What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (9 Viewers)

I was really just going for the joke.  

But look at guys like Verlander, Sabbathia, Ryan, Clemens, Randy Johnson...

My point is that a pitcher has a longer shelf life than a position player.  There have been plenty of pitchers in the 35 to 40 age range that have dominated.
Sorry.  Sometimes I am too literal.  But you have a good point.  But doesn't it seem like power pitchers in their late 30s are more a thing of the past?  Heck, pitchers that throw 300 innings are gone.  I dunno.  Glad it isn't my money for 9 years on Cole.  Big strong kid and might earn it but I like his side of the deal.

Say Cole blows out his arm after a year or two, do teams get insurance for that type of thing or are they just on the hook for all the money?

Sorry.  Sometimes I am too literal.  But you have a good point.  But doesn't it seem like power pitchers in their late 30s are more a thing of the past?  Heck, pitchers that throw 300 innings are gone.  I dunno.  Glad it isn't my money for 9 years on Cole.  Big strong kid and might earn it but I like his side of the deal.
No worries, GB.  

I think everyone is a risk.  But sometimes you pay that money to get the guaranteed awesomeness upfront and hope the back end pays off.  But if it doesn't, that's ok.  As I said, I'm glad the Astros didn't spend that money on him.  But if my team was a pitcher away from being great, I'd be happy with that kind of signing.  

Say Cole blows out his arm after a year or two, do teams get insurance for that type of thing or are they just on the hook for all the money?
Like the opposite of Lloyd's of London?  Not sure.  I'm wondering if it's worth it for the teams.  Honestly, I'd be interested in this answer, myself. 

munson was a better player than simmons.
Not sure how you determine this.  Career WAR is 46 Munson and 50 Simmons.  Other stats also favor Simmons.  Munson might have been better had he had a longer career but it is what it is.  

In either case both great players.

No worries, GB.  

I think everyone is a risk.  But sometimes you pay that money to get the guaranteed awesomeness upfront and hope the back end pays off.  But if it doesn't, that's ok.  As I said, I'm glad the Astros didn't spend that money on him.  But if my team was a pitcher away from being great, I'd be happy with that kind of signing.  
Yeah.  I am a Cards fan.  If I thought singing Rendon would take them to the series I'd say pull out the stops and go for it.  Sadly they aren't that close.  It will take a couple of rookies to emerge and then the splash add.

I'm mostly supportive of the Nat's front office moves, and was OK with them getting under the CBT last year and with letting Harper walk. But I'm skeptical about letting Rendon get away at that price unless he really wanted out and wouldn't accept a matching offer.They have backed themselves into a corner now, giving Donaldson and anyone willing to trade a quality RH infield bat at 2B or 3B all the leverage in the world, especially with their division rivals also chasing similar help. Wouldn't be surprise if the end up giving Donaldson almost as much annual salary as Rendon got, with the contract ending at the same age as Rendon's (age 37 season) except without the benefit of the player's peak years.

Much respect for Pujols.  He's a pro who earned that contract.

That's the risk inherent in very long contracts.  Cole's deal is one year shorter but $84M longer.
I agree.  And as a Cards fan as sad as I was to see him go I heaved a huge sigh of relief when the Angels outbid STL.  It was fairly obvious his body was deteriorating rapidly and the Cards don't have a DH position.  He would have been a major albatross to STL.  Still wish him all the best.

The system is likely to change during the nine year run of Cole's deal.
Could change in two years.  And really it only matters a lot if you've gone over three years.  So a lot of teams that have not gone over can be thinking that making a big signing won't matter that much because the third year will be when it changes.

Crazy to hear that the Dodgers didn't make an offer to Rendon because they felt he didn't want to play in LA.  Only for the other LA team to sign him.

Whoopsie.

Not sure how you determine this.  Career WAR is 46 Munson and 50 Simmons.  Other stats also favor Simmons.  Munson might have been better had he had a longer career but it is what it is.  

In either case both great players.
eye test and hardware i think.  munson with the shorter career, but 2 rings, ROY and MVP.  some GGs too?  AS games pretty close, but simmons played 8 more years?  i am not a WAR guy, but if munson played another 5 years he’d of had a higher WAR i assume?  

eye test and hardware i think.  munson with the shorter career, but 2 rings, ROY and MVP.  some GGs too?  AS games pretty close, but simmons played 8 more years?  i am not a WAR guy, but if munson played another 5 years he’d of had a higher WAR i assume?  
Sad day when Munson died.  I've a friend who was briefly a catcher for the yanks in 1979 with Munson.  His career ended pretty much when he and Richetti were hit from behind by a drunk driver.  Munson was a great player no doubt.  As was Simmons.  As a Cards fan I think Simmons HOF entry is long overdue and glad to see it.  

Yeah, the insurance only matters if you have an actual stake in the Steinbrenner fortune. Its basically meaningless to the rest of the world.

I think you guys are being too literal.  I don't think the report meant he didn't want to live in that small area of LA.  I think it meant the Dodgers didn't think he had an interest playing in southern CA.  
on MLB TV right now at the Angels presser, "I don't think the Hollywood atmosphere lifestyle is a good fit for us."    That means exactly that he didn't want to live in the LA area.

Anyone seen where Manfred is talking about getting rid of all of minor league baseball? I’ve seen a lot of people tweeting about it. 

That's your melee, right there. I wasn't there for that, but i went the next time the Yanks were in town and, in the center field bleachers (which were sealed off for all but Yankee games in those pre-sellout days) there were guys throwing stuff they specifically brought (batteries, bolts) to chuck at Rivers. I believe he wore a batting helmet to play CF in Fenway for the rest of his Yankee career.

That's your melee, right there. I wasn't there for that, but i went the next time the Yanks were in town and, in the center field bleachers (which were sealed off for all but Yankee games in those pre-sellout days) there were guys throwing stuff they specifically brought (batteries, bolts) to chuck at Rivers. I believe he wore a batting helmet to play CF in Fenway for the rest of his Yankee career.
The advance preparation required to bring projectiles to a baseball game is what really sets Boston/NY/Philly fans apart.  :thumbup:

@Ken_Rosenthal: Kluber to #Rangers is close, sources tell The Athletic.

@ThreeTwoEephus: Am hearing that Emmanuel Clase will be part of the return to Cleveland in the Kluber trade.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Kluber to #Rangers is close, sources tell The Athletic.

@ThreeTwoEephus: Am hearing that Emmanuel Clase will be part of the return to Cleveland in the Kluber trade.
Delino DeShields Jr also going over. Man, Kluber’s value took a big hit last year.

Users who are viewing this thread