What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (1 Viewer)

Cheapest SRO ticket for Game 3 has shot up from $700 to $850 since the game started (and cheapest Game 4 at $1,000). This town is bonkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any team ever lost the first two at home and come back to win? Embarrassing showing for the Astros.
It’s probably happened more than once, but the Yankees did it in 1996. They lost the first two at home to Atlanta and then won four straight. Got clobbered in game 1, 12-1. 

It’s probably happened more than once, but the Yankees did it in 1996. They lost the first two at home to Atlanta and then won four straight. Got clobbered in game 1, 12-1. 
When Andruw Jones, then 19, clubbed two home runs to become the youngest to do so (that's who Soto was chasing, sort of...)

When Andruw Jones, then 19, clubbed two home runs to become the youngest to do so (that's who Soto was chasing, sort of...)
Yep, a lot of memorable moments in that series. Jones bursting onto the scene, Leyritz homer off Wohlers, Pettitte vs. Smoltz duel, Girardi triple in game 6. Great series. 

I'm still amazed that people are surprised by this outcome so far.

The Nats are a buzzsaw.  But on top of that, the Stros are in a major slump.  Those two things combined have the making of a sweep.  As I pointed out back during the Rays and Yankees series:  The only thing keeping the Astros in these games was their lights out pitching.  If you have no offense, you can still get lucky and win because your pitchers aren't giving up runs.  So all it takes is a bloop and a blast and you can win a game.  The issue now (that started at the end of the Yanks series) is that the pitching is no longer lights out.  They are falling apart.  Hitting their slump.  If you have bad pitching and zero offense, there is no way you can beat a team.  Especially a team like the Nats who are clicking on all cylinders right now.  As a baseball fan, I always hate to see one team slumping in the WS.  Makes me sad for that team that played so well all year then just happened to have their slump at the wrong time.  As a fan of the team that's slumping, this is devastating.  I feel like I'm watching a family member die a slow death.  I honestly won't even watch the next two games.  It just hurts too much.  I think it's over.  Astros might not get swept, but I don't think this series is coming back to Houston.   :no:

Sheik....you’re right. They really don’t have any realistic chance. 
And just to be clear, I'm still pulling for them.  There's always that slight chance they come storming out of their slump.  But the odds are very slim at this point.  I love my Astros.  And always will.  But I'm always real with how I feel about them, good or bad.

And just to be clear, I'm still pulling for them.  There's always that slight chance they come storming out of their slump.  But the odds are very slim at this point.  I love my Astros.  And always will.  But I'm always real with how I feel about them, good or bad.
Maybe last night's ### kicking will light a fire.

It has occurred to me watching the Nationals the last couple nights, they are more similar to the 2017 Astros than the 2019 Astros are.  At least in spirit.  The Nats are having fun, just like the Astros used to do before they became the best team in baseball and carried the weight of heavy expectations into the playoffs this year.

Love the reverse psychology jinx going on in here.  Reminds of BassNBrew in a couple of football threads a few years ago.  

They have to win 2 of 3 in Washington then see what happens back at home.  Gotta start with just one... game 3.  

Maybe last night's ### kicking will light a fire.

It has occurred to me watching the Nationals the last couple nights, they are more similar to the 2017 Astros than the 2019 Astros are.  At least in spirit.  The Nats are having fun, just like the Astros used to do before they became the best team in baseball and carried the weight of heavy expectations into the playoffs this year.
I think the Nats have benefitted from lower expectations themselves.  People were still expecting them to be pretty good this year, but there was a bit less pressure/expectation after losing Harper, and they purposefully stayed under the luxury tax threshold after going above it the past couple of years.  And then everyone was ready to throw in the towel on the club in May.

I still love Bryce and everything that he did for the club (and I don't think addition by subtraction by any stretch), but I also don't think the Nats would be as loose if he was still around.  I don't think he'd be into the theatrics of Parra/Eaton/etc.

Seriously.  The I'm not going to watch the games any more schtick is the best.  Honestly!!!!
I think it's funny that people think I'm trying some reverse jinx or something.  I can assure you I'm not that superstitious.  I joked about a lucky shirt on here, but it was a joke.  

And I'm not NOT watching so they'll win.  I'm not watching because as I've gotten older, sports has become less of a thing for me.  I used to watch every sport and knew all of the stats.  Now, I'm down to baseball and college basketball.  But I enjoy the regular season of baseball so much more.  My heart can't take the postseason.  I've mentioned before that I usually DVR the games and then only watch if my team wins.  It was becoming too much for me to take with the ups and downs.  I don't want to be upset for the next 6 days because my team is losing a championship.  I'd rather enjoy time with my family.  Do something fun.  

Either way, you can believe what you want.  I've always heard the "reverse jinx" as a joke, but do people actually do that?  

I think it's funny that people think I'm trying some reverse jinx or something.  I can assure you I'm not that superstitious.  I joked about a lucky shirt on here, but it was a joke.  

And I'm not NOT watching so they'll win.  I'm not watching because as I've gotten older, sports has become less of a thing for me.  I used to watch every sport and knew all of the stats.  Now, I'm down to baseball and college basketball.  But I enjoy the regular season of baseball so much more.  My heart can't take the postseason.  I've mentioned before that I usually DVR the games and then only watch if my team wins.  It was becoming too much for me to take with the ups and downs.  I don't want to be upset for the next 6 days because my team is losing a championship.  I'd rather enjoy time with my family.  Do something fun.  

Either way, you can believe what you want.  I've always heard the "reverse jinx" as a joke, but do people actually do that?  
It will be Epic if the Astros come back and win this and you'll miss a once in a lifetime (ok, it's happened 3 times before) baseball feat.  Come on man, get a grip and get a hold of yourself.  Screw your family! Championship runs don't happen all the time!  How long did it take the Astros to make a WS?  Hell, it's been 17 years since my Angels won the WS. And congrats on taking the reverse jinx to the next level!

Users who are viewing this thread