What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scary books (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I've never been much of a reader.  Bad ADHD made reading impossible for me as a young person.  I started taking meds in my late 20's and it opened up a whole new world to me with books.  But because I had never really read before, I am an extremely slow reader.  Like, painfully slow.  And even when I did start to read, I was more interested in non fiction books.  Fiction just didn't really seem that interesting to me.  Not knocking it, but just wasn't my cup of tea.  

This past Christmas, I bought my daughter 2 books as stocking stuffers.  We had watched The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, so I thought it would be cool to get her that book.  And then on top of it, I decided to get her The Shining because I had always heard that people loved the book.  I personally thought the movie was bad, but a good friend in HS had always tried to convince me to read the book because the book was so much better than the movie.  But, alas, I didn't read, so... there was that.

Oddly, even though I hated to read, I loved to write.  I had always dreamed of writing a novel, as I'm sure a good portion of Americans had too.  While that dream has faded, I was still fascinated as to how a book could be "scary."  So while on vacation, I decided to read Hill House.  The novel that invented the scary, haunted genre, apparently.  It was terrible.  I honestly thought the writing was terrible, hard to follow and worst of all, not scary at all.  So I moved on to The Shining.  While I really liked this book, I didn't really think of it as scary.  I would say more tense.  But it wasn't like the ghosts were very scary.  And I had a hard time taking the hedge animals coming to life as very scary.  Again, not knocking the book, because I really liked it.  But not scary.

I did a search on Google to see what books are considered the scariest books of all time and almost every returned result listed these two book.  (Funny side note, The Shining actually mentions Hill House in it.)  But after that, there's no real good list of scary books.  I'm not looking for The Grapes of Wrath or Great Expectations.  It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  I'm just wanting to read a book that people find scary.  To see how they convey that sense of terror and fear.

Anybody here have any recommendations to books that might have scared them?  And I'm not looking for a book that was scary because of a murderer or something like that.  I'm looking for a good ghost story.  Something supernatural.  

What say you, FFA?

The Haunting of Hill House is poorly written? Shirley Jackson was an immensely talented writer so it seems like quite a criticism from an admitted non-reader to challenge the quality of an award winning author. Her book We Have Always Lived in a Castle is even better and scarier. 

I would also recommend 

Something Wicked This Way Comes (more YA adult but good and easy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I don’t think ghost stories are particularly scary once one is an adult. The scary books are the ones like  In Cold Blood because it takes you into the mind of real murderers.

Also I don’t think ghost stories are particularly scary once one is an adult. The scary books are the ones like  In Cold Blood because it takes you into the mind of real murderers.
It got a little goofy at the end, but I thought Joe Hill's first book was a creepy ghost story. 

I get what you are saying- real life horrors probably hit me more as an adult.  

The Haunting of Hill House is poorly written? Shirley Jackson was an immensely talented writer so it seems like quite a criticism from an admitted non-reader to challenge the quality of an award winning author. Her book We Have Always Lived in a Castle is even better and scarier. 

I would also recommend 

Something Wicked This Way Comes (more YA adult but good and easy)
We don't all have to have the same opinion, GB.  I doubt I'm the only person who thinks it wasn't that great.  And even if I was the only person who thought that, I'd stand by my opinion.  

We don't all have to have the same opinion, GB.  I doubt I'm the only person who thinks it wasn't that great.  And even if I was the only person who thought that, I'd stand by my opinion.  
I know, it’s just a very bold take to say that aren’t much of a reader, don’t care for fiction and  then trash an author with an O Henry Prize, multiple NY Times Best of honors, Edgar Allen Poe Award, National Book Awards, etc. It’s one thing to say you didn’t care for it but to say it’s terrible is quite an assessment. 

I know, it’s just a very bold take to say that aren’t much of a reader, don’t care for fiction and  then trash an author with an O Henry Prize, multiple NY Times Best of honors, Edgar Allen Poe Award, National Book Awards, etc. It’s one thing to say you didn’t care for it but to say it’s terrible is quite an assessment. 
Again, it's just my opinion.  If I offended her, I invite her to shoot me an IM and we can talk about my thoughts on her writing style.  

Again, it's just my opinion.  If I offended her, I invite her to shoot me an IM and we can talk about my thoughts on her writing style.  
I would recommend a ouija board. She might haunt you from the grave.

Edgar Allan Poe short story collection
So I actually love EAP.  When I was really young, I got a book of his short stories from my grandmother.  I remember reading them (although, usually just parts) and thinking how much I loved his writing.  It was his stories that actually led me to my love of writing.  At the time, and I'm talking like I was probably 8 or 9, I found it mind blowing that there was such dark stories out there from someone so widely known.  Probably just childhood ignorance, but his stories really amazed me.  

KarmaPolice said:
It got a little goofy at the end, but I thought Joe Hill's first book was a creepy ghost story. 
Heart Shaped Box.  And I thought it was one of the scariest books I've ever read.

However, if you're looking for scares, I think short stories might be better than novels.  Try some Thomas Ligotti.

I don't read fiction either. But I understand what you're asking and have been put on the edge of my seat by a book before. To answer your question I'd say some of the Michael Crichton books were scary when I read them back in the day. But I think Poe and Stephen King are both played out. So played; too far out and up their own butts. I think as long as it's well-written and you can commit to it, anything can be scary. I was on the edge of my seat reading the Bourne trilogy. Maybe even some Nelson DeMille stuff, but that's kind of stretching it. That's all I got. Also, maybe you should define "scary" for those oblivious as to how or why a book could "scare" someone like: "I ain't 'fraid of no book."

TheIronSheik said:
I've never been much of a reader.  Bad ADHD made reading impossible for me as a young person.  I started taking meds in my late 20's and it opened up a whole new world to me with books.  But because I had never really read before, I am an extremely slow reader.  Like, painfully slow.  And even when I did start to read, I was more interested in non fiction books.  Fiction just didn't really seem that interesting to me.  Not knocking it, but just wasn't my cup of tea.  

This past Christmas, I bought my daughter 2 books as stocking stuffers.  We had watched The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, so I thought it would be cool to get her that book.  And then on top of it, I decided to get her The Shining because I had always heard that people loved the book.  I personally thought the movie was bad, but a good friend in HS had always tried to convince me to read the book because the book was so much better than the movie.  But, alas, I didn't read, so... there was that.

Oddly, even though I hated to read, I loved to write.  I had always dreamed of writing a novel, as I'm sure a good portion of Americans had too.  While that dream has faded, I was still fascinated as to how a book could be "scary."  So while on vacation, I decided to read Hill House.  The novel that invented the scary, haunted genre, apparently.  It was terrible.  I honestly thought the writing was terrible, hard to follow and worst of all, not scary at all.  So I moved on to The Shining.  While I really liked this book, I didn't really think of it as scary.  I would say more tense.  But it wasn't like the ghosts were very scary.  And I had a hard time taking the hedge animals coming to life as very scary.  Again, not knocking the book, because I really liked it.  But not scary.

I did a search on Google to see what books are considered the scariest books of all time and almost every returned result listed these two book.  (Funny side note, The Shining actually mentions Hill House in it.)  But after that, there's no real good list of scary books.  I'm not looking for The Grapes of Wrath or Great Expectations.  It doesn't have to be a masterpiece.  I'm just wanting to read a book that people find scary.  To see how they convey that sense of terror and fear.

Anybody here have any recommendations to books that might have scared them?  And I'm not looking for a book that was scary because of a murderer or something like that.  I'm looking for a good ghost story.  Something supernatural.  

What say you, FFA?
The Shining is one of the few books where the film adaptation is vastly superior.

I don't read fiction either. But I understand what you're asking and have been put on the edge of my seat by a book before. To answer your question I'd say some of the Michael Crichton books were scary when I read them back in the day. But I think Poe and Stephen King are both played out. So played; too far out and up their own butts. I think as long as it's well-written and you can commit to it, anything can be scary. I was on the edge of my seat reading the Bourne trilogy. Maybe even some Nelson DeMille stuff, but that's kind of stretching it. That's all I got. Also, maybe you should define "scary" for those oblivious as to how or why a book could "scare" someone like: "I ain't 'fraid of no book."
When I think of a scary movie, by definition, the first thing that comes to my mind is something supernatural.  Like ghosts or a haunting of some sort.  Full disclosure, I've never really been scared by any movie, except maybe Poltergeist as a kid, watching it alone in an empty house.  But even though I'm not scared by them, I recognize them as a scary movie.  And I can enjoy some of them.  

So when I say "scary book", really what I was trying to find was a good ghost story or a haunting of some sort.  Both Hill House and The Shining are perfect examples.  So really I'm trying to find something that would be like that.  A good "haunted house" story.  

The Shining is one of the few books where the film adaptation is vastly superior.
How are we friends?  I never thought I'd say this and I hate people who do, but: The book is so much better than the movie.

I think that movie is SOOOOOOOOO overrated.  Take Jack out of it, and it's a huge pile of crap.  So disjointed.  I mean the black guy gets called all the way from Florida just to arrive and be killed.  WTH?  I think even King, himself, said he hated the movie.  Like, right before his "I have a dream" speech he mentioned how he hated it more than bigotry.  Stephen King hated it, too.

When I think of a scary movie, by definition, the first thing that comes to my mind is something supernatural.  Like ghosts or a haunting of some sort.  Full disclosure, I've never really been scared by any movie, except maybe Poltergeist as a kid, watching it alone in an empty house.  But even though I'm not scared by them, I recognize them as a scary movie.  And I can enjoy some of them.  

So when I say "scary book", really what I was trying to find was a good ghost story or a haunting of some sort.  Both Hill House and The Shining are perfect examples.  So really I'm trying to find something that would be like that.  A good "haunted house" story.  
read the Amityville Horror by Jan Anson-  was terrifying.. :oldunsure:

read the Amityville Horror by Jan Anson-  was terrifying.. :oldunsure:
I saw this listed a couple of times in the searches I did.  My worry was now that we know the story was made up, did it take anything away from the book?  Not sure if that question makes sense.  But this was definitely one I was probably going to give a read.

I thought of another that I have read in the last decade or so along with Heart Shaped Box.  

Fellside  by M.R. Carey

How are we friends?  I never thought I'd say this and I hate people who do, but: The book is so much better than the movie.

I think that movie is SOOOOOOOOO overrated.  Take Jack out of it, and it's a huge pile of crap.  So disjointed.  I mean the black guy gets called all the way from Florida just to arrive and be killed.  WTH?  I think even King, himself, said he hated the movie.  Like, right before his "I have a dream" speech he mentioned how he hated it more than bigotry.  Stephen King hated it, too.
I think S.King hated it because he thought the casting of Jack and his portrayal made it seem like he was crazy from the start, and there wasn't enough of a decent into the madness.   But if I remember right, wasn't there backstory in the book about Jack's anger and breaking Danny's arm?

Not sure why MLK hated the movie though.  

I think S.King hated it because he thought the casting of Jack and his portrayal made it seem like he was crazy from the start, and there wasn't enough of a decent into the madness.   But if I remember right, wasn't there backstory in the book about Jack's anger and breaking Danny's arm?

Not sure why MLK hated the movie though.  
Yeah.  The broken arm was the first thing.  

I thought The Shining was the scariest book I’ve read. Read it alone at home at around age 15. Still remember the page number of the bathtub scene, which scared the heck out of me. I liked the movie too personally.

I used to read a lot of horror books when I was younger. Read most everything Clive Barker wrote, remember liking Peter Straub too. 

Dont watch a lot of horror movies really, though I recall “The Conjuring” and “The Ring” scaring the heck out of me.  I’ve never had any interest whatsoever in slasher type movies (though I liked a few of the Nightmare on Elm St. movies when I was younger).

I've read alot of horror in my time. The absolute scariest book I've ever knocked down was The Exorcist. I read it when I was about 17  and had yet to see the movie. I was literally up all night freaked out.

I thought The Shining was the scariest book I’ve read. Read it alone at home at around age 15. Still remember the page number of the bathtub scene, which scared the heck out of me. I liked the movie too personally.

I used to read a lot of horror books when I was younger. Read most everything Clive Barker wrote, remember liking Peter Straub too. 

Dont watch a lot of horror movies really, though I recall “The Conjuring” and “The Ring” scaring the heck out of me.  I’ve never had any interest whatsoever in slasher type movies (though I liked a few of the Nightmare on Elm St. movies when I was younger).
I started a little earlier and 2 of the first horror books I read were The Shining and Pet Semetary in Middle School.  Both freaked me out.  Misery did a bit as well, but I remember being a little bored with the parts of reading the book he is writing.   

I started a little earlier and 2 of the first horror books I read were The Shining and Pet Semetary in Middle School.  Both freaked me out.  Misery did a bit as well, but I remember being a little bored with the parts of reading the book he is writing.   
I also read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger. I thought Pet Semetary was definitely scary. Salem’s Lot too. Can’t remember Misery, though for some reason I’m pretty sure I read it.

This is like the 4th time this has been mentioned in this thread. So I just bought it. 

See ya on the other side. 
hope you like it.  Some definitely scary imagery, but I think a knock on a couple books of his I have read is the same knock I have against his dad - doesn't seem to stick the landing for me.  

The most frightening book I've ever read is The Hot Zone by Richard Preston, but I don't think that's what the OP is going for.

Agree with whoever said above to grab a short story collection. Stephen King (who's a better short story writer than he is at doorstop novels), Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts (which has some of the most unsettling stories I've ever read, though I don't know how "scary" they are), anything by Paul Tremblay.

I bought The Exorcist and Amityville Horror.  I do have one book in my queue ahead of them, so at my pace of reading I expect to be done sometime by 2030.  

I’m currently reading Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. It has elements that would be pretty scary. Haunted houses, secret societies, Jim Crow laws.

a couple other scary books I’ve read was Child of God by Cormac McCarthy and The Devil all the time by Donald Ray Pollock

Users who are viewing this thread