What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (2 Viewers)

gump said:
Mike Trout!  Now tied for the 2nd most MVPs in baseball history.  :tebow:
I'm a huge Trout fan.  But Bregman should have won.  I also feel like if Trout could win and miss a chunk of the season, then maybe Yellich should have won for the NL.

One thing I don't get about the sign stealing accusations is that I thought I read that MLB put a representative in each dugout to make sure no cameras or video devices were being used.  If this is true, how did they get away with it?  I know they said it was down the tunnel, but I would think the reps would still have access to that area. 

One thing I don't get about the sign stealing accusations is that I thought I read that MLB put a representative in each dugout to make sure no cameras or video devices were being used.  If this is true, how did they get away with it?  I know they said it was down the tunnel, but I would think the reps would still have access to that area. 
They did this after 2017

Apples and oranges.  Sign stealing has been part of the game forever.  It's like saying you watched an NHL game, saw a guy fight and only get a penalty, yet in the NBA he'd get a suspension.  
Sign stealing using a video has been part of the game forever? Who knew

Look sign stealing WITHOUT video has been going on since the dawn of baseball. Its why catchers change the signs when a runner is on second. But when a runner is NOT on second, the catcher throws down #1 for fastball, #2 for changeup, etc. They've been doing that forever too. Its because they don't think a team has an illegal video camera in centerfield sending signs to the dugout.

Look sign stealing WITHOUT video has been going on since the dawn of baseball. Its why catchers change the signs when a runner is on second. But when a runner is NOT on second, the catcher throws down #1 for fastball, #2 for changeup, etc. They've been doing that forever too. Its because they don't think a team has an illegal video camera in centerfield sending signs to the dugout.
Again, we live in a world where cameras are everywhere.  If you're dumb enough to throw down a one or a two, you deserve to have your signs stolen.  Being dumb is not an excuse.  

Again, we live in a world where cameras are everywhere.  If you're dumb enough to throw down a one or a two, you deserve to have your signs stolen.  Being dumb is not an excuse.  
This sounds a little like victim blaming but whatever. Im not gonna debate this crap anymore with completely illogical and biased Astros fans. Just wait until the suspensions come down. They should be hefty.

Capella said:
really don’t care at all (I think all teams should cheat as much as possible) but you can’t just ignore what a player on the team is saying like he’s some jilted boyfriend with hurt feelings.

Players change teams literally all the time without making these accusations. You’re just being a super homer here. Your team cheated. They got away with it. It’s not a personal assault on your character. Just enjoy it. I would find it hilarious if my team cheated this much and pulled it off. I wish the Bucs would start cheating for God’s sake. 
Yeah I feel they pushed the envelope and want to see what comes out of it. I think it probably goes way beyond the Astros. I’m pretty sure it was going on big time in the ‘18 ALCS and the Astros knew without a doubt that Boston was doing it. I think Beltran was the ringleader of the whole thing but I see an article today where he has doubled down on saying nothing illegal was done. 

I think the organization that ought to be most upset probably ought to be LA. Going to be interesting to see what happens in the coming months of the offseason. 

If earpieces/ electronic strike zone happens, I’ll be happy. Baseball needs to keep up with technology and the times.    

This sounds a little like victim blaming but whatever. Im not gonna debate this crap anymore with completely illogical and biased Astros fans. Just wait until the suspensions come down. They should be hefty.
First of all, GB, you know I love you.  

But as I stated from the beginning, I don't care what team it is/was, I don't think sign stealing is bad.  I don't think it's victim blaming because I don't think there's a victim.  The Astros have had players come and go, on and off the team for the past 3-4 years they've said this was going on.  Why didn't any other player bring it up?  It's just not a big deal. 

We can disagree on this.  But remember....

BOOM!  AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-e-IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-o-UUUUUUUUUUUU! 

That’s not just sign stealing, it was an organized team wide plan to cheat. It would be no different than using a pointed microphone into a team’s huddle and feeding that information to the defense before each snap.  

I’m reading on Twitter that a bunch of fake stuff being floated around on YouTube by Yankee fans. I have seen a bunch of stuff. One I saw last night had whistling in ‘17 WS game 5. Have no idea if it was fake. Wouldn’t surprise me. It would take a lot of balls to try it the in actual WS where everyone is watching. Seems like a bad system to me if they’re using sounds. 

That’s not just sign stealing, it was an organized team wide plan to cheat. It would be no different than using a pointed microphone into a team’s huddle and feeding that information to the defense before each snap.  

That would be different.  That's telling you the direct play.  While knowing the pitch is helpful, you still don't know where that pitch is going.  Is it up?  Down?  Is it burying it?  Is it breaking in the zone or out?  There's also a big difference between a change up and a breaking ball.  So, yes, knowing what pitch is obviously helpful, it does not tell you everything.

I’m reading on Twitter that a bunch of fake stuff being floated around on YouTube by Yankee fans. I have seen a bunch of stuff. One I saw last night had whistling in ‘17 WS game 5. Have no idea if it was fake. Wouldn’t surprise me. It would take a lot of balls to try it the in actual WS where everyone is watching. Seems like a bad system to me if they’re using sounds. 
Is the jomboy video or the one linked above in the NYPost article fake?

That would be different.  That's telling you the direct play.  While knowing the pitch is helpful, you still don't know where that pitch is going.  Is it up?  Down?  Is it burying it?  Is it breaking in the zone or out?  There's also a big difference between a change up and a breaking ball.  So, yes, knowing what pitch is obviously helpful, it does not tell you everything.
But it is helpful :shrug:

Is the jomboy video or the one linked above in the NYPost article fake?
I doubt it. I would think regular season games where the crowd is sparse and noise is low would be when you’d try to do it. 

If it comes out that it was done in the playoffs all hell gonna break loose lol. 

I doubt it. I would think regular season games where the crowd is sparse and noise is low would be when you’d try to do it. 

If it comes out that it was done in the playoffs all hell gonna break loose lol. 
Why would they do it in regular season but not in playoffs?

To the people that think this is serious, what kind of penalties are you thinking are warranted?  Is this worse than what the Cardinals did with the hacking?  Serious question.  

To the people that think this is serious, what kind of penalties are you thinking are warranted?  Is this worse than what the Cardinals did with the hacking?  Serious question.  
I expect a lengthy suspension for Hinch, loss of draft picks, and a big fine. Also, possible smaller suspensions for Cora & Beltran (20 games?)

Yes.  I said that.  I was referencing how he said it's like listening in on the huddle in football.  I was just saying that's not the same.  
Data coming out suggests that it’s more than a little helpful...

Year.  SwingingK%(Rank)   K% Home (Rank)   K% Away (Rank)

2016.  11.5%(28th).  24.5 (28th).  22.4(20th)

2017   8.5%(1st)   16.7(1st)   17.9(1st)

2018   8.9%(T-1st)   19.2(2nd)   19.7(3rd)

2019   8.6%(1st)   18.5(T-1st)   18(T-st)

Data coming out suggests that it’s more than a little helpful...

Year.  SwingingK%(Rank)   K% Home (Rank)   K% Away (Rank)

2016.  11.5%(28th).  24.5 (28th).  22.4(20th)

2017   8.5%(1st)   16.7(1st)   17.9(1st)

2018   8.9%(T-1st)   19.2(2nd)   19.7(3rd)

2019   8.6%(1st)   18.5(T-1st)   18(T-st)
I mean that looks bad but their Away K% isn't that different than their Home K% in the 2017-2019 seasons.

I mean that looks bad but their Away K% isn't that different than their Home K% in the 2017-2019 seasons.
Yes.  This was brought up earlier.  People tend to forget the Astros sucked for the years before they won the WS.  They were literally publicly tanking.  

I expect a lengthy suspension for Hinch, loss of draft picks, and a big fine. Also, possible smaller suspensions for Cora & Beltran (20 games?)
So the Cards lost their first two picks and were fined 2 million dollars.  Would the Astros get more or less?

Wouldn't they have to plant a video camera in the opposing team's CF stadium to do it in away games? I dunno how possible that is.
I don’t know exactly what the communication looks like for them going from the outfield to the dugout, but I don’t see how hard it would be to have someone hang out with a camera and just signal that in. A camera the size of a credit card can put HD clarity on the catchers crotch.  It wouldn’t be that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know exactly what the communication looks like for them going from the outfield to the dugout, but I don’t see how hard it would be to have someone hang out with a camera and just signal that in. A camera the size of a credit card can put HD clarity on the catchers crotch.  It wouldn’t be that hard.
Again, all the more reasons that teams should have been more careful with their signals.  It just seems so easy to use technology to steal the signs.  Trusting others just seems odd.

In sports, people are always looking for a competitive edge.  Why give someone an opportunity to take advantage of you?   

First of all, GB, you know I love you.  

But as I stated from the beginning, I don't care what team it is/was, I don't think sign stealing is bad.  I don't think it's victim blaming because I don't think there's a victim.  The Astros have had players come and go, on and off the team for the past 3-4 years they've said this was going on.  Why didn't any other player bring it up?  It's just not a big deal. 

We can disagree on this.  But remember....

BOOM!  AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-e-IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVEEEEEE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-o-UUUUUUUUUUUU! 
:mellow:

Funny people saying this wasn't illegal in 2017 didn't see this

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — What did the Astros know, and when did they steal it?

That question could guide Major League Baseball’s investigation into the reigning American League champions regarding allegations that they electronically (and illegally) stole signs from opposing teams during their 2017 championship season. And early evidence would seem to put Houston in trouble.

On September 15, 2017, MLB announced the Red Sox would be fined an undisclosed amount for utilizing Apple Watches in their dugout to swipe signals from the Yankees; the Yankees paid a smaller undisclosed amount for improper usage of a dugout phone. That day, in a statement, commissioner Rob Manfred disclosed that all teams had been notified of the following: “Future violations of this type will be subject to more serious sanctions, including the possible loss of draft picks.”

On Tuesday, The Athletic, quoting 2017 Astros pitcher Mike Fiers, reported that the club utilized a camera positioned in center field and focused on the opposing catcher to steal signals, conveying their findings through the banging of a garbage can in a tunnel connecting the Astros’ dugout to their clubhouse. Retired pitcher Danny Farquhar shared his recollection of a suspicious incident at Minute Maid that occurred that season while he was pitching for the White Sox. Twitter baseball detective @Jomboy_ subsequently dug up video that substantiated Farquhar’s allegations during an at-bat against Houston’s Evan Gattis.

That White Sox-Astros game took place on September 21, 2017, six days after MLB made its announcement, therefore seemingly putting the Astros in violation of the reinforced and heightened guidelines.

Manfred is expected to discuss baseball’s investigation of the Astros, which also will cover the organization’s conduct during the Brandon Taubman scandal last month, at next week’s owners’ meetings.

Again, all the more reasons that teams should have been more careful with their signals.  It just seems so easy to use technology to steal the signs.  Trusting others just seems odd.

In sports, people are always looking for a competitive edge.  Why give someone an opportunity to take advantage of you?   
Why can people just not be ####ty cheaters?

I guess people will defend anything so...

Why can people just not be ####ty cheaters?

I guess people will defend anything so...
Have you ever played sports, GB?  Everyone is trying to get an edge.  Pushing the limits of the rules.  Some rule violations get you a penalty like 5 yards.  Or a 2 minute penalty.  Or get the other team a foul shot or result in a turnover.

"Cheating" is part of every sport.  Athletes will always try to push the boundaries.  To act like this is something like a murder is ridiculous.  But more importantly, figure out a way not to be taken advantage of.  

Have you ever played sports, GB?  Everyone is trying to get an edge.  Pushing the limits of the rules.  Some rule violations get you a penalty like 5 yards.  Or a 2 minute penalty.  Or get the other team a foul shot or result in a turnover.

"Cheating" is part of every sport.  Athletes will always try to push the boundaries.  To act like this is something like a murder is ridiculous.  But more importantly, figure out a way not to be taken advantage of.  
Lol, I always love the “have you ever played sports” argument. I played baseball through HS. My step-dad played in the Royals organization years ago. Regardless, that doesn’t make anyone more or less educated on the subject. 

Do you have to work on Wall Street to speak on finance?  Work in healthcare to speak about cost of care?  Be a mechanic to comment on cars?

Lol, I always love the “have you ever played sports” argument. I played baseball through HS. My step-dad played in the Royals organization years ago. Regardless, that doesn’t make anyone more or less educated on the subject. 

Do you have to work on Wall Street to speak on finance?  Work in healthcare to speak about cost of care?  Be a mechanic to comment on cars?
I was simply asking because if you've played sports, you know that people are always pushing the boundaries.  

I was simply asking because if you've played sports, you know that people are always pushing the boundaries.  
Pushing boundaries is seeing that the pitcher holds his glove lower on curve balls, setting a non-player/coach up with technology to view what the other team is planning to do in real time is premeditated cheating. 

Sounds like they’re toast if they did it a lot in the season and into the playoffs. Could be a major scandal. Only thing that might save them is that it technically wasn’t illegal at the time. 

And for the record, I'm all for them getting penalties/fines/suspensions if they are found to have broken the rules.  My point is that I think the rule is dumb.  But it's still a rule.  So you have to follow the rules.  

I just don't think sign stealing is that big of a deal.  

And for the record, I'm all for them getting penalties/fines/suspensions if they are found to have broken the rules.  My point is that I think the rule is dumb.  But it's still a rule.  So you have to follow the rules.  

I just don't think sign stealing is that big of a deal.  
Sean Doolittle disagrees but he only plays professional baseball, so I don’t know if that qualifies him to speak on the subject.

https://twitter.com/whatwouldDOOdo/status/1195155484384354305

What are you talking about?  This post has nothing to do with what I just posted.  
You keep saying “it’s just sign stealing” over and over. I can’t tell if you’re purposely downplaying this or you’re just being dense.  It’s not just sign stealing, and referring to this situation as such is misleading. 

Sign stealing (the way they are accused of it) is a big deal. This fiasco reminds me of that movie Quiz Show which was about cheating in a 50’s game show. 

I watched the Astros starting in 1980. So 37 years to see them make it to the top and now this. I’m disappointed right now. 

I am pretty sure that the Rangers were  doing something this year too. Just rocked Gerrit Cole in an early season game. No way they did that without help.

Users who are viewing this thread