player that was taking steroids than face a player that knew every pitch that was coming.”  

This not only screwed with other teams and fan bases, but it may have ruined some players' careers.  Mike Bolsinger is suing the Astros since he got sent down to the minors after getting shelled by Houston.  He never made it back to the bigs.  
I am not saying it was not an advantage.  I am interested in how much of an advantage.  If it is 1 hit a game it is minor advantage and I don't think it appreciably changed the outcome - especially if that hit was in the 2nd inning contributing to no runs.

To me this is an important distinction especially identifying how often it was implemented. The reason why that is of importance is because the act of sign stealing is not illegal in and of itself.   So if the implementation of using cameras occurred in say 20 games for a total of 40 AB's how does that compare to sign stealing the legal way?  Does that happen in 140 games for a total of 150 AB's?  If this is the case then it's probably negligible in the grand scheme of the game.  If its reversed then it's more significant.  Secondly, if the result of the illegally  (obtained via camera) known pitches was a HR every time then of course that is a significant advantage.  If it resulted in a batting average of .115 with no HR's and 15 RBI's then it's not significant.

Before I am outraged to the point of this being the worst thing in the history of sports I would like to know the actual impact on games played and would like to know the instances vs legally stealing signs.

DJackson10 said:
It's the same thing. you're being a hypocrite if you are gonna defend what happened with Came yet say what the Astros did was bad. That's like all these MLB writers who defended all the PED cheaters back in the day but now won't vote them into the HoF do to their cheating. NCAA has a rule banning teams from paying players or their families. Auburn broke that rule. Cheating is cheating. Altuve stole an MVP award Cam stole a Heisman as he should've been ineligible to play. At the sometime Auburn should've had their title voided for that season too. 
If it were the same thing, fellow athletes wouldn’t be treating them so differently.

Im more curious to see how they hit this year
Even without the advantage of the cheating, their games are going to be a #### show. They’re going to have people banging drums, booing, and heckling nonstop on top of reporters asking them about the drum banging, booing, and heckling.  I would assume that takes a toll. 

This is the most ridiculous line of argument.  Obviously if Altuve, for example, doesn't like the "distraction" of knowing what pitch is coming, he tells his comrades not to signal when he's up.  Clearly that wasn't the case.

That's not to say you didn't know people who didn't want to know what pitch is coming.  I'm sure that is true.  But to try to say that since some people don't want to know the pitch, and extrapolate that into this scenario, and then argue that it may have actual been a hindrance is just beyond plausible.

Anyone remember the BTK killer? He was writing letters to the local paper, sending in personal stuff from victims, etc...until he got caught. 
i would not say that the astros are as bad as the btk killer i mean its probably close but i still dont think id go quite that far take that to the bank bromigo

Stanton says he would have hit 80+ HRs in 2017 if he knew what pitches were coming... or if he played with the Astros. 

In related news, Barry Bonds is rumored to have said he would have hit 190+ in 2001 under the same circumstances.  Sosa and McGwire are skeptical of this claim.  

I just had a group of guys at work gang up on me about the Astros. Like 15-20 minutes straight. At one point pull up YouTube on their phone and play stuff. Lots of witnesses. 

What’s the play here? Laugh it off or contact HR?

I just had a group of guys at work gang up on me about the Astros. Like 15-20 minutes straight. At one point pull up YouTube on their phone and play stuff. Lots of witnesses. 

I would contact HR. That is a classic case of bullying in the workplace. Plus they are cheating the company out of man-hours.

Go on the offensive.  It's actually fun.  Take a page out of The Sheik's book. "Yeah, well, we still have title...so worth it".

Stanton says he would have hit 80+ HRs in 2017 if he knew what pitches were coming... or if he played with the Astros. 

In related news, Barry Bonds is rumored to have said he would have hit 190+ in 2001 under the same circumstances.  Sosa and McGwire are skeptical of this claim.  
This reminds me of when Ty Cobb was being interviewed later in life.

Interviewer: "Mr. Cobb, what do you think you would hit against today's pitchers?"

Ty Cobb: "Probably around .325".

Interviewer: "Really, why so low?  Your career average was .366".

Ty Cobb: "Because I'm 70 ####### years old, that's why".

Complain about New York sports talk radio.

This is the most ridiculous line of argument.  Obviously if Altuve, for example, doesn't like the "distraction" of knowing what pitch is coming, he tells his comrades not to signal when he's up.  Clearly that wasn't the case.

That's not to say you didn't know people who didn't want to know what pitch is coming.  I'm sure that is true.  But to try to say that since some people don't want to know the pitch, and extrapolate that into this scenario, and then argue that it may have actual been a hindrance is just beyond plausible.
I am not saying that players that didn't want to know were told anyway.  I am saying sometimes knowing a certain pitch is coming you can over swing and actually cause you to get yourself out.  I am not saying that happens all the time but I am sure it did happen.  This is why having the data of the results of the AB's when known pitches were coming would be a worth while investigation.  Having accurate data and more of it is always a good thing when trying to figure out if something had an impact. 

ETA:  I agree the way I worded the original statement wasn't clear to what I was trying to convey.  I combined two thoughts into one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would contact HR. That is a classic case of bullying in the workplace. Plus they are cheating the company out of man-hours.
The ringleader that started it continued some after first break. I asked him in a serious tone to please stop and he hasn’t since  

I have no doubt I could get them in trouble but it’d probably make my life harder. So I’m leaning on not being another Mike Fiers.

The ringleader that started it continued some after first break. I asked him in a serious tone to please stop and he hasn’t since  

I have no doubt I could get them in trouble but it’d probably make my life harder. So I’m leaning on not being another Mike Fiers.
Your only solution then is to get a t-shirt made of the World Series trophy and wear it to work every day. Just keep your mouth shut and grin the whole time. While pointing at the shirt.

Was it a super serious tone?  Did you scrunch your face so they knew you meant business not to speak ill of the Astros?

Probably breaking the law here, but this is a excerpt from Joe Posnanski's work at the Athletic.  He is currently counting down the top 100 players of all time and at 36 is Christy Mathewson.  The order doesn't really matter, it's all about the stories (example:  Dimaggio is at #56 and Robinson #42)  Don't get caught up in the ranking just enjoy the stories and the writing - it's phenomenal.  If you subscribe to the Athletic enjoy:   https://theathletic.com/author/joe-posnanski/

Anyway, this snip-it was deliberatly added because of the *stros cheating.  Some "fans" in here sound like the Phillies' owner.

In “Pitching in a Pinch,” Mathewson writes that, at first, people warned him to never ever throw high fastballs to one of the greatest hitters of the 19th century, Ed Delahanty. Matty tried to follow the advice, and he fed Delahanty breaking balls and off-speed pitches, which Big Ed smacked all over the ballpark.

Finally, Mathewson grew so sick of getting knocked around that he ignored the advice and tried throwing high fastballs. And you know what? Delahanty couldn’t hit them. From that point on, Matty threw nothing but fastballs up, and he never had much trouble with Big Ed after that.

And because Mathewson was such an inquisitive pitcher, he wondered just how Big Ed got that reputation as a man who crushed high fastballs.

And it led to this story that transcends time.

In 1899, you see, the Philadelphia Phillies led the league in batting average, on-base percentage, runs, hits, doubles and total bases. Their pitching wasn’t good enough to make them a pennant winner, but that lineup — which starred future Hall of Famers Nap Lajoie, Elmer Flick and Delahanty — terrorized pitchers across the National League.

You couldn’t throw a high fastball by any of ’em.

Why not? Well, as it turns out there was a less famous player, a longtime backup catcher named Morgan Murphy, who was at the heart of the matter. Murphy himself couldn’t hit any longer; he never played. But what he apparently did do was sit in the manager’s suite, a high room that overlooked the field from behind center field,* and with a pair of $75 binoculars, would zoom in on the catcher’s signal. And Murphy would steal the signs.

*Though he was known for doing this at home, it’s likely Murphy did it on the road as well when he could. In Brooklyn, he once rented a room across the street from the ballpark.

Stealing catcher signs was a common practice in those days. A player and manager named Mike McGeary — who had the pleasure of managing the Philadelphia Whites, Providence Grays and Cleveland Blues in his colorful career — apparently used an umbrella to let hitters know which pitch was coming. If the umbrella was up, that meant the pitch would be up.

And Murphy himself had been well-known around the game for his sign-stealing. He, too, had evocative ways of alerting the hitters about the upcoming pitch — these were much more elegant than, say, banging a garbage can. According to this excellent story by Matt Albertson, Murphy would sometimes use an awning in centerfield to get the word out. He sometimes waved a newspaper. My favorite: He would take a simple strip of fabric and hold it vertically for a fastball, horizontally for a curve.

But in 1899, he tried something different, something more nefarious. He would steal a sign and then press a button with different patterns. The button would set off a buzzer that was strapped to the leg of Phillies player and third-base coach Pearce “Petey” Chiles. After being buzzed, Chiles would — “verbally” according to newspaper reports — let the hitter know what pitch was coming.*

*While the newspaper account made it sound like Chiles would scream out, “HEY, FASTBALL UPSTAIRS!” I’m certain they used more coded language.

And as long as the Philadelphia hitters knew what was coming, you bet they feasted on high fastballs. Delahanty hit .410. Lajoie hit .378. Flick hit .342. That’s how the reputation began. After a while, pitchers realized there was no point in trying to get high fastballs by them.

Sign stealing. Buzzers. This story has it all.

But then the Phillies got caught. Cincinnati’s third baseman Tommy Corcoran somehow noticed that Chiles’ leg would twitch before pitches. He walked over to where Chiles was standing, pawed at the dirt with his cleat, and found a transmitter in the ground. This created a stir. Baseball was a rough and tumble game in 1899 and the fans undoubtedly expected some cheating.

But this was something different. As the Philadelphia Inquirer put it: “The introduction of electricity as an adjunct to the presentation of the noble national sport opened up possibilities.”

As you might imagine, the Phillies owner promptly admitted the whole thing, apologized to the rest of the league and dedicated himself to promoting fair play in baseball.

Joking!

The team owner, Colonel John Rogers, denied everything in the most absurd and transparent way imaginable. He said that the thing Corcoran found in the ground was not a transmitter at all; no, haha, sure, it’s understandable to think that, but the box was actually a lighting switchboard that an amusement company had installed for when they needed lights for their stage show.

And the buzzer thing? Haha, no, see that was just a practical joke the team had pulled on Chiles, they had told him they were going to shock him, see, it was just a big misunderstanding — and the Phillies would certainly never do anything like that, and even if they did do something, well, it didn’t really help.

It goes without saying that nobody bought the Colonel’s explanation. The transmitter was removed, Petey Chiles moved to coach first base, and the Phillies’ batting averages dropped 35 points over the next two years (though part of that was the exit of Lajoie in 1901).

“After the buzzer had been discovered and the delivery of pitchers could not be accurately forecast,” Mathewson wrote, “this ability to hit high fast ones vanished.”

You imagine that Mathewson, who read the Bible every day, might have added Ecclesiastes 1:9 to the updated version of “Pitching in a Pinch.”

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Be a crybaby about it

Probably breaking the law here, but this is a excerpt from Joe Posnanski's work at the Athletic.  He is currently counting down the top 100 players of all time at at 36 is Christy Mathewson.  The order doesn't really matter, it's all about the stories (example:  Dimaggio is at #56 and Robinson #42)  Don't get caught up in the ranking just enjoy the stories and the writing - it's phenomenal.  If you subscribe to the Athletic enjoy:   https://theathletic.com/author/joe-posnanski/

Anyway, this snip-it was deliberatly added because of the Astros* cheating.  Some "fans" in here sound like the Phillies' owner.
I look forward to these each day. Really good series.

I am not saying it was not an advantage.  I am interested in how much of an advantage.  If it is 1 hit a game it is minor advantage and I don't think it appreciably changed the outcome - especially if that hit was in the 2nd inning contributing to no runs.

To me this is an important distinction especially identifying how often it was implemented. The reason why that is of importance is because the act of sign stealing is not illegal in and of itself.   So if the implementation of using cameras occurred in say 20 games for a total of 40 AB's how does that compare to sign stealing the legal way?  Does that happen in 140 games for a total of 150 AB's?  If this is the case then it's probably negligible in the grand scheme of the game.  If its reversed then it's more significant.  Secondly, if the result of the illegally  (obtained via camera) known pitches was a HR every time then of course that is a significant advantage.  If it resulted in a batting average of .115 with no HR's and 15 RBI's then it's not significant.

Before I am outraged to the point of this being the worst thing in the history of sports I would like to know the actual impact on games played and would like to know the instances vs legally stealing signs.
Traditional sign stealing is the equivalent of squaring up with a dude and having a fist fight. Illegal electronic sign stealing is the equivalent of cold cocking a dude when he's not looking. The dude doesn't even know he's in a fight.   

I kind of feel bad for Will Harris.  Today, the Nats are having a celebration down at their camp with a parade and everything.  What's worse than giving up the go ahead run in Game 7 of the WS?  Having to go celebrate with the other team.  :sadbanana:

"But they didn't cheat all the time" is a ridiculous argument.   They cheated.  They got caught.  You assume that the cheating gave them the benefit they wanted, or they wouldn't have kept doing it.  There is no point in trying to parse out the degree of advantage they gained, and it isn't really possible since you gain multiple advantages through this type of cheating.  It's really just an attempt to justify the impotent punishment that they received.

And if you need some help getting into character, just think of all the Yankees and Dodgers interviews about the scandal so far.  That should help you really nail the crybaby act.  :thumbup:
Here’s the thing. It’s not like I go to work everyday with Astros gear on and constantly talk about them to everyone I encounter. (That’s what this place is for lol)

I wore my hat a handful of times during the playoffs. I wore it to our company golf scramble on a Saturday they were playing TB that night in the playoffs. I wore a shirt the day after the WS win. Honestly I think that’s about it. 

This guy that started this today said to me a few months ago that he hadn’t watched baseball since 2004 when I was just casually talking about the playoffs / what you doing this weekend kind of thing. Then he became a bandwagon Nats fan for the WS and gave me a bit of grief over that as well when it concluded. 

This thing has transcended past the small percentage that actually follow baseball into almost everyone and it feels like the whole world hates the Astros and the innocent fans who had zero to do with this. 

It really kind of sucks. 

If do become a crybaby and complain about it, who knows, HR might laugh at me and tell me how evil the Astros are. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread