What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (4 Viewers)

Joel Sherman - Hear when concluded that the next two years on Yelich deal will stay the same $12.5 million this season and $14 million next. But the $15M 2022 option will be torn up and 7 yrs added for a total of 9 yrs in the $215M range
One of the best players in the game for about $24 million per?

Thanks Marlins, thanks Jeter!

Go Brewers!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually a really good article about the 2017 WS.  I was sure it was going to be the normal article bashing the Astros, but it's actually very detailed.

This is actually a really good article about the 2017 WS.  I was sure it was going to be the normal article bashing the Astros, but it's actually very detailed.
Meh.  Mix of numbers, conjecture over plays we don't get to see for ourselves, and opinions passed off as statement of fact:

It's not just about the swings, however. It's also about the pitches the Astros didn't swing at, like that 2-2 slider to Gurriel. Kershaw had a chase rate of 12.9% in the game on his slider and curveball. From 2016 to 2018, Kershaw had a chase rate of 34.4% on breaking balls, so the Astros were certainly disciplined in this game.
It's a lot easier to be disciplined on taking breaking balls, when you know a breaking ball is coming. 

Meh.  Mix of numbers, conjecture over plays we don't get to see for ourselves, and opinions passed off as statement of fact:

It's a lot easier to be disciplined on taking breaking balls, when you know a breaking ball is coming. 
To be clear, I'm not making a case for or against.  I just thought it was interesting.  Especially where he refutes a lot of the internet chatter.  Like where he talks about how Kershaw actually pitched terrible.  Sure, knowing the signs could help, but he wasn't lights out.  I just thought it was interesting.

I wish I had access to the article listed that argues the Astros actually hurt themselves with knowing the pitches.  It's a paid article and I'm not paying to read it. :shrug:

To be clear, I'm not making a case for or against.  I just thought it was interesting.  Especially where he refutes a lot of the internet chatter.  Like where he talks about how Kershaw actually pitched terrible.  Sure, knowing the signs could help, but he wasn't lights out.  I just thought it was interesting.

I wish I had access to the article listed that argues the Astros actually hurt themselves with knowing the pitches.  It's a paid article and I'm not paying to read it. :shrug:

:lmao:

Kershaw was definitely up and down since his return from injury that season.  He had some great games, and he had some stinkers.  Absent video evidence of the "cookies" he was throwing (crushing a pitch isn't evidence the pitch was by, just by itself).  It is worth noting that Kershaw had three strong performances leading up to the game in question.  Was he due for a bad game having been up and down?  Or, had he figured it out and was back in top form?  Also worth noting is he came back on two days rest and pitched 4 shutout innings despite not having his best stuff (and again, that was at home).  So this one game in Houston was sandwiched by four games where he collectively pitched 22 innings and gave up 4 total runs. :shrug:

All circumstantial and definitely not proof of cheating or a bad game by Kershaw.  But, I'm not going to take some second hand assessment of the game, or some second hand account of whether some other fan heard bangs or not.

End of an era.

Will always have fond memories of the "Painted Bikini contest" on the night the ballpark opened in '12. Visiting bullpen performance will coincidentally skyrocket.

I love that Trevor Bauer has been the loudest about cheating, not just with the Astros, but with pitchers using foreign substances to improve their spin rate. He claims that 70% of pitchers are using something illegal.  But when Passan looked into his numbers, he noticed that Bauer went from 120th in spin rate, to 2nd last year.  And when asked if he used a foreign substance to help his spin rate, he declined to answer, only saying that 70% of the pitcher do it.

So, let's examine that.  He's basically using the same excuse that the Astros used: Everyone's doing it.  If that's true, then why are all of these pitchers so mad about batters cheating?  I mean this is hilarious to me.  This would imply that 70% of all pitches are thrown illegally.  That's mind blowing.  
https://sports.yahoo.com/angels-fire-visiting-clubhouse-manager-pine-tar-opponents-mlb-043931113.html

The Los Angeles Angels have fired their visiting clubhouse manager after an internal investigation confirmed allegations that he was providing ball-doctoring substances to opposing pitchers, according to ESPN’s Alden Gonzalez. The firing was initially reported by the Los Angeles Times' Maria Torres.

[Batter up: Join or create a Yahoo Fantasy Baseball league for free today]

The Angels were reportedly tipped off by Major League Baseball that Brian “Bubba” Harkins allegedly had been providing the sticky substances to improve opponents’ grip on the baseball.

The substance reportedly was a melted-down pine-tar solution and rosin, per ESPN.

Harkins reportedly had been employed by the Angels for more than 30 years, hired in 1981 as a bat boy and returning to the team as clubhouse manager in 1986. Angels president John Carpino confirmed to the Times that Harkins had been fired, but did not divulge the reason.

The Angels reportedly believe that Harkins acted alone in illegally aiding opponents and have not fired other clubhouse attendants.

MLB not playing around with illegal substances

The fact that MLB tipped off the Angels is likely the first step in the league’s reported initiative to finally crack down on pitchers using illegal sticky substances to improve their grip on the ball.

The practice has been in use for decades — pretty much since the game’s inception — as a way for pitchers to increase the spin of the ball for more velocity and movement.

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer, an outspoken voice about the practice, claimed recently that 70 percent of MLB pitchers today use some sort of substance, calling it “a bigger advantage than steroids.” He has accused the Houston Astros, in particular, in the past, which the team denied.

Sports Illustrated’s Tom Verducci reported on Monday that MLB put the league’s pitching and coaching staffs on notice with threats of suspensions and firings. While the Angels reportedly fired Harkins on their own, he might only be the first to get the axe this year.

Wow.... I know this guy and was good friends with him back in '04-06.  I had a ribs take out place in Laguna Hills, and Bubba would order once or twice per home stand for the after game meal for both teams. I would deliver at the start of the 8th inning to the club house. He personally paid for the meals, and then each player would tip him like $20-$50, depending on how much he did for the guy from start to finish that day.    Still have all my Angels swag he gave me. 

Worth noting
The Reds have been hit by a pitch 14 times in Cactus League play, the most of any club in the Majors this spring.

I thought this was interesting from the Reds website yesterday.  So, I guess maybe all the talk about the Astros being beaned is getting overblown?

The Angels were reportedly tipped off by Major League Baseball that Brian “Bubba” Harkins allegedly had been providing the sticky substances to improve opponents’ grip on the baseball.
Sooo....if the MLB tipped the Angels off is it safe to say that they discovered it through the player's tell all?  So the players can cheat with impunity, but the little people get fired.  Sounds fair.

Tom Hagen said:
No worse than the Astros stealing signs that made it harder to hit according to you. ;)
I know you're joking with me and I'm not upset, but I did want to just point out that I didn't actually say that.  I posted that article that ESPN had up, and in it, they linked to an article about a study done by Baseball Prospectus that said the Astros scheme hurt them as much as it helped them.  It's a paysite, so I can't tell you what the actual study said.  I was just asking if anyone had read it.

Sorry for a late notice but I'm starting a Keeper league on Yahoo (h2h standard scoring 2-3 NA slots plus UTL and DH pos) from scratch this year. My old keeper league is no more. I was in a league with guys from the old MLB boards (specifically the Phillies forum) and MLB shut down their boards without notice a little over 2 yrs ago (No email or notification to the fans this was happening or heads up). We kept the league up until last year and this year its dead. I was able to get 5 from my old league including myself to join. I have a friend who also is joining plus 2 guys from my Eagles Facebook group already to make 8. THERE IS NO BUY IN AND THIS IS NOT A MONEY LEAGUE. I already have guys joining simple because it was not gonna be a money league so keep that in mind. 

I'm looking for at least 2 more players preferable with Fantasy baseball experience already ( I do not wish to have anyone who is just starting out as the guys I play with are very competitive). If we have to depending on roster sizes could go to 12 teams depending who's interested. I'm leaving 1 spot open though as I asked a buddy of mine if his co worker was interested I know. If you got Fantasy plus keeper league experience already thats a plus but not necessary. Looking to do the draft between Sun March 22 and WED 25th as MLB starts the 26th so keep that in mind before joining. This is a league with knowledgeable managers who are also into the saber metrics so I really cannot be having any new fans of the sport in the league. Sorry if thats sounds arrogant and its not meant to offend. More so trying to protect league integrity and you for getting destroyed in the league, then lack of confidence quitting mid way into the first year or shortly after the league year. 

We'll be keeping this league incredible official. I'll start a facebook group for the league itself send the link here to those who's facebook's I don't have and we'll keep the league Message Board on the actual league page updated as often as possible. When signing into the league don't pay attention to the roster and stats. those are up for debate and just a frame work of what I'd like for the league. ALL LEAGUE RULES AND EVERYTHING WILL BE UP FOR VOTE. RULES WILL NOT BE CHANGED UNTIL AFTER thE CURRENT SEASON (Exceptions for incidents out of our control or needing to change a start to make the league scoring and such make sense). If you aren't active or managers start emailing me about possible tanking and throwing games I will contact the manager to see what's going on (Sometimes manger may not be at actual fault). If you know you won't be near internet service or get to your line up for a week Yahoo does a great job if you auto set your line up for the week. Just go day by day and make any changes you may want though after but it will put all your probable starters in their correct spots for the week. However if you are deemed to be throwing games you will get a warning. Second offense we can put up to debate on what happens (Thinking loss of pick) and the 3rd time I put it up for vote on the league page to terminate the manager. I' hoping Yahoo for baseball has a losers bracket to prevent this however. All announcements will come through the league page and on facebook so make sure you check them and your email. 

I know this is late notice but I just found out the league was folding. I gave my guys in the league a few days to mull over starting a new league if interested and if needed to add people on the outside to our league. If interested contact directly this post or through PM on here so we can get your info for the league. 

Judge has a broken rib and may need surgery.
I rolled the dice on him in the mid rounds of my fantasy league.  Could be a dumb move but my team always sucks in this particular league so I felt I had to do it.  It could be huge, could be a totally wasted pick.

I had plane tickets and planned to go to Arizona for my first ever spring training experience.  I was supposed to leave today.  Cancelled the trip once games were cancelled.  Sucks.

With most sports, except for football, I stop watching once my team is out. I know the Nationals won last year but I honestly don't even know who they played. I'm planning on watching all of the different series, to have on in the background, as a distraction.  Could someone list all the first round matchups? I'm afraid of spoilers so I don't want to look it up.

tia

With most sports, except for football, I stop watching once my team is out. I know the Nationals won last year but I honestly don't even know who they played. I'm planning on watching all of the different series, to have on in the background, as a distraction.  Could someone list all the first round matchups? I'm afraid of spoilers so I don't want to look it up.

tia
Cardinals vs. Braves
Nationals/Brewers vs. Dodgers

Twins vs. Yankees
Rays/A's vs. Astros

See, I just do a search and the first thing I see about Nats/Brewers is a Soto HR in the 8th. I'm guessing it's that game. 

I'm gonna be a PITA in this thread and ask for non-spoiler links.

Someone hook me up with a non-spoiler link to that game. I'll still start there and see how this goes.

Looking at the teams, I'm pretty sure it's the Twins in the WS, if I remember correctly. Whatever. I don't care. Still plan on watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Son and I had tickets for Mon-Wed this week.  Five games.
Sucks. Had tickets for my son and I this Thursday to see the Mets. Might have to try and go down to Miami later this year to see them, but I’d rather see Spring Training in the newly renovated complex in Port St. Lucie.

See, I just do a search and the first thing I see about Nats/Brewers is a Soto HR in the 8th. I'm guessing it's that game. 

I'm gonna be a PITA in this thread and ask for non-spoiler links.

Someone hook me up with a non-spoiler link to that game. I'll still start there and see how this goes.
YouTube has every MLB game since 2009. Here's a link about it and shows how to search for games:

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/51ghh1/psa_how_to_watch_any_mlb_game_since_2009_for_free/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Users who are viewing this thread