What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (1 Viewer)

Bait? You guys are the ones tagging me. 

Doesn’t that mean you want me to reply to you?

I am getting tired of talking about it. 
Where did I tag you?  I wasn’t even responding to a post of yours and you quoted me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did I tag you?  I wasn’t even responding to a post of yours and you quoted me. 
Why do call my post bait? That’s what I am responding to.

The guy tagged me. I am sure you can scroll up and see that he did. 

You can google Kershaw tipping pitches and all kinds of stuff comes up including last years playoffs.

If I had to guess though? They probably stole some of his signs in that game.

I am just a fan and idk what you guys want from me. I was not even going to open this thread tonight but I until a notification about it. I have sign stealing fatigue and I’m tired of hearing about it. I am not a player and had nothing to do with any of it. If the Astros were the only ones I guess it’s the maybe the worst thing that’s ever happened in baseball maybe?

Capella said:
Oregon likely paid 3/4 of their players that year and every year after. Plz stop. This is embarrassing. 
Yes but not at the amount Auburn was. Auburn is in a much better conference and has more ways then Oregon did and does to get players anyway they could. My point is to the guy yelling at the top of his lungs what Cam and Auburn did is completely different is just dumb. Cheating is cheating and honestly wouldn't be surprised if the person was a Cam fan because they are so dislussional on anything involving the guy

Why do call my post bait? That’s what I am responding to.

The guy tagged me. I am sure you can scroll up and see that he did. 

You can google Kershaw tipping pitches and all kinds of stuff comes up including last years playoffs.

If I had to guess though? They probably stole some of his signs in that game.

I am just a fan and idk what you guys want from me. I was not even going to open this thread tonight but I until a notification about it. I have sign stealing fatigue and I’m tired of hearing about it. I am not a player and had nothing to do with any of it. If the Astros were the only ones I guess it’s the maybe the worst thing that’s ever happened in baseball maybe?
I thought you were trolling with the tipped pitches thing considering the Astros stole signs and then told pitchers they were tipping pitches to cover up their scheme. 

https://theathletic.com/1603448/2020/02/13/the-astros-told-chris-archer-he-was-tipping-pitches-now-he-knows-they-were-willing-to-do-anything-to-win/

...and yes, it’s probably the worst thing that’s ever happened in baseball considering it resulted in a tainted title. 

NREC34 said:
I don’t think that’s very likely but possible I suppose. I feel mlb knows way more than what’s in the report as well. In their best interest for this to die down and have one team take all the outrage and act as a deterrent. 
No doubt I was just watching the a movie on Amazon Prime another version of the NBA corruption scandal with Donaghey (He is actually local to my area) and just based on that version it's clear the NBA knew so much more than what they led on to the media and what the media told us. The biggest game or series people go back to is the Western Conf finals Kings/Lakers where LAL had 27 FTs in the 4th QTR. However many people have gone back to games Donaghey has mentioned or refs involved and now point to another series in the East that year the 76ers and Bucks. Now I'm still hesitant on claiming that game but the WCF was pretty blatant. I know people who called it and quit watching the league that series and haven't come back since.

Point is I think in many of these situations there's more known then what is let on but they need a fall guy/team etc to take the blame off them. 

Yes but not at the amount Auburn was. Auburn is in a much better conference and has more ways then Oregon did and does to get players anyway they could. My point is to the guy yelling at the top of his lungs what Cam and Auburn did is completely different is just dumb. Cheating is cheating and honestly wouldn't be surprised if the person was a Cam fan because they are so dislussional on anything involving the guy
Lol he’s a huge Bama homer. ❌

I thought you were trolling with the tipped pitches thing considering the Astros stole signs and then told pitchers they were tipping pitches to cover up their scheme. 

https://theathletic.com/1603448/2020/02/13/the-astros-told-chris-archer-he-was-tipping-pitches-now-he-knows-they-were-willing-to-do-anything-to-win/

...and yes, it’s probably the worst thing that’s ever happened in baseball considering it resulted in a tainted title. 
Probably Bergman.  He has advanced to uber Tool now.  Hope nothing but karma for him.

I could be wrong, but I believe the teams pay for and distribute the rings.  So even if MLB stripped the title, the Astros would be the ones to decide if rings needed to be returned.  And I don't see that happening.  

Glad to see the changes to the Phanatic were very subtle.  I get the reasoning so I'm cool with it.  I just don't get how the company that created him has a leg to stand on in this case.  They had a contract that gave the Phillies the rights for life.  And now, they are coming back saying they don't want to honor that contract anymore and want more money for the Phil's to keep using him?  I guess I don't understand law, but this is stupid.

If I was a D-back fan, I'd be a little pissed to find out MadBum is roping cattle as a hobby.  All that money spent on him, I wouldn't want him doing anything that could result in serious injuries.  

TheIronSheik said:
I could be wrong, but I believe the teams pay for and distribute the rings.  So even if MLB stripped the title, the Astros would be the ones to decide if rings needed to be returned.  And I don't see that happening.  
You are correct, Sheik.  

I am hoping to get a World Series ring someday.  When I left my old job, I told my boss "You all might be able to match the salary, but I'll never have a chance at a World Series ring here."

His reply?  "Well, you won't have a chance there, either!"   😂

A man can dream.

There’s an interesting thread on Reddit. 

2017 World Series

Game 1 in LA: Clayton Kershaw pitches 7 innings, gives up 3 hits and Ks 11.

Game 4 in Houston, Clayton pitches 4.2 Innings, gives up 6 ER and Ks 2.

Heres the big catch, Kershaw threw 51 non fastballs in that game and had zero swinging strikes.  His swinging strike rate that year was 44% on his slider, 35% on his curve, and 25% on his Change.  There’s someone currently running a simulation that you can look at in real-time - he’s currently at 2400 simulations and the odds on not having a single swinging strike is just over 1 in 3 Million. 
Whoa.

Altuve already has a HBP.  
Honestly, if my plan was to peg these guys, I'd be doing it in ST.  We all know the Astros are still a good team.  Why give them base runners in meaningful games?  I was never a fan of plunking guys unless they were aholes, but if I was going to do it, it would definitely be in ST.

I would love it if MLB had like all day games for the first two weeks of the season.  I think day games are so cool.  Reminds me of old timey baseball.  Do it for a week, then start up the night games.  I think for teams up north, playing in the warm sun would be universally liked by the players, as well. 

And if I was commish, along with that I'd require any new stadium built to be a retractable roof, that way we can look at moving the schedule earlier or later as time moves on.

I would love it if MLB had like all day games for the first two weeks of the season.  I think day games are so cool.  Reminds me of old timey baseball.  Do it for a week, then start up the night games.  I think for teams up north, playing in the warm sun would be universally liked by the players, as well. 

And if I was commish, along with that I'd require any new stadium built to be a retractable roof, that way we can look at moving the schedule earlier or later as time moves on.
The Twins stadium is beautiful, and I like the view of the skyline, and the general "out in the open" feel of it.  I've only been to maybe a third of the parks in the MLB, and it truly is one of the best, if not the best I have seen.  That said, not putting a roof on it was really stupid.  It is not enjoyable to be at a game until mid May usually.  October would be even worse I'm sure, though I haven't been to a playoff game since they left the Dome.

The Twins stadium is beautiful, and I like the view of the skyline, and the general "out in the open" feel of it.  I've only been to maybe a third of the parks in the MLB, and it truly is one of the best, if not the best I have seen.  That said, not putting a roof on it was really stupid.  It is not enjoyable to be at a game until mid May usually.  October would be even worse I'm sure, though I haven't been to a playoff game since they left the Dome.
And with today's technology, you can build retractable roofs that still feel like open air stadiums when open.  Minute Maid is great when it's open.  You get a nice view of downtown in left field.  Arizona was a nice park, too, when they opened it up.  I love baseball in the sun, too, but I also loved knowing I never had to worry about a game I'm going to being a rain out or delay.  Or too cold or too hot.  

The last 4 outdoor games I've gone to, 2 have been rain delays that lasted 3 hours.  In Baltimore, we bought high priced tickets behind home plate and when they restarted the game, they let every drunk in attendance down to sit in those seats.  So we felt ripped off.  Another game, we sat directly in the August sun and cooked.  It was miserable.

The only worse game was I went to a game at Riverfront back in the 90's.  Forget who they played, but at the time, it set the record for the hottest game on record.  The onfield temp was like 145 degrees.  We had front row tickets right at first base and we were dying.  They were giving away free water and if you didn't drink it right away it was like boiling water.  And I burnt my arm at least once and inning resting them on the metal armrest that was probably slightly hotter than the surface of the sun.  I think that record got beat a few years later, but wow was it ridiculous.  

Adding a Retractable roof is about 400M more dollars. Main reason the Rays stadium attempt in Tampa didn’t get done. It’s not just a thing you slap on the bill. 

Its also easier for those centerfield cameras to pick up the catcher's signs in the daylight

Adding a Retractable roof is about 400M more dollars. Main reason the Rays stadium attempt in Tampa didn’t get done. It’s not just a thing you slap on the bill. 
I get that, but two things.  First, everyone knew the Twins needed a new stadium and everyone knew the public was going to pay for most of it.  Of course they dragged their feet (just like US Bank Stadium).  By the time everyone agreed to their portion, the projected cost without a roof had trippled.  If they would have just built it from the start, they could have had one with a retractable  roof for the price the ended up paying without a roof.

Second, when the public is paying, might as well add things that make it more user friendly.  Cheaping out and not giving details that actually benefit the fans instead of just making a money printing factory for the team is just another stick in the eye of the every day fan.

I get that, but two things.  First, everyone knew the Twins needed a new stadium and everyone knew the public was going to pay for most of it.  Of course they dragged their feet (just like US Bank Stadium).  By the time everyone agreed to their portion, the projected cost without a roof had trippled.  If they would have just built it from the start, they could have had one with a retractable  roof for the price the ended up paying without a roof.

Second, when the public is paying, might as well add things that make it more user friendly.  Cheaping out and not giving details that actually benefit the fans instead of just making a money printing factory for the team is just another stick in the eye of the every day fan.
As long as the public is paying you may as well add another 400M? Sheesh. 

I don’t know/truly don’t care anything about the Twins situation but teams shouldn’t be asking cities to build them stadiums and when they do they shouldn’t be tacking on another half a billion just because. 

And with today's technology, you can build retractable roofs that still feel like open air stadiums when open.  Minute Maid is great when it's open.  You get a nice view of downtown in left field.  Arizona was a nice park, too, when they opened it up.  I love baseball in the sun, too, but I also loved knowing I never had to worry about a game I'm going to being a rain out or delay.  Or too cold or too hot.  
I can see why it's needed in a place that gets humid all of the time like Houston or Arizona, but I'm not sure it's really needed all over.  Houston has a nice downtown view, but there are a lot of ballparks that integrate rivers and other natural surroundings whose visibility would be limited (like McCovey Cove in SF, Ohio River in Cincy, etc.)

You can't build something like PNC Park with a retractable roof.

As long as the public is paying you may as well add another 400M? Sheesh. 

I don’t know/truly don’t care anything about the Twins situation but teams shouldn’t be asking cities to build them stadiums and when they do they shouldn’t be tacking on another half a billion just because. 
The extra $400 million doesn't directly put any more money in the pocket of the team.  It may put more money in the pocket of the team by increasing attendance because the stadium is more user friendly.  But that makes sense from a tax payer perspective.  Better stadium experience is a benefit to the fans as well.  The state giving more land to the team so they can tack on a parking ramp they will own and take the revenue from does not add to the fan experience and just gives more money to the team.  That does not make sense from a taxpayer perspective.

The family that owns the Twins is among the wealthiest of team owners in MLB.  They don't need the state to build their stadium.  But, that's where the realities of having pro sports in your town is, so you might as well face the realities and get it done right.

The family that owns the Twins is among the wealthiest of team owners in MLB.  They don't need the state to build their stadium.  But, that's where the realities of having pro sports in your town is, so you might as well face the realities and get it done right.
Yeah maybe no?

i think nothing should have a roof including houses we lived for thousands of years out in the open and frankly i think weve just gotten soft take that to the bank brohans 

Can you expand on that?
No I can't because your argument is exactly  why cities have allowed themselves to be taken hostage by billionaires over the past few decades, and thankfully that mindset has finally started to change over the past few years. 

No I can't because your argument is exactly  why cities have allowed themselves to be taken hostage by billionaires over the past few decades, and thankfully that mindset has finally started to change over the past few years. 
Multiple cities have lost teams moving to other cities promising a stadium, so it is not exactly a phony threat.

when communities pay for stadiums for private teams it is the worst investment ever the people pay and the team profits tell me how any of that makes sense brohan while the owners take it to the bank 

Multiple cities have lost teams moving to other cities promising a stadium, so it is not exactly a phony threat.
As a Rays fan I am fine with this. Tampa has potholes and homeless problems and teachers making next to nothing. Sternberg doesn’t need a billion for a stadium. 

Capella said:
As a Rays fan I am fine with this. Tampa has potholes and homeless problems and teachers making next to nothing. Sternberg doesn’t need a billion for a stadium. 
I certainly wouldn't argue there is a universal right answer for whether or not cities should build stadiums.  Obviously there are many variables, and individuals in those metro areas are going to have their own opinions.  But, I do not think either answer (yes, public funding, or no never publicly funded) is always right.

Severino signed a 40m contract last year, missed the entire season expect for 3 starts and now will miss all of 2020 as well. Crazy. 

Users who are viewing this thread