What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (5 Viewers)

Sox caught with Apple watches in Sept '17. MLB fined them and put everyone in notice that future violations could result in serious penalties. The Danny Farquhuar video posted by Jomboy happened 6 days after MLBs warning. 
It was an arms race going on at the highest levels of baseball being played. For sure. 

It was an arms race going on at the highest levels of baseball being played. For sure. 
So despite all the overwhelming evidence against the Astros you're still not convinced but all the teams doing this despite little evidence your sure about. Gotcha

So despite all the overwhelming evidence against the Astros you're still not convinced but all the teams doing this despite little evidence your sure about. Gotcha
Not sure I understand your statement there. A bit confusing. 

If you look back though, I commented earlier I believe 99.9% that Houston was cheating. Hopefully that addresses what you’re saying there. 

I really, really hope that the guy who wrote Astroball does a follow up book on this. He’s been real quiet on twitter through all this. 

Why didn't other former Astros come out and complain?  It just seems odd.  Was watching IT and Chris Rose was saying his opinion of the Astros would change if this proves to be true.  And Kevin Millar said that's ridiculous because all teams are doing this type of stuff.

Why didn't other former Astros come out and complain?  It just seems odd.  Was watching IT and Chris Rose was saying his opinion of the Astros would change if this proves to be true.  And Kevin Millar said that's ridiculous because all teams are doing this type of stuff.
Same reason players didn’t say anything when others were doping, baseball abides by street culture of no snitching and governing with unwritten rules.  It’s the same reason Millar feels the way he does as well.  Stop thinking about baseball players as “normal” members of society who abide by norms.  They’re a bunch of guys who play a game for a living, most of whom were poached directly from HS and thrown on the road into a roaming fraternity of pranks and fart jokes. 

Same reason players didn’t say anything when others were doping, baseball abides by street culture of no snitching and governing with unwritten rules.  It’s the same reason Millar feels the way he does as well.  Stop thinking about baseball players as “normal” members of society who abide by norms.  They’re a bunch of guys who play a game for a living, most of whom were poached directly from HS and thrown on the road into a roaming fraternity of pranks and fart jokes. 
No.  I think you're completely wrong.  As wrong as when you said "pushing the boundaries was noticing if a pitcher holds his glove higher when throwing a fastball."  

Baseball players know that everyone is doing this.  Or a version of this.  The fact that people are acting like this is a crime similar to hacking into someone's computer is laughable.  I mean, listen, we're talking about sign stealing, not a crime, not a crime, not a crime, we talking about sign stealing. Not a crime. Not, not … Not a crime that I go out there and die doing like it's my last. Not a crime, but we're talking about sign stealing, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about sign stealing. I know they're not supposed to be steal signs. I know they're  supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about sign stealing, man. What are we talking about? Sign stealing? We're talking about sign stealing, man. We're talking about sign stealing. We're talking about sign stealing. We ain't talking about a crime. We're talking about sign stealing, man. When you come to the ball park, and you see them play, you see them play fairly don't you? You've seen them give everything they've got, right? But we're talking about sign stealing right now. We talking about sign stealing.

Stealing signs and tipping them even using a trashcan is fine.  

Not when you are stealing them via live video as its going on.  I f you figure out a pitching tell or catcher tell or sign then so be it

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealing signs and tipping them even using a trashcan is fine.  

Not when you are stealing them via live video as its going on.  I f you figure out a pitching tell or catcher tell or sign then so be it
Right.  Worse than murder, but slightly less worse than treason.

Get back to me when you have a smoking gun about a camera in center field. 

Otherwise you have trashcan banging on sparse attended September games in 2017. 

It is possible the Astros come clean and open up every can of worms they know on others. From their own intelligence and guys coming from other teams. 

I personally can't wait until they make a 30 for 30 on this era of baseball. It will be fascinating. 
Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/bhT5fQS

Look at all the pics. The camera is on a level above the 3 broadcast cameras next to the big coke bottle. https://imgur.com/a/bhT5fQS
I'm guessing that's also a TV camera.  I'm not saying they don't have a camera out there, but that's a dude with a huge camera just out in the open.  If that was the camera, I think we'd be hearing about this before Fiers said anything.  I'm guessing the camera they used is probably a very small camera that is operated remotely.  

And if that IS the camera, not only do the Astros have use wheelbarrows to carry around their huge balls, but everyone else should have their eyes checked.  Talk about hiding out in plain sight.

This picture of the monitor being taken away after the game also looks bad for the Astros and corroborates the allegations. https://i.redd.it/14zod088rbz31.jpg
Again, not saying it's not that, but a lot of teams have monitors back there.  If you watch baseball enough, you'll hear the announcers talk about how a guy will strike out, walk back to the dugout, go into the tunnel, then walk right back out and start chirping at the ump.  And that's because they watch a video of the at bat and can see if the ump called them out on a ball.

TheIronSheik said:
I'm guessing that's also a TV camera.  I'm not saying they don't have a camera out there, but that's a dude with a huge camera just out in the open.  If that was the camera, I think we'd be hearing about this before Fiers said anything.  I'm guessing the camera they used is probably a very small camera that is operated remotely.  

And if that IS the camera, not only do the Astros have use wheelbarrows to carry around their huge balls, but everyone else should have their eyes checked.  Talk about hiding out in plain sight.
I'm not passing judgment yet, but the guy operating the camera in question is wearing an orange shirt (1st pic) https://imgur.com/a/bhT5fQS

TheIronSheik said:
Again, not saying it's not that, but a lot of teams have monitors back there.  If you watch baseball enough, you'll hear the announcers talk about how a guy will strike out, walk back to the dugout, go into the tunnel, then walk right back out and start chirping at the ump.  And that's because they watch a video of the at bat and can see if the ump called them out on a ball.
Interesting story from Ben Davis (former catcher and current announcer for the Phillies).... he said that whenever he played for the Giants and the ump made a particularly bad call on balls/strikes, and he was SURE it was the wrong call, he would scoop up a handful of dirt and toss it aside. This was a signal to Bochy to let him know he could really start chirping at the ump. 

MLB already knew everything

I wouldn’t look for anything too serious to come out of this for the Astros. 
I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.  This means they knew they were cheating, and were gathering evidence. Also this is now known by fans, lack of reaction is something that will alienate every other fanbase.  The NFL can get away with this because they have a stranglehold on everything, MLB can’t shove this aside. 

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.  This means they knew they were cheating, and were gathering evidence. Also this is now known by fans, lack of reaction is something that will alienate every other fanbase.  The NFL can get away with this because they have a stranglehold on everything, MLB can’t shove this aside. 
I think you are taking this more seriously than most baseball fans.

They knew about banging, which is what Fiers told and let the cat out of the bag to the general public. They updated all the rules early this year, probably because of all this. So I’m not sure there’s much of a leg to stand on for any complaints about 2017. 

@bigmarc27 just out of curiosity, which baseball team are you a fan of?
Braves. 

Our former GM got busted for his antics with international signees and was rightfully banned from baseball.  Our biggest stake in this is a lot of shame in wondering what role McCann played in this, but personally as a baseball fan I find all of this disheartening.  

Braves. 

Our former GM got busted for his antics with international signees and was rightfully banned from baseball.  Our biggest stake in this is a lot of shame in wondering what role McCann played in this, but personally as a baseball fan I find all of this disheartening.  
So disheartening.  Ugh.  The agony of it all.  Will you be able to muster up the strength to go on?  I'll pray for you and your loved ones.

So disheartening.  Ugh.  The agony of it all.  Will you be able to muster up the strength to go on?  I'll pray for you and your loved ones.
I’d rather you not think or respond to me in any regard.  You bring nothing of substance, just denials in the face of every article and proof point. 

Yeah, the Braves haven’t exactly been the poster child for the model baseball franchise recently. 

I will say that if Luhnow gets banned like the Braves GM did, that’s it for the Astros. Bye bye, they will go back to sucking again. 

Probably what most everyone wants. 

My team lost to the Cards?  Why would I give a #### about the Astros. You guys couldn’t beat our rivals while cheating. 
First off, the question mark should go after the bolded, not the first sentence.  You seemed to have mixed that up.  

Second, that type of info I just wrote above is substantial.   So that proves your argument that I bring nothing of substance to this (my) thread.

Third, I love how you can't shut up about the Astros cheating, then you ask the bolded?  :lol:   

Fourth, considering you're a Braves fan, I can understand why you're a whiny anti-fan.  To continually win the division but constantly get beat in the playoffs has to leave some kind of PTSD on its fan base.  I mean, you guys are terrible.  

Alas, I think the end is nigh for our intercourse.  Tis a shame.  Seemed a good man but let anger overcome his mind, body and soul.

Anyway, how about those cheating Astros?  Amirite?

Baseball will be a in a great place if earpieces come out of this. Add in electronic strike zone and I’d be ecstatic. 

All teams are trying to get an advantage. Maybe the league makes an example out of the Astros, idk but seeing as how they’ve known everything we all just recently found out I feel like it won’t be real harsh. 

Heck, I don’t want other teams getting the Astros signs either. The Texas Rangers put up 9 runs in 4 1/3 innings on Gerrit Cole in a game in April this year. Am I supposed to  believe they just did that on their own with no help?

Pictures of a tv screen and or laptop dont prove anything imo. Their presence doesn't mean that there is some live feed happening.  Maybe there is/was, maybe  ot but I dont think the fact there is a tv sitting there means any cheating was taking place.

Pictures of a tv screen and or laptop dont prove anything imo. Their presence doesn't mean that there is some live feed happening.  Maybe there is/was, maybe  ot but I dont think the fact there is a tv sitting there means any cheating was taking place.
Twitter is going crazy with conspiracy theories. 

One clip someone put up shows Springer looking away from the pitcher for a split second and saying that proves something. 

😂

First off, the question mark should go after the bolded, not the first sentence.  You seemed to have mixed that up.  

Second, that type of info I just wrote above is substantial.   So that proves your argument that I bring nothing of substance to this (my) thread.

Third, I love how you can't shut up about the Astros cheating, then you ask the bolded?  :lol:   

Fourth, considering you're a Braves fan, I can understand why you're a whiny anti-fan.  To continually win the division but constantly get beat in the playoffs has to leave some kind of PTSD on its fan base.  I mean, you guys are terrible.  
Man, I didn’t know the Sheik could lay the wood like this. Wow. 

Users who are viewing this thread