What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (3 Viewers)

Yeah, sort of. A position player impacts roughly 10% of his teams at bats and depending upon the position played, roughly that amount in the field (ie, the number of times a ball might be hit to him). But that fielding contribution probably is inflated, as many outs are recorded by strikeout, and many plays are just routine that any player would be expected to make. So I would say defensively an individual player really only impacts 2% of his team's fielding plays.

But since there is offense and defense, that pretty much means a position player impacts 5% of the game offensively and 1% of the game defensively. So 6% of an individual game. Since starting pitchers pitch every 5 games, a position player over 5 games would score 6-6-6-6-6 = a score of 30. If someone wanted to argue that a really good player would impact a game at a rate of 7% instead, that would get the position player up to a score of 35 over 5 games.

Starting pitchers obviously do nothing in 4 games out of 5. But in the one game they play, they have a huge impact. Say a decent starter pitches 7 innings on average. That's 78% of the game while on defense. Pitchers rarely have much impact on offense, so count that as 0. So the average of those two would be 39%. That starter would then have an impact score of 0-0-0-0-39 = 39 total over 5 games. Adding an average of a third of an inning to the stud pitcher's average workload per game, and the pitcher's score would be almost 41 over 5 games.

Bottom line, even though position players could impact every game, in a five game stretch, there may not be as much difference in the impact between a position player and a top notch starting pitcher (and the pitcher could actually have a greater impact). I realize this is a very simplistic break down and there are other components to the game (base running, throwing, moving runners along, etc.), but as an example to illustrate how much impact there is, I think it's not that far off base.
You make good points, but that's why I said "has to be something special."  I didn't say they shouldn't win it.  

How would it factor if it was MOP vs MVP?  2 different things.  Either way, baseball is unique in that it is a team game made up of a bunch of individual performances.

As a Phillies fan, they better have some big signings this offseason.  The farm system is not good enough to get good players through trades.  Plus, even if it was, we can't deplete it anymore.  But there is plenty of money to sign at least 2 BIG free agent's and maybe 1 or 2 smaller ones.  

I'd love to see Wheeler and Rendon signed.  Strengthen yourselves and hurt your competition.  

I think you could easily sign Hamels on a flyer.  And I think Puig would be a nice fit.  There are so many good/decent FA's that could help this team, they better not disappoint.  Hopefully this year we actually get a fun Hot Stove instead of a non-existent one like last year.

I think you wasted too much on Harper, brah. 
1)  I wouldn't call it a waste.  He had a very good year.  And it re-energized the fan base.  People were excited about this team again.  It was an awesome summer in this city.  Sure, we didn't get to the playoffs, but we came close.  Injuries (and a suspension) really hurt us.  By the end of the season, half the team was cobbled together from Reading, Lehigh Valley and castoffs that other teams had cut or traded for nothing.  Yet they still were playing meaningful games with 3 weeks to go.  Plus, it's not like we only get him one year.  He's become a beloved hero in this town.  We love champions, but we love guys who play their hardest, even more.  And Harper has given 110% since he's put on the red pinstripes.

2) We still have plenty of cash.  They were saving enough room to make a run at Trout up until the Angels extended him.  There's plenty of money.  The biggest issue is the draft picks we'll lose to free agents who got a QO.  I think they need to change that rule.  But regardless, you give up a pick if you want to compete.  

I think you wasted too much on Harper, brah. 
The Harper contract is fine for now.  He made $27M in 2019 for a 4 WAR season, which isn't bad value.  It's not unreasonable for him to outperform his contract for the next three or four years if he stays healthy.

The question is how big of an albatross his contract will be a decade from now when he's in his late 30s.  Maybe $23M won't be an exorbitant salary in 2030 but if the TV rights bubble bursts and revenues plummet, it could become a turd.

By the time he got to the bag he was dead nuts in the center. Where is he supposed to go?
What kind of question is that?  There are literally two lines that he's supposed to go between.  That's where he's supposed to go.  They literally drew them on the field for him.  By the time he's half-way down the basepath he has to be in between the two lines or he can be called for runner interference if he impacts the 1st baseman's ability to catch the ball.  That's the rule.

Does he look like he's between those two lines to you?

So he should have slid into 1st base. Only possible way not to interfere. Didn't know the runner isn't entitled to the bag. And he was not out of the baseline. It was a brutally bad call.
No it's not the only possible way to not interfere.  If he runs in the runner's lane than he can't get called for interference even if he's in the way.  If he runs out of the runner's lane (which he did) then he will get called for interference if he ends up in the way.  It's plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man...listened to Francesa’s first hour where he was on the WS. He makes a heckuva case that the 2-1 pitch Greinke threw to Soto with one out in the 7th which was called a ball but was definitely in the zone turned the whole game and series around. He had a really good argument and can’t say I disagree. 

Hence, the reason I said I’m all for the robo strike zone the other day, even when it was a bad call that helped my guys that day. 

It’s super frustrating when a pitcher throws a perfect pitch in the zone that doesn’t get the call more than the other way around for me. 
I was thinking that at the time but I didn't want to sound whiny in the thread.

It turned a 2-2 count into a 3-1 count, and when Soto walked they pulled Greinke.  If he gets that strike call who knows how differently that at bat could have gone and then he wouldn't have been pulled.

I was thinking that at the time but I didn't want to sound whiny in the thread.

It turned a 2-2 count into a 3-1 count, and when Soto walked they pulled Greinke.  If he gets that strike call who knows how differently that at bat could have gone and then he wouldn't have been pulled.
Yeah, Francesa did a whole hour on that and that they named the MVP trophy after Willie Mays when Mays didn’t really do much in the WS. 

I haven’t heard Astro fans complain much about it but we still had Nats fans complaining days later over a correct call that was made in a game they won handily.  

Sucks that the Astros couldn’t get enough key hits in the game early with chances and put it away then a bad ball/strike call wouldn’t have mattered. 

I love Trout.  What's not to love about that guy.  But when I think MVP, I think what guy did the best for his team.  Trout and Bregman have similar numbers, but Bregman's numbers helped his team get to the WS.  Even if Trout had better numbers, I still think getting your team is more of an MVP.  But I don't understand why with similar numbers, Trout would win.  I think he WILL win.  But I think it's dumb.  
He once snapped at me on a golf course. 

Judge Smails said:
Man what type of contract is Yelich going to sign when eligible? More than Harper less than Trout? $340-$375 million?
Yelich will be entering his age 30 season when he hits free agency which is 3 & 4 years older than Trout and Harper respectively.  That'll impact the duration and total value of the deal if not the AAV. 

The other huge factor is the expiration of the current CBA in Dec 2021, a month after Yelich is expected to become a free agent.

Yelich will be entering his age 30 season when he hits free agency which is 3 & 4 years older than Trout and Harper respectively.  That'll impact the duration and total value of the deal if not the AAV. 

The other huge factor is the expiration of the current CBA in Dec 2021, a month after Yelich is expected to become a free agent.
Hindsight is 20-20 but I wonder how much that team friendly 7 year $49M deal is costing him.  

ROY of the year awards go out tonight.  Zero drama in this.  If Alvarez and Alonso don't win, something went horribly wrong in the voting booths and a lot of the hanging chads weren't counted, I'd assume.

I have never understood why baseball doesn’t just announce the winners of everything all at one time instead of dragging it out like they do. 

I have never understood why baseball doesn’t just announce the winners of everything all at one time instead of dragging it out like they do. 
For the same reason any sport does these things.  To stay in the news cycle in the off season.

Ok well you gotta expand on that one :coffee:  
I play often at a course that he plays during spring training. He was in the group in front of me and he plays with the long drive pro that I'll play with on occasion.* He hit a wayward ball onto my hole's fairway near my where I was laying. He comes barreling up in his cart to hit it.  I made a joking comment like, "interesting way to play the hole" or  "at least you got a decent lie" or "hey, wrong fairway" (I don't remember what I said, just your typical light-hearted joke on the course when somebody rolls up on your fair and I'm sure I said it with a beer in my hand). He glares and me and snaps back, "Ha Ha THAT'S FUNNY" and proceeds to hit his ball and drive off without even another glance. I assume he was down a few holes. :shrug:   

*As you'd expect, he murders the ball. 

Judge Smails said:
Hindsight is 20-20 but I wonder how much that team friendly 7 year $49M deal is costing him.  
Mookie Betts is almost a perfect comparison.  Of all the the MLB players in history, Betts is the most similar to Yelich with a Baseball-Reference similarity score of 949.2. 

As of 2019, Betts had made $10M more than Yelich ($32M vs $22M)

In 2020, Betts is expected to make $27M in his final arbitration season compared to Yelich's $12.5M.

In 2021, Betts will be a free agent while Yelich will make $14M.  Let's pencil in Betts for a conservative $30M

In 2022, Betts will be in year two of his new contract while the Brewers hold a $15M option on Yelich.

That totals a $55.5M difference.  It would actually be more since Yelich has one more year of MLB service time (5 to 4) and would be entering free agency this off-season.  $49M is still generational wealth and of offer to a 23 year old for that much in guaranteed money would be hard to pass up.  Betts' pre-arbitration salaries were under $1M per season; he didn't pass Yelich in career earnings until this season.

Not surprising given their home record.  Pretty bad for baseball.    Astros cheating their way to a ring in 2017.   

Mike Fiers and three other unnamed sources have admitted to The Athletic that the Astros stole opposing teams’ signs during home games at Minute Maid Park during that season with the aid of a camera positioned in the outfield

Not surprising given their home record.  Pretty bad for baseball.    Astros cheating their way to a ring in 2017.   

Mike Fiers and three other unnamed sources have admitted to The Athletic that the Astros stole opposing teams’ signs during home games at Minute Maid Park during that season with the aid of a camera positioned in the outfield
So Yu Darvish wasn't tipping his pitches?

Who cares? Everyone does this. It's not even close to cheating. If relaying signs is cheating then so is having secret signs to begin with. :lol:   Just make everything transparent so these purists will stop crying.

Who cares? Everyone does this. It's not even close to cheating. If relaying signs is cheating then so is having secret signs to begin with. :lol:   Just make everything transparent so these purists will stop crying.
Who is relaying signs with no one on second base?

I didn't see this coming even with a Telephoto lens in CF.

@PavlovicNBCS: The Giants have chosen Gabe Kapler as their next manager. He was the favorite from the beginning, and in the end he is Farhan Zaidi's choice.

@PavlovicNBCS: The Giants have chosen Gabe Kapler as their next manager. He was the favorite from the beginning, and in the end he is Farhan Zaidi's choice.
Farhan's honeymoon with Giants fans is over

ETA:  Yikes, the comments

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't commented here in awhile. So the Phillies hired Girardi. Not really happy about this. Wanted Buck or Maddon honestly. Girardi has a few questionable moves how he's handled young pitching staffs. He also doesn't related well to Young players from what I've heard from Yankee fan friends and he apparently had a falling out with Yankee Vets in Posada and Jeter and one other. He also has a laundry list of pitchers he's screwed the careers of most famously pitching Josh Johnson after a rain delay in his MIAMI days after almost a 1 and 1/2 hour delay after he had started the game. Some experts feel that was the beginning of the end for Johnson with injuries starting to mount shortly after. 

Honestly I feel the dude is incredible overrated. My friends said the year the Yankees missed the playoffs with all the injuries dude had issues putting a line up together that didn't have Posada/A-Rod/Tex/Jeter at times etc missing all star players. I feel anyone could've won a WS with the teams he had together. I give it a year before the Phillies fans who are singing his praise now turn on him. Just something about this guy doesn't sit with me. He reminds of of a fast talking used car salesman trying to sell you his cheapest used card for dirt cheap acting like its a great buy. Minute you get it you start to ask yourself if this thing is street legal safe and can it get me to the grocery store and back without dying. 

I haven't commented here in awhile. So the Phillies hired Girardi. Not really happy about this. Wanted Buck or Maddon honestly. Girardi has a few questionable moves how he's handled young pitching staffs. He also doesn't related well to Young players from what I've heard from Yankee fan friends and he apparently had a falling out with Yankee Vets in Posada and Jeter and one other. He also has a laundry list of pitchers he's screwed the careers of most famously pitching Josh Johnson after a rain delay in his MIAMI days after almost a 1 and 1/2 hour delay after he had started the game. Some experts feel that was the beginning of the end for Johnson with injuries starting to mount shortly after. 

Honestly I feel the dude is incredible overrated. My friends said the year the Yankees missed the playoffs with all the injuries dude had issues putting a line up together that didn't have Posada/A-Rod/Tex/Jeter at times etc missing all star players. I feel anyone could've won a WS with the teams he had together. I give it a year before the Phillies fans who are singing his praise now turn on him. Just something about this guy doesn't sit with me. He reminds of of a fast talking used car salesman trying to sell you his cheapest used card for dirt cheap acting like its a great buy. Minute you get it you start to ask yourself if this thing is street legal safe and can it get me to the grocery store and back without dying. 
At least you don't have Kapler anymore

What I hope happens out of all this is they follow football’s lead and come up with some kind of wireless earpiece for the battery (or heck even all 9 players- let them in on the pitch and play defense accordingly). Let the pitching coach and manager have it too and they could actually call pitches from the dugout if they want. 

You get caught trying to hack into it or something like that and it would be major penalties. 

No more crying about sign stealing. No more catcher cross up BS passed balls. Shorter game times. 

Voilla 

The Astros cheating is pretty astounding to me - then seeing their home road splits this year and it’s even more blatant. 

The Astros cheating is pretty astounding to me - then seeing their home road splits this year and it’s even more blatant. 
You’re gonna need more proof than they had a good record at home for this “blatant” cheating after the rule was changed. 

Whatever they allegedly did in 2017 was legal at the time. 

The Astros have a lot of smart people running them who aren’t necessarily baseball people. They will push the envelope as far as they can to win because that’s what their hired to do. 

Kapler is terrible and I can't believe another major league team hired him.  The Giants must hate winning.

I know this probably won't hold much water coming from an Astros fan, but stealing signs is not a huge deal.  And I wouldn't care who did/does it.  (Keep in mind, the article said multiple teams, but the Astros are being focused on because they won the WS.)

First off, Fiers is an ###hole.  Never been a fan of guys who are OK "cheating" when it's helping them, but then report it once it's no longer helping.  

But more importantly, it's the 21st century.  There are cameras everywhere.  If you are still throwing down a single amount of fingers to indicate a pitch, that's on you.  You should be using an encrypted system like the 3rd base coach giving signals.  And honestly, I'd be OK with the pitcher and catcher being able to communicate with each other using some tech device.  Why do we force them to give signs in the year 2019?!?  It's dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread