Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2020 MLB Spring Training

58 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yeah, what wins out: His childhood dream or her desire to live in California?  

Other: Whichever teams offers the most money (just like every other big FA in history). All that stuff about which coast they prefer and what teams they liked growing up is just sports-talk fodder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Even stranger is that I see ESPN has an article saying they expect Rendon to be the first big name FA to sign this offseason.  Could the Winter Meetings actually be eventful this year?  

Since the Minnesota twins did not tender to CJ Cron, that must mean that Sano is moving to first base and I would hope they would talk to Rendon or at least Donaldson

• Love 1

broke mets kicking tires on treinen, pillar.  i couldn’t have been born in the bronx instead of queens?

9 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

broke mets kicking tires on treinen, pillar.  i couldn’t have been born in the bronx instead of queens?

7-8-9 Familia-Treinen-Diaz

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

30 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

Cheap mets kicking tires on treinen, pillar.  i couldn’t have been born in the bronx instead of queens?

FYP. Honestly, I think they could get some decent return for Dom Smith who is a talent without a position. That doesn’t help the FA spending, but could help fill a hole. 

Edited by MindCrime

14 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I see the Yanks are meeting with Stras and Cole this week.  I would imagine if they are meeting, they are serious about getting one of these guys.  Which means that at least one of these guys would be off the market.  If I was a team interested in one of these guys, knowing these meetings are happening this week, I'd be making a push to sign one of them as quickly as possible.  This sounds like a calculated move by Boras.

Most stories I read sounds like Yankees won't be getting either one or Wheeler. Which sucks. 

8 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

Other: Whichever teams offers the most money (just like every other big FA in history). All that stuff about which coast they prefer and what teams they liked growing up is just sports-talk fodder.

Exhibit A: Patrick Corbin

17 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

This isn't always true.  

Saw an article talking about the best 7 FA's available and who's "in" on them.  Interesting pattern:

1. Gerrit Cole - Angels, Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, Padres, White Sox, Nationals, Giants
2. Anthony Rendon - Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies
3. Stephen Strasburg - Nationals, Yankees, Dodgers, Padres, Phillies, Angels
4. Josh Donaldson - Braves, Phillies, Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers
5. Zack Wheeler - Braves, Phillies, White Sox, Yankees
6. Madison Bumgarner - Braves, Phillies, Padres, Yankees, White Sox
7. Nicholas Castellanos - Marlins, Phillies, Royals, Giants

Also saw that the Phillies are the frontrunner with Wheeler right now.  I'm guessing their thought is if they can sign him early, they can better entice other FA's to sign afterwards.  

I'm not sure if I like the Wheeler deal or not for the Phillies.  Honestly, I like Wheeler going to the Astros better than the Phils.  They seem to be able to elevate good pitchers.  I'd rather the Phils go after a pitcher like Cole or Stras if they wanted a decent pitcher.  Not that I'd complain either way.  But if I had my choice, Wheeler would be my third.

crew has freed up a ton of money seems like there is another shoe to drop in ole brew town take that to the bank brohans 

2 minutes ago, SWC said:

crew has freed up a ton of money seems like there is another shoe to drop in ole brew town take that to the bank brohans 

Are you thinking/hoping it's a position player or pitcher?  And do they get rid of Hader to get the second shoe?

i dont think they will ever get rid of haderade that guy is beloved beyond belief here i have a feeling it will be starting pitching and possibly more than one but that is just me talkin take that to the bank bromigo

Edited by SWC
edited to add that the crew brought in lo cain and yelly in january so its getting to be about that time bam another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

This isn't always true.  

examples of a big-time FA, getting their first-crack at FA, going anywhere other than to the highest bidder?

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Saw an article talking about the best 7 FA's available and who's "in" on them.  Interesting pattern:

1. Gerrit Cole - Angels, Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, Padres, White Sox, Nationals, Giants
2. Anthony Rendon - Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies
3. Stephen Strasburg - Nationals, Yankees, Dodgers, Padres, Phillies, Angels
4. Josh Donaldson - Braves, Phillies, Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers
5. Zack Wheeler - Braves, Phillies, White Sox, Yankees
6. Madison Bumgarner - Braves, Phillies, Padres, Yankees, White Sox
7. Nicholas Castellanos - Marlins, Phillies, Royals, Giants

Also saw that the Phillies are the frontrunner with Wheeler right now.  I'm guessing their thought is if they can sign him early, they can better entice other FA's to sign afterwards.  

Hopefully they're just doing the exact opposite of last year where everyone knew they wanted Harper thanks to the "stupid money" comments. They need SP way more than offense. I like Cole and Wheeler. I'm afraid Strasburg is too fragile to give a huge contract.

20 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

examples of a big-time FA, getting their first-crack at FA, going anywhere other than to the highest bidder?

Harper comes to mind immediately.

Hopefully they're just doing the exact opposite of last year where everyone knew they wanted Harper thanks to the "stupid money" comments. They need SP way more than offense. I like Cole and Wheeler. I'm afraid Strasburg is too fragile to give a huge contract.

They need some position players, too.  The left side of the infield is slightly better than a lot of LLWS teams.

Harper? Someone offered a higher contract offer than the Phils?

They do need a 3B/SS, but shouldn't be hard to find someone that can be more productive than Maik.

2 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Harper? Someone offered a higher contract offer than the Phils?

They do need a 3B/SS, but shouldn't be hard to find someone that can be more productive than Maik.

I believe both the Dodgers and Giants offered more money.

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

I believe both the Dodgers and Giants offered more money.

Not the case. They both made offers, but not as much money or years as the Phils.

There have been a handful of guys over the years that have given "home-town discounts" on a contract, but never a really big-name guy on his first crack at FA. Too much at stake for the player/agent to accept anything less. Would also be majorly frowned upon by the MLB union as it would be affecting the "value" of all future FA's.

Apparently the Yanks told Cole in their meeting that the money he wants will be there if he wants to become a Yankee.

Also looks like the Phils have a lot of interest in Didi.

Reports are that Wheeler could sign today.  It's thought that the three possible landing spots for him are the Phillies, Reds or White Sox.

Are you thinking/hoping it's a position player or pitcher?  And do they get rid of Hader to get the second shoe?

I think Hader is a goner. I don't think his value will ever be higher. He was just recently granted Super-2 so he's going to get expensive quicker than planned. And his HR rate last year was alarming. Sell high and plug some holes. Remember this post when it happens.

• Like 5

I’d really be surprised if Wheeler lives up to a $100MM deal. He has a lot of talent but is frustratingly inconsistent. That doesn’t seem like something that gets fixed so deep into a career. 

I am totally super pissed about Cole Hamels signing with the Braves!  :hot:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I think Hader is a goner. I don't think his value will ever be higher. He was just recently granted Super-2 so he's going to get expensive quicker than planned. And his HR rate last year was alarming. Sell high and plug some holes. Remember this post when it happens.

Relievers are volatile and Hader has been worked hard.  It makes sense for Stearns to entertain offers while Hader's value is high.

Disclaimer:  I own Knebel in a dynasty league.

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Relievers are volatile and Hader has been worked hard.  It makes sense for Stearns to entertain offers while Hader's value is high.

Disclaimer:  I own Knebel in a dynasty league.

I'm at the point where I think it would be a mistake not to deal him now. The package they'd get is as high as it will ever be going forward. And the more that NL batters get to see his fastball and figure out his delivery, the easier it becomes to time up that fastball. If he's not willing to throw anything else, how can one assume he's not going to regress. I guess there's always that chance of duplicating the success of Mariano Rivera throwing just one pitch. But I'm not taking that chance.

33 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

I am totally super pissed about Cole Hamels signing with the Braves!  :hot:

Would've bet the house that he'd be in red pinstripes come Spring Training.  Makes me sad to know he's gone to the Braves.

Saw the report just come across that the Phils are taking a serious look at trying to sign Strasburg.  I know they have money to burn, but not sure I'd want them to sign Wheeler and Strasburg.  Get one of them and then go after someone like Rendon, if you're looking to spend big.  

The Angels buy the Big A and the surrounding parking lots from the city of Anaheim for $325M.  In exchange, they agree to remain in the city through 2050.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about the deal but the sale price is less than the value of Mike Trout's contract.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Angels buy the Big A and the surrounding parking lots from the city of Anaheim for $325M.  In exchange, they agree to remain in the city through 2050.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about the deal but the sale price is less than the value of Mike Trout's contract.

Gotta think the plan is to build a new stadium.  It's like the third oldest stadium in the big leagues, I believe.

So if you're keeping count at home, 3 teams have had face-to-face meetings with Gerrit Cole:  Yankees, Dodgers and Angels.  

That seems to match up with the three teams that have the best shot of landing him.

Also see that the Rangers have dropped out of the Wheeler sweepstakes while the Astros are still in on him.  

Just now, TheIronSheik said:

Phillies sign Wheeler.

Still pissed about Hamels :hot:

• Like 1

Just now, Jaysus said:

Still pissed about Hamels :hot:

Should have had both.  Hamels wasn't that expensive.  Especially for one year.

Mother of god, the greatest news that could have possibly come out today:

The Wilpons are selling majority ownership of the Mets over the next five years. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

The Wilpons are selling majority ownership of the Mets over the next five years. 

I don't know much about the Mets ownership, but is it that bad?  It seems like they had a good run there a few years back and if the injury bug wouldn't have hit their pitching staff, they'd have been even better.

5 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

Not the case. They both made offers, but not as much money or years as the Phils.

There have been a handful of guys over the years that have given "home-town discounts" on a contract, but never a really big-name guy on his first crack at FA. Too much at stake for the player/agent to accept anything less. Would also be majorly frowned upon by the MLB union as it would be affecting the "value" of all future FA's.

Wheeler turned down a larger offer from the Chicago White Sox that was in excess of $120 million, sources told Passan. - Per ESPN

11 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

:jawdrop:

Good riddance Fred & Jeff Coupon

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I don't know much about the Mets ownership, but is it that bad?  It seems like they had a good run there a few years back and if the injury bug wouldn't have hit their pitching staff, they'd have been even better.

They were good owners at one point IMO, but allegedly lost a lot of money with Bernie Madoff and have been unable to compete financially since.

ETA: I never knew until recently that the reason the Mets agreed to pay Bobby Bonilla until 2035 is because the Wilpon's were making a 12% return from Madoff and thought they would come out ahead.

Edited by Tom Hagen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Agree with this.  Pitchers like him typically don't have long careers to begin with and they have a bunch of holes to fill.  Might as well trade him as his value isn't going to get any higher.  Love him as a player but I think this is the direction they should go.

• Like 1

The Phillies are doing everything the Mets should be doing. Hired Girardi, signed Wheeler, going after Didi. 

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

Awesome!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

@Chemical X

:itshappening.gif:

• Love 1

1 hour ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yes. 

They have a lower payroll today than they had like 8 years ago. They get insurance money on enormous contracts for guys who are sidelined and actually admit to the fans that they won’t reinvest those payments back into the team. They claim poverty because of Madoff but print money between the tv network and all their other business interests. They accept peanuts back with certain trades because they’d rather dump a guy’s $2mm in remaining salary instead of actually getting an asset. They basically do the opposite of what all their big market competitors do. 

Oh and none of that from the money side has anything to do with how they (specifically Jeff, the son) micromanage damn near everything in the organization from how they teach hitting at lower levels, to the medical staff, to the ticket office. If you have an hour (seriously) I can point you to an impeccably sourced article chronicling all of this over the past decade. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RUSF18 said:

Yes. 

They have a lower payroll today than they had like 8 years ago. They get insurance money on enormous contracts for guys who are sidelined and actually admit to the fans that they won’t reinvest those payments back into the team. They claim poverty because of Madoff but print money between the tv network and all their other business interests. They accept peanuts back with certain trades because they’d rather dump a guy’s $2mm in remaining salary instead of actually getting an asset. They basically do the opposite of what all their big market competitors do. 

Oh and none of that from the money side has anything to do with how they (specifically Jeff, the son) micromanage damn near everything in the organization from how they teach hitting at lower levels, to the medical staff, to the ticket office. If you have an hour (seriously) I can point you to an impeccably sourced article chronicling all of this over the past decade. 

I know a guy that might like to read it.  Can you email link to cbeltran@cctvpartsdirect.com?

only thing that scares me is the 5 year thing.   make this like a band-aid and just rip it off.  cohen will becomes the richest mlb owner and is a met fan, not a brooklyn dodger fan.  maybe this will end the cano like financial garbage.  then, get rid of van wagenen and get some real baseball people in here that might not work on the cheap for a chance for a job.  good riddance to the coupon family.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

If Hader can't add a 3rd pitch he's gone. Guys are just sitting on his fastball and it will only get worse. Would love to see Castellanos and Donaldson in a Brewer uniform next year

• Like 2

really hoping the mets can reel in kevin pillar.  what a get this would be for them!

• Like 1