Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TheIronSheik

2020 MLB Spring Training

7 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

There's nothing wrong with stealing signs.

Stealing signs is legal.

Stealing signs is no worse than stealing a base.

Using a telephoto lens and a direct camera feed to the dugout is illegal. Using text messages to a smartwatch is illegal.

Nothing about what Girardi said sounds like he meant the Yankees were illegally stealing signs with technology. The runner on second trying to clue the batter is fine.

Which is worse:  Sign stealing by the Astros OR that Cop Rock was cancelled before it had a chance to catch on?

• Thanks 1

Robot umps to call Spring Training games.

Of course people will be upset because then pitch framing will go away.  And so will certain pitchers getting favorable calls because of who they are.  And we all know how much we love that.

20 hours ago, shadyridr said:

Id love to know who the moron is

It was the Twins beat reporter.. Lavelle E Neal -

2 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Of course people will be upset because then pitch framing will go away.  And so will certain pitchers getting favorable calls because of who they are.  And we all know how much we love that.

Do you know how Robot umps adjust for the height of the hitter?

3 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Do you know how Robot umps adjust for the height of the hitter?

I don't know the specifics, but I'm guessing it measures from the letters to the knees on the fly.  It also says it measures the strikezone in 3D, which would make a difference in a lot of calls.

So the Ringer listed a couple other teams that have been named as sign stealers:

- Diamondbacks
- Indians
- Rangers
- Cubs
- Blue Jays
- Nationals (whoopsie, Sean Doolittle)
- Brewers

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

So the Ringer listed a couple other teams that have been named as sign stealers:

- Diamondbacks
- Indians
- Rangers
- Cubs
- Blue Jays
- Brewers

Really hoping the Cubs get proven to have done it in ‘16. Because of all the sanctimonious fans I’ve seen on Twitter. 

16 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

This will change the game more than people realize. It will bring more offense to the game, something Im sure is influencing MLB.

48 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

He downplayed the whole thing. 

What would be his motive to try to diffuse the situation?

Perhaps seeing 4 other guys heads roll?

Maybe there is no motive and he just doesn't think it is the worst thing that has happened in the history of sports...…...

Edited by Gally

17 minutes ago, Gally said:

Maybe there is no motive and he just doesn't think it is the worse thing that has happened in the history of sports...…...

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

• Laughing 1

27 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Really hoping the Cubs get proven to have done it in ‘16. Because of all the sanctimonious fans I’ve seen on Twitter. 

I really hope that it turns out all of those teams stole signs, but only when playing the Dodgers.

• Laughing 3

1 minute ago, TheIronSheik said:

I really hope that it turns out all of those teams stole signs, but only when playing the Dodgers.

Totally agree with this.....in fact I read on twitter that every team uses a camera in center field at Dodger stadium so that all visiting teams get this advantage.....especially when Kershaw is on the mound in the playoffs.

If the Jay's were stealing they sure suck at it.

I’m really excited for Rojas managing the Mets, way more than I was for Beltran. Rumors are that the coaching staff will stay in tact, including Muelens at bench coach, who was reportedly being looked at by Boston as a candidate.

• Like 1

Giants sign Darin Ruf to a minor league contract.

This dude raked in the minors.  I was so excited to see him get called up because he was going to be the next big superstar for the Phillies.  He hit so many home runs in the minors, his nickname was Babe Ruf.  

And then he just fizzled.  He's not a Phil anymore, obviously, but I hope he does well for the Giants.  I have a soft spot in my heart for that guy.

• Like 2

I feel for that guy who finished last in his fantasy league and should not have and had to do some crazy punishment. 

Probably deserves at least a million for psychological damages. 

• Laughing 1

On 1/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, TheIronSheik said:

- Diamondbacks
- Indians
- Rangers
- Cubs
- Blue Jays
- Brewers

So the last four team to knock out my Dodgers of the playoffs are on this list?  I may have to adjust my T-shirt to four time defending champions?

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

37 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

So the last four team to knock out my Dodgers of the playoffs are on this list?  I may have to adjust my T-shirt to four time defending champions?

I also posted an article where the Dodgers said the Phils were stealing signals in '08 and '09.

33 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

I also posted an article where the Dodgers said the Phils were stealing signals in '08 and '09.

You post a lot in this thread, so I can't keep up sometimes.  Was that 1908 and 1908 or 2008 and 2009?

Just now, Bull Dozier said:

You post a lot in this thread, so I can't keep up sometimes.  Was that 1908 and 1908 or 2008 and 2009?

lol

2008 and 2009.  In the NLCS.

16 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

lol

2008 and 2009.  In the NLCS.

Everyone cheating to beat the Dodgers would explain Kershaw's pedestrian post season career.

5 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

Giants sign Darin Ruf to a minor league contract.

This dude raked in the minors.  I was so excited to see him get called up because he was going to be the next big superstar for the Phillies.  He hit so many home runs in the minors, his nickname was Babe Ruf.  

And then he just fizzled.  He's not a Phil anymore, obviously, but I hope he does well for the Giants.  I have a soft spot in my heart for that guy.

Ruf had three good years in Korea.  He's not a prospect at age 33 but with 26 man rosters this year, he could stick as a RH bench bat and lefty masher.  Defensively, he's a DH though.

Astros interviewed Ausmus after all that controversy when Marisnick barreled into the Angels catcher last year and hurt him. 

Crane thinks he’s Jerry Jones now it feels like. 

GM ought to be hired first and let him have a big say or all the say in the manager. 

40 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

GM ought to be hired first and let him have a big say or all the say in the manager. 

Ed Wade is a name that both @NREC34 and @TheIronSheik can get behind

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Keuchel talked about the sign stealing. He apologized but said that was the state of baseball. Everyone was doing it. He said that didn’t make it right, but it was true. 

He also said it wasn’t utilized every game. But the biggest thing was when they asked him about Fiers. He said a lot by not saying much. He basically implied he was pissed that Fiers tatted on his brothers. And it sounded like he no longer considered him a friend. Which is exactly how I figured most players would feel. 

Out of all sports, there are no bigger a holes than baseball players. They are the worst. I can’t imagine Fiers being treated well in any clubhouse anymore. 

3 hours ago, shuke said:

Gone.  What was it?

Allegations that Mike Fiers liked young girls including one 17 yr old in particular.  it included her Instagram posts and text screen shots.  Nothing substantiated yet though. Supposedly the guy who posted that thread was shopping her story for $$$. Not a good look for Fiers and one that may draw attention  for law enforcement. 

Castellanos to the Reds.  Not that big of news since I feel like it was unofficially announced last week.  But nice for the Reds.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, NREC34 said:

There's a reason people say "Clean up your own backyard before you go knocking on your neighbor's door." 

6 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

There's a reason people say "Clean up your own backyard before you go knocking on your neighbor's door." 

I am thinking Fiers was the only happy person on earth to hear that Kobe news yesterday. 

47 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

Castellanos to the Reds.  Not that big of news since I feel like it was unofficially announced last week.  But nice for the Reds.

Outfield is getting awfully crowded.  Assuming they are going to make another move that sends Senzel.  

51 minutes ago, shuke said:

Outfield is getting awfully crowded.  Assuming they are going to make another move that sends Senzel.  

I will start by saying I have no direct knowledge of the front office plans, other than to put together the most competitive team they can with the intention of winning THIS year, and into the next several. 

One of the guys on the grounds crew told me about the signing, and then we were talking to a few guys in the tunnel, and there is a general buzz and excitement here at the ballpark about the team this year.  Your thoughts on them moving Senzel are not uncommon, but for any real upgrade, I think that might have to include India or some minor league pitching.  I'm not sure if that would include Lodolo or Greene, but I have to believe they are trying to work any and all options.

I think they are a slam dunk reliever and maybe an upgrade at SS or C to really be in the mix for a title.  They also need to stay healthy and have a bit of a bounceback from Votto.  I think this team has a good year, and hopefully we can finally get a postseason win for this city.  Its been too long.

• Like 1

Starling Marte to Arizona for two 19 year olds.  The Diamondbacks have had a good off-season.

7 hours ago, Caesar said:

I will start by saying I have no direct knowledge of the front office plans, other than to put together the most competitive team they can with the intention of winning THIS year, and into the next several. 

One of the guys on the grounds crew told me about the signing, and then we were talking to a few guys in the tunnel, and there is a general buzz and excitement here at the ballpark about the team this year.  Your thoughts on them moving Senzel are not uncommon, but for any real upgrade, I think that might have to include India or some minor league pitching.  I'm not sure if that would include Lodolo or Greene, but I have to believe they are trying to work any and all options.

I think they are a slam dunk reliever and maybe an upgrade at SS or C to really be in the mix for a title.  They also need to stay healthy and have a bit of a bounceback from Votto.  I think this team has a good year, and hopefully we can finally get a postseason win for this city.  Its been too long.

Senzel is coming off shoulder surgery so hard to know what his value would even be.

If I were a gm I’d be calling reds ASAP about senzel. Could get a potential star for pennies on the dollar.

17 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

smh

You like watching pitchers flail about and strike out?

2 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

You like watching pitchers flail about and strike out?

I’m not a fan of the DH

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

Senzel is coming off shoulder surgery so hard to know what his value would even be.

That and his injury/vertigo history will make potential trade partners wary, I think. 

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Looks like they’re gaining traction a DH into the NL

They said the same thing last off-season. It’s only a matter of time. I used to hate the idea. Now I am all for it. 

Just about 4 weeks until Spring Training starts and the FA market is all but dried up.  Big difference from years past.  Here's what's still out there (I think these are correct):

37. Yasiel Puig - Biggest name and strangely not much chatter
41. Brock Holt
49. Pedro Strop
NR. Matt Harvey
NR. Cameron Maybin
NR. Collin McHugh
NR. Hunter Pence
NR. Ben Zobrist

The last two could end up retiring, but I would've thought after last season's All Star performance, at least a couple of teams would be looking at Pence.  Don't the Reds need another outfielder?

Was watching IT on MLBNetwork yesterday and they were showing some players reactions to the sign stealing scandal (thank you, everyone, for not calling it SignStealingGate) and for the most part, the reaction was "They got caught, they are good guys, let's move on."  There were a couple who had slightly harsher words, and then there were the Dodgers players who were super bitter.  :lol:

The one thing I thought was interesting was when it first happened, Millar came on and for the first couple of days said "it's not a big deal" and was clearly on the side of 'not impressed.'  But then after a week or two with Rose fuming about it, Millar started to get much more upset with the sign stealing.  It was really odd.  Then yesterday, after showing the clip of the players saying let's move on, he went back to saying it's not a big deal.  Very odd.  I wonder if he changed his position because he was told to or because he could see his friend Rose was upset and didn't want to get in a heated argument.  I mean, I get it either way.  But you can tell he does not think much of it.  

Sheik, I was listening to WFAN yesterday and one of the hosts said on air that Altuve was wearing a buzzer... as if it’s a fact. I couldn’t believe it when he said that. 

It seems like they are just fanning the flames here and won’t ever let it die.