Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2020 MLB Spring Training

6 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Yup.  Everyone was doing it to a certain degree.

It's the degree to which some were doing it that's the issue.

I think it will come out that were big disparities in how far various clubs were willing to go with it.

9 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Me either, and I'm really looking forward (even as a Tribe fan) to watching the White Sox this year.

This just highlights how dumb it was to even be considering Machado... the only saving grace would be if they were just driving his value up for the sucker that ended up signing him.

The thing with high priced FA's like Harper and Machado and Cole is they can't be your only asset.  Harper in Philly has other good players.  Same with Cole in NY.  But the Padres are betting on a young core to come up and be with Manny.  That may work out, but one player is not going to turn your franchise around.

I think the White Sox not getting Manny will go down as one of their greatest non moves. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I think you missed the tweet where it specifically said the Yankees were doing it, too.

I read the tweet. Id like to read the article. The ESPN article only mentions the Sox. Do I have to bang a garbage pail for you to understand that?

• Love 1
  • Laughing 3

3 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I read the tweet. Id like to read the article. The ESPN article only mentions the Sox. Do I have to bang a garbage pail for you to understand that?

Whoa.  Easy there.  My bad.  

23 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

16 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

:lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: 

24 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

The thing is, they are talking about The Athletic article.  I don't know why you keep referencing the ESPN article.  

But it's obvious that the Yankees cheating is a touchy subject for you.  I apologize for trying to point you in the right direction when you are clearly blinded with rage.

I wonder if any team has tried or thought of this:

At a key point of a game have a way to let the pitcher and catcher know that a sign means something different, If you suspect the opposition is spying. Do your signs the exact same way so the batter thinks he’s getting a fastball. Then actually throw a change up. 

• Like 1

What the Red Sox did according to the ESPN article is not nearly as egregious as what the Astros did. 

5 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

What the Red Sox did according to the ESPN article is not nearly as egregious as what the Astros did. 

I'm not sure I agree with that..

they were smart enough to figure out how to leverage a runner on second to communicate with the batter.

they just weren't smart enough to figure out how to bang on a trash can as a signal to the batter.

38 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

The thing is, they are talking about The Athletic article.  I don't know why you keep referencing the ESPN article.  

But it's obvious that the Yankees cheating is a touchy subject for you.  I apologize for trying to point you in the right direction when you are clearly blinded with rage.

I am referencing the ESPN article because I can't read the Athletic article because it's a pay site

BANG 

@NREC34

There's not a single article online that mentions the yankees. Only that tweet. Not saying the source is wrong but I'm wondering if context matters and what's said after that line in the article. 

Im guessing the context is ALL teams used the replay rooms to try and decipher signs. MLB put rules in place in 2017 to stop this after the watch incident but Red Sox continued to break those rules. 

How have you people made the Astros more unlikable than the ####### Yankees?

It's amazing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

@NREC34

There's not a single article online that mentions the yankees. Only that tweet. Not saying the source is wrong but I'm wondering if context matters and what's said after that line in the article. 

I don’t know. It says the guy is a yankee beat writer and he had a check mark so I assume he’s legit. 

26 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I don’t know. It says the guy is a yankee beat writer and he had a check mark so I assume he’s legit. 

And, if you click on the link, even though you can’t read the whole thing, it clearly mentions the Sox and Yankees in the first paragraph. 

I mean why take all of that effort to click on a heavy link though?

1 hour ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

How have you people made the Astros more unlikable than the ####### Yankees?

It's amazing.

Haha. I've been having a grand old time wearing all my Astros gear since the NY snowbirds arrived.  I'm gonna have to stop though.  I swear every 80 year old Tony & Joe in town wants to forcefully start a conversation with me about "the cheaters".  Then the real fun starts when I play dumb like I have no idea what they're talking about.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

And, if you click on the link, even though you can’t read the whole thing, it clearly mentions the Sox and Yankees in the first paragraph. 

I mean why take all of that effort to click on a heavy link though?

Sheik, we are apparently making the Astros unlikable by talking about other teams that cheat. Maybe we ought to tone it down, bro. 

40 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Sheik, we are apparently making the Astros unlikable by talking about other teams that cheat. Maybe we ought to tone it down, bro. 

Agreed. I still don’t think what any of these teams is really that bad. Even if the ESPN article didn’t point fingers at the Yankees. Sure, others did, BUT THE ESPN ARTICLE DIDN’T!!!!  WHAT DON’T YOU GUYS GET ABOUT THAT?!?!

• Laughing 1

Looking forward to the Field Of Dreams series.  Date is 8/13.  White Sox and Yanks.

• Like 1

Seen a LOT of Pruitt over the years. Seems like every game I watched he was pitching. Should be a decent 5 guy but never broke through here. Hope it works, seems like a good dude. 

rays/Cards made an interesting trade last night. 

2 hours ago, Capella said:

rays/Cards made an interesting trade last night. 

Martinez will RAKE as a DH. 

1 hour ago, E-Z Glider said:

He'll be on my fantasy team this year.

Just now, NotSmart said:
1 hour ago, E-Z Glider said:

He'll be on my fantasy team this year.

The Rays have a lot of platoon options.  Martinez is going to have to show his performance against RHP last year wasn't an small sample aberration or he'll get stuck in the short side of a platoon.

44 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Rays have a lot of platoon options.  Martinez is going to have to show his performance against RHP last year wasn't an small sample aberration or he'll get stuck in the short side of a platoon.

I think he probably will be with either Choi or the Yoshi guy they signed from Japan. 

USA Today story says it could be the harshest penalty in the history of the sport against the Astros. 

I’m starting to get worried now. 

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I think he probably will be with either Choi or the Yoshi guy they signed from Japan. 

I think you guys are underestimating Martinez. Park him in DH and forget about it. Let the other guys battle for ABs.

5 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

USA Today story says it could be the harshest penalty in the history of the sport against the Astros. 

I’m starting to get worried now. 

I saw that no players will be suspended.  Which is odd, because they basically said that this was devised by the players.  They said the penalties will be on par with what the NCAA does with their lack of control or whatever.  After discovering that other teams are doing similar things, I think MLB should've waited to hand down a punishment.  It's going to suck that the Astros get the brunt of the punishment, then in 5 months find out that half the teams are doing the same thing.

18 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I saw that no players will be suspended.  Which is odd, because they basically said that this was devised by the players.  They said the penalties will be on par with what the NCAA does with their lack of control or whatever.  After discovering that other teams are doing similar things, I think MLB should've waited to hand down a punishment.  It's going to suck that the Astros get the brunt of the punishment, then in 5 months find out that half the teams are doing the same thing.

I think they’re gonna suspend Hinch at least a year. Maybe Luhnow if they have evidence. 

Hinch had to have known. 

20 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

I think you guys are underestimating Martinez. Park him in DH and forget about it. Let the other guys battle for ABs.

That would be very uncharacteristic of the Rays

5 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I think they’re gonna suspend Hinch at least a year. Maybe Luhnow if they have evidence. 

Hinch had to have known. 

I don't get suspending the GM.  That's weird to me.  I don't think that will affect the team.  I'd be surprised if Hinch gets a full season, but either way, that one will hurt.  

16 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I don't get suspending the GM.  That's weird to me.  I don't think that will affect the team.  I'd be surprised if Hinch gets a full season, but either way, that one will hurt.  

If he’s okaying it and they have emails or something he’s toast. 

46 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Hinch had to have known. 

What if it was Beltran and Cora and no evidence Hinch knew?  Some kind of punishment is surely in order for Hinch not knowing, but how do they punish Cora and Beltran now that they are with other teams without hurting those teams?

And take that a step further. If Hinch knew, then Cora knew.  How do they punish Cora?

2 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

You sound like a pats fan defending spygate. It's pretty sad. Everyone but you predicted this was gonna be a HUGE punishment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

And take that a step further. If Hinch knew, then Cora knew.  How do they punish Cora?

Cora will definitely get suspended after that new Athletic article.

Certainly, the Red Sox will be punished by MLB as well – perhaps harshly, given the repeat offender nature of the alleged actions by both franchise and manager Alex Cora, an Astros bench coach in 2017. Their crimes do not match the Astros, who are technically on trial for sign-stealing but also may bear the brunt of a visceral disdain stemming from any number of events, most recently the Taubman debacle.

Edited by shadyridr

10 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

Todd Frazier signs with the Rangers.

1 Y / 5M, with a team option for a second year.

The Brewers signed a very similar player in Jedd Gyorko for $2M.

Both are probably best suited for platoon work at 3B.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

The Brewers signed a very similar player in Jedd Gyorko for $2M.

Both are probably best suited for platoon work at 3B.

Good thing the Gyorko store wasn’t out of him for the Brewers.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, shadyridr said:

You sound like a pats fan defending spygate. It's pretty sad. Everyone but you predicted this was gonna be a HUGE punishment. 

I said it wasn't a big deal.  And it's not.

13 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I said it wasn't a big deal.  And it's not.

And I've also been pretty consistent saying I don't think it's a big deal because lots of teams are doing it.  Which was the point of my post.  

3 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

And I've also been pretty consistent saying I don't think it's a big deal because lots of teams are doing it.  Which was the point of my post.  

They might announce something soon according to some tweets I saw

• Like 1

I've also said from the beginning, if they got caught cheating, they should face punishment.  All that I was implying with my last post was maybe hold off on the sentencing phase until we finish the investigation.  I don't care if the Astros get fined or whatever.  My point was that if they come down with a harsh fine on Houston and then figure out that 10 other teams were doing similar things, it'll seem odd to punish everyone severely.  At least IMO.  If you finish the investigation and you determine it was only 3 teams, then you throw the book at them.  

I guess that makes me as bad as a Pats fan.

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

BREAKING: Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for one year after an MLB investigation found the team used technology to cheat during its World Series-winning 2017 season, sources familiar with the punishment tell ESPN.

ETA more from Ken Rosenthal:

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
BREAKING: Per sources, MLB’s penalties for #Astros include:

*One-year suspensions for GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch.

*Losses of 1st and 2nd round draft picks in both 2020 and ‘21.

*A fine of $5M. 

Edited by Don Quixote
  • Like 2