What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (1 Viewer)

No, I'm conflicted. I'd need reasonable assurances from people that know what they're talking about from a predictive injury perspective. I can see how it could happen, but is it unfounded? :shrug: I'm not going to pretend to have the answer when I don't have all the necessary info. 
One thing I can say is this: How many times have you seen a pitcher who comes in hurt himself on the first pitch of his warmup?  Pretty much none.  So if he can do it on his first pitch, why would it be any different if there was a guy in the box?

Regarding the pace of play, it’s not all on the pitchers. The Astros have this kid, Kyle Tucker who might be another good upcoming player but he is reminiscent of “The Human Rain Delay” from back in the day, Mike Hargrove. 

He has put his hands down in the dirt. Between Every. Single. Pitch. 

And like 5-10 other things like tug at his pants, adjust his helmet, etc. 

It’s so annoying to watch. I’ve noticed they generally cut away from him between pitches now and show other stuff but stuff like he does needlessly slows it down too. 

Numerous pick off throws to first base is another one. 

One thing I can say is this: How many times have you seen a pitcher who comes in hurt himself on the first pitch of his warmup?  Pretty much none.  So if he can do it on his first pitch, why would it be any different if there was a guy in the box?
The first pitch of his warm up is probably not a 97 mph fast ball.

Regarding the pace of play, it’s not all on the pitchers. The Astros have this kid, Kyle Tucker who might be another good upcoming player but he is reminiscent of “The Human Rain Delay” from back in the day, Mike Hargrove. 

It’s so annoying to watch. I’ve noticed they generally cut away from him between pitches now and show other stuff but stuff like he does needlessly slows it down too. 

Yeah, Nomar used to be like that but he was an anomaly.  But you're right, that's pretty much every single person now.  

Aren't they changing the rule in 2020 or 2021 where a pitcher has to face at least 3 batters when he comes into the game?  That will reduce a lot of the dumb pitching changes and may save Davey Martinez's managing career

I'm not someone who complains about pace of play, but once the playoffs start, this is when the game really slows down.  One thing I never understood that could shave a lot of time off the game is this:  When you bring in a relief pitcher, he doesn't get to throw any warm up pitches on the mound.  What's he been doing in the bullpen for the past 10 minutes?  Why does he get another 5 minutes on the mound?  When they call in a pinch hitter, they don't stop the game and let him take 5 minutes of batting practice at the plate.

The reliever warms up in the pen.  If he gets the call in, he comes in and he starts pitching right away.  No warm up throws.  There's no reason for it.  By doing this, you can have the teams bring in relief pitchers all day without slowing the game down in the late innings.  
Double the commercials

On the NL side you should adopt the Brewers and then root for Brent Suter to make lots of appearances. From the time the ball hits the catcher's mitt to the time he releases his next pitch it's around 10-12 seconds. It's a marvel to watch while also extremely refreshing.

Ramblin Wreck said:
Aren't they changing the rule in 2020 or 2021 where a pitcher has to face at least 3 batters when he comes into the game?  That will reduce a lot of the dumb pitching changes and may save Davey Martinez's managing career
Not sure if it's official, but they proposed this.  And I don't like it.  They are trying to combat the same thing my idea combats:  The 30 minute half inning because of pitcher matchups.  But I'm ok with the matchups.  But only if they bring a pitcher in and he starts pitching to a batter right away.

Honestly, I think if you gave the player's union the option to make a pitcher pitch to a certain number of batters or not have warm up pitches on the mound, they'd opt for the latter.  I mean, can you imagine bringing in a guy and he gives up back to back homers and you realize you can't even take him out yet?  Or he walks the first two batters up by one on 8 pitches and you have to let him walk the bases loaded because he has to face three batters?  I don't like it.

As I get older, I really start to hate the 9:07 start times of these games.  That's 37 minutes past my bedtime on most nights.  The regular season games all start at 7:05.  Why not start all the postseason games at 7:05?  And don't say because of the west coast.  Almost 3/4 of America's population lives in either the Eastern or Central time zones.  Only 16% live in the Pacific.  

How about some day game World Series games. Maybe on a Saturday/ Sunday. 

Kids can’t even stay up for the games. Ratings can’t be that good at midnight. 
Agree 100%.  I'd love to see day games again in the WS.  I think the last one was in like 1986 or something.  

The argument is that 9pm is the prime time for viewers.  Yet the SB starts at 6pm.  And if 9 is the "prime time", wouldn't you want the end of the game to be on then, not the first 2 innings?  I don't get it.  They wonder why kids aren't playing baseball anymore and it's because none of them can stay up to watch the games that count.

Sheik the Stros are getting a bit disrespected too with these ALDS day games. It’ll allow me to watch Friday so I’m not complaining though. 

Sheik the Stros are getting a bit disrespected too with these ALDS day games. It’ll allow me to watch Friday so I’m not complaining though. 
I can't remember watching an Astros first round playoff game where they didn't draw the early game.  Every year. I don't get it.  It's dumb.

Agree 100%.  I'd love to see day games again in the WS.  I think the last one was in like 1986 or something.  

The argument is that 9pm is the prime time for viewers.  Yet the SB starts at 6pm.  And if 9 is the "prime time", wouldn't you want the end of the game to be on then, not the first 2 innings?  I don't get it.  They wonder why kids aren't playing baseball anymore and it's because none of them can stay up to watch the games that count.
Yeah, 9PM is great for a 1-hour show, not so much for 3+ hours.

I think another reason they won’t play day games in the WS even on the weekend is that they are afraid of going up against football. My advice to them would be don’t be afraid. Go Mano o Mano on them. You really have a better game. Especially the playoffs. 

I think another reason they won’t play day games in the WS even on the weekend is that they are afraid of going up against football. My advice to them would be don’t be afraid. Go Mano o Mano on them. You really have a better game. Especially the playoffs. 
Would he record low ratings. They aren’t stupid. They have an obligation to advertisers to maximize viewers. The lone SNF game alone drags the WS ratings down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Would he record low ratings. They aren’t stupid. They have an obligation to advertisers to maximize viewers. The lone SNF game alone drags the WS ratings down. 
Right, none of this is complicated. The driver is maximizing advertiser dollars, so every decision is ratings driven. The Astros vs. Rays/A's will be at 2 pm Friday because it will get the least amount of eyes; it has nothing to do with the Astros being disrespected. They don't play weekend WS games in the middle of the day because games in the middle of the day get less eyes than primetime. Etc.

I don’t get it. The game starts at 8:07 tonight 
Yes.  These two games are at 8.  Then some are at 9.  I can't remember the start times of the WS, but the point I was making was 7pm is the latest it should start.

I believe the Astros game on Saturday is at 9pm.

Is anyone a fan of the one game playoff for the wild card spot?  I know I'm not.  You play all summer to make the playoffs and it comes down to a play in game?  Should be best of 3, at least.

I love the one game Wildcard.  Don't like it?  Win the division.  It's probably my favorite change any sport has made since the 10-point shot in Rock n Jock basketball.
Yeah, I get the whole "win the division" thing.  But I'd still like to see a best of 3.

Hell.  They could even play a double header on the first day.  If one team doesn't win on day 1, day 2 is the elimination day.

I think they should get rid of divisions - just have an AL and an NL. Maybe add a few more games to the regular season.

The winners play a best of 11 WS.

Yes.  These two games are at 8.  Then some are at 9.  I can't remember the start times of the WS, but the point I was making was 7pm is the latest it should start.

I believe the Astros game on Saturday is at 9pm.
Is it because there are multiple games those days?  Staggered start so they don't overlap?  Game at 6 and game at 9?

Not that they had any shot at Maddon, but the Tigers just won 47 games and are keeping their entire coaching staff. 

🤬
I can’t name one player on their roster but what would a good coach have got them to? 51 wins? There’s nobody alive that could turn 47 wins into competence. 

I can’t name one player on their roster but what would a good coach have got them to? 51 wins? There’s nobody alive that could turn 47 wins into competence. 
That is a fair criticism. I'd like to see the GM fired also. And the owner sell the team.

But we didn't see much development at all in the younger guys. Almost every everyday player - throughout the organization - had a disappointing year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is the 100th anniversary of game one of the infamous 1919 World Series in which members of the White Sox threw games.

I love the one game Wildcard.  Don't like it?  Win the division.  It's probably my favorite change any sport has made since the 10-point shot in Rock n Jock basketball.

Yeah, I get the whole "win the division" thing.  But I'd still like to see a best of 3.
I like the urgency of the wildcard but compared to the regular season it doesn't make sense.  Play 162 for a chance in 1 game?

They need to shorten the regular season back to about the 154 games.  They don't start as early in the year or end as late in the year and then could easily go to best of 3.  Unless folks in Minnesota like playing baseball in the snow, close the roof.

That is a fair criticism. I'd like to see the GM fired also. And the owner sell the team.

But we didn't see much development at all in the younger guys. Almost every everyday player - throughout the organization - had a disappointing year. 
47 wins seems like a total org failure to me. Plus what desirable manager would want to go there. Build things up for another year and chase somebody better. 

They cleaned house last off-season.  :shrug:
That's not true. This was the second year for the coaching staff.

And the GM's 5th year. And they gave him an extension.

Anyway - I don't want to clutter up this playoff thread talking about the worst team in baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread