What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (5 Viewers)

62 years ago today, Ted Williams became the highest paid player in baseball history . . . earning at the time a staggering $125,000 a year. Gerrit Cole holds that distinction now at $36 million a year. That’s 32 times the rate of inflation since then. 

Red Sox found something they didn’t like in medical review of Graterol. Unclear if that will impact the trade. 
They thought Graterol would be a starter when even I knew he was slated for the bullpen and only has 2 pitches at this point.  Either the Sawks are trying to save face with their fan-base by getting more for this #### deal or they are morons.  Take your pick.  (or pick both).

Paxton out till mid-season

Yankees rotation going to be tough to figure out. Severino was hurt all last year, German and Paxton out for a good part of the first half of the year and who knows how Paxton will be when he comes back with a balky back.  Tanaka is always a wild card.  Do you get lights out Tanaka or BP Tanaka

After Cole, there's a whole lotta questions. 
It was a cyst....not a nerve or disc issue. I am sure he will be fine. But he is always battling some sort of injury. That has been his MO.

They thought Graterol would be a starter when even I knew he was slated for the bullpen and only has 2 pitches at this point.  Either the Sawks are trying to save face with their fan-base by getting more for this #### deal or they are morons.  Take your pick.  (or pick both).
i dont know what one might see in an MRI which says a pitcher cant stretch out, so i'll say C) to kick in less for Price. This has a Tampa Bay smell - Dombrowski accepted 2 damaged pitchers he could have thrown back in his tenure. This is the new GM.

It was a cyst....not a nerve or disc issue. I am sure he will be fine. But he is always battling some sort of injury. That has been his MO.
I think it was a cyst on a disc (they've been calling it a peridiscal cyst). I don't have any first-hand experience with that, but I've heard more than one person say that's going to be a tricky recovery.

I think it was a cyst on a disc (they've been calling it a peridiscal cyst). I don't have any first-hand experience with that, but I've heard more than one person say that's going to be a tricky recovery.
Crap. Welp...hopefully he can be back by the All-Star break.

Roberts rarely lets anyone go more than 5

🙄

Yeah, I was watching this today https://youtu.be/1pBeMfIXT9o?t=330

and Roberts takes him out in the 7th with 12 strikeouts and only 85 pitches???  I don't get it.

I don’t either 

It’s annoying
Pitching strategy is one of the biggest flaws of Roberts and it gets magnified in the post season.  You can get away with it in the regular season when series are shorter (3 or 4 games) and teams aren't in a position to see a pitcher more than once in a week.  Roberts tends to extend his bullpen in the playoffs and move away from regular season usage (using Jansen for more than an inning).  This has a lot more adverse affects in the playoffs because batters get to see relief guys more often in a shorter period of time.  It helps take away some of the advantage that short relief guys have. 

Roberts is a decent regular season manager but he is not a good post season manager. 

i dont know what one might see in an MRI which says a pitcher cant stretch out, so i'll say C) to kick in less for Price. This has a Tampa Bay smell - Dombrowski accepted 2 damaged pitchers he could have thrown back in his tenure. This is the new GM.

Do they not have Google in Boston?

i know the history - as i said, Brusdar has been on my dynasty teams for yrs. so does Bloom. i'm asking what an MRI would show that would be new news of unstretchability, leading me to think it a ploy
Agreed, I meant Boston brass, not you.  I assumed you knew how to use Google.

i know the history - as i said, Brusdar has been on my dynasty teams for yrs. so does Bloom. i'm asking what an MRI would show that would be new news of unstretchability, leading me to think it a ploy
Years? Did you pick him up out of little league?

guy has pitched 9.2 innings in the mlb

Any of these Asian imports going to make an immediate impact?  Is the Cincy OFer the most likely to make an impact this season?

Any of these Asian imports going to make an immediate impact?  Is the Cincy OFer the most likely to make an impact this season?
I like Yo####omo Tsutsugo better than Shogo Akiyama in fantasy.  Tsutsugo brings more power potential but his strikeouts may make him a AVG liability.  He'll be better in OBP leagues.  I don't see Akiyama helping in multiple categories; he's had poor SB% in Japan so I doubt he'll be a speed threat over here. 

Neither Tampa or Cincinnati are ideal landing spots in terms of guaranteed playing time.  Tampa PAs are always a crap shoot and the Reds have a lot of platoon options.

62 years ago today, Ted Williams became the highest paid player in baseball history . . . earning at the time a staggering $125,000 a year. Gerrit Cole holds that distinction now at $36 million a year. That’s 32 times the rate of inflation since then. 
He was forty in 1958. I can't imagine a forty year old in today's game being the highest paid player. 

Pitching strategy is one of the biggest flaws of Roberts and it gets magnified in the post season.  You can get away with it in the regular season when series are shorter (3 or 4 games) and teams aren't in a position to see a pitcher more than once in a week.  Roberts tends to extend his bullpen in the playoffs and move away from regular season usage (using Jansen for more than an inning).  This has a lot more adverse affects in the playoffs because batters get to see relief guys more often in a shorter period of time.  It helps take away some of the advantage that short relief guys have. 

Roberts is a decent regular season manager but he is not a good post season manager. 
I've been banging this can for awhile.  Was talking with my Dad about the moves they've made and as much as we like Joc and Verdugo, cutting down on the amount of players avail for Roberts to tinker his lineups with is a plus. 

In for relief pitching, not only does he take away the advantage as you mention but he wears out his pen in the playoffs as well.  He also gets caught up in things like trying to make Kershaw a hero and ends up causing more harm.

I've been banging this can for awhile.  Was talking with my Dad about the moves they've made and as much as we like Joc and Verdugo, cutting down on the amount of players avail for Roberts to tinker his lineups with is a plus. 

In for relief pitching, not only does he take away the advantage as you mention but he wears out his pen in the playoffs as well.  He also gets caught up in things like trying to make Kershaw a hero and ends up causing more harm.
You're giving him too much credit.  He'll platoon a garbage bench player with a slugger if the righty/lefty book tells him to.

This is unreal:

@JonHeyman

Red Sox are still seeking a top-10 #MNTwins prospect in addition to Graterol. Thus far, Twins are saying no. #Mookie

This is unreal:

@JonHeyman

Red Sox are still seeking a top-10 #MNTwins prospect in addition to Graterol. Thus far, Twins are saying no. #Mookie
The Twins should say no. They're only getting Maeda, he's not worth THAT much. The Dodgers are getting Betts, it's on them to save this.

Would be crazy if it all fell apart over Brusdar's injury.

@AndrewMarchand

Jessica Mendoza has resigned as a Met advisor and will no longer be on Sunday Night Baseball. She will remain on ESPN, doing weekday games, among other things.

Bummer, she was really good on SNB.  

facook said:
@AndrewMarchand

Jessica Mendoza has resigned as a Met advisor and will no longer be on Sunday Night Baseball. She will remain on ESPN, doing weekday games, among other things.

Bummer, she was really good on SNB.  
Hmm - I didn't really like her much.   :shrug:  

So the Astros used an Excel algorithm called the code breaker to steal signs during the game and then relay them in. 

I have not watched the whole Hinch interview yet (have it recorded) but from what I’m reading, apparently when asked about using buzzers he did not deny it and deferred to the mlb report. 

I feel like they did it and are hoping it never comes out. 

I have not watched the whole Hinch interview yet (have it recorded) but from what I’m reading, apparently when asked about using buzzers he did not deny it and deferred to the mlb report. 

I feel like they did it and are hoping it never comes out. 
And like I said earlier, I don't really see the difference between using buzzers or a garbage can to relay the signals. 

And like I said earlier, I don't really see the difference between using buzzers or a garbage can to relay the signals. 
Idk man. Buzzers seem like on another level to me and if it comes out maybe they give the Astros the death penalty or something lol. 

BeTheMatch said:
This is unreal:

@JonHeyman

The Twins should not even pick up the phone if it rings with a 617 area code. Getting a starter would be good, but there are arguments on both sides of that trade. Bullpen is an increasingly important role when starters are limited to 5-6 innings in today's MLB.   

Red Sox are pathetic. 
That’s the optics. I get why they traded Betts but at this point I also don’t get why they don’t just nix the whole deal. Nobody in Boston wants Verdugo, he’s doomed to fail here. The Red Sox themselves don’t seem to want Graterol anymore. Start from scratch.

That’s the optics. I get why they traded Betts but at this point I also don’t get why they don’t just nix the whole deal. Nobody in Boston wants Verdugo, he’s doomed to fail here. The Red Sox themselves don’t seem to want Graterol anymore. Start from scratch.
Probably because no one would want to trade with them ever again.

What's the scoop with Jessica exactly?  I am not a big fan of female answers (Doris Burke, for example, is a must-mute for me because sometimes I throw-up listening to her and then my dog has to clean it up), but I thought Jessica was exceptional, a rising star.

This news really surprised me, what gives?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the scoop with Jessica exactly?  I am not a big fan of female answers (Doris Burke, for example, is a must-mute for me because sometimes I throw-up listening to her and then my dog has to clean it up), but I thought Jessica was exceptional, a rising star.

Imo she was the weak link of the 3 announcers :shrug:

David Cone is awesome on YES Network. They should get him. 

I thought she was ok, but I was surprised they let her work for the Mets and announce. She had player access for interviews, that’s gotta be a conflict of interest. Also she had a bad Fiers take with a snitches get stitches problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread